PDA

View Full Version : Draft jealousy

Marvelous
02-12-2012, 10:26 PM
-Spilled some Dew on my/den DVR and had to break out my older DVR and saw i had the 2010 draft & combine on it. Both NFLnetwork..

-It's soooo annoying & frustrating watching teams, esp Patsies/BB trade & move around and score valuable picks.
--We all know that BB loves moving around the board trading here & there etc. but--

--BUT here's the trade that caught my attention enough to go public & post here for some fellowship hatin..

--Cards get 47th pick(LB Daryl Washington)
--BB gets 58th & 3rd-Rounder 89th pick.
-----So they move down 11 spots and good 3rd round pick..GOOD-GOD! A free 3rd rounder would be amazing for us. We coulda made a similiar deal and probably STILL been able to select Torrell Troup...

---Lets face the obvious fact. More obvious to us old-timers/over 30 Bills fans.
-FACT! Free Agents & their agents probably place us @ #30-32nd of destinations for their players,,and players will only come here if we break the bank. Which we wont! Mike Mayock called Jason Peters top 3 LT in the game and arguably THE-BEST! And we played hardball with him.. I think of Seattle with Walter Jones and the constant franchise tag they we're forced to use on him. YeahYeah, we saved the cvap space(rollsEyes) and scored the 27th pick and took the Louisville Center Wood. But imagine if Fitz had Peters? That only applies to fans like me who DON'T hate on our pleyers just because they are no longer on our team.
---SO we pretty much draft our team. A free 3rd rounder for trading down with our 2nd would make a huge difference..Nix needs to aquire more picks then we start the draft with. If he doesn't then he just doesn't comprehend the way our team works..
---This year is the perfect year to move outta the 10th overall pick. Imagine if we could pull a trade like Atlanta & Cleveland(ithinkBrowns?) pulled off..Cleveland moved to end of 1st round and scored--

--Atlanta recieved 6th pick Julio Jones-
Cleveland -recieved--27th overall
-59th(2nd round)
-124(4th round)
-2012 1st rounder
2012 4th rounder
--Talk about a trade that oculd turn around a franchise. Clevelan ended up with Nose Phil Taylor. not a top 10 prospect,but a popular 1st round talent.

--Is there a BILLS fan here who would-NOT sacrifice the 10th pick & move down to end of 1st round for all the extra picks & the extra picks the following year?

--Yeah it takes two to tango. But there's always teams willing to trade for the 10th pick. It's a great spot because there's usually the 2nd best QB of draft available,,The #1, or #2 WR,,Best RB,LB,Safety available. And there's teams in mid-to-late 20's who have NO chance whatsoever to score an elite talent like that. And those teams picking in mid-to-late 20's are good teams, usually playoff caliber teams who feel like Atlanta did. That they're 1 stud away from making a strong push/run...

--Even though we can't influence BuddyNix. We'll PatMoran can if he drives through parking lot again like he did in 2005-ish LOL..But we can atleast all get on same page with this opinion that we need to sacrifice the 10th pick to get a lesser 1st round talent & get allll those valuable picks & next years extra picks....

---Man, the combine is good stuff. ESP the DB's. Deion Sanders Mike Mayock & Charles Davis are such pleasant commentary & The Host Rich Eisen is good at keeping them focused.. Damn Charles Davis hexed us by predicting and sticking with his CJ.Spiller mock..I remember losing respect for him making such an assed-out rediculous prediction & for thinking we needed a RB when Fred Jax just emerged as a Marshal Faulk/Thurman type of all purpose,utility back.. The dude naiuled it though and now i listen just a lil bit closer when he talks...
--Combine-It's also pretty fun(for-me) to watch the older combines to see who made it etc & how the network guys fealt about so & so. 90% of the time Mike Mayock & Charles Davis are right. Deion Sanders is-NOT right. He's VERY entertaining to listen to,,but he puts too much stock into players from the south who he coached either in young-adult programs or he's related to such & such...Think Lydell Sergant. The CB, UDFA.. He was soo hyped by Deion, So was local CB(local for me) CT's own Butler. the CB Pats took in 2nd round. fast,skinny & a bust. Deion put him on a pedastool and got the kid picked a whole round higher etc......

Thoughts on draft POV?

CleveSteve
02-13-2012, 12:25 AM
I agree, I really tend to agree with those guys, although I think Charles Davis is better with linemen than mayock. Plus, he says less really creepy stuff about the players.

Night Train
02-13-2012, 06:31 AM
Actually, ESPN just showed all the Patriots picks from the last several years after moving around and missing out on multiple top players if they just sat still.

Looks like they shorted themselves several times while trying to look " Krafty ". ( pardon the pun )

DesertFox24
02-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Actually, ESPN just showed all the Patriots picks from the last several years after moving around and missing out on multiple top players if they just sat still.

Looks like they shorted themselves several times while trying to look " Krafty ". ( pardon the pun )

Could not have said it better myself.

Moving around is great for the fans but if you miss out on stars it really hurts. Pats missed out on Clay Matthews twice and have no pass rush.

Also please keep in mind the bills have 9 picks and probably one more comp pick for Poz.

Ickybaluky
02-13-2012, 09:27 AM

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This was a case where it worked out very well. I don't think they are just doing it for the sake of doing it.

The Pats traded that 58th pick again for #62 and #150. They took Brandon Spikes and Zoltan Mesko with those picks. Thus, they still got a starting ILB and a very good punter for that original pick.

The extra pick they got, #89, they flipped to Carolina for a 2011 2nd. That pick ended up being the first pick in the 2nd round, which they used to take Ras-I Dowling. He was on IR last year, but showed flashes of being a good, physical bump-n-run defender who can start for them.

In general, I would argue the trading down has worked out very well for the Pats. They missed on some players and hit on others, but overall have done pretty good with it. Remember, they are a team that is picking near the end of the draft year-in-and-year-out, so this allows them more shots at players. If they were picking near the top of the draft, I doubt they would employ the same strategy.

Ickybaluky
02-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Moving around is great for the fans but if you miss out on stars it really hurts. Pats missed out on Clay Matthews twice and have no pass rush.

Clay Matthews is a great player, but that trade-down for Matthews ended up netting them Rob Gronkowski eventually. Given how Gronk has developed and the impact player he is, I'd do that again. Matthews may help them on defense, but Gronkowski completely transformed their offense.

CleveSteve
02-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Plus, he's got some sweet moves on the dancefloor.