PDA

View Full Version : Bills and Stevie are reportedly far apart

X-Era
02-19-2012, 06:50 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827129d6/article/source-says-wr-johnson-doesnt-expect-bills-to-use-franchise-tag

"A person familiar with the contract talks between the Buffalo Bills (http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF) and Stevie Johnson said the two sides remain "far apart," and added that the receiver doesn't expect the team to use its franchise tag to retain him."

Luisito23
02-19-2012, 06:54 PM
So basically nothing has changed...Good to know.

YardRat
02-19-2012, 07:00 PM
We'll see what shakes out over the next week or so.

mrbojanglezs
02-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Nix doesn't want to break the bank on johnson if he is breaking the bank he will do it on a guy like jackson

Skooby
02-19-2012, 07:30 PM
He's totally franchise tag material based on needing to see a change in attitude, the dude is talented but still has things to learn about life. Give him a huge raise like a $9 Million salary & let's see what he can do. I wouldn't spend any long term money until a one more year sample.

Mr. Miyagi
02-19-2012, 07:36 PM
I thought Stevie was asking for 7.5 million. It's a ****** bargain.

clumping platelets
02-19-2012, 08:02 PM
If they are far apart, Johnson was/is not looking for $7.5 million per

DBrown77
02-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Isnt everyone when negotiations begin?

Raptor
02-19-2012, 08:50 PM
I mean well yea, if they weren't this thing prob would have been wrapped up awhile ago

Nothing gets done without a deadline and with three weeks to go Im not real worried yet

Raptor
02-19-2012, 08:51 PM
I thought Stevie was asking for 7.5 million. It's a ****** bargain.

That was the beginning of the year home town discount price..... The Bills passed on that and Johnson went on to have another 1,000 yard year so the price has gone up

NOT THE DUDE...
02-19-2012, 08:53 PM
still lots of time. 3 weeks is a long time for this kind of thing...

utmhead
02-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Albert breer of nfl networks, says Johnson will be recieving an offer from the Pats. He kills the them so they will try and sign him.
Being a pats fan not sure how I feel about this.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Albert breer of nfl networks, says Johnson will be recieving an offer from the Pats. He kills the them so they will try and sign him.

ugh

better days
02-20-2012, 12:11 AM

Pats* are notoriously CHEAP. If Stevie wants to cash in, he will have to get his money from a team other than the Pats*

And if the Pats* try to sign Stevie, the Bills should go after Welker.

kingJofNYC
02-20-2012, 12:25 AM
7.5m was a ****ing pipe dream, that deal would've been signed months ago.

Steve wants his pay day, guy made nothing as a 7th round pick. Get what you can.

Michael82
02-20-2012, 12:29 AM

I hope to God you are wrong! :puke:

Ickybaluky
02-20-2012, 05:39 AM
Pats* are notoriously CHEAP.

Funny. The Pats "notoriously cheap", yet they have 3 players in the top few of the NFL at their positions (Brady, Wilfork, Mankins). How many of guys do the Bills have among the highest paid? The Pats have shown they are willing to spend money on any player they think is worth the value. They are value-based, but have signed some players to very big contracts.

That said, the Breer thing is conjecture. He isn't reporting something, he is just saying Johnson fits the profile of a guy the Pats would go after:

Amid the Mike Wallace chatter, I'm surprised more people -- I brought this up on @985TheSportsHub -- aren't looking at Stevie Johnson for NE
---
3 reasons for my Stevie/NE logic: 1) He KILLED the Patriots this year; 2) He gives Revis more trouble than any WR; 3) He's a vertical threat
---
That, of course, would be if the Bills/Johnson can't come to a deal, Bills don't tag him. But it is something that should be on their radar.
---
Just like he wouldn't tolerate Moss? Or Haynesworth? Or Ocho? RT @Bill_Neville @AlbertBreer Belichick won't tolerate Johnson's antics
---
I understand the diva thing might make it hard for Belichick. I agree w/those tweeting that. I just think there's merit to the overall idea.
---
@Bill_Neville I do understand what you're saying -- They'd have to figure that part out. But he does fit profile of some past NE signings.

I do think the Pats are going to be more active in FA this year, because there are players available who they will be interested in and they are in good cap shape. That said... hard to imagine them signing a Johnson unless they are ready to let Welker go. Can't sign 2 big contracts on that side of the ball. It is possible they decide to move on from Wes, given his age and them already having other weapons to work the middle of the field. I could see them signing an outside WR to better compliment that.

alohabillsfan
02-20-2012, 06:19 AM
If it came down to signing Johnson or a FA DE I would spend the money on a DE. IMO

DraftBoy
02-20-2012, 06:53 AM
While this isn't a huge surprise, I'm not as easy going about it as others are.

While its true that most of the times when negotiations start the parties aren't all that close, very rarely is that publicized only 24-48 hours after the intial numbers were exchanged.

