PDA

View Full Version : Bills want new deal with Fred

Philagape
02-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Bills GM Buddy Nix told the team’s web site that he and Jackson are on the same page about a new contract.

“Fred and I have talked,” Nix said. “We want to extend Fred. I’d like for Fred to finish his career as a Bill. He’s meant a lot to us. I’ve got great respect for him. We do want Fred back and we do intend to try to work out a deal with him. I’ve told him that. What we said is what we’re going to do.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/10/bills-plan-to-extend-fred-jackson/

ublinkwescore
02-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Come on Fred stay in this town, we love ya boss!!! GET IT DONE FRED and Nix.

TigerJ
02-10-2012, 09:47 AM
I've heard enough said about this. It's time to stop talking and start doing.

Night Train
02-10-2012, 10:12 AM
He was the heart and soul of the O before going down. Now they found out they have a good 1-2 punch with C.J.

Don't mess up a vital position of strength... when we have so few positions of strength.

Make Fred Happy.

Ed
02-10-2012, 10:26 AM
I've heard enough said about this. It's time to stop talking and start doing.
Well Nix has also said that there's no rush to extend him. He's not a free agent so they have all off-season.

clumping platelets
02-10-2012, 10:35 AM
That's fine and dandy...........if he wants Chris Johnson money, it ain't gonna happen

DraftBoy
02-10-2012, 10:45 AM
If there isn't a new deal by camp, I would not be shocked if he held out. Id fully support him doing so as well for the record.

clumping platelets
02-10-2012, 10:51 AM
But would you support him if he was looking for AP or CJ money at his age?

$6-7 million per for a 2 yr extension is fine but not $9-10 million

k-oneputt
02-10-2012, 10:54 AM
If they pay him AP or CJ money then the Bills are even dumber then I thought.

clumping platelets
02-10-2012, 10:55 AM
If he was 25 or 26, I could see it

k-oneputt
02-10-2012, 10:59 AM
If he was 25 or 26, I could see it

I might agree, maybe. You can find rb's. At 31 and coming off a broken leg any raise he gets he should be thankful for. I'm not saying that's fair for what he has done but that's the way it works and is the reality of it.

Mski
02-10-2012, 11:04 AM
unfortunately, with the appearant ease for teams to find suitable RB's, most of their contracts have become a "pay for what you'll get in the future" as opposed to "pay for what you've done before" like most other positions

TacklingDummy
02-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Trade him to a contender. He deserves it for the way the fans have disrespected him on here.

He deserves to be the #1 back without anyone calling for the other guy.

ublinkwescore
02-10-2012, 11:22 AM
who the hell is calling for Spiller?

TacklingDummy
02-10-2012, 11:28 AM
who the hell is calling for Spiller?

Just because it's not in this thread doesn't mean it hasn't happened. First it was Lynch, now its Spiller

Plus considering Jackson age, he won't be around here when the Bills turn into winners. Might as well and try to get something for him and hope that player is around when the Bills turn into winners.

better days
02-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Just because it's not in this thread doesn't mean it hasn't happened. First it was Lynch, now its Spiller

Plus considering Jackson age, he won't be around here when the Bills turn into winners. Might as well and try to get something for him and hope that player is around when the Bills turn into winners.

I would still take Lynch over Fred myself. The Bills did not make the playoffs with Fred so, what has he REALLY done? I would like to see him get an extension with a decent raise, but I don't want to see the Bills over pay him as they have a few others.

PromoTheRobot
02-10-2012, 11:57 AM
I would still take Lynch over Fred myself. The Bills did not make the playoffs with Fred so, what has he REALLY done? I would like to see him get an extension with a decent raise, but I don't want to see the Bills over pay him as they have a few others.

Not much. Just lead the NFL in combined rushing and receiving yards. :*****slap:

PTR

justasportsfan
02-10-2012, 12:03 PM

just because it's been said doesn mean majority agree.

ddaryl
02-10-2012, 12:16 PM
I was never concerned about this... but most just like to panic

ddaryl
02-10-2012, 12:18 PM
I would still take Lynch over Fred myself. The Bills did not make the playoffs with Fred so, what has he REALLY done?

IMO Fred is a much better all around back.. Lynch has moments, and has a better stiff arm

BUT I think Jackson has proven to be more consistent and reliable

DraftBoy
02-10-2012, 12:25 PM
But would you support him if he was looking for AP or CJ money at his age?

