PDA

View Full Version : Rex Ryan's big mouth strikes again....

ThunderGun
02-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Per PFT, the Giants were going to cut Victor Cruz in the preseason, to move him onto their practice squad.....but they didn't, because Rex Ryan can't keep his mouth shut, and had previously said that he wanted to sign him. ROTFL!

Cruz was in a fight for one of the final roster spots as cutdown day approached at the end of the 2010 preseason. The team liked Cruz, but they also liked Derek Hagan and felt that Cruz could use some time on the practice squad. Giants vice president of player evaluation Chris Mara admitted to Mike Garofalo of the Newark Star-Ledger that the salsa dancing receiver was destined for waivers before some intervention from up above.

“He was saved by some upper-echelon Giants front-office people,” Mara said. “I’ll put it that way.”

According to Mara, Giants fans have Rex Ryan to thank for Cruz making it through the final cut. Cruz scored three touchdown passes to spice up an otherwise unmemorable preseason game between the Giants and Jets in the summer of 2010 and Ryan raved about him after the game. The voluble Jets coach went so far as to say he hoped the Giants cut him so that the Jets could pick him up. That helped the Giants make the decision to keep him because they felt sure that Cruz wouldn’t clear waivers and make it to their practice squad.

mikemac2001
02-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Better for us

mybills
02-01-2012, 10:14 AM
I think Cruz earned that spot, no matter what Mara or Rex said.

Novacane
02-01-2012, 10:34 AM
I'd say him Scoring 3 TD in the game had more to do with them deciding he wouldn't clear waivers than anything bigmouth said.

Jaydog57
02-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Sounds like Ryan was almost trying to get credit where credit was not due.

MattyNH
02-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Rex uses a lot of sarcasm, I find it hard to believe it was a done deal, Cruz cut = signed by Jets. Three TD's likely had more to do with him making the final cut than Rex Ryan saying sarcastic things.

streetkings01
02-01-2012, 01:00 PM
I think the Giants were just trying to get under the Jets skin with that one.

mayotm
02-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Based on the thread title, I assumed Rex had guaranteed the Jets will win the 2013 Super Bowl. I'm sure that will be coming soon.

The Jokeman
02-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Better for us
because the Jets didn't get Cruz or because we ended up with Hagan? [/SARCASM]

streetkings01
02-01-2012, 03:07 PM
because the Jets didn't get Cruz or because we ended up with Hagan? [/SARCASM]I'm guessing a little of both?

TigerJ
02-01-2012, 11:22 PM
As productive as Derek Hagan was for Buffalo late in the season when most everyone else wasn't doing squat, I'm surprised he spent most of the season just watching football. He has a realistic chance to make the team next season.

I don't really care about Rex Ryan and Victor Cruz since there's not much chance he'll ever be playing in Buffalo.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-02-2012, 05:12 AM
If you are keeping a guy because Rex Ryan said he would pick him up, you might need a new job outside of the NFL.

Night Train
02-02-2012, 05:14 AM
Big Mouth Strikes Again ?

I just popped in a Smiths CD at work...

mybills
02-02-2012, 08:55 AM
I had my eye on Victor in pre-season and was completely surprised that they didn't start him sooner. I don't care who he plays for, that kid is good! :up:

Mindbender
02-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Talk about sticking your foot in your mouth.

:couch: