PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Johnson Resigning Unlikely

DraftBoy
02-11-2012, 10:53 AM
http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/johnson-re-signing-unlikely/

rom what I hear, contract talks between the Buffalo Bills and Stevie Johnson—if talks is what you really want to call it, have ranged from going nowhere to non-existent and it now seems imminent the four-year veteran will not be re-signed to an extension before free agency begins.

In a nutshell, it appears certain the real decision facing the Bills is whether to let Johnson test the market in March as an unrestricted free agent or to keep him via the franchise tag for another year. Using the tag would cost Buffalo around $9.4 million for 2012.

Franchise tags can start being designated on February 20. The deadline to use it is March 5. Clearly, there is ample time for the Bills to make that decision.

Hate Pat or Love Pat its really not the point. I think in the back of all our minds we feared this may happen.

On another note I do wonder where that 9.4 number comes from, last the tag was 9.5 for WR's, it going down by $100K would be interesting.

mayotm
02-11-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm worried about Johnson being re-signed. However, Pat reporting it doesn't make me any more or any less worried.

better days
02-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Yeah, Pat hears all, knows all. LOL. I expect Merriman to be suspended by the NFL & in jail any day now.

YardRat
02-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Still pretty confident he'll end up in San Fran.

"from what I hear, contract talks between the Buffalo Bills and Stevie Johnson—if talks is what you really want to call it, have ranged from going nowhere to non-existent "

Uh...no ****...it's not like we all haven't heard the same thing.

clumping platelets
02-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Calculation for tags changed with the new CBA. It's based on average of previous 5 seasons not just 1 year.

They can also be different for individual players based on previous years salary

Ed
02-11-2012, 01:04 PM
There's still a month to go before free agency begins. It's not like they're done talking.

ublinkwescore
02-11-2012, 01:35 PM
if he walks, bring in Bowe... but I'd still like to see Bowe and johnson both in the same uniform and in western new york.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-11-2012, 01:36 PM
they will franchise him... i just cant believe we are that dumb that we would allow a 25 yr old michael irvin type wr just leave. i refuse to believe nix is that dumb...

Fixxxer
02-11-2012, 01:59 PM

Hate Pat or Love Pat its really not the point. I think in the back of all our minds we feared this may happen.

On another note I do wonder where that 9.4 number comes from, last the tag was 9.5 for WR's, it going down by $100K would be interesting.

The point is credibility and the guy has none.

Cali512
02-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Im sick of all this. One report comes out that we are trying to resign Jackson, and now for some reason this now means that Johnson totally will not be resigned, and that Spiller is mad. If the Jackson news did not come out, i doubt wed be hearing any of this

T-Long
02-11-2012, 02:04 PM
It may mean Buddy is letting Stevie to go out and set the market for his services and then meeting the asking price. I'm not too concerned...

Raptor
02-11-2012, 02:25 PM

Yup

Extremebillsfan247
02-11-2012, 03:01 PM
You don't need credibility to make a statement like that. It's not really news worthy because it's something we all know already. It's not too difficult to see the forest for the trees on the Stevie Johnson topic unless you live in a cave. lol JMO

X-Era
02-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Yes! Now it's definite he will be re-signed

The Jokeman
02-11-2012, 05:20 PM
they will franchise him... i just cant believe we are that dumb that we would allow a 25 yr old michael irvin type wr just leave. i refuse to believe nix is that dumb...
He can't and in his press Conference he eludes that we need another big time receiver which means that he feels Stevie is staying. Whether it's through a contract worked out or franchised. Of course the question is who is the "other" receiver. If we do franchising Stevie I can't see us finding another WR through free agency unless it's a lesser name like Legedu Naanee that brought up before. We could also be looking to draft someone early. I could see as early as Round 2 or 3 based on value of the pick.

elltrain22
02-11-2012, 07:14 PM
I read this thread, initially, then saw the name Pat Moran attached to it, and automatically dismissed it. Pat Moran, is a good guy, but the guy is always wrong!! Not saying he's totally wrong, but I don't think this guy has any kind of real inside info. He's a dude w/ an opinion, and a large forum to display his opinion(s).

camelcowboy
02-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Good pats always wrong so Johnson will sign monday. I'm glad to see you've gone out on a safer limb this time.

Cleve
02-11-2012, 07:52 PM
The Bills don't really need to pay for expensive receivers until they get a real quarterback. Might as well save the money for Wilson's daughters until then.

Demon
02-11-2012, 08:39 PM

Exactly. I don't know Pat, but i am sure he is a nice guy. And he gives an unreal effort in providing excellent high school sports updates for the Buffalo area via his web site and twitter. If he makes money on his site, then more power to him. Either way, i'm sure he means well.

