PDA

View Full Version : Fewell almost lost the game!

Cali512
02-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Omg what a horrible play call for half the game! Glad the giants won but omg that was so reminicent of the bills with that prevent bull ****! But great came none the less. If Fewell did what he did vs the 49ers they woulda blown them out! But NE lost and im a happy fella!

IAG
02-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Perry Fewell coached his ass off...wtf were you watching?

YardRat
02-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Two drives, one at the end of the first and one to begin the second. 17 points. I'll take that every time against Brady.

We had an OK defense when Fewell was here, it was the QB's that sucked donkey balls.

methos4ever
02-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Great calls most of the game, a little leery of taking your best rusher and putting him in coverage though. Very happy for him!

Cali512
02-05-2012, 09:31 PM

Not really lol. He did i think a total of 4 blitzes the whole game. Rest of the time he would rush 3-4 at a time. But ig u guys are in happy mode, ill come back to this in a few days after people calm down

Cali512
02-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Great calls most of the game, a little leery of taking your best rusher and putting him in coverage though. Very happy for him!

Im happy for him, but still, the gameplan was stupid. U have 4 amazing passrushers, they ran very lil blitzes or stunts. Just sayin lol

Cleve
02-05-2012, 09:38 PM
I dunno - a defense that holds Tom Brady and the Patriots to about 1/2 their normal point output - that's a GOOD defense.

A couple questionable calls greatly helped the Patriots - that offensive holding call that took the Giants from 3rd and less than 1 to 3rd and 11 killed the Giants drive near the end of the 2nd half, and set up the Patriots touch down drive was one. The 2nd - the failure to call defensive pass interference that result in a Giant punt was the other.

You take away those two plays - the call and the non-call, and the Patriots might have been held to single digits in offense. Great game, and great defense by the Giants - they really dialed up the pressure on Brady in the second half - and as we know... pressure Brady and he makes mistakes, including that huge interception. :)

DynaPaul
02-05-2012, 09:39 PM
They really didn't start getting penetration until the second half. The game was called good. Giants win!

Cali512
02-05-2012, 09:42 PM
They really didn't start getting penetration until the second half. The game was called good. Giants win!

All im saying is when u have 4 great passrushers, u would think they would of tryd alot more to get to him. The teams that do decent against the pats are Balt, Pitt, NYJ. All great passrushing teams. This is really all im saying, he did do well with the pass D, but when it came to the passrush, Spagnola woulda killed Tom Brady with the weapons NYG has now.

DynaPaul
02-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Yeah but when they beat them last time in the SB it was done with a lot of 4 man rushing. Why change the formula?

Cali512
02-05-2012, 09:44 PM
I dunno - a defense that holds Tom Brady and the Patriots to about 1/2 their normal point output - that's a GOOD defense.

A couple questionable calls greatly helped the Patriots - that offensive holding call that took the Giants from 3rd and less than 1 to 3rd and 11 killed the Giants drive near the end of the 2nd half, and set up the Patriots touch down drive was one. The 2nd - the failure to call defensive pass interference that result in a Giant punt was the other.

You take away those two plays - the call and the non-call, and the Patriots might have been held to single digits in offense. Great game, and great defense by the Giants - they really dialed up the pressure on Brady in the second half - and as we know... pressure Brady and he makes mistakes, including that huge interception. :)

Ya but the messed up play that left Branch wide open, the Welker drop wide open, Gronk wide open Woodhead wide open, not to mention not getting any pressure till the last drive. Brady could of had so much more, but he wasnt playin like his self. I am happy for Fewel. All im saying is he did what he did when he was with us. Not doing any pressure and when Brady starts to get going he plays back.

YardRat
02-05-2012, 09:45 PM

I'm wondering if JPP improvised on that or if it was an actual call.

Cali512
02-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Yeah but when they beat them last time in the SB it was done with a lot of 4 man rushing. Why change the formula?

Because if i remember, Antonio Pearce had a nice game rushing and so did Veek. Not to mention there interior was alot better back then. Now there a finesse DL side from Tuck. They should of done alot of interior blitzes. But they won and im happy. Im just saying i dont think it would of been close. Notice the times they did rush Brady sucked! Its been there strategy for the whole season, why stop now?

methos4ever
02-05-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm wondering if JPP improvised on that or if it was an actual call.
He did it twice - once on the TD, where he played like he was going for a outside rush vs LT, looped around and went into coverage into middle and also on a woodhead pass for 10+ yards where he dropped straight down middle and left void on the right sideline.

