• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skooby
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Stevie Johnson should get a franchise tag

Stevie's attitude is the main factor in determining to invest a substantial amount of money into him over the next several years. The franchise tag for wide receivers is projected to be worth around $9.5 million this season, so it gives us a one more year look to see if Stevie is willing to behave.

We benched Stevie for poor behavior near the end of the season. There was also a few serious dropped passes that costs us some games, which obviously needs to change. I'd also like to see if his speech of "I'm done with it" claim on celebrations rings true. Then I can see the Bills spending the money late during this season to make a new contract with him, less risk with another year for him to mature.

The franchise tag benefits:

1.) Stevie can't leave without the Bills being compensated in some way.

2.) Another year look to see if he can improve his play / behavior.

3.) Lower cap hit for the first year because of new contract signing bonus.

4.) Rules changed so the franchise tag offer will be the average of the top paid player at the respective position over the last five seasons. This reduce the amount that the Bills team need to offer a Stevie versus previous years.

Go Bills.
    Last edited by Skooby; 02-16-2012, 07:53 AM.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Stevie Johnson should get a franchise tag

Could be.

With no signing bonus attached to the tag, it would actually be cheaper to go that route than a new contract at this time.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

We need to keep in mind there is no guarantee he'd actually sign the tag or that he wouldn't sign it only under the condition that the Bills will not tag him again next year.

A lot of this discussion will be dependent on how much cap room we have. 9.5 committed to a WR we aren't sure about being a true #1 or not is a big number if you're only looking at 12-15 million in room.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
        We need to keep in mind there is no guarantee he'd actually sign the tag or that he wouldn't sign it only under the condition that the Bills will not tag him again next year.

A lot of this discussion will be dependent on how much cap room we have. 9.5 committed to a WR we aren't sure about being a true #1 or not is a big number if you're only looking at 12-15 million in room.
        We would retain his rights, and if his agent advised him to not play and Stevie took that advice than they are both dumbasses.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
          We would retain his rights, and if his agent advised him to not play and Stevie took that advice than they are both dumbasses.
          Well its not like its unprecedented.

What does retaining his rights get us though? Maybe a mid-round pick? We don't know what the market looks like, so is the risk of possibly half our cap space being taken up worth the reward of being able to possibly trade him for a mid round pick or getting him for one more year?

The goal has to be a long term deal, and I think we all agree there.
          COMING SOON...

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Well its not like its unprecedented.

What does retaining his rights get us though? Maybe a mid-round pick? We don't know what the market looks like, so is the risk of possibly half our cap space being taken up worth the reward of being able to possibly trade him for a mid round pick or getting him for one more year?

The goal has to be a long term deal, and I think we all agree there.
            It gives us another year to achieve the long-term deal. I wouldn't be an advocate of a tag & trade, I'd prefer tag & sign. I also don't want him to walk with zero compensation, though.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

It gives us another year to achieve the long-term deal. I wouldn't be an advocate of a tag & trade, I'd prefer tag & sign. I also don't want him to walk with zero compensation, though.
              Ideally neither do I, however I'm not sure I want the risk of Stevie taking just the franchise tag. His number likely isn't going to come down anymore after next year. So unless the Bills are suddenly going to be willing to pony up more we are risking a lot with the tag imo.
              COMING SOON...

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

His number will come down when he's looking at a flat salary only with no big bonus check to take to the bank.

Tag him at 9.5, then before camp starts ink a new deal for 7.5 per that includes a nice chunk up front.

Maybe tagging him would send a message that he really is wanted here and could help facilitate a deal getting done.

If we don't he'll be on the left coast before the first weekend of FA is over.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

The Bills should sign Stevie to a new contract before he can hit FA IMO.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                    Skoobasaurus-Rex
                    • Oct 2011

His number will come down when he's looking at a flat salary only with no big bonus check to take to the bank.

Tag him at 9.5, then before camp starts ink a new deal for 7.5 per that includes a nice chunk up front.

Maybe tagging him would send a message that he really is wanted here and could help facilitate a deal getting done.

If we don't he'll be on the left coast before the first weekend of FA is over.
                    The franchise tag benefits:

1.) Stevie can't leave without the Bills being compensated in some way.

2.) Another year look to see if he can improve his play / behavior.

3.) Lower cap hit for the first year because of new contract signing bonus.

4.) Rules changed so the franchise tag offer will be the average of the top paid player at the respective position over the last five seasons. This reduce the amount that the Bills team need to offer a Stevie versus previous years.
                    Last edited by Skooby; 02-16-2012, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

I doubt it. He is a 7th round pick who hasn't had a chance at a big contract. The moment he signs the tender it becomes guaranteed. If he doesn't sign it they can withdraw it.