$6-7 million per for a 2 yr extension is fine but not $9-10 million

I support every player asking for the most they can possibly get. This is a business, you make as much money as you can. For RB's that clock is exponentially shorter than almost any other position.

I care not for fair or market value, Fred deserves to be paid as one of the top RB's in the league. He should hold out until he gets exactly what he wants.

better days
02-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Not much. Just lead the NFL in combined rushing and receiving yards. :*****slap:

PTR

Which got the Bills where? He did NOT lead the NFL for combined rushing & receiving yds at the end of the season because he was INJURED.

IMO, there is no point in overpaying an OLD, INJURED RB that has not helped his team get to the playoffs EVER.

better days
02-10-2012, 12:28 PM
I support every player asking for the most they can possibly get. This is a business, you make as much money as you can. For RB's that clock is exponentially shorter than almost any other position.

I care not for fair or market value, Fred deserves to be paid as one of the top RB's in the league. He should hold out until he gets exactly what he wants.

Well, he has NO leverage. He is OLD & coming off an injury, he also has a year left on his contract. If he holds out he will hurt himself more than the team.

DraftBoy
02-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Well, he has NO leverage. He is OLD & coming off an injury, he also has a year left on his contract. If he holds out he will hurt himself more than the team.

Who gives a **** about leverage? He's the best offensive player we have, and arguably the best player on the entire team except for Sanborn.

Ed
02-10-2012, 12:33 PM

I don't understand why fans care so much about how much a player makes. Are you his agent or friends with the guy? Why would you rather see a guy get overpaid then the team you root for keep a player at a fair or market deal? What difference does it make to you how many millions Fred Jackson has in his bank account? That really makes no sense to not want to see your team have contracts on it's books that are fair.

better days
02-10-2012, 12:33 PM
IMO Fred is a much better all around back.. Lynch has moments, and has a better stiff arm

BUT I think Jackson has proven to be more consistent and reliable

Lets look at the big picture. Lynch is a POWER back with some speed, a perfect compliment to Spiller. Jackson is without question a better all around back than both Spiller & Lynch, BUT he is OLD, comming off an injury & not as good at getting the TOUGH SHORT yd needed to keep a drive going as Lynch is.

DraftBoy
02-10-2012, 12:36 PM
I don't understand why fans care so much about how much a player makes. Are you his agent or friends with the guy? Why would you rather see a guy get overpaid then the team you root for keep a player at a fair or market deal? What difference does it make to you how many millions Fred Jackson has in his bank account? That really makes no sense to not want to see your team have contracts on it's books that are fair.

It's a number of factors that range for envy, to disgust, to just wanting "what's best" for their franchise.

better days
02-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Who gives a **** about leverage? He's the best offensive player we have, and arguably the best player on the entire team except for Sanborn.

Well, Fred is lucky you are not his agent or financial adviser. Leverage is EVERYTHING when it comes to negotiating a contract. Fred better be concerned about it.

It is no wonder the Bills can't make the playoffs if an OLD INJURED RB is considered to be the BEST player on the team.

tampabay25690
02-10-2012, 01:37 PM
WOuld luv to see Fred here for a while.
I know he is on the wrong side of 30 but still has a ton of gas in the tank.
Get him a 4 year deal and I say $5-6 million per. I think that is fair.

DraftBoy
02-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Well, Fred is lucky you are not his agent or financial adviser. Leverage is EVERYTHING when it comes to negotiating a contract. Fred better be concerned about it.

It is no wonder the Bills can't make the playoffs if an OLD INJURED RB is considered to be the BEST player on the team.

Please...if you want to know how much "leverage" FJ actually has look at how the team preformed with him and without him.

As to the second point, well duh.

better days
02-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Please...if you want to know how much "leverage" FJ actually has look at how the team preformed with him and without him.

Exactly look how the Bills performed at RB without him. CJ did better than most expected, I think. This is not fantasy football, it is REAL football & RBs are EASILY replaced.

ParanoidAndroid
02-10-2012, 02:45 PM
IMO Fred is a much better all around back. . Lynch has moments, and has a better stiff arm BUT I think Jackson has proven to be more consistent and reliable

...and Fred isn't one screw-up away from a one year suspension.

k-oneputt
02-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Actually Freddy has next to zero leverage.
Remember he is still signed through next season.

better days
02-10-2012, 02:48 PM
...and Fred isn't one screw-up away from a one year suspension.

