• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fitzpatrick'sbeard
    Veteran Zoner
    • Aug 2011

Sabres going to buyers at trade deadline? sounds like it

With the trade deadline less than four weeks away, Black was asked if the current three game points streak and improved play would alter what they’re thinking as far as deals are concerned. “I don’t think it impacts it that much” Black said. “Our goal is to see what we can do to make our team better and if we have an opportunity to do it without sacrificing a long term goal of winning a championship, that philosophy remains.” Black added “I think there’s a real opportunity here to pick up pieces that help us in years beyond.”

As a follow up to that response, Black was asked if that means the Sabres will be more of a buyer than a seller. “What we won’t do is just go all in right now like you see a lot of teams do” Black responded. “Its not a model we want to follow that we sacrifice for a short term risk. If there’s an opportunity to make this team better for the years beyond, Darcy will do that.”

The Sabres President said this season reminds him of the 2005-06 campaign with the Pittsburgh Penguins when Black was serving as their team President. Sidney Crosby was coming in and Mario Lemieux was still playing. Pittsburgh brought in John Leclair, Ziggy Palffy and Sergei Gonchar during the off season and expectations were very high. Lemieux was limited to about 20 games, Palffy was injured early and Gonchar had an off year and those lofty expectations were not achieved that season.
    Last edited by Fitzpatrick'sbeard; 02-03-2012, 06:01 PM.
  • mightysimi
    Buckle me in on the highway of sin
    • Mar 2010

Re: Sabres going to buyers at trade deadline? sounds like it

Why in the world would this team be buyers? I'm pretty sure this is the standard, well, we might do something pitch to keep the fans happy when they know they can't consider it.

Comment

• Fitzpatrick'sbeard
      Veteran Zoner
      • Aug 2011

Sabres were buyers last season.

Late on February 27, the team acquired Brad Boyes from the St. Louis Blues for a second-round draft pick. This was the Sabres' sole trade of the deadline. After Pegula's official takeover of the team, the Sabres finished the regular season 16–4–4.
      Last edited by Fitzpatrick'sbeard; 02-05-2012, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• SabreEleven
        • Aug 2002

and what a horrible purchase it was.

Comment

• PTI
          Banned
          • Jan 2011

If you are a buyer then you are a seller too. Lots of guys playing right now that would not be able to be sent down and making lots of money.

Comment

• trapezeus
            Legendary Zoner
            • Oct 2004

i read that as black preparing for selling.

"we won't sacrifice long term" means to me that they won't give out prospects for a name player.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

I think Trap's right.

As a follow up to that response, Black was asked if that means the Sabres will be more of a buyer than a seller. “What we won’t do is just go all in right now like you see a lot of teams do” Black responded. “Its not a model we want to follow that we sacrifice for a short term risk. If there’s an opportunity to make this team better for the years beyond, Darcy will do that.”
              It all references the future, and it talks about not going all-in.

I don't know how people come to the conclusion that it means the Sabres will be buyers, but I guess some people see what they want to see instead of what's actually there.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

If anything, it almost sounds like he's willing to try to obtain guys who will help in the future, which would mean being a seller.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mski
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37
                  I think Trap's right.

It all references the future, and it talks about not going all-in.

I don't know how people come to the conclusion that it means the Sabres will be buyers, but I guess some people see what they want to see instead of what's actually there.
                  just because LW thinks we'll be buyers, when the rest of us think they'll be selling, doesnt mean they're doing either
                  RIP Tommy D!
                  12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

• rbochan
                    Zamboni Driver
                    • Jun 2008

Come on. Aside from Hecht's contract, they don't have the cap space to be buyers.
                    ...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
                    it's Don't Tread On Me.

Comment

Working...
                    X