But, this is a credibility issue. He has none as this guy says. Just like many Sabres forums forbid posting "rumors" from Eklund, we should try to avoid rumors by Pat Moran.

The Spaz
02-11-2012, 10:41 PM
People really need to know what a source is and Pat isn't one.

bigbub2352
02-11-2012, 11:03 PM
i think they are gona throw a bunch of money at a wr in free agency...and franchise stevie...bills grown talent and he wants to be here thats what u build a contender around

dasaybz
02-11-2012, 11:10 PM
I find it remarkable that someone actually used a Pat Moran article to begin a thread.

As soon as I see Pat Moran, I check out.

Peace.

jimbohastle51
02-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Stevie Johnson will be with the Bills next season. Even if they apply the franchise tag they can still work towards a new contract or they can rescind the tag if they chose to but IMO i see no scenario where Johnson isn't with the team next season. his age, production, and baring what Nix has stated all along about keeping and rewarding our guys that are drafted by us and grow in our system to be solid NFL football players. Letting Johnson go would state if you play to well we won't pay you. This deal will get done one way or the other and I also believe the Bills will sign one of V-Jax or D. Bowe to play along side Stevie.

Bert102176
02-12-2012, 01:05 AM
The Bills don't really need to pay for expensive receivers until they get a real quarterback. Might as well save the money for Wilson's daughters until then.

Wilson's daughter passed away a couple of years ago maybe three

Extremebillsfan247
02-12-2012, 07:30 AM
I find it remarkable that someone actually used a Pat Moran article to begin a thread.

Peace.I find it remarkable that you still found time to post in this thread about a Pat Moran article. Nothing quite like shooting yourself in the foot is there? lol JMO

Night Train
02-12-2012, 07:35 AM
With the Bills badly needing DE,OLB and OL depth, a WR concern is far down my list when dozens are out there EVERY year in FA, looking for a team.

I like SJ and hope he returns but that isn't even close to being a top priority. We all know the recent history and why this is happening.

and what Pat is hearing is the furnace kicking on, 5 feet from his PC. Internet wannabe.

T-Long
02-12-2012, 08:50 PM
side note....Pat's wife was in a car wreck today where she was pretty banged up. He said she is doing ok....but def. worth sending some prayers. Whether or not you like him as a writer or not, it shouldn't matter. Prayers are being sent to you and your family Pat...

PromoTheRobot
02-12-2012, 09:11 PM

Once again Moran is just reporting what is already known. Johnson himself said there was no negotiation since talks broke off. He's not exactly going out on a limb suggesting the Bills aren't eager to resign SJ.

Sorry to hear about his wife.

PTR

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 08:12 AM

Peace.

Once again not about the writer, much more about the idea of this team with Donald Jones as its new #1 WR.

better days
02-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Once again not about the writer, much more about the idea of this team with Donald Jones as its new #1 WR.

Well, when the writer of the article you linked is not credible, the thread becomes more about the writer than the subject IMO.

Mr. Miyagi
02-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Sending good vibes to Pat Moran's wife. I'm sure she'll be up and about in no time. :pray:

Stevie has said he's willing to give a hometown discount and sign for $7.5 mil. Ralph's question should be: WHERE DO I SIGN??

methos4ever
02-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Numerous former GMs have said that most negotiations like this won't kick off til the Combine at the earliest. Not concerned til then really.

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Well, when the writer of the article you linked is not credible, the thread becomes more about the writer than the subject IMO.

This is a message board...if you can't get over something personal against writer that you're own issue to deal with.

better days
02-13-2012, 09:01 AM
This is a message board...if you can't get over something personal against writer that you're own issue to deal with.

I have no personal animosity about Pat. I do however take issue with anything he writes about because he is not a credible writer & nothing he writes should be believed by anyone.

DrGraves
02-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Sending good vibes to Pat Moran's wife. I'm sure she'll be up and about in no time. :pray:

Stevie has said he's willing to give a hometown discount and sign for $7.5 mil. Ralph's question should be: WHERE DO I SIGN??

If this is true... and the Bills do not offer a contract to Johnson. I will go choke out Ralph myself.

Raptor
02-13-2012, 09:43 AM

Then you should have started a thread along the lines of "Does anyone have a problem with the idea of going into next with D.Jones being our #1 WR?"

Not post an article from a writer that has massive cred issues and expect people to just ignore that

ThunderGun
02-13-2012, 10:32 AM

What do you mean? He reads PFT and Rotoworld every day. Isn't that enough? lol.