That tells me this is more than just "well they just started the process" type story.

ddaryl
02-20-2012, 07:17 AM
IMO, this is a typical agent leaks something to the press to get the fans all stirred up to add pressure the organization ahead of their scheduled meet and greet at the combine.

Who else would be close to negotiations who would leak such info

DraftBoy
02-20-2012, 07:24 AM
IMO, this is a typical agent leaks something to the press to get the fans all stirred up to add pressure the organization ahead of their scheduled meet and greet at the combine.

Who else would be close to negotiations who would leak such info

Teams have leaked this info before too.

More often than not fan bases rally around the team and put pressure on the player to lower his demands, and not hold out, etc., etc.

Also could be a PR move to get the fan base ready for the depature of Stevie.

Right now it's all speculation but this coming out so quickly after intial offers were exchange smells.

better days
02-20-2012, 07:30 AM
Funny. The Pats "notoriously cheap", yet they have 3 players in the top few of the NFL at their positions (Brady, Wilfork, Mankins). How many of guys do the Bills have among the highest paid? The Pats have shown they are willing to spend money on any player they think is worth the value. They are value-based, but have signed some players to very big contracts.

That said, the Breer thing is conjecture. He isn't reporting something, he is just saying Johnson fits the profile of a guy the Pats would go after:

I do think the Pats are going to be more active in FA this year, because there are players available who they will be interested in and they are in good cap shape. That said... hard to imagine them signing a Johnson unless they are ready to let Welker go. Can't sign 2 big contracts on that side of the ball. It is possible they decide to move on from Wes, given his age and them already having other weapons to work the middle of the field. I could see them signing an outside WR to better compliment that.

Well who exactly on the Bills do you think deserves to be paid top money for their positions? Let me answer for you...........NOBODY.

3 Stars on the Pats* are paid the rest of the team isn't. Do you think Welker will join the list of top paid? I can guarantee the Pats* would not make Stevie Johnson one of the top paid at his position.

If Stevie hits FA, I can see the Skins, Rams, Fins & 49ers to name a few that would outbid the Pats* for him.

utmhead
02-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Well who exactly on the Bills do you think deserves to be paid top money for their positions? Let me answer for you...........NOBODY.

3 Stars on the Pats* are paid the rest of the team isn't. Do you think Welker will join the list of top paid? I can guarantee the Pats* would not make Stevie Johnson one of the top paid at his position.

If Stevie hits FA, I can see the Skins, Rams, Fins & 49ers to name a few that would outbid the Pats* for him.

Thats right the Bills spend right to the cap.... ummm no they dont,

The Pats actually spend the money.

better days
02-20-2012, 07:36 AM
Thats right the Bills spend right to the cap.... ummm no they dont,

The Pats actually spend the money.

What is their cap number now? I doubt the Pats* are up against the cap like a team such as the Steelers.

utmhead
02-20-2012, 08:08 AM
What is their cap number now? I doubt the Pats* are up against the cap like a team such as the Steelers.

The Pats have about 20 million so spend, per ESPN

better days
02-20-2012, 08:12 AM
The Pats have about 20 million so spend, per ESPN

Pretty high number considering the money paid to the big three on that team. The Steelers & a couple other teams are tight against the cap & will have to let a couple players leave like the Jets did this past year.

ServoBillieves
02-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Stevie won't re-sign here. Just calling it.

utmhead
02-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Pretty high number considering the money paid to the big three on that team. The Steelers & a couple other teams are tight against the cap & will have to let a couple players leave like the Jets did this past year.

How much room did the bills have last year and this year ?
Oh wait Ralph just pockets the money and does not spend even close to the cap.

better days
02-20-2012, 08:32 AM
How much room did the bills have last year and this year ?
Oh wait Ralph just pockets the money and does not spend even close to the cap.

I would hope the Bills can resign Stevie, but if they don't there are MANY other teams that would spend more to sign Stevie than the Pats* would.

If he can't be resigned I would hope the Bills tag & trade Stevie.

utmhead
02-20-2012, 08:38 AM
You did not answer my question.
how much did they spend to the cap? that was your whole point. the pats dont spend and the bills do
I honestly dont think that pats will sign him either, but saying the pats dont spend and bills do is a joke

ddaryl
02-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Teams have leaked this info before too.

More often than not fan bases rally around the team and put pressure on the player to lower his demands, and not hold out, etc., etc.

Also could be a PR move to get the fan base ready for the departure of Stevie.

Right now it's all speculation but this coming out so quickly after intial offers were exchange smells.

I don't see that being the case here, as Bills fans are not really on the side of management, and most want Stevie resigned. You can prepare the fans for his departure but that pretty much will do nothing to combat the ire that will follow from the majority of fans. You can not prepare Bills fans at this point who are tried of letting guys like Stevie walk but retain Kelsay's for big money.

