• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

BBD Mock v4.0

Four Rounds, Five Picks...comments on picks through Round 2.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • Scumbag College
    • Oct 2002

Re: BBD Mock v4.0

I can't see the Bills going with an OT at #10 with the success they have had with UFDAs and mid to late round picks recently. Hariston and Pears aren't ideal, but there are other positions on the Bills that are just pitiful. I'm not sure about Bell's contract situation and health, but he's one to throw into the mix at OT, too.

I think the quickest way the Bills get better is with a pass rush. Also, if Steve Johnson walks and the Bills don't get a starting caliber WR in free agency, then that might be a thought in the first round as well. I think the Bills have to use at least two of the first three picks on pass rushers unless DE and OLB are addressed in free agency.
    Last edited by Scumbag College; 02-14-2012, 08:09 PM.
    Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• The Jokeman
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
      http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012-nfl-mock-draft/

Round 1 Mike Adams, he was on my radar in the preseason but his stock has fallen a little since then as still see him as a 1st Rounder but the reports I've read rank him below Jonathan Martin. Not a bad pick if Demetrius Bell is lost in UFA but might be considered a bit of a reach if we traded down to pick 16-24 like this pick a lot more. EDIT: Or another possibly would be the trade partner with Dallas that allow them to get Kendall Wright be great. If they were to give us a pick in the 3rd Round this year or possibly a 2nd in 2013.

Round 2 DE Ronnell Lewis, his lack of size scares me as a DE. I prefer guys in the 265 range. His sack totals have never been big. If reports that he could be a 6-8 sack guy which are good but not great and being we more of an Aaron Schobel than a Chris Kelsay was hoping for a 8-12 sack guy. Passing on Vinny Curry was a slight surprise yet I know he's sliding down the draft charts not sure would want to let him pass us though.

Round 3 CB Alonzo Dennard, great value if he did fall this far. As I see him as a mid to late 2nd Rounder. Could definately step in as a nickel CB as a rookie and be a guy to replacing an aging Drayton Florence in 2013.

Round 4A QB BJ Coleman, might never be more than an NFL backup but I like taking a chance on a QB in this round since we have two picks to use. Yet all the scouting reports give him high intangible rankings which good for QBs taken later than sooner.

Round 4B OLB Keenan Robinson, grades well for a 4-3 SLB. He might not be a compliment to Sheppherd though as read he's another react type guy. That said not a bad pick in the 4th Round.

Grade B+ I like it a helluva better than your last mock. My least favorite pick was Lewis but all and all solid job filling needs just a matter of my personal preferences in Rounds 1 and 2 but wouldn't be overly disappointed with this draft on the whole.
      Last edited by The Jokeman; 02-14-2012, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• JCBills
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by The Jokeman
        Round 1 Mike Adams, he was on my radar in the preseason but his stock has fallen a little since then as still see him as a 1st Rounder but the reports I've read rank him below Jonathan Martin. Not a bad pick if Demetrius Bell is lost in UFA but might be considered a bit of a reach if we traded down to pick 16-24 like this pick a lot more. EDIT: Or another possibly would be the trade partner with Dallas that allow them to get Kendall Wright be great. If they were to give us a pick in the 3rd Round this year or possibly a 2nd in 2013.

Round 2 DE Ronnell Lewis, his lack of size scares me as a DE. I prefer guys in the 265 range. His sack totals have never been big. If reports that he could be a 6-8 sack guy which are good but not great and being we more of an Aaron Schobel than a Chris Kelsay was hoping for a 8-12 sack guy. Passing on Vinny Curry was a slight surprise yet I know he's sliding down the draft charts not sure would want to let him pass us though.

Round 3 CB Alonzo Dennard, great value if he did fall this far. As I see him as a mid to late 2nd Rounder. Could definately step in as a nickel CB as a rookie and be a guy to replacing an aging Drayton Florence in 2013.

Round 4A QB BJ Coleman, might never be more than an NFL backup but I like taking a chance on a QB in this round since we have two picks to use. Yet all the scouting reports give him high intangible rankings which good for QBs taken later than sooner.

Round 4B OLB Keenan Robinson, grades well for a 4-3 SLB. He might not be a compliment to Sheppherd though as read he's another react type guy. That said not a bad pick in the 4th Round.

Grade B+ I like it a helluva better than your last mock. My least favorite pick was Lewis but all and all solid job filling needs just a matter of my personal preferences in Rounds 1 and 2 but wouldn't be overly disappointed with this draft on the whole.
        I doubt they look OT at #10 with Nix's draft history.

The earliest the Chargers took an OT was the 2nd round, Marcus McNeill in 2006. They spent one other 2nd rounder on OG Toniu Fonoti in 2002, and a 3rd rounder on Nick Hardwick in 2004. Other than that, it was mid and late round picks on OL.

Not saying it isn't possible, but with the team's needs on defense, I'm thinking they probably look to that side of the ball again this year, except maybe a wideout depending on FA and the Stevie situation.

Agreed on Lewis, and I haven't seen anything about Curry sliding right now. He had an impressive Senior Bowl showing, and I'm also on the same page with ideal size. There are always exceptions, but I'd prefer someone with the size to hold up against the run. They also said they were looking for someone with length, so I think more than just long arms.