Mr. Pink
02-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Fewell called a poor first half but made the necessary adjustments after the Pats marched down the field after their opening 2nd half scoring drive.

Can't bag on the guy for calling a game where his D only allowed 17 points.

Cali512
02-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Fewell called a poor first half but made the necessary adjustments after the Pats marched down the field after their opening 2nd half scoring drive.

Can't bag on the guy for calling a game where his D only allowed 17 points.

There finally sense. He did a decent job, but Brady was off today. And they got sorda lucky on the many drops or errant throws

Thurmal
02-05-2012, 11:16 PM
The only stat that matters is points.

His "D" held NE to 17. Job well done!

jamze132
02-06-2012, 01:56 AM
Eh, his 1st half defense scheme sucked. If NEs WRs didn't **** the bed, they could have commanded the 1st half.

imbondz
02-06-2012, 04:20 AM
The only stat that matters is points.

His "D" held NE to 17. Job well done!

that's what I was going to say. Only the 2nd time all season the Pats were kept to under 20 points. i'd say that's a pretty good defensive execution.

Night Train
02-06-2012, 04:25 AM
About the only " mistakes " he made was leaving some of his LB's in on obvious passing downs, when extra DB's would have been prudent.

Otherwise, he called a good game.

Historian
02-06-2012, 04:46 AM
It was comical watching OP on facebook, throwing in the towel every time the Pats got a first down, lol.

I should have taken OP +3 whines.

:snicker:

Cleve
02-06-2012, 05:36 AM
You hold the Patriots to 17 points in one of the Patriots biggest games ever - Belichek and Brady both wanted this win VERY badly - and you've got one heck of a defense, I don't care what the stats for the year say.

What's amazing - Tom Coughlin almost lost his job last year - Giants were becoming infamous for end of year collapses - and half-way thru this year the rumor mill about his departure was going again. Giants fans were hating on him hard.

Funny thing is - I had more confidence in the Giants than many Giants fans. The Giants are notorious spoilers - they seem to be able to exceed expectations when they need to. That game last night reminded me in many ways of the Bills-Giants Super-Bowl from 21 years ago. The Giants DOMINATED the clock - something like 37 minutes to 23 minutes, they slowed the pace down, held a high scoring power offense to a low point total, much like they did the Bills in 1991.

It just seems to be the way the Giants do business. Defense that grinds you down, offense does enough at the right time to win. It's funny too, because none of the personnel from 21 years ago remain on the team, but the product is much the same.

Another similarity - Patriots had a slim lead at the half, just like the Bills - 10-9 last night - Bills led 12-10 at the half in 1991.

BTW, the Giants offensive coordinator, Kevin Gilbride - was on the Bills staff as OC 10 years ago, and has worked for the Giants for the last 5 seasons, two of those 5 ended with SuperBowl victories. Sigh!

ParanoidAndroid
02-06-2012, 07:40 AM
About the only " mistakes " he made was leaving some of his LB's in on obvious passing downs, when extra DB's would have been prudent.

Otherwise, he called a good game.

I saw the same thing. He got away with it when Brady threw the ball to Gronkowski late and it got picked by Blackburn who was beaten badly.

Throughout the game, his insistance on covering Hernandez with Boley and Blackburn could have been much worse.

What they did well was make Brady move and his timing was not there.

methos4ever
02-06-2012, 08:12 AM
I saw the same thing. He got away with it when Brady threw the ball to Gronkowski late and it got picked by Blackburn who was beaten badly.

Throughout the game, his insistance on covering Hernandez with Boley and Blackburn could have been much worse.

What they did well was make Brady move and his timing was not there.
Just a few minutes ago Boley said they stayed in the game instead of Dime personnel because they didn't want the Pats run game to gash them and allow for deeper PA passes.

Joe Fo Sho
02-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Not really lol. He did i think a total of 4 blitzes the whole game. Rest of the time he would rush 3-4 at a time. But ig u guys are in happy mode, ill come back to this in a few days after people calm down

So what?

Blitzing constantly doesn't mean you're a good defensive coordinator. He held that Pats to 17 points, not bad.

trapezeus
02-06-2012, 10:38 AM
though to be fair, if it was the bills and we let brady convert 4th and 16 and then had 12 men on the field with 9 seconds to play, gronks catches the hailmary and we have a week of the press saying the patriots are just so great.

the giants survived that break down, i don't know if the bills could.

justasportsfan
02-06-2012, 10:41 AM
who cares about "almost" ? He didn't and thats all that matters.