Well, Lynch has kept his nose clean in Seattle & is considered to be a great teammate. Lynch is a FA this year & I would bet Seattle will pay him more than the Bills pay Fred.

DraftBoy
02-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Exactly look how the Bills performed at RB without him. CJ did better than most expected, I think. This is not fantasy football, it is REAL football & RBs are EASILY replaced.

How did the Bills as a whole do without Fred Jackson? Its easy to say Spiller came in and performed but did it make the team not miss a beat? There is a far larger picture to be seen than just this narrow focus.

DraftBoy
02-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Actually Freddy has next to zero leverage.
Remember he is still signed through next season.

And?

k-oneputt
02-10-2012, 02:55 PM
And?

And, it means they can hold him to play at his contract or sit out and not get paid at all.
What do you think he would do at 31 yrs. old ?

better days
02-10-2012, 02:58 PM
How did the Bills as a whole do without Fred Jackson? Its easy to say Spiller came in and performed but did it make the team not miss a beat? There is a far larger picture to be seen than just this narrow focus.

The RB position is all the Bills will focus on when they discuss a contract with Fred. Like I said, he is over 30 years old, coming off an injury & still has a year left on his contract.

He has NO leverage. I expect the Bills to extend him at a reasonable price, but if he thinks he will break the bank, he will be sadly mistaken.

Ed
02-10-2012, 03:18 PM
And, it means they can hold him to play at his contract or sit out and not get paid at all.
He doesn't have leverage, but Nix has already said that they want to give him a new deal because he deserves one. There's really no benefit to setting a precedent that makes you a liar. You can't screw over a popular veteran that's been your best player and expect people to want to come here. Buffalo is a hard enough sell as it is. We don't need a GM that lies to players faces on top of that.

Freddie wants to be here and the Bills want him here. A deal will get done, it just may not be for a while.

DraftBoy
02-10-2012, 03:58 PM

Quick question, what has happened every time the team makes this weak threat in the last ten years?

I think he would sit his happy ass at home and wait for the team to come back to the table as they always do.

DraftBoy
02-10-2012, 04:01 PM
The RB position is all the Bills will focus on when they discuss a contract with Fred. Like I said, he is over 30 years old, coming off an injury & still has a year left on his contract.

He has NO leverage. I expect the Bills to extend him at a reasonable price, but if he thinks he will break the bank, he will be sadly mistaken.

The Bills can focus on the RB position all the want and his agent will say that it's fantastic but without my client your team went into the ****ter and ended up going 1-5 without him including losses to every other division team. With him you were an above .500 club without his ability, his leadership, his mentoring, and general presence your offense fell apart.

I never said he expects anything, I simply said he should ask for the as much as he wants.

better days
02-10-2012, 04:01 PM
He doesn't have leverage, but Nix has already said that they want to give him a new deal because he deserves one. There's really no benefit to setting a precedent that makes you a liar. You can't screw over a popular veteran that's been your best player and expect people to want to come here. Buffalo is a hard enough sell as it is. We don't need a GM that lies to players faces on top of that.

Freddie wants to be here and the Bills want him here. A deal will get done, it just may not be for a while.

I agree. The Bills do not need an AHOLE like AJ Smith for a GM. If Fred is reasonable in his demands, I think the deal gets done as well.

better days
02-10-2012, 04:08 PM
The Bills can focus on the RB position all the want and his agent will say that it's fantastic but without my client your team went into the ****ter and ended up going 1-5 without him including losses to every other division team. With him you were an above .500 club without his ability, his leadership, his mentoring, and general presence your offense fell apart.

I never said he expects anything, I simply said he should ask for the as much as he wants.

Well, if he expects to be paid like a YOUNG TOP tier back he will be disapointed IMO.

If he expects to be paid like an older slightly above average back which he is, the deal should get done soon.

If Fred were the only Bill injured, your argument might have more merit, but Fred was only one of MANY Bills that were injured down the stretch.

k-oneputt
02-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Quick question, what has happened every time the team makes this weak threat in the last ten years?

I think he would sit his happy ass at home and wait for the team to come back to the table as they always do.

You obviously don't follow football holdouts. Don't play week-1 {first paycheck} you don't get paid.
It's the players that come back to the table.

YardRat
02-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Pretty sure Freddie's not looking to break the bank.

ublinkwescore
02-10-2012, 06:05 PM

he's a good locker room guy, he's got a good work ethic, he runs angry, and he would have had a much better year if he stayed healthy and the OL stays in tact.

