X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

Key NFL Dates for 2013

With the start of the off-season, people should be aware of key dates on the NFL calendar. Here is a list, feel free to add or amend:

Feb 11: Regional Combine - Baltimore Ravens Training Facility
    Feb 18: Regional Combine - Tampa Bay Buccaneers Training Facility
    Feb 20: Teams may designate one Franchise/Transition Player
    Feb 22: NFL Scouting Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, IN Schedule Invitees NFL.com Coverage
    Feb 24: Coin toss to determine tied draft selections
    Feb 25: Regional Combine - New York Jets Training Facility
    Feb 28: Conclusion of NFL Scouting Combine, Indianapolis, IN
    Mar 3: Regional Combine - Chicago Bears Training Facility
    Mar 5: Deadline for designating one Franchise/Transition player (16:00 ET)
    Mar 10-11: Regional Combine - Atlanta Falcons Training Facility
    Mar 13: 2012 League Year starts, this includes:
    - Beginning of free-agent signing period (4:00 PM ET)
    - Beginning of trade period (4:00 PM ET)
    - Deadline for submission of qualifying offers by clubs to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with fewer than three accrued seasons whose contracts have expired (4:00 PM ET)
    Mar 17: Regional Combine - Cleveland Browns Training Facility
    Mar 17:
    - Deadline for submission of qualifying offers by clubs to retain a right of first refusal/compensation to their Restricted Free Agents whose contracts have expired
    - Begin RFA signing period
    Mar ??: Annual Owner's meeting
    Mar ??: Compensatory Draft Picks announced
    Mar ??: Official Draft Order announced
    Mar 30-31: Super Regional Combine
    Apr ??: 2012 regular season schedule announced
    Apr 21: Deadline for tendered RFA to sign with new clubs
    Apr 26: NFL Draft, Round 1, New York City, NY 7:00 PM CDT
    Apr 27: NFL Draft, Round 2-3, New York City, NY 5:00 PM CDT
    Apr 28: NFL Draft, Round 4-7, New York City, NY 11:00 AM CDT
    Jun 1:
    - Deadline for old clubs to send tender to unsigned unrestricted free agents to receive exclusive negotiating rights for rest of the season if player is not signed by another club by Jul 22
    - Deadline for old clubs to submit aqualifying offer to unsigned exclusive rights free agents of 110 percent of previous year's salary to retain exclusive negotiating rights
    - Deadline for old clubs to send tender to unsigned restricted free agents or to extend qualifying offer (110% of previous year's salary) to retain exclusive negotiating rights with exclusive rights free agents
    Jun ??: NFL Rookie Symposium
    Jun 15: Old clubs may withdraw original qualifying offer to unsigned Restricted Free Agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by submitting tender of 110 percent of previous year's salary
    Jul ??: First Training Camps begin
    Jul 22:
    - Deadline for unsigned UFA to sign with new clubs, provided they have been tendered a qualifying offer by their old club
    - Deadline for Transition Players to sign with new clubs
    Aug 5: Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, Canton, OH
    Aug 6: Hall of Fame Game, Fawcett Stadium, Canton, OH
    Aug 7: Deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs to earn an Accrued Season.
    Aug 7: Deadline for teams to trade rights for unsigned drafted Rookies
    Aug ??: Supplemental Draft
    Aug 28: Roster cutdown to maximum of 80 players
    Sep 2: Roster cutdown to maximum of 53 players
    Sep 3: Teams may establish Practice Squads
    Sep 25: Waiver claims ranked by 2011 season standings
    Oct 16: (4:00 PM ET)
    - Trade Deadline
    - Waiver System applicable for all Veteran Players
    Nov 13: (4:00 PM ET)
    - signing deadline for UFA who have been tendered a qualifying offer prior to June 1 but remained unsigned by other clubs through July 22
    - signing deadline for RFA who have been tendered a qualifying offer prior to June 1
    - signing deadline for Transition Players who remained unsigned by another club through July 22
    - signing deadline for Franchise Players
    Last edited by Ickybaluky; 02-14-2012, 03:02 PM. Reason: Title wrong year
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Re: Key NFL Dates for 2013

I was hoping they'd scrap the 3 day draft idea. I really didn't like it last year. Anyone with me on this?

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
      I was hoping they'd scrap the 3 day draft idea. I really didn't like it last year. Anyone with me on this?
      I enjoyed it, especially with Sunday being almost all UDFA's and Monday it being mostly settled.

I don't have the numbers handy but I'm pretty sure ratings wise the three day idea killed.

Found them;
      The 2011 NFL Draft is the second most-viewed ever with a total of 42 million viewers for the three days of coverage on NFLN, ESPN and ESPN2. Buffalo led all markets in average local ratings for the three-day event (see below). NFL Network posted its best-

2nd largest audience ever and that was with a lockout.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Also kind of cool that Buffalo led the market share.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
          The first rnd is so long that I think two days is fine, but having the first & biggest day of the draft on Thursday night sucks. Friday for rnd one & Saturday for the rest would be great.

Comment

• CleveSteve
            • Apr 2011

I'm assuming you mean 2012 season?

