PDA

View Full Version : Report: CB Routt to visit Monday

justasportsfan
02-10-2012, 12:25 PM
ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Less than one year ago, Al Davis made Stanford Routt one of the cornerstones of the Oakland Raiders' defense with a lavish contract that kept him from free agency.

Routt became the first player casualty under the new regime with the Raiders.

Routt was released on Thursday just one year into a $54.5 million, five-year contract, ending his seven-year tenure in Oakland as the team heads in a new direction.

Routt's agent, William Vann McElroy, told ESPN's Josina Anderson that Routt already has visits planned with Buffalo and Tennessee.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/02/10/report-cb-routt-to-visit-monday/

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7559875/oakland-raiders-release-starting-cornerback-stanford-routt

Ed
02-10-2012, 12:39 PM
That seems crazy to me that they would release a player one year into a $54 million deal. I would think that that would add so much dead money to their cap that it wouldn't make financial sense.

better days
02-10-2012, 12:43 PM
That seems crazy to me that they would release a player one year into a $54 million deal. I would think that that would add so much dead money to their cap that it wouldn't make financial sense.

If they did not release him when they did, they would have owed him an additional $5 Million GUARANTEED in addition to the $10 Million they paid him last year. A new regime = changes made.

Forward_Lateral
02-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Does he suck?

Ed
02-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Does he suck?
According to the article he graded out as one of the top cover CB's in 2010. So no, he probably doesn't suck.

DrGraves
02-10-2012, 12:53 PM
If he doesn't suck why would he visit here?

Ed
02-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Don't you guys ever get tired of the same lame jokes?

Joe Fo Sho
02-10-2012, 01:00 PM
If he doesn't suck why would he visit here?

Goooooooood question, Aguado.

Joe Fo Sho
02-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Don't you guys ever get tired of the same lame jokes?

If you don't continue to find humor in the inner workings of the Buffalo Bills, as a fan you will get depressed...quickly.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-10-2012, 01:17 PM
man, this would be a great signing. since he doesnt belong to any team, can we sign him before march 13?

tampabay25690
02-10-2012, 01:34 PM
For the right $$$ he is a great pickup.
The $$$ Al Davis threw at him was outrageous.

Ickybaluky
02-10-2012, 03:31 PM
man, this would be a great signing. since he doesnt belong to any team, can we sign him before march 13?

Yes. He was released, so he can be signed by any team once he clears the waiver wire.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Im guessing if we sign routt are depth chart would be

routt/ florence
williams/rogers/rookie

Yasgur's Farm
02-10-2012, 05:40 PM

routt/ florence
williams/rogers/rookieNo McKelvin?

Extremebillsfan247
02-10-2012, 05:54 PM
If he doesn't suck why would he visit here?Maybe he has an interest in Wannstedt as a DC. He is a well respected coach among defensive players around the NFL. JMO

tampabay25690
02-10-2012, 09:26 PM

routt/ florence
williams/rogers/rookie
McKelvin?

NOT THE DUDE...
02-11-2012, 01:33 AM
No McKelvin?

i think he will be cut. i think rogers and florence are better plus we will also draft a corner before rd 5. i just dont see a 6th corner on the team, let alone having a cap number like that. i think its wasted talent because leodis has all the tools but hes just so dumb.

same thing with spencer johnson and possibly dwan edwards. if heard beats out edwards for that backup dt spot, why would you keep a 5th dt making that much... you could easily replace him with a younger player with higher potential, like gilbert, dotson, or a late draft pick...

why would you keep edwards at a 5mil cap hit when hes not even playing?

clumping platelets
02-11-2012, 05:16 AM
Yes. He was released, so he can be signed by any team once he clears the waiver wire.

He's not subject to waivers

Forward_Lateral
02-11-2012, 05:59 AM
I think McKelvin saved his roster spot with his special teams play towards the end of the season.

Night Train
02-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Bills will have many FA's " visit " .

It's the annual cattle drive that many participate in but signing them is a whole other story.

better days
02-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Bills will have many FA's " visit " .

It's the annual cattle drive that many participate in but signing them is a whole other story.

Well, at least the Bills are participating this year. There are many good FAs this year, if the Bills can sign a few it will help this team improve.

Yasgur's Farm
02-14-2012, 06:17 AM
i think he will be cut. i think rogers and florence are better plus we will also draft a corner before rd 5. i just dont see a 6th corner on the team, 6? Mckelvin, Florence, Williams, Rogers is 4... McGee probably gets cut. let alone having a cap number like that. It's a rookie contract FCS... Not that much IMO. i think its wasted talent because leodis has all the tools but hes just so dumb.

Ickybaluky
02-14-2012, 06:52 AM
He's not subject to waivers

All veterans are subject to waivers after the trading deadline. That changes when the new league year starts on March 13, but right now he is still subject to the 2011 league year.

Nobody was going to claim that contract, though.

madness
02-16-2012, 01:56 AM
Routt still talking to*Bills
by Chris Brown February 15, 2012
Free agent CB Stanford Routt is spending a second day in Kansas City to visit with the Chiefs on his free agent tour that began in Buffalo with the Bills on Monday. And Buffalo is still very much in the hunt.

That according to NFL.com’s Jason LaCanfora, who tweeted the following concerning Routt’s free agent visit schedule.

Jason La Canfora Stanford Routt remains in KC for second day of meetings with Chiefs. Still talking to Bills and scheduled to visit Bengals Fri #insideslant

Ed
02-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Routt still talking to*Bills
by Chris Brown February 15, 2012
Free agent CB Stanford Routt is spending a second day in Kansas City to visit with the Chiefs on his free agent tour that began in Buffalo with the Bills on Monday. And Buffalo is still very much in the hunt.

That according to NFL.com’s Jason LaCanfora, who tweeted the following concerning Routt’s free agent visit schedule.

Jason La Canfora Stanford Routt remains in KC for second day of meetings with Chiefs. Still talking to Bills and scheduled to visit Bengals Fri #insideslant
Hopefully Routt has legitimate interest in the Bills and isn't just trying to string them along for leverage.

stuckincincy
02-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Hopefully Routt has legitimate interest in the Bills and isn't just trying to string them along for leverage.

Evidently, his tour stops off in CIN tomorrow. Wonder who is next?...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/17278758

Ed
02-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Evidently, his tour stops off in CIN tomorrow. Wonder who is next?...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/17278758
Well it was reported that he has visits with the Texans and Cowboys scheduled also. I think Tennessee too. As the top player available right now pre-free agency, he could end up meeting with half the league. Teams always need good corners.

stuckincincy
02-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Well it was reported that he has visits with the Texans and Cowboys scheduled also. I think Tennessee too. As the top player available right now pre-free agency, he could end up meeting with half the league. Teams always need good corners.

Yup.