Johnson has earned about $2.4M for his first 4 years in the NFL. He is going to turn down 4 times that much to play for 1 year? No chance. He would sign that contract before the ink is dry.

Being tagged again isn't exactly a threat either. Johnson is 25 years old. If he is tagged again he gets 120% of his 2012 salary. That means he will have a chance to earn a guaranteed $21 in the next 2 years and still will be able to hit free agency at 27 years old. He would love that. I know the downside is the chance of serious injury, but that isn't as big a deal for a WR and they sell insurance for that sort of thing.

I agree he should be tagged, although for the Bills that means they are negotiating off the tender. Still, he has proven to be a very good receiver over the last 2 years, and the Bills can afford to tag him. He is a good player that they have developed, and good teams keep guys like that. The Bills need to find a way to get it done, and if not the tag is a good option to keep his rights.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                        Skoobasaurus-Rex
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Ickybaluky
                        I doubt it. He is a 7th round pick who hasn't had a chance at a big contract. The moment he signs the tender it becomes guaranteed. If he doesn't sign it they can withdraw it.

Johnson has earned about $2.4M for his first 4 years in the NFL. He is going to turn down 4 times that much to play for 1 year? No chance. He would sign that contract before the ink is dry.

Being tagged again isn't exactly a threat either. Johnson is 25 years old. If he is tagged again he gets 120% of his 2012 salary. That means he will have a chance to earn a guaranteed $21 in the next 2 years and still will be able to hit free agency at 27 years old. He would love that. I know the downside is the chance of serious injury, but that isn't as big a deal for a WR and they sell insurance for that sort of thing.

I agree he should be tagged, although for the Bills that means they are negotiating off the tender. Still, he has proven to be a very good receiver over the last 2 years, and the Bills can afford to tag him. He is a good player that they have developed, and good teams keep guys like that. The Bills need to find a way to get it done, and if not the tag is a good option to keep his rights.
                        Brilliant post.

Comment

• ddaryl
                          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                          • Jan 2005

I believe the Tag needs to be on the table in regards to Stevie...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ickybaluky

Vincent Jackson. He for a long time refused to sign his tag, was an UDFA and made the franchise promise not to re-tag him this year if he signed his tender.

Also let's keep in mind the bolded part goes both way. Football can be a 15 year career or a 5 day career sport. One hit and its all over. 9.5 guaranteed for one year is damn good money but why would he not look for a 4-5 year deal with 12-15 guaranteed?

I dont think Stevie would sign a tag just because its a huge raise. He's getting a huge raise either way, he's looking for a long term deal not a one year tag.
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Vincent Jackson. He for a long time refused to sign his tag, was an UDFA and made the franchise promise not to re-tag him this year if he signed his tender.
                              No, not quite. He refused to sign his restricted tender, which was for far less money ($3M). Jackson, like Logan Mankins, was one of the victims of the uncapped year rules that meant guys were restricted for 6 years and was pissed about it. He held out because the restricted money was pennies on the dollar.

He was franchised tagged last year, but with the lockout guys were in limbo. He signed the tender on July 29, 2011, which happened to be the first day he could sign it. He couldn't sign it fast enough because the $11M+ tender was way more money than he ever made in his career.

There was also no franchise prohibition on his tender. He did try to get the franchise tag removed as a possibility during the CBA negotiation so he could hit free agency, but gave up on that. If the Chargers wanted to they could tag Jackson again, the problem is it would cost them 120% of his last year salary ($13.7M). Jackson actually said he would be OK with that (who could blame him), but the Chargers feel it is too rich for their blood.

Even if a guy wants a long-term deal, it is stupid not to sign the franchise tender because the money becomes guaranteed at that point. Johnson wouldn't hesitate.

Also let's keep in mind the bolded part goes both way. Football can be a 15 year career or a 5 day career sport. One hit and its all over. 9.5 guaranteed for one year is damn good money but why would he not look for a 4-5 year deal with 12-15 guaranteed?
                              If a guy has a chance to make 4 times what he has made in his entire career for one year he is going to do so. He will keep trying to negotiate that extension, but the one-year deal is a nice fallback.

Injuries aren't as big a concern for WR as other positions. If he really worries about that he can buy an insurance policy if he suffers a serious injury. At the end of the day, $9.5M guaranteed for one year is not a bad fallback for a 25 year-old guy who never had a big payday.

I dont think Stevie would sign a tag just because its a huge raise. He's getting a huge raise either way, he's looking for a long term deal not a one year tag.
                              A long-term deal is preferable, but really the tag isn't that bad a deal for Johnson. $9.5M is a pretty good sum of money, and he can still work on a long-term deal with the team. If they can't agree, he can still hit free agency next year and be just as marketable at 26 years old. Same difference if they tag him again.

No way he turns his nose up at the tender.

Comment

Working...
                              X