Sorry, I like lynch, but Jackson was clearly more inspiring to this team. Jackson was our bread and butter.

DraftBoy
02-10-2012, 06:09 PM
You obviously don't follow football holdouts. Don't play week-1 {first paycheck} you don't get paid.
It's the players that come back to the table.

When was the last time that happened and the player didn't get their raise? Remember CJ2K still got paid as the highest paid RB in the league with over 55% of the whole contract guaranteed.

DraftBoy
02-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Well, if he expects to be paid like a YOUNG TOP tier back he will be disapointed IMO.

If he expects to be paid like an older slightly above average back which he is, the deal should get done soon.

If Fred were the only Bill injured, your argument might have more merit, but Fred was only one of MANY Bills that were injured down the stretch.

Who said anything about what he expects? You are the one jumping all over that.

ublinkwescore
02-10-2012, 06:12 PM

Fred Jackson's numbers dipped significantly when we started getting injuries. but if our O line is healthy, he is definitely one of the best backs in the league.

Unfortunately, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, it would be christmas all year long.

ublinkwescore
02-10-2012, 06:16 PM

I think nix is trying to change the image for the bills in how they handle free agency, and players that want in or out, or who we re-sign and the conditions under which they are re-signed - see Fitzpatrick and his solid new contract - the guy did do really good for us, Nix took it upon himself to pay him accordingly. that is a message being sent to other potential free agents who may visit buffalo. come here, help us win and the money will be there for you.

alohabillsfan
02-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Oh how I love internet GM's and scouts.... thanks for the entertainment...

BertSquirtgum
02-10-2012, 08:34 PM
If there isn't a new deal by camp, I would not be shocked if he held out. Id fully support him doing so as well for the record.

Bills will trade him if he pulls a douche move like that

better days
02-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Who said anything about what he expects? You are the one jumping all over that.

When did I jump all over that? I said "IF he expects....." NOBODY knows what he is looking to get.

Your posts indicate you want him to ask for the moon while I want him to be reasonable.

better days
02-10-2012, 08:54 PM
he's a good locker room guy, he's got a good work ethic, he runs angry, and he would have had a much better year if he stayed healthy and the OL stays in tact.

Sorry, I like lynch, but Jackson was clearly more inspiring to this team. Jackson was our bread and butter.

Well, the Seattle locker room was inspired by Lynch & on NFL32 on ESPN tonight, Lynch was called the best RB in the NFL the 2nd half of the season.

BertSquirtgum
02-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Bills should have kept Lynch.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-11-2012, 01:40 AM

why? he would be gone now, plus hes not even close to the talent that freddy is. fred jackson can still play at a high level for probably 2 more years.

he has no wear and tear on his body. he didnt even carry that much in the eurpoe league. they will sign him to a 3 year extension. and we will have the best back in the league for the next 2 years.

TacklingDummy
02-11-2012, 06:47 AM
just because it's been said doesn mean majority agree.
fYT and myself were calling for Jackson to be the starter all along. Most everyone else was calling for Lynch to be and now for Spiller to be.

better days
02-11-2012, 08:29 AM
why? he would be gone now, plus hes not even close to the talent that freddy is. fred jackson can still play at a high level for probably 2 more years.

he has no wear and tear on his body. he didnt even carry that much in the eurpoe league. they will sign him to a 3 year extension. and we will have the best back in the league for the next 2 years.

I would like to see some scientific evidence of this wear & tear argument. Jackson may not have been in the NFL, but he played in the indoor football league & NFL Europe before making it to the big time.

You guys with the wear & tear argument make it sound like Jackson spent those years in a hyperbolic chamber rather than playing minor league football.
He carried the ball plenty in both of those leagues.

A 31 year old body does not heal as fast as a 21 year old body, that is a FACT.

The Jokeman
02-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Trade him to a contender. He deserves it for the way the fans have disrespected him on here.

He deserves to be the #1 back without anyone calling for the other guy.
Fred's getting the same treatment we gave Jason Peters but why is he getting a free pass or we're acting like he deserves better? If we trade him I toss him to the team that can give us the best pick and/or picks. To me none be better than the Tampa Bay Bucs. I'd hope for their 3rd Rounder this year but hate giving up on him as it's more spinning wheels at RB position that been doing ever since we drafted Willis McGahee to replace Travis Henry.

and drafted Dez Bryant instead of Spiller.