Comment

• TigerJ
          • Jul 2002

If you're assuming Buffalo signs someone like Mario Williams or Cliff Avrill as a free agent, I like it a lot, but I would fear having to go into next season depending on Shawn Merriman's ability to get and stay healthy and switch back to his college position, and Chris Kelsay competing with Alex Carrington for the starting role at LDE.
          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Cali512
            • Jan 2012

I litterally was smiling and saying wow this is realistic. Then i got to bills and it said OT and i shut it off. The only OT i would think about is Kalil but we neeeeed a DE
            Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• jamze132
              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
              http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012-nfl-mock-draft/

Nix ain't drafting no O-lineman in the 1st. Stop trying to outsmart yourself!

Comment

• Raptor
                • Jan 2009

Is Mike Adams really worth the 10th pick in the draft? Can we move down and get him? We would take him over J.Martin?

Ill admit I don't remember him from this past year but I also only watched about one Ohio State game

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                  • Sep 2003

RD 1 I would puke.
                  RD 2 Just what we need another 240 lb DE, no thank you
                  RD 3 Its Alfonzo not Alonzo, just saying.
                  RD 4 Doubt we invest in another QB with what they are paying Fitz and Thig. Next year I believe they will pick a QB.

I do appriciate the effort that you put in. I know its a ton of hours... so thanks.

RD1-OLB Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
                  RD2-DE Whitney Mercilus, no way he makes it out of RD 1 though...
                  RD3-CB Alonzo Dennard, Nebraska, again most likely gone RD 1
                  RD4-Brandon Mosley, OT, Auburn, raw talent lots of upside.
                  RD4-Jordan White, WR, Western Michigan
                  Last edited by alohabillsfan; 02-15-2012, 05:57 AM.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

I think that our biggest need, by far, is a pass rush. This mock doesn't really meet that need. I would look for the best pass rushing DE or OLB in the first round rather than an OT. I believe the Bills really like Hairston at LT.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Scumbag College
                      I can't see the Bills going with an OT at #10 with the success they have had with UFDAs and mid to late round picks recently. Hariston and Pears aren't ideal, but there are other positions on the Bills that are just pitiful. I'm not sure about Bell's contract situation and health, but he's one to throw into the mix at OT, too.

I think the quickest way the Bills get better is with a pass rush. Also, if Steve Johnson walks and the Bills don't get a starting caliber WR in free agency, then that might be a thought in the first round as well. I think the Bills have to use at least two of the first three picks on pass rushers unless DE and OLB are addressed in free agency.
                      At some point you have to get away from only utilizing UDFA's and take a top end talent. The Bills aren't very good at OT and I know the sacks number will get trumpeted but nobody who watched the Bills can honestly say we have our answer at OT for the next 10 years.

I put OT at need 1b with pass rush at 1a. I dont like the value for pass rushers at 10 in that scenario.

Absolutely on the WR angle and I think CB will be in play too with Kirkpatrick.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Jokeman

Adams likely wont be there much lower, LT tend to get over drafted. Trade down and you may be forced to reach on another player.

Lewis is a guy Im very high on after doing another review of his film last week. He is a guy I think will be a much better pro than college player. He showed flashes last year before nagging injuries kept him down. His weight doesn't concern me because he generates good power.

Dennard is slipping, does he fall that much? Not sure but he did in the situation and it make the pick a no brainer.

Thanks for reading and the feedback!
                        COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JCBills
                          I doubt they look OT at #10 with Nix's draft history.

The earliest the Chargers took an OT was the 2nd round, Marcus McNeill in 2006. They spent one other 2nd rounder on OG Toniu Fonoti in 2002, and a 3rd rounder on Nick Hardwick in 2004. Other than that, it was mid and late round picks on OL.

Not saying it isn't possible, but with the team's needs on defense, I'm thinking they probably look to that side of the ball again this year, except maybe a wideout depending on FA and the Stevie situation.

Agreed on Lewis, and I haven't seen anything about Curry sliding right now. He had an impressive Senior Bowl showing, and I'm also on the same page with ideal size. There are always exceptions, but I'd prefer someone with the size to hold up against the run. They also said they were looking for someone with length, so I think more than just long arms.
                          Yep this contradicts Nix's draft history fully in regards to an OT but not in regards to BPA. Adams was the top player on my board at the time of the pick. Pass rush would of required us to reach for a player who doesn't fit or wasn't of equal value.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TigerJ
                            If you're assuming Buffalo signs someone like Mario Williams or Cliff Avrill as a free agent, I like it a lot, but I would fear having to go into next season depending on Shawn Merriman's ability to get and stay healthy and switch back to his college position, and Chris Kelsay competing with Alex Carrington for the starting role at LDE.
                            Im assuming it goes draft tomorrow and FA next week.
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jamze132
                              Nix ain't drafting no O-lineman in the 1st. Stop trying to outsmart yourself!
                              Not about outsmarting ourselves as much as it is to being open to idea of different options. Like I always say with these, I dont go for accuracy till my very last one. Before that its all about combinations, fits, values, reaches, and steals.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X