I like the two day schedule. The three day is brutal, especially if you want to attend the draft. Manhattan hotels and food are not cheap. I went in 2006 (Sat/Sun) and 2009 (Thu-Sat). I asked about the possibility of going back to two day in 2009 and the NFL rep basically told me to go eff myself, they don't care if the fans like it better or want to have draft parties or whatever, the ratings are better. Well of course the ratings are better if everyone watches at home by themselves, that's more TVs on. Oh well.
            Last edited by CleveSteve; 02-14-2012, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by CleveSteve
              I'm assuming you mean 2012 season?
              Yes, changed it. Thanks.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                • Feb 2005

This should be stickied.

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

Thanks, even though you are an Icky Patriots fan. I had no idea the NFL had regional combines too. That information could be important. Does anybody cover the regional combines? I also see that those dates put the draft on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Was it that way last year?
                  Last edited by TigerJ; 02-14-2012, 02:37 PM.
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by better days
                    The first rnd is so long that I think two days is fine, but having the first & biggest day of the draft on Thursday night sucks. Friday for rnd one & Saturday for the rest would be great.
                    OK, that's what it was. I forgot it started on a Thursday night. That's why I hated it.

I agree, though, the first round takes way too long.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by TigerJ
                      Thanks, even though you are an Icky Patriots fan. I had no idea the NFL had regional combines too. That information could be important. Does anybody cover the regional combines?
                      The regional combines are, per the NFL, "Designed to spotlight players who are not invited to the Indianapolis event, the eight combines also will be conducted specifically for players with college playing experience who want to gauge their pro potential, and for players with some pro experience who have been out of the game for a period of time."

There are 8 regional combines this year, from January 28 to March 17. They are run by the same people who run the combine. After all those combines are complete, the best players from those events are invited to a Super Regional Combine on March 30-31, which is run similar to the regular combine. That event will be attended by all the teams and their scouting departments.

Here is the link.
                      Last edited by Ickybaluky; 02-14-2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                        Also kind of cool that Buffalo led the market share.
                        Desperation and/or saps without end...
                        Last edited by stuckincincy; 02-14-2012, 03:45 PM.
                        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• mikemac2001
                          is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                          This should be stickied.

i agree

MUCK
                          FIAMI

Comment

• TedMock
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ickybaluky
                            The regional combines are, per the NFL, "Designed to spotlight players who are not invited to the Indianapolis event, the eight combines also will be conducted specifically for players with college playing experience who want to gauge their pro potential, and for players with some pro experience who have been out of the game for a period of time."

There are 8 regional combines this year, from January 28 to March 17. They are run by the same people who run the combine. After all those combines are complete, the best players from those events are invited to a Super Regional Combine on March 30-31, which is run similar to the regular combine. That event will be attended by all the teams and their scouting departments.

Here is the link.

The NFL essentially bought out an outside combine entity formerly known as ELITE Combines. Elite used to charge somewhere in the $200-$300 range for what was basically a cattle call. Anybody could go to these as long as they were willing to pay, but the top performers at each were invited to the "National Combine" every year (they still had to pay another fee to go to that, plus travel). Some of the ELITE combines were getting 20 people, but some were getting over 200.

Several of these combines were offered all over the country throughout the year and the combines were essentially a scaled-down version of what you would see at the NFL combine. There are actually several companies that do this exact thing, but ELITE was the biggest. The basic testing drills (40, 5-10-5, L or 3-cone, vertical jump, broad jump) were usually conducted. The bench press was done at some, but not others. I do not know why or how that was decided. Some basic football drills were also run, but, again, not nearly to the extent that they are at the actual combine. So, OL pulling drills, QB's to WR routes on air, etc.

The NFL took these over and scaled the availability down and moved the locations to various NFL fields, and the new National Combine invitees getting to showcase their skills in Detroit at the end (Lucky winner gets to go to Detroit?!). Supposedly, they are run by the same folks who run the NFL combine, but I noticed that the one in NY on 2/25 is right in the middle of the NFL combine in Indy. If this is true, the "same people" concept means low-level employees and interns working for the same company. Either way, the same format applies, but the price has gone down. Non-kickers pay $190 and kickers/punters pay $250 to attend. Still, anybody can go as long as they pay and with the NFL stamp on it, it is assumed that more people will register.

I have heard that the league is considering making these available to only current seniors going forward, but that has not been decided on either way. This will limit the pool of players, but it will also scale it down to who they realisitcally want to see. The guy working a full-time job and playing semi-pro on the weekend, even if talented, probably doesn't get much of a look. I was told recently that the event in Houston earlier this month was an unorganized mess (much like it was when ELITE still ran them). I was not there and cannot confirm that. It's just what an angry agent told me. There are two sides, so it's also possible that his client just did not perform well and he's blaming the system.

Right now, unless we see some real signings and progress, I see this as either the NFL just taking the opportunity to make a few bucks on the side, or working in the possibility of the neverending concept of a D-league. This comes up all the time, but maybe these combines are actually a step in that direction.

Comment

• The Spaz
                              • Mar 2003

I hate the 3 day thing. I used to make a weekend out it, and it was my thing my wife didn't bother me, and I lived in my man cave till monday morning...lol

Comment

Working...
                              X