ThunderGun
02-06-2012, 10:50 AM
I was watching the game with a bunch of Giants fans, and they kept screaming "WHY ARE THEY GIVING THE PATS WR's AN 8-YARD CUSHION?!?!?!?!?!

lol

DraftBoy
02-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Just a few minutes ago Boley said they stayed in the game instead of Dime personnel because they didn't want the Pats run game to gash them and allow for deeper PA passes.

And that was the right call, for as athletic at Hernandez is he beat them more on crossing routes than with anything up the seam. Gronk did get well behind Blackburn but Brady didn't execute the throw and it got picked.

Gronk was far from healthy and it showed. Really hurt that offense.

MikeInRoch
02-06-2012, 11:19 AM
I've been hearing that the 12-men might have actually been intentional by the Giants. Sure, they gave up 5 yards, but they stopped the play and ran a lot of time off...

methos4ever
02-06-2012, 12:36 PM
I've been hearing that the 12-men might have actually been intentional by the Giants. Sure, they gave up 5 yards, but they stopped the play and ran a lot of time off...
On that play the lineman that was running off was huffing and had his helmet off - I don't think it was intentional at all. Remember, if Brady would have scored on that, they could decline the penalty.

ParanoidAndroid
02-06-2012, 02:51 PM
And that was the right call, for as athletic at Hernandez is he beat them more on crossing routes than with anything up the seam. Gronk did get well behind Blackburn but Brady didn't execute the throw and it got picked.

Gronk was far from healthy and it showed. Really hurt that offense.

That's why I think the giants kind of got a bit lucky with that game plan. Normally, the Pats would execute those plays. Those drops and late throws really hurt the Pats. (which I celebrated) If they hit a couple of those, that game plan would have come back to bite the G-men. But, hey.... it must have been the right game plan because they won.

imbondz
02-06-2012, 03:28 PM
the 12 men on the field call, should be a penalty where the offense gets all the time back, otherwise, what stops a team from doing that intentionally? it knocked about 9 seconds off the clock and the Pats got 5 yards. I loved it, but I bet that rule gets looked at.

DraftBoy
02-06-2012, 03:28 PM
That's why I think the giants kind of got a bit lucky with that game plan. Normally, the Pats would execute those plays. Those drops and late throws really hurt the Pats. (which I celebrated) If they hit a couple of those, that game plan would have come back to bite the G-men. But, hey.... it must have been the right game plan because they won.

Not necessairly. Have you seen any other game where Brady got hit as much as he did last night? The pressure got to Brady and it was clear that it affected him. He was late on reads, quick to pull the trigger and short armed a few balls (throw to Gronk, if I recall correctly).

Giants did what they've been doing all season, telling the front four to attack and not quit. I'm not sure quite how much of that is luck.

JCBills
02-06-2012, 03:29 PM

If you're going to blitz Brady, you better get there. The Giants have enough talent on their DL to not have to blitz.

MikeInRoch
02-06-2012, 03:30 PM
the 12 men on the field call, should be a penalty where the offense gets all the time back, otherwise, what stops a team from doing that intentionally? it knocked about 9 seconds off the clock and the Pats got 5 yards. I loved it, but I bet that rule gets looked at.

If the offense notices, it suddenly gives them the ability to work the center of the field, as there will be a clock stoppage no matter what.

DraftBoy
02-06-2012, 03:32 PM
If the offense notices, it suddenly gives them the ability to work the center of the field, as there will be a clock stoppage no matter what.

Its like an offsides call, hike the ball and take your shot, there is no penalty for throwing an incompletion or INT.

YardRat
02-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Not necessairly. Have you seen any other game where Brady got hit as much as he did last night? The pressure got to Brady and it was clear that it affected him. He was late on reads, quick to pull the trigger and short armed a few balls (throw to Gronk, if I recall correctly).

Giants did what they've been doing all season, telling the front four to attack and not quit. I'm not sure quite how much of that is luck.

I don't think Brady got pestered as much as many would like to believe, especially in the second and third quarters. He was barely on the field in the first to boot, but admittedly the Giants got pretty decent and consistent pressure in the fourth.

imbondz
02-06-2012, 03:53 PM
I don't think Brady got pestered as much as many would like to believe, especially in the second and third quarters. He was barely on the field in the first to boot, but admittedly the Giants got pretty decent and consistent pressure in the fourth.

agreed. the Giants won the 1st and 4th quarters, and the Pats won the 2nd and 3rd