PDA

View Full Version : Bills Mock 2.0

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 11:11 AM
As we get into mid-February and we near the NFL combine things are starting to become clearer. Needs are being defined, players are starting to re-sign, and prospects stock is getting set. While there is still plenty left to question between now and the NFL draft, it’s time to take another look at some of the options the Bills have when it comes to their nine picks this year.

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/02/bills-7-round-mock-2-0/

CleveSteve
02-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Jeff Allen was studly at the Senior Bowl despite playing mainly OG there. He's a good player.

k-oneputt
02-13-2012, 11:19 AM
I wouldn't mind the first two picks.
The rest of the draft doesn't do much for me.

k-oneputt
02-13-2012, 11:27 AM
The last four picks....a guard, no name from Praire View who won't make it through camp, a fb..another postion they shouldn't waste a pick on. and a qb who is just a training camp arm that you can get anywhere.

I have a better idea, use those last four picks on flyers out of the SEC at positions of need.

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 11:31 AM
The last four picks....a guard, no name from Praire View who won't make it through camp, a fb..another postion they shouldn't waste a pick on. and a qb who is just a training camp arm that you can get anywhere.

I have a better idea, use those last four picks on flyers out of the SEC at positions of need.

All are positions of need, HUGE need as a matter of fact.

Ed
02-13-2012, 11:41 AM
I don't like the idea of using a pick on a FB either. We already have McIntyre and I don't think we would carry 2 FB's on the roster.

I also think there's close to a 0% chance that with 9 picks we don't draft a single DB. Nix said they want to add at least 2 CB's and we probably won't get both from free agency. Florence and McGee are both candidates for getting cut too.

So I would get rid of the G and FB picks and replace them with a CB and another LB.

justasportsfan
02-13-2012, 11:45 AM
:scratch:

7 (200). QB Alex Tanney, Monmouth

You didn’t think we would go the whole draft and not take a QB did you? Ryan Fitzpatrick was good last year but he was far from great and that is the issue. If you’re going to be a starting QB in the NFL you have to be great if you want to keep your job. Fitzpatrick’s struggles with accuracy and consistently drove fans mad last year during the collapse and because of that Fitzpatrick has every reason to have to look over his shoulder.

Tanney comes from Division III so many of you reading this probably haven’t seen him play before. You have however probably seen him throw as he is famous for his trick shot video which you can see here. Tanneyis a far better QB than just being a trick shot guy. He ran a complex offense in college that required speed and good decision making. He made many of the play calls on the fly and had to read the defenses and make adjustments as he saw them.

He’s never played in a situation where the LB’s are as fast as the CB’s he played against and the safeties can get to nearly every ball so he will have to adjust to that. He does have ideal size, strength, and skills to be a NFL caliber QB.

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 11:47 AM
I don't like the idea of using a pick on a FB either. We already have McIntyre and I don't think we would carry 2 FB's on the roster.

I also think there's close to a 0% chance that with 9 picks we don't draft a single DB. Nix said they want to add at least 2 CB's and we probably won't get both from free agency. Florence and McGee are both candidates for getting cut too.

So I would get rid of the G and FB picks and replace them with a CB and another LB.

Understandable concerns. I expect us to be active in the FA market in finding a mid level CB and LB. However my full four round mock tomorrow gives the Bills the CB and LB you want.

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 11:49 AM
:scratch:

Tanney plays in what was termed a super speed spread. The basic offense and routes are the same, but it was Tanney's job to call the play, make audibles, and snap the ball with AT LEAST 15 seconds on the play clock.

It was no huddle all game and basically he had to see it or else it was going to be a turnover. When watching them operate you can see just how advanced his field vision and pre-snap reads are.

JCBills
02-13-2012, 11:49 AM
I'd be happy but not thrilled.

The Upshaw pick seems like people getting attached to one prospect like they do every year.

If Brown was there, that's a no brainer.

I like Allen, but in that spot I'd consider a few other prospects before him.

Kearse and Koger great picks filling needs there.

Not a fan of Reynolds, and interior line can get pushed to a later pick.

With Hamilton, I'd look elsewhere.

