Interactive Mock Draft Help Please (Again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CleveSteve
    • Apr 2011

Interactive Mock Draft Help Please (Again)

Hey guys, Steve from a Browns board again. We're probably going to be doing our interactive mock after the combine and I thought I'd pick for the Bills again this year. Last year we got through pick 140 in our draft. Here's what I came away with after some trades (of only current-year draft picks... no players or future picks)

Rd1 3. Buffalo (4-12) - CleveSteve --DE JJ Watt, Wisconsin
    Rd2 9 (41) Buffalo Bills - CleveSteve Brooks Reed, LB - Arizona
    Rd3 4 (68) Buffalo Bills - CleveSteve - QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
    Rd3 31 (95) Buffalo Bills - CleveSteve - Marcus Gilbert, OT Florida
    Rd3 32 (96) Buffalo Bills - CleveSteve - James Brewer, OT Indiana
    Rd4 25 (122) Buffalo Bills (from Seattle) - CleveSteve - Colin McCarthy, ILB Miami (Sheppard went one pick earlier but I was going McCarthy)
    draft ended at pick 140
    I think I had the 7th and the compensatory 7th left.

Anyways, I came on here to see what you guys think you need this year. I see you're switching to a 4-3? What would you guys see as your clear needs? If any of you are more adventurous, could you help me out with projected starters and any key reserves you guys have under contract for next year? Thanks!
  • tampabay25690
    • Feb 2004

Re: Interactive Mock Draft Help Please (Again)

DE is a huge need we need to get a pass rusher.
    OLB help is a need.
    CB we could add 1 or 2 no doubt.
    WR big play WR
    QB, obviously we need to develop a guy when Fitz is gone
    OT
    GO Gators!!!!!!
    GO GATORS!!

Comment

• CleveSteve
      • Apr 2011

Thanks TB. do you guys just need a RDE rush end? Or do you need both RDE and LDE? I know when the Browns went to a 4-3 this past year we had to go D-Line early and often.

When you say OT, both sides like last year? Or only RT or LT?

My guess is you're looking for more of a WLB type LB? Let Kelsay and Chris White power on the strong side for now?

Thanks again.

Comment

• tampabay25690
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by CleveSteve
        Thanks TB. do you guys just need a RDE rush end? Or do you need both RDE and LDE? I know when the Browns went to a 4-3 this past year we had to go D-Line early and often.

When you say OT, both sides like last year? Or only RT or LT?

My guess is you're looking for more of a WLB type LB? Let Kelsay and Chris White power on the strong side for now?

Thanks again.
        Kelsay IMO will strictly be a DE in the 4-3 thats where he was best last year.
        White probably backup ILB to Shepperd, and Barnett.
        I think Barnett and Merriman will be your OLB's and Batten, Moats will be your backup guys as well.
        OT both need depth.
        Is hairston the starting LT maybe.......What happens with Bell......
        We defiitely need a pass rushing DE bad, we really don't have 1......

Carrington was built more for the 3-4 and so is Edwards.
        Kelsay is probaby are pass rushing DE right now.......Thats scary.

Bottom line is if you ask more Bills fans, we need to get to the QB.......If we drafted all defense I don't think we would be mad at all.....

Hope this helps
        GO Gators!!!!!!
        GO GATORS!!

Comment

• CleveSteve
          • Apr 2011

Cool. Sounds like from what you're telling me you could use a RE and LE with pass rush ability. I think at 10 there is definitely some value to be gained (in the form of a 2nd or a 3rd) in moving down to 13-18 from 10 and then picking up Upshaw or Perry where the value makes more sense. Maybe get Mike Adams or Jonathan Martin in the first then look at Mercilus or Curry in the second if you were looking to upgrade LT (but you said RT is more of a priority). I really like Cam Johnson as a 4-3 LDE. He's got good size and he really flashed as a good pass rusher at the Senior Bowl practice week. A good 3rd round target. Maybe something like this:

After trade down to Bengals #17 from Oakland and getting Cincy's 2nd (#51) with Bengals moving up to #10 for Richardson, or down to #18 with Chargers moving up to get Reiff (depending on how the first 9 go) doing something like this

1 (17/18). Courtney Upshaw / Nick Perry / Whitney Mercilus DE
          2a (41). Bobby Wagner / Zach Brown OLB
          2b (49/51). Brandon Boykin CB / Chase Minnefield CB / Alfonso Dennard CB
          3 (72). Cam Johnson / Jared Crick DE
          4a (107ish depending on comps). Josh Norman / Dwight Bentley CB
          4b (126ish). Brandon Mosely / Levy Adcock / Andrew Datko OT
          5a (142ish). Jarius Wright / Marvin Jones / Marvin McNutt / Devier Posey / AJ Jenkins WR
          5b. (145ish/). Another guy from the WR list above
          6 (180ish). BJ Coleman / Austin Davis / Russell Wilson QB
          7 (220ish). Jaye Howard / Akiem Hicks DT

Brandon Boykin CB (I actually like him a lot... much better value IMO than Dennard in 20s, or more physical but not as quick Minnefield or Leonard Johnson)

First choices in bold.
          Last edited by CleveSteve; 02-07-2012, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

You're completely bagging any credibility the mock might have by trading down, and I think the results from last season support that.

