PDA

View Full Version : Bills need talent transfusion for switch in scheme

YardRat
02-12-2012, 08:09 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article729063.ece

It's a lot more about the "who" than the "how" when it comes to the Buffalo Bills' switch to a 4-3 defense this season. Who they can add to the defense will be far more important in determining their success than how they line up.

One key addition to the defense already is in house. The Bills hope Shawne Merriman can recover from an Achilles tendon injury that has ruined three of his last four seasons. Merriman can put his hand on the ground and rush off the edge as part of a four-man line in passing situations. He has the size and stoutness to hold the edge against the run as a strong-side linebacker.

The Bills need a good complement -- or two -- for Merriman, since his ability to stay healthy for a full season is a question mark.

The 4-3 defense gives the Bills flexibility in looking for solutions.

http://www.buffalonews.com/incoming/article729062.ece/BINARY/w620/kelsay12.jpg

Mr. Pink
02-12-2012, 04:50 PM
LOL They needed a transfusion of talent for 3-4 too.

Goobylal
02-12-2012, 05:09 PM
They don't need much for a 4-3. A stud RDE and another starting OLB (Eddins?). They better hit on that 1st round DE.

OpIv37
02-12-2012, 07:10 PM
LOL They needed a transfusion of talent for 3-4 too.

Couldn't agree more. I've been saying the same thing all along.

The switch makes very little difference because this incompetent FO never finished the switch to the 3-4. We were 2-3 starters from a good 3-4 and we are maybe 3-4 starters from a good 4-3. It's really just a 1 player difference.

TigerJ
02-13-2012, 12:39 AM
I have to admit, I was kind of frustrated by the switch back to the 4-3. Chan Gailey said it was because it's easier to find players to plug into a 4-3, but I suspect it has more to do with wanting to plug Dave Wannstedt in as DC and wanting to keep him happy.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-13-2012, 12:43 AM
so merriman if healthy will play slb?

Night Train
02-13-2012, 04:53 AM
The 3-4 was a titanic failure here. Couldn't stop the run or pass.

tampabay25690
02-13-2012, 06:32 AM
so merriman if healthy will play slb?

I think he will play part time either way.
Pass rushing situations, so don't be surprised if we go after a 4-3 OLB in FA....

TigerJ
02-13-2012, 10:30 AM
The 3-4 was a titanic failure here. Couldn't stop the run or pass.

But we know that it can work, because some of the toughest defenses in the league are 3-4 defenses. Like any defense, you've got to have the personnel and the coaching to make it work.

Johnny Bugmenot
02-13-2012, 11:19 AM
But we know that it can work, because some of the toughest defenses in the league are 3-4 defenses. Like any defense, you've got to have the personnel and the coaching to make it work.
Indeed. When this team was healthy, it was doing a perfectly capable job of the run, the first time we've been able to say that in years, and was getting a very high number of turnovers in the pass game. It was the players' inability/refusal to stay healthy that doomed this team. By the end of the season, Barnett was about the only first-stringer out there playing at 100%. You try being successful with a second-string talent pool.

justasportsfan
02-13-2012, 11:52 AM
we are switching only because we have Wanny?

This scares me because Wanny can be as conservative as it gets. JUst like Coughlin forced Gilbride to run the ball, I hope Gailey tells Wanny to be aggressive.

Goobylal
02-13-2012, 12:58 PM
The Bills' personnel has been and is still far more suited to 4-3 than 3-4. The transition doesn't need a lot of new talent. Williams and Dareus in the middle will be the cornerstone, and there is enough depth there with Troup and Heard. I think a LB'ing corp of Barnett, Sheppard, and Eddins could be a good one. What they need to round out the pic is a stud RDE. They better make that 1st round pick count!

JCBills
02-13-2012, 01:11 PM
The Bills' personnel has been and is still far more suited to 4-3 than 3-4. The transition doesn't need a lot of new talent. Williams and Dareus in the middle will be the cornerstone, and there is enough depth there with Troup and Heard. I think a LB'ing corp of Barnett, Sheppard, and Eddins could be a good one. What they need to round out the pic is a stud RDE. They better make that 1st round pick count!

Eddins was a 4-3 DE in college, playing 3-4 OLB last season, meaning he might be better going back to 4-3 RE.