Wouldn't mind Figgins.

Can't comment on Tanney.

justasportsfan
02-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Tanney plays in what was termed a super speed spread. The basic offense and routes are the same, but it was Tanney's job to call the play, make audibles, and snap the ball with AT LEAST 15 seconds on the play clock.

It was no huddle all game and basically he had to see it or else it was going to be a turnover. When watching them operate you can see just how advanced his field vision and pre-snap reads are.

Just wondering if our scouts think the same about him. Heaven knows we need to find a diamond in the rough in the later rounds with all the holes we have.

Maybe we can put a garbage can in the endzone and have our wr's run towards it so Tanney can hit them.

tampabay25690
02-13-2012, 01:30 PM
If we could get Zach Brown and Upshaw with the 2 first picks thats a Home run IMO.....

PTI
02-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Still losing all the November and December games because the QB is terrible, has a close to 70 QB rating in those months, not good enough in today's NFL.

k-oneputt
02-13-2012, 01:44 PM
All are positions of need, HUGE need as a matter of fact.

Fb -is not a positon of need, nor should be a drafted position.
g- we are set inside if they get everyone back.
de- from another meaningless school, yes a need position, I could find you a half dozen players from the SEC at that point.
qb- a need, but not for a d-3 qb. Please.

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Fb -is not a positon of need, nor should be a drafted position.
g- we are set inside if they get everyone back.
de- from another meaningless school, yes a need position, I could find you a half dozen players from the SEC at that point.
qb- a need, but not for a d-3 qb. Please.

FB-Strongly disagree, we have a decent FB, and its a limited option since he can neither carry the ball or catch it.

OG-Huge IF and even then, we could use upgrades and depth

Neither one of your other statements is even worth responding to both are massive needs like I said.

k-oneputt
02-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Both are needs but not for players from Praire View and Monmouth.
I've seen enough of these guys for the last ten years.

I'll take the SEC free agents over these guys any day, and so should the Bills since they have proven to be better then the actual draft picks from these places.

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Both are needs but not for players from Praire View and Monmouth.
I've seen enough of these guys for the last ten years.

I'll take the SEC free agents over these guys any day, and so should the Bills since they have proven to be better then the actual draft picks from these places.

You havent seen one of those players from either school in the last ten years, at least attempt to be factual.

k-oneputt
02-13-2012, 01:57 PM
What NFL fb actually carriess or catches the ball in todays game ?

Levitre, Urbik, Wood, Rhinhart.
no need for an older Reynolds.

k-oneputt
02-13-2012, 01:58 PM
You havent seen one of those players from either school in the last ten years, at least attempt to be factual.

Thank God, but I've seen players from schools supposedly a step above them, and they all stink.

better days
02-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Hamilton sounds intriguing in the 6th.

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 02:29 PM

Levitre, Urbik, Wood, Rhinhart.
no need for an older Reynolds.

Charles Clay.

Are you serious? Wood can't stay healthy, plays OC not OG (as of right now) and both Urbik and Rhinehart are free agents.

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Hamilton sounds intriguing in the 6th.

Yea what team who struggled with pass rush issues would want a DE who had 20.5 sacks last year?

YardRat
02-13-2012, 02:40 PM
I'd rather have an OC that kicks out to guard over an OT that kicks in, and pick up a FB as an UDFA (Bradie Ewing or Cody Johnson?)

k-oneputt
02-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Charles Clay.

Are you serious? Wood can't stay healthy, plays OC not OG (as of right now) and both Urbik and Rhinehart are free agents.

How does a fb fit in the Bills offense ? charles clay :trance: . Stop already.

As stated if they keep everybody, which I think they will,
and Reynolds is older.

k-oneputt
02-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Yea what team who struggled with pass rush issues would want a DE who had 20.5 sacks last year?