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 10:47 AM
I have no personal animosity about Pat. I do however take issue with anything he writes about because he is not a credible writer & nothing he writes should be believed by anyone.

Yea...that's quite clear.

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Then you should have started a thread along the lines of "Does anyone have a problem with the idea of going into next with D.Jones being our #1 WR?"

Not post an article from a writer that has massive cred issues and expect people to just ignore that

if you can't look past the byline of an article and take the idea for what its worth, that's a you issue.

I read writers I dont believe, like, or trust everyday.

Besides this is a message board, its meant to foster discussion, its a little sad that people can't get past who wrote it and talk about what was written instead.

justasportsfan
02-13-2012, 11:00 AM
I can make a ton of rumors out there and only one has to stick and then I can claim I made the call.

PromoTheRobot
02-13-2012, 11:00 AM
if you can't look past the byline of an article and take the idea for what its worth, that's a you issue.

Besides this is a message board, its meant to foster discussion, its a little sad that people can't get past who wrote it and talk about what was written instead.
DB, the byline is EXTREMELY important when the story is nothing but a bunch of "...I heard this" and "...I talked to so-and-so". Moran cites only unnamed sources. When you do that your rep becomes paramount. Considering Pat's rep went up in flames with his Merriman story, a negative reaction is understandable.

Again, Pat is reporting nothing here. N-O-T-H-I-N-G. Every part of his story has been discussed in various threads. All he did was put it all in one story and claimed unknown sources to back it up. If he was Tim Graham it might mean something. Coming from Pat Moran it means diddly-squat.

PTR

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 11:25 AM
DB, the byline is EXTREMELY important when the story is nothing but a bunch of "...I heard this" and "...I talked to so-and-so". Moran cites only unnamed sources. When you do that your rep becomes paramount. Considering Pat's rep went up in flames with his Merriman story, a negative reaction is understandable.

Again, Pat is reporting nothing here. N-O-T-H-I-N-G. Every part of his story has been discussed in various threads. All he did was put it all in one story and claimed unknown sources to back it up. If he was Tim Graham it might mean something. Coming from Pat Moran it means diddly-squat.

PTR

And again I'm not saying, nor do I care, that Pat is right or that the report is accurate. Rather I care more about the realization that Stevie may not be here next year and how we adapt with Donald Jones as our current #1 WR.

Ickybaluky
02-13-2012, 11:49 AM
I'll say this for Pat, he doesn't embarrass easily.

better days
02-13-2012, 12:00 PM

If you choose to read writers that can't be believed, that is your choice. I would think most people don't want to do that. I think it should be understandable that is the case.

Like I said before, I have no personal animosity towards Pat, but if he were working for anybody, he would have been fired after the Merriman story & would never have been hired again in the field of journalism.

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 12:01 PM
If you choose to read writers that can't be believed, that is your choice. I would think most people don't want to do that. I think it should be understandable that is the case.

Like I said before, I have no personal animosity towards Pat, but if he were working for anybody, he would have been fired after the Merriman story & would never have been hired again in the field of journalism.

Luckily this isn't a journalism thread or a thread about Pat. The thread was supposed to be about the idea that Stevie isn't coming back. How do we react what do we do?

ddaryl
02-13-2012, 12:06 PM
I have to agree.. Moran lost ALL Credibility, and he should not be shared on a message forum by those who already know what he has done in the past.

He blew it majorly, and whether right or wrong at this point, his credibility is and will always be questionable.

So if Steve is not coming back then start a thread about that, but IMO I would prefer we do not reference BSD or Pat Moran.

better days
02-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Luckily this isn't a journalism thread or a thread about Pat. The thread was supposed to be about the idea that Stevie isn't coming back. How do we react what do we do?

Well, my hope would be to sign Stevie, but if the Bills can't get him to agree to a contract, I would like to see them tag & trade him as they did with Price. I would also like to see another FA WR signed either with or without Stevie.

BertSquirtgum
02-13-2012, 12:11 PM
side note....Pat's wife was in a car wreck today where she was pretty banged up. He said she is doing ok....but def. worth sending some prayers. Whether or not you like him as a writer or not, it shouldn't matter. Prayers are being sent to you and your family Pat...

Didn't he wish that on himself during the Merriman debacle?

PTI
02-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Randy Moss wants back in!!! Bills did sign Owens to the 1 year deal, are they desperate enough again to do the same thing?!?!? Not likely, noodle arm can't make it to him downfield anyway.

better days
02-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Randy Moss wants back in!!! Bills did sign Owens to the 1 year deal, are they desperate enough again to do the same thing?!?!? Not likely, noodle arm can't make it to him downfield anyway.

