X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingJofNYC
    • Sep 2009

Lavonte David

We're playing 4-3 but have no real cover linebacker. Sheppard's a good downhill force but we saw what TE's did to him, granted he's a rookie but I don't think he has the chops to really cover well.

Lavonte David is probably the best cover linebacker in the draft, small and may be a liability in the run game, but can cover with the best of them. In our conference, with the TE's we face, we need a guy like David. He's also a good blitzer, had 11.5 sacks at Nebraska, from at 6'1" Nickel LB that's pretty impressive.

If he's there in the 3rd he should be a no brainer, but I doubt he goes that late, especially after the combine. Would taking him in the 2nd be much of a reach?
    Last edited by kingJofNYC; 02-08-2012, 09:58 PM.
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Re: Lavonte David

At this point, Sheppard is pencilled in as the starter at middle linebacker. Barnett is moving outside and does have coverage skills. Bryan Scott is, I believe, actually somewhat bigger than Lavonte David, and if the Bills retain him, can move up to linebacker and cover as needed in passing situations. Buffalo needs a Sam outside linebacker more accutely than what David would provide.

Sheppard is not the fastest middle linebacker in the league, but he's far from the slowest, and I think as he gains experience he is not going to be a serious liability in pass coverage. He's smart, instinctive, and a student of the game.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Cali512
      • Jan 2012

I dont know much bout this years draft, so everyone looks great to me :)
      Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• kingJofNYC
        • Sep 2009

Bryan Scott couldn't cover anyone last year, what makes you think he can do it this year, a year older and slower? Barnett's getting older as well and we have no reliable LBs behind Shep/Barnett.

Resigning Scott would be like extending Kelsay for another 3 years.

I hate referencing youtube but check out this footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnFkMJ1Rbwg

I think he's a stud, but he will definitely be a liability in the run game. May have issues with bigger receivers as well.

Comment

• JCBills
          • Jan 2010

There are a few OLBs in this class I like:

Zach Brown - OLB - UNC - 6'1½'' 236 Lbs
          Nigel Bradham - OLB - Florida State - 6'1½'' - 237 Lbs
          Josh Kaddu - OLB - Oregon - 6'3'' 235 Lbs
          Terrell Manning - OLB - NC State - 6'3'' 225 Lbs
          Tank Carder - OLB - TCU - 6'2'' 236 Lbs

Some have the tools to play either side, some are better on one than the other, but we need to grab a few with almost none on the roster whatsoever.
          Last edited by JCBills; 02-08-2012, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• Cali512
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by kingJofNYC
            Bryan Scott couldn't cover anyone last year, what makes you think he can do it this year, a year older and slower? Barnett's getting older as well and we have no reliable LBs behind Shep/Barnett.

Resigning Scott would be like extending Kelsay for another 3 years.

I hate referencing youtube but check out this footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnFkMJ1Rbwg

I think he's a stud, but he will definitely be a liability in the run game. May have issues with bigger receivers as well.

I dont know how u talkin **** bout Scott lol. He was owning last year. He had alot of key plays at crucial times!
            Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• kingJofNYC
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by JCBills
              There are a few OLBs in this class I like:

Zach Brown - OLB - UNC - 6'1½'' 236 Lbs
              Nigel Bradham - OLB - Florida State - 6'1½'' - 237 Lbs
              Josh Kaddu - OLB - Oregon - 6'3'' 235 Lbs
              Terrell Manning - OLB - NC State - 6'3'' 225 Lbs
              Tank Carder - OLB - TCU - 6'2'' 236 Lbs

Some have the tools to play either side, some are better on one than the other, but we need to grab a few with almost none on the roster whatsoever.
              Agreed, actually think it's an above average LB class.

Scott is a mediocre aging player, time to move on.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
                • Jan 2010

kendricks from cal and adrien cole from la tech are great talents that should be there from rd 4-6

i think our first two picks are going to be pass rushers and then we take another stud corner in rd 3... depth from there on d...

i also think we get wheeler from the colts. he knows gailey from ga tech and has all the tools including speed which dave likes in his lbs...
                Last edited by NOT THE DUDE...; 02-09-2012, 12:28 AM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

I think David is the perfect LB for our system and I think he could the target in Round 2 or even in Round 3 if he falls. He's very athletic, can cover, and blitz and is a very good tackler.

He's undersized but he plays bigger than he's listed.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• CleveSteve
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                    I think David is the perfect LB for our system and I think he could the target in Round 2 or even in Round 3 if he falls. He's very athletic, can cover, and blitz and is a very good tackler.
                    I agree with this part.

He's undersized but he plays bigger than he's listed.
                    I disagree with this part. When I've seen him play, he easily gets lost behind the pile and has trouble finding a way to the ballcarrier. It's almost like you block him by blocking the DL in front of him. He gets washed out by the mess in front of him. If he can get free and locate the ballcarrier, he can close quickly and make a solid tackle. As mentioned, he can also cover. But his size is a liability.

I was watching him in the B1G Network's replay v. OSU... one of the guys on our board was pimping him pretty hard as a 2nd round pick for us (sounds like from you guys the Bills' needs are a carbon copy of the Browns' needs lol.) He made the biggest play of the game when he stripped Braxton Miller on a scramble which completely turned the tide, but apart from the he was washed out for most of the game.

No big loss if you lose out on him IMO. If you're picking a LB in the second, I'd go Wagner. Sean Spence is another speedy cover LB you can look at in Rd 3 or maybe Rd 4.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                      • Jun 2009

If were going lb in the 2nd, R. Lewis or Z. Brown.
                      One of those two should be there.

David, T. Lewis or Spence if they are still there in the 3rd or 4th rd.

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
                        • Feb 2009

I'd absolutely love David, he would be perfect for the SS, dude is a baller.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by k-oneputt
                          If were going lb in the 2nd, R. Lewis or Z. Brown.
                          One of those two should be there.

David, T. Lewis or Spence if they are still there in the 3rd or 4th rd.
                          Lewis would be a DE in our 43 set. Brown I would happily take.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Ed
                            • Sep 2002

I think the Bills will target a starting SLB in free agency and draft a WLB prospect as depth and possible replacement for Barnett in a year or two. We'll probably use a late round pick for LB depth also.

I'm pretty interested to see what happens at LB this year. I think we can pencil in Sheppard at MLB and Barnett at WLB, but after that I don't see anyone elses job being safe.

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                              Lewis would be a DE in our 43 set. Brown I would happily take.
                              I also love Bobby Wagner

Comment

Working...
                              X