I can name three guys on this board that could get 10 sacks in that conference.

k-oneputt
02-13-2012, 02:50 PM
you are always caught up in stats with these small school guys. There are 2hd string SEC d-linemen that whould have 20 sacks too.
Kellen Moore threw for big numbers, he must be a great NFL prospect then.
C'mon.
I'm still waiting for the 1st small school Buffalo Bills wonder that was any good the last ten years.

better days
02-13-2012, 03:19 PM
you are always caught up in stats with these small school guys. There are 2hd string SEC d-linemen that whould have 20 sacks too.
C'mon.
I'm still waiting for the 1st small school Buffalo Bills wonder that was any good the last ten years.

Well, Fred Jackson from Coe College...........Marv Levys school also, has not been too shabby.

I would rather see the Bills take a chance in the 6th or 7th rnd on a small school guy that may have potential myself than a guy that has already proved he couldn't hack it in a conference such as the SEC.

JCBills
02-13-2012, 03:32 PM
C'mon.

Fred Jackson - Coe College
Ryan Fitzpatrick - Harvard
Donald Jones - Youngstown State (See: NE game 5 Rec 101 Yds 1 TD)
Demetrius Bell - Northwestern State
Terrence McGee - Northwestern State

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 03:35 PM
I'd rather have an OC that kicks out to guard over an OT that kicks in, and pick up a FB as an UDFA (Bradie Ewing or Cody Johnson?)

Ewing may get drafted, not high on Johnson he offers nothing more than McIntyre. The reason to take Figgins is because he's a lead blocker plus some. Also can split out and unbalance a line being a former TE.

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 03:37 PM
How does a fb fit in the Bills offense ? charles clay :trance: . Stop already.

As stated if they keep everybody, which I think they will,
and Reynolds is older.

So let me get this straight you don't want to even consider a possible improvement? Who cares about older? Danny Watkins was older and he got drafted high, Weeden will go in Round 2 and he's older.

He's two years older because he's a mormon and took his mission trip. Not a big deal.

k-oneputt
02-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Here again:

Freddie - free agent, pure baller
fitz- fre agent, 6th rd, pick for Bengals I beleive, average at best.
jones- Free agent, marginal at best.
Bell- decent, when he actually plays.
Mcgee- Average . Again when he isn't injured.

One good player drafted, Mcgee, one good free agent signed, Jackson.

i'll give you Greer, Peters, Wilson, and Nelson. All free agents.
come again....

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 03:38 PM
I can name three guys on this board that could get 10 sacks in that conference.

No you couldn't.

k-oneputt
02-13-2012, 03:39 PM
So let me get this straight you don't want to even consider a possible improvement? Who cares about older? Danny Watkins was older and he got drafted high, Weeden will go in Round 2 and he's older.

He's two years older because he's a mormon and took his mission trip. Not a big deal.

i like Weeden and can see it being a qb who can play longer. Drafting o-linemen in their late 20's is stupid and I don't think the Bills will do it.

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 03:40 PM
C'mon.

We went over this last year already. Stats simply provide the filler to the report. They don't mean anything.

I could just take your stance and make up wild and inaccurate statments that I can't prove.

It has nothing to do with numbers except for your own perception of them.

Fred Jackson, Demetrius Bell, you seem to like Chad Rhinehart plenty from UNI, Terrence McGee turned into a starter, do I really need to continue though? You'll just say they all suck to try and validate some fruitless point that only you care about.

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 03:41 PM
i like Weeden and can see it being a qb who can play longer. Drafting o-linemen in their late 20's is stupid and I don't think the Bills will do it.

He's 25, again at least make an attempt to be factual.

CleveSteve
02-13-2012, 03:41 PM

Kuhn, Reece, McClain, Casey are the ones that come to mind. i remember seeing Bruce Miller make a really nice TD catch on a wheel route this year.

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Kuhn, Reece, McClain, Casey are the ones that come to mind. i remember seeing Bruce Miller make a really nice TD catch on a wheel route this year.

Delaine Walker as well with SF has been pretty good as a receiving option at times.

k-oneputt
02-13-2012, 03:43 PM
He's 25, again at least make an attempt to be factual.

Who's 25 Reynolds ?
Still to old for a rookie ol. how old was Watkins 27 ?

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Who's 25 Reynolds ?
Still to old for a rookie ol. how old was Watkins 27 ?