Moss wants back in? After the way he played his last season I doubt any team would want to let him back in except maybe the Pats* & even they would be very doubtful.

A lesson for all, don't burn bridges.

Oaf
02-13-2012, 01:53 PM
I would take Moss and Stevie Johnson in a heartbeat.

Raptor
02-13-2012, 02:11 PM

You have to grasp certain things and if I wanted to start a discussion about the possibility of losing Johnson and going into next season with D.Jones as our #1 I sure as **** wouldn't post an article from a writer with cred issues and one that a lot of people have very strong opinions on to foster that discussion. Its a fairly easy concept to understand that you missed but after this thread I doubt it will happen again

clumping platelets
02-13-2012, 02:25 PM

:negrep:

justasportsfan
02-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Moss is NOT a player that Nix would take. He got rid of Lee Evans to devlop guys like Jones.

better days
02-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Moss is NOT a player that Nix would take. He got rid of Lee Evans to devlop guys like Jones.

And the Bills already signed David Clowney, another guy that can run fast but can't run a precise route.

SABURZFAN
02-13-2012, 04:36 PM
you just pissed off Whitner, pat. you better put down the smokes and run to the end of your driveway and back a couple times to get in shape. :flex:

PromoTheRobot
02-16-2012, 11:27 AM
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2012/02/source-bills-johnson-exchange-proposals.html

Ooops. There goes Pat's "sources."

PTR

mikemac2001
02-16-2012, 11:31 AM
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2012/02/source-bills-johnson-exchange-proposals.html

Ooops. There goes Pat's "sources."

PTR

He needs to give up....just fishing for stuff

OpIv37
02-16-2012, 11:36 AM

PTR

I understand that Pat's track record is not good and you have plenty of reason to distrust him, but using unnamed sources is par for the course in journalism.

Go to the Washington Post and I bet at least half the stories on the front page cite unnamed sources.

Here's the thing:
1. Sources can get in trouble and even fired for divulging information, so journalists often have to protect their sources.
2. If journalists reveal their sources, then other journalists will start contacting them and they lose a competitive advantage that may cost them the next scoop.

So, like or dislike Pat, using unnamed sources is the industry standard and not a reason for suspicion on its own.

better days
02-16-2012, 01:13 PM
I understand that Pat's track record is not good and you have plenty of reason to distrust him, but using unnamed sources is par for the course in journalism.

Go to the Washington Post and I bet at least half the stories on the front page cite unnamed sources.

Here's the thing:
1. Sources can get in trouble and even fired for divulging information, so journalists often have to protect their sources.
2. If journalists reveal their sources, then other journalists will start contacting them and they lose a competitive advantage that may cost them the next scoop.

So, like or dislike Pat, using unnamed sources is the industry standard and not a reason for suspicion on its own.

I don't think the issue is unnamed sources. The issue is running a story that has not been verified. People in the media that do that get fired when they are wrong.

It is one thing to say "I heard this rumor that Merriman was stopped at the border & steroids were confiscated." It is another thing altogether to say "Merriman was stopped at the border & steroids were confiscated." and to run that story as fact when in fact it was an unsubstantiated rumor that proved to be false.

dannyek71
02-16-2012, 01:13 PM

Maybe he got arrested with Shawne Merriman too?!

THRILLHO
02-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Pat says we aren't signing Stevie?

Sweet, can't wait to have him back next year!

BertSquirtgum
02-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Whatever Pat Moran says, the exact opposite is the truth.

Goobylal
02-16-2012, 04:27 PM
I hope Pat Moran has a day job. He ain't gonna cut it in the "NFL insider" world.

PromoTheRobot
02-16-2012, 11:01 PM

Here's the thing:

Opi, I don't distrust Pat Moran solely on his use of unnamed sources. I don't trust him because of his track record. That's why credibility is so important. It's like the boy who cries "wolf." You can claim unnamed sources all you want but when that story proves to be false, you have burned your rep.

Pat doesn't have the cred to use unnamed sources. And the fact that you still believe him shows either a lack of critical thinking on your part, or just a desire to agree with anything that shines negatively on the Bills.

And once again recent SJ news reports prove Pat Moran to be the flaming bag of poop of Buffalo sports journalism. How many times are you going to answer that doorbell?

PTR

Jeff1220
02-17-2012, 06:30 AM
The only one on this board that posts breaking news with any measure of accuracy is Blame Canada, and he's not a self promoter in any way like many of the other "insiders". Some of the other guys have been right, but I take all insiders on message boards with a grain of salt anyway.