• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Winners and Losers of the Buffalo Bills' Move to the 4-3

Even though the Buffalo Bills announced that they’ll be shifting to a 4-3 base defense in 2012, the team still plans to use some 3-4 fronts...

Now that Dave Wannstedt has been named the new defensive coordinator, the Bills will continue striving to find an identity on his side of the ball, and it begins with the front seven.

Buffalo will most often employ four-man fronts next year, which will affect some players more than others. Here is a quick look at some of the winners and losers of the Bills’ move to a 4-3 base defense.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Extremebillsfan247
    • Sep 2008

Re: Winners and Losers of the Buffalo Bills' Move to the 4-3

Originally posted by YardRat
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ove-to-the-4-3

Now that Dave Wannstedt has been named the new defensive coordinator, the Bills will continue striving to find an identity on his side of the ball, and it begins with the front seven.

Buffalo will most often employ four-man fronts next year, which will affect some players more than others. Here is a quick look at some of the winners and losers of the Bills’ move to a 4-3 base defense.
    I'll admit, I don't read bleacher report too often. But, that article is very well written in my opinion. Thanks for the post. Go Bills.

[edit]: Of course, some of you will have to forgive my ignorance on the following, but I don't understand why Kelsay doesn't end up a winner in this 4-3 switch. He plays his best games when playing up on the line in a 4-3. Kelsay, Williams, Dareus, and Carrington looks like a defensive line with enormous potential in my opinion. With that being said, I think we may be 1 good OLB, and shutdown corner away from being a top 10 defense.
    Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 02-12-2012, 08:59 AM.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
      • Apr 2004

I would not put much stock in Carrington being the answer at DE. It should still be a top priority this offseason to find a clear pass rushing threat. No more crossing fingers, please.
      The Giants have the formula... as many pass rushing threats as you can get along the D-line to counter the QB driven offenses.

Comment

• Cali512
        • Jan 2012

I dont think there are any losers. Its a 4-3/3-4 defense. The base is 4-3 but there will be alot of 3-4 looks. Merriman Carrington and Moats will get there fair share of touches there in my opinion. The Pats run the same D and aside from there secondary, they do very well
        Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Cali512
          • Jan 2012

Surprised Carrington is on there. Maybe he could be our Justin Tuck? He just needs to lose some weight
          Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Just an unpaid blogger that submits pieces for a team. A read...and nothing more.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Cali512
              I dont think there are any losers. Its a 4-3/3-4 defense. The base is 4-3 but there will be alot of 3-4 looks. Merriman Carrington and Moats will get there fair share of touches there in my opinion. The Pats run the same D and aside from there secondary, they do very well
              http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article729063.ece It's a lot more about the "who" than the "how" when it comes to the Buffalo Bills' switch to a 4-3 defense this season. Who they can add to the defense will be far more important in determining their success than how they line up. One key

The change is not going to be big for most of the Bills' current players, because the Bills were a 3-4 defense in name only in 2011.

Chris Kelsay was labeled as an outside linebacker. But he lined up as an outside linebacker with three other linebackers on the field on only 10.5 percent of his plays, according to Neil Hornsby, head of ProFootballFocus.com, which goes in depth on NFL analysis. That's how much the Bills showed a more or less traditional 3-4 look.

Bills General Manager Buddy Nix said after the season the Bills were in a nickel defense -- with five defensive backs -- on 47 percent of their plays in 2011.

"I watched Houston, and [Texans coordinator] Wade Phillips is probably the granddaddy of the 3-4 right now, and at least 50 percent of the time they had four down-linemen," Nix said. "So I'm not so sure that it matters."

Nix said the expertise of new defensive coordinator Dave Wannstedt is in running the 4-3.

"But again you're talking 50 percent of the time we'll be in that and 50 percent of the time you may be in a three-man rush," Nix said. "And you're blitzing some. So, I don't think it's as big a deal as everyone wants to make it."
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Cali512
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by YardRat
                http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...d.php?t=209692

The change is not going to be big for most of the Bills' current players, because the Bills were a 3-4 defense in name only in 2011.

Chris Kelsay was labeled as an outside linebacker. But he lined up as an outside linebacker with three other linebackers on the field on only 10.5 percent of his plays, according to Neil Hornsby, head of ProFootballFocus.com, which goes in depth on NFL analysis. That's how much the Bills showed a more or less traditional 3-4 look.

Bills General Manager Buddy Nix said after the season the Bills were in a nickel defense -- with five defensive backs -- on 47 percent of their plays in 2011.

"I watched Houston, and [Texans coordinator] Wade Phillips is probably the granddaddy of the 3-4 right now, and at least 50 percent of the time they had four down-linemen," Nix said. "So I'm not so sure that it matters."

Nix said the expertise of new defensive coordinator Dave Wannstedt is in running the 4-3.

"But again you're talking 50 percent of the time we'll be in that and 50 percent of the time you may be in a three-man rush," Nix said. "And you're blitzing some. So, I don't think it's as big a deal as everyone wants to make it."

3-4 and 4-3 should be pretty much the same. The only thing that should dictate is whether the rusher is better on the ground than standing up. Like Merriman would rather stand up most likely. While a player like Dwight Freeney would force the team to have a 4-3 look most of the time.

Comment

• Akhippo
                  • Nov 2002

If they could find a RE to bring it like Paul-Peirre. M Williams?, another FA, or 1st pick in draft.

That would bring Dareus, Williams, and Carrington to an elite level.

Add an OLB and a corner and the defense is one big step closer.
                  Buy land in AK now. In ten years due to global warming, it will be the new tropical paradise, minus the tropics

Comment

• EDS
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Akhippo
                    If they could find a RE to bring it like Paul-Peirre. M Williams?, another FA, or 1st pick in draft.

That would bring Dareus, Williams, and Carrington to an elite level.

Add an OLB and a corner and the defense is one big step closer.
                    It sounds so easy, yet . . .

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Cali512
                      Surprised Carrington is on there. Maybe he could be our Justin Tuck? He just needs to lose some weight
                      I think he needs to do more than just lose some weight. Justin Tuck is one of the best DL in the NFL.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                        • Jun 2009

This is what you get when you have a couple of good Senior Bowl practices before you get drafted.

I will say Carrington has given us more then Troup from that 2010 draft.

Comment

Working...
                        X