Yes, I think 27 when drafted 28 by first game. Not 100% on the being 28 by first game part though.

Weeden will be 28 when drafted, 29 by regular season.

k-oneputt
02-13-2012, 03:44 PM

Again, where does a fb fit in this offense. ? Still waiting for that answer.

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Again, where does a fb fit in this offense. ? Still waiting for that answer.

Everywhere McIntyre currently plays plus it allows us to use our supposedly innovative offensive minded coach to use them in other formations as well.

k-oneputt
02-13-2012, 03:47 PM
We went over this last year already. Stats simply provide the filler to the report. They don't mean anything.

I could just take your stance and make up wild and inaccurate statments that I can't prove.

It has nothing to do with numbers except for your own perception of them.

Fred Jackson, Demetrius Bell, you seem to like Chad Rhinehart plenty from UNI, Terrence McGee turned into a starter, do I really need to continue though? You'll just say they all suck to try and validate some fruitless point that only you care about.

So you gave me an average starter with career injury problems and a below average starter with career injury problems out of the two drafted players over the last how many years ????

k-oneputt
02-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Everywhere McIntyre currently plays plus it allows us to use our supposedly innovative offensive minded coach to use them in other formations as well.

McIntyre plays next to nowhere in the offense. Good special teams player. Thus you don't waste a pick on a fb because Chan doesn't use one.

CleveSteve
02-13-2012, 03:59 PM
I don't really know your guys' offense, I was just replying to the question about FBs in the league who make statistical/production contributions instead of just blocking.

i will tell you, though, do not underestimate the importance of a good blocking fullback. It doesn't just show up in the numbers, it shows up in the playcalling as well. The Browns let Lawrence Vickers walk last year in free agency and played this terrible rookie from Stanford this year. First game of the season, they get first and goal from the Cincy 3. The FB isn't even in the game because he's still lost. They pass twice, then run a single-back draw and get stuffed and kick a FG. they lost the game b/c of that.

Bert102176
02-13-2012, 04:19 PM
for QB Brock Osweiler-Arizona State*

X-Era
02-13-2012, 04:25 PM
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/02/bills-7-round-mock-2-0/Really like it!

JCBills
02-13-2012, 05:19 PM
for QB Brock Osweiler-Arizona State*

Doesn't seem like Gailey's type of QB, but who knows.

The Jokeman
02-13-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm not a fan of Upshaw with the switch to the 4-3. I've gone on record with that feel Melvin Ingram is a better athlete and why selecting him and he does have a tad more experience playing on the line than Upshaw. Though realistically it's a toss up with either one.

Zach Brown fits the mold of a 4-3 OLB and is worth taking where we take him. Yet I have a feeling we're going to end up getting an OLB through UFA. Thus letting use this pick on either a WR or even Tannehill slides a new QB named Ryan to develop behind our current starter. I prefer a WR.

Jeff Allen. I agree the need for a LT but uncertain if Allen fits the Bill. I'll trust you on this pick.

Jermaine Kearse. All the scouting reports I read tell me he doesn't play to his size instead he's a speedy guy which is infact needed on this team. As Nix reports he wants a Calvin Johnson type where as Kearse to me comes off more of a Jerricho Cotchery type.

Kevin Kroger Sounds and looks great but never dominated in college. Worth a shot since we don't have much behind Chandler on the roster but rather fill the need with Jermichael Finley.

Matt Raynolds is due to be 26 by opening day. I'm not saying it's a big deal in that he'd be serving as a depth player but in terms of long term need not sure he's the best route to go.

Adrian Hamilton Small school small sized prospect. Reminds me of Arthur Moats from your writeup. If we were still running the 3-4 sure I'd take the chance but in a 4-3 not sure he's an ideal fit.

Bruce Figgins. I haven't had the time to study FBs. Yet hey it can't hurt to add one to compete with McIntyre He sounds like an H-back from your writeup but seeing his 272 lbs that's one big H-back so FB it is.

Alex Tanney, I want us to draft a QB but not this late. Brief review read sounds like a guy you bring in camp and hope develops. Not much more to be expected from a 7th Round pick.