Stay at 10 and quit dicking around like it's fantasy football and you'll have a more realistic result.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• JCBills
              • Jan 2010

When I get home I can post the list I'm working on.

Fits for the draft by round, influenced by reports of some of the games Bills scouts attended (thanks DB), need, value, fit, and upside.

Comment

• CleveSteve
                • Apr 2011

Well, this mock is done with other people representing the other teams. I'm not trading down against air. You're right, I have to have a plan in place for sure if I can't move down. In that case, I'd probably do something like:

10. Kirkpatrick
                41. Curry
                72. Johnson

and then sort out the rest of the picks based on what I put above. Just no value to me at 10 at the DE position (all 18-40 players), and CB gets awfully cloudy after #50 to me.
                Last edited by CleveSteve; 02-07-2012, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• JCBills
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by CleveSteve
                  Well, this mock is done with other people representing the other teams. I'm not trading down against air. You're right, I have to have a plan in place for sure if I can't move down. In that case, I'd probably do something like:

10. Kirkpatrick
                  41. Curry
                  72. Johnson

and then sort out the rest of the picks based on what I put above. Just no value to me at 10 at the DE position, and CB gets awfully cloudy after a #40 to me.
                  That is one of the situations I have mapped out as far as 1 and 2 goes. 3rd rounder might be an offensive pick if they go D early and often with 1 and 2. WR, TE, OT, or QB. I have Cousins in that spot.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                    Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by JCBills
                    That is one of the situations I have mapped out as far as 1 and 2 goes. 3rd rounder might be an offensive pick if they go D early and often with 1 and 2. WR, TE, OT, or QB. I have Cousins in that spot.
                    i always favor big men but passing on kirk will be hard.. dude is a straight monster... tough choice...

can we still get qualtiy pass rushers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds? we basically need 2 new backside rushers....

i think curry, johnson, branch, jones, bequette, and thats about it... i consider crawford to be more a mid round guy...

i guess it depends on free agency...
                    Last edited by NOT THE DUDE...; 02-07-2012, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• JCBills
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by MARCELL DAREUS POWER
                      i always favor big men but passing on kirk will be hard.. dude is a straight monster... tough choice...
                      It isn't an easy spot.

We have needs on D everywhere except DT and S.

I've been saying we need to address the pass rush since Schobel left. I've hoped for a DE/OLB (depending on which year we're talking about due to scheme) for years.

They haven't taken a stab at it since whiffing on Maybin, which was a Jauron pick. Now here we are still needing a pass rush, but as far as #10 goes, I'm not sold on a lot of the DE/OLB types in that spot. Granted, some of them might even go before then, so who knows.

Kirkpatrick would be hard to pass up. He has the length you want to cover today's bigger WRs, and looks scheme versatile. Kirkpatrick, Williams, and McKelvin would be 3 young additions to the position in recent years, and could form a solid 1-2-3 at the CB position. I wouldn't object to helping solidify the secondary as much as we need a pass rusher. Taking a shot on a DE in the 2nd looks more appealing to me with who might be available there.

Comment

• JCBills
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by MARCELL DAREUS POWER

can we still get qualtiy pass rushers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds? we basically need 2 new backside rushers....

i think curry, johnson, branch, jones, bequette, and thats about it... i consider crawford to be more a mid round guy...

i guess it depends on free agency...
                        I'm thinking DE 2nd and 4th/5th. With two picks in the 4th and 5th, there are a few guys I'd take a shot on. I'll have the list up tonight, which is still a work in progress.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                          • Jan 2010

It isn't an easy spot.

We have needs on D everywhere except DT and S.

I've been saying we need to address the pass rush since Schobel left. I've hoped for a DE/OLB (depending on which year we're talking about due to scheme) for years.

They haven't taken a stab at it since whiffing on Maybin, which was a Jauron pick. Now here we are still needing a pass rush, but as far as #10 goes, I'm not sold on a lot of the DE/OLB types in that spot. Granted, some of them might even go before then, so who knows.

Kirkpatrick would be hard to pass up. He has the length you want to cover today's bigger WRs, and looks scheme versatile. Kirkpatrick, Williams, and McKelvin would be 3 young additions to the position in recent years, and could form a solid 1-2-3 at the CB position. I wouldn't object to helping solidify the secondary as much as we need a pass rusher. Taking a shot on a DE in the 2nd looks more appealing to me with who might be available there.

i generally agree as i think most honest people would say kirk is slightly better than upshaw. the dilemma becomes if we dont add anyone on that backside rush, are you willing to count on a 2nd and 3rd round rookie to supply blindside pressure. ( the most important spot on d)

plus you are gambling if you think one of those 5 guys will be there in rd 2 and 3... maybe we will be forced to take a look at brooks, or spencer in fa in order to take the better player in kirk... seems like we want to take the bpa in the draft and therefore should implement a strategy to get a pass rusher in fa...

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                            • Jan 2010

I'm thinking DE 2nd and 4th/5th. With two picks in the 4th and 5th, there are a few guys I'd take a shot on. I'll have the list up tonight, which is still a work in progress.
                            so logic would tell me you want to fill that starting rde spot with a fa? and then get depth at rde in the 2nd rd...

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                              • Jan 2010

anthony spencer played de in college and also played with his hand on the ground at dallas a few times. it would be an easy transition and solid pickup.

remember, we cant count on merriman for anything...

Comment

Working...
                              X