PDA

View Full Version : My First 2012 "Idiot Mock" Award goes to:

TigerJ
02-03-2012, 11:52 AM
http://newnfldraft.com/nfl-mock-draft-first-round-picks-9-16/

I've seen some poor NFL mocks this year, but until now, none has sunk quite low enough to earn my coveted "Idiot Mock" award. So what did the New NFL Draft do to finally break the ice. The first pick they have for Buffalo is Courtney Upshaw. This pick doesn't earn it. Personally, I don't think Upshaw is an especially good fit for defensive end in a 4-3 defense, but he can play it and probably be productive. The pick is made a little worse in my mind because in this mock Quinton Coples is still available and the Bills pass on him. There are questions about Coples, but I think most of those have been satisfactorily answered, and he was outstanding at the Senior Bowl.

The second round pick is Andrew Datko, offensive tackle out of Florida State. Again not a terrible pick. Whether or not Buffalo needs an offensive tackle in this draft depends on how the Bills see Demetrius Bell and Chris Hairston. Many outsiders believe it to be a need however, and that is not an unreasonable opinion. The draft goes downhill from here.

Third round pick: Jeff Allen, offensive tackle. Huh? They need two? Some think Allen would be better off moving inside where the Bills have and like Eric Wood, Andy Levitre, Craig Urbik, and Chad Rinehart. Not a whole lot of room for more IMO.

Fourth round: Kellen Moore QB and Matt McCants. I get Kellen Moore. He wouldn't be my pick for a QB, but it's certainly defensible, and I'm not awarding the author "idiot mock" points for this pick, but a third offensive tackle? Really? Are the Bills going to dump all their veterans and go with an all rookie tackle group? McCants as the only tackle I could see, just not as part of a whole herd of tackles.

In the fifth round, the Bills pick: Derek Wolf, a 3-4 defensive end out of Cincinnati. Just what the Bills need to facillitate their switch back to a 4-3 defensive alignment! Of course, he could come inside and compete at DT where Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus, Torrell Troup, and Kellen Heard are probably all going to beat him out.

In the sixth round, the Bills select: Darron Thomas QB, and Adrian Cole ILB. Another QB? Really? Buffalo may not retain any of their veteran free agent inside linebackers (Andra Davis and Kirk Morrison) or guys that could move inside like Reggie Torbor, but they still have Kelvin Sheppard, who has been anointed starter, and Chris White, who is probably going to beat out a 6th rounder. If the Bills think White is that bad, they can keep one of their free agents at a reasonable cost as a backup.

In the seventh round, the Bills select Peter Obourn, WR. Peter Obourn who?
This guy is so obscure I couldn't even find height and weight on the internet. This is the guy who is going to upgrade our receiving corps? Wide receiver is a need, but tapping a division 3 guy is not going to help.

Meanwhile, there is no 4-3 outside linebacker, no tight end, no cornerback in this draft. All are arguably greater needs than offensive tackle.

I don't do mocks because I don't have the time to do one justice, especially a multiple round mock like this, but really, a dart throwing chimpanzee could hit on more good picks than this yahoo.

Cali512
02-03-2012, 12:03 PM
I like the Kellen Moore and Upshaw. Thats it tho

PTI
02-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Kellen Moore is looking more like he will not be drafted.

The Jokeman
02-03-2012, 12:09 PM
I like the Kellen Moore and Upshaw. Thats it tho
You did see Moore measured 5-11 and 191 lbs at the Senior Bowl? That's dangerously small at the NFL level. While he's got great intangibles sometimes size is a factor so to me he's a guy you take no sooner than the 6th Round but honestly would let him be the feel good story on some other team.

Cali512
02-03-2012, 12:12 PM
You did see Moore measured 5-11 and 191 lbs at the Senior Bowl? That's dangerously small at the NFL level. While he's got great intangibles sometimes size is a factor so to me he's a guy you take no sooner than the 6th Round but honestly would let him be the feel good story on some other team.

He needs to gain weight. Brees is 6-0. I like him later in the draft too. Also with our spread formation and quick pass sceme, that could defintly help him out.

T-Long
02-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Problem is, most draft "experts" don't dig deep into what a team needs the most. That's why so many get ridiculed.

JCBills
02-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Coples really wasn't that great at the Senior Bowl. A mid rounder made him look pedestrian for a good chunk of it.

TigerJ
02-03-2012, 01:11 PM
I'll grant there are varied opinions on Upshaw, Coples, and Moore, but you'll notice I really didn't take issue with Upshaw and Moore being picked, or Coples not being picked. It was the second and third offensive tackles, the second QB, a wide receiver not being picked until round 7, and the lack of an outside linebacker, tight end, or cornerback in this mock for the Bills. You'd have thought he'd made an effort to meet a couple of those needs.

Bert102176
02-03-2012, 03:28 PM
no DL player in this draft is worth a top 15 pick hell I wouldn't take any in the top 20 but someone will cause they are idiots and a team that probably will is the Bills

SABURZFAN
02-03-2012, 03:44 PM
wait until next month when ALL the idiots in here come up with their lists.

The Jokeman
02-03-2012, 03:46 PM
He needs to gain weight. Brees is 6-0. I like him later in the draft too. Also with our spread formation and quick pass sceme, that could defintly help him out.
Brees is an exception not the rule.

Pinkerton Security
02-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Coples really wasn't that great at the Senior Bowl. A mid rounder made him look pedestrian for a good chunk of it.

I didnt see it myself but Kiper reported that Coples was dominating at the Senior Bowl, while Upshaw looked overmatched.

kingJofNYC
02-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Upshaw was in no way overmatched, but it's Mel Kiper so expect hyperbole, Clausen....nuff said.