My grade B- as you hit on need but question some of your picks. As think you're acting like we're going to do nothing in UFA but guess it's only fair since we have no idea what we're going to do there.

DraftBoy
02-13-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm not a fan of Upshaw with the switch to the 4-3. I've gone on record with that feel Melvin Ingram is a better athlete and why selecting him and he does have a tad more experience playing on the line than Upshaw. Though realistically it's a toss up with either one.

Zach Brown fits the mold of a 4-3 OLB and is worth taking where we take him. Yet I have a feeling we're going to end up getting an OLB through UFA. Thus letting use this pick on either a WR or even Tannehill slides a new QB named Ryan to develop behind our current starter. I prefer a WR.

Jeff Allen. I agree the need for a LT but uncertain if Allen fits the Bill. I'll trust you on this pick.

Jermaine Kearse. All the scouting reports I read tell me he doesn't play to his size instead he's a speedy guy which is infact needed on this team. As Nix reports he wants a Calvin Johnson type where as Kearse to me comes off more of a Jerricho Cotchery type.

Kevin Kroger Sounds and looks great but never dominated in college. Worth a shot since we don't have much behind Chandler on the roster but rather fill the need with Jermichael Finley.

Matt Raynolds is due to be 26 by opening day. I'm not saying it's a big deal in that he'd be serving as a depth player but in terms of long term need not sure he's the best route to go.

Adrian Hamilton Small school small sized prospect. Reminds me of Arthur Moats from your writeup. If we were still running the 3-4 sure I'd take the chance but in a 4-3 not sure he's an ideal fit.

Bruce Figgins. I haven't had the time to study FBs. Yet hey it can't hurt to add one to compete with McIntyre He sounds like an H-back from your writeup but seeing his 272 lbs that's one big H-back so FB it is.

Alex Tanney, I want us to draft a QB but not this late. Brief review read sounds like a guy you bring in camp and hope develops. Not much more to be expected from a 7th Round pick.

My grade B- as you hit on need but question some of your picks. As think you're acting like we're going to do nothing in UFA but guess it's only fair since we have no idea what we're going to do there.

Fair critiques and yes Im assuming the draft is tomorrow and FA is after it. The first two picks were not my own. I allowed fans of the team to vote via Twitter on our sites twitter account @BillsDraft.

TedMock
02-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Excellent work. You already know that I like Tanney and Hamilton, so I'm glad to see you went there late. They could easily be the best available at those spots.

stuckincincy
02-15-2012, 08:13 AM
I don't really know your guys' offense, I was just replying to the question about FBs in the league who make statistical/production contributions instead of just blocking.

i will tell you, though, do not underestimate the importance of a good blocking fullback. It doesn't just show up in the numbers, it shows up in the playcalling as well. The Browns let Lawrence Vickers walk last year in free agency and played this terrible rookie from Stanford this year. First game of the season, they get first and goal from the Cincy 3. The FB isn't even in the game because he's still lost. They pass twice, then run a single-back draw and get stuffed and kick a FG. they lost the game b/c of that.

I'm a big fan of blocking FBs. In 2002, CIN didn't re-sign Lorenzo Neal. He went to SD, to the great benefit of LaDainian Tomlinson.

stuckincincy
02-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Here again:

fitz- fre agent, 6th rd, pick for Bengals I beleive, average at best.

Fitz was a 2005 7th rnd pick by STL. CIN traded for him in '07. IIRC they gave STL a 5th or 6th, something like that. He sat for 2 seasons, then played 13 games in '08 in place of the injured Palmer. Played pretty well, too.

Mski
02-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Just wondering if our scouts think the same about him. Heaven knows we need to find a diamond in the rough in the later rounds with all the holes we have.

Maybe we can put a garbage can in the endzone and have our wr's run towards it so Tanney can hit them.is he the one that put that video on youtube of hitting the garbage cans and targets all over the gym a few years ago?

JCBills
02-15-2012, 10:47 AM
is he the one that put that video on youtube of hitting the garbage cans and targets all over the gym a few years ago?

He made his own version.

The original was Johnny McEntee from UConn.