I still think this article is nothing to get worked up about, but it sure has done exactly that for many fans who are already freaking out.

THATHURMANATOR
02-20-2012, 08:44 AM
I don't care if Johnson leaves

I will care if they don't upgrade WR, meaning signing a guy like Jackson AND another WR who will bolster the unit.

Ickybaluky
02-20-2012, 10:23 AM

Just like they were out-bid for Rosie Colvin and Adalius Thomas?

The Pats don't normally spend crazy money in FA, but if there is someone they want to target you can't say they have never done so before. They usually prefer to pay their own guys and spread their money around, but occasionally they will go out and target a guy who gets paid top dollar. They have the cap room to do so this year.

better days
02-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Just like they were out-bid for Rosie Colvin and Adalius Thomas?

The Pats don't normally spend crazy money in FA, but if there is someone they want to target you can't say they have never done so before. They usually prefer to pay their own guys and spread their money around, but occasionally they will go out and target a guy who gets paid top dollar. They have the cap room to do so this year.

I may be mistaken, but I think both those guys took less than they could have to play for the Pats* I think if Stevie leaves Buffalo it will be all about the Money.

better days
02-20-2012, 10:41 AM
You did not answer my question.
how much did they spend to the cap? that was your whole point. the pats dont spend and the bills do
I honestly dont think that pats will sign him either, but saying the pats dont spend and bills do is a joke

I NEVER said the Bills spend to the cap. I said if Stevie leaves in FA, OTHER teams would be willing to pay him more than the Pats* would.

DraftBoy
02-20-2012, 10:44 AM
I don't see that being the case here, as Bills fans are not really on the side of management, and most want Stevie resigned. You can prepare the fans for his departure but that pretty much will do nothing to combat the ire that will follow from the majority of fans. You can not prepare Bills fans at this point who are tried of letting guys like Stevie walk but retain Kelsay's for big money.

I still think this article is nothing to get worked up about, but it sure has done exactly that for many fans who are already freaking out.

Im not saying its for anything, just pointing out that its not always agents that leak these things and the motives for it.

I think the timing of this stinks a lot.

Ed
02-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Well the good news is that they're still planning to meet at the combine. If they were really so far a part that a deal can't get done, I don't think they would waste each others time. If they're just exchanging proposals right now before an actual meeting, there's not much incentive for either side to budge right now. If they're still far a part after the combine, that would be a lot more concerning.

Steve Johnson has also said though, that even if he hits the open market the Bills will still be in play. Obviously Nix doesn't want to spend more than he has to and Stevie doesn't want to take less than he could get as a free agent, so maybe they're intentionally staying far a part so that they can use another team as leverage. Like Clabo did with the Bills last year.

Historian
02-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Franchise him and let him mope...

better days
02-20-2012, 11:28 AM

If it comes to that, I would rather see him traded than to play the year for the franchise tag myself.

Bill Cody
02-20-2012, 11:37 AM
WR is my least favorite position in the NFL. 98% of them are divas, so boring.

feldspar
02-20-2012, 11:49 AM
SOMEBODY is going to give Stevie around $7.5 million per year...that's the thing. He's still only 25 and is just hitting his stride. I say give that to him now, before somebody sets a ridiculous market in FA.

...look what we gave Lee Evans, for Christ's sake. I think he was like the 3rd highest paid WR in the league when we gave him that contract, which was heavily front-loaded. Stevie is asking for middle-of-the-pack #1 WR money, which seems about right to me.

ddaryl
02-20-2012, 11:57 AM
SOMEBODY is going to give Stevie around $7.5 million per year...that's the thing. He's still only 25 and is just hitting his stride. I say give that to him now, before somebody sets a ridiculous market in FA.

...look what we gave Lee Evans, for Christ's sake. I think he was like the 3rd highest paid WR in the league when we gave him that contract, which was heavily front-loaded. Stevie is asking for middle-of-the-pack #1 WR money, which seems about right to me.

I have never seen a quote where anyone has mentioned what Stevie wants. I've seen the $7..5 number thrown around, but nobody has even showed a source of who was asking for what

For all we know the Bills are offering $7.5 and Stevie wants $10

Ed
02-20-2012, 11:58 AM
If the Bills are willing to franchise Stevie then they should just give him a long term deal. Since Kyle Williams got about $17 million guaranteed with his 6 year extension and Fitzpatrick got about $24 million guaranteed with his 6 year deal, I think it's safe to assume that Stevie would get around $20 million guaranteed. So with a franchise tag you're basically paying him half a signing bonus for one year of play. Assuming he has another 1000+ yd/10+ TD season, his contract demands are only going to go way up. So we'd be in the same boat next year except now we have to pay him even more for future years after already paying him more in 2012 then if he had just been re-signed to a long term deal now. The other scenario is that he gets hurt, goes on IR, and a huge chunk of our cap space is wasted on a guy that can't help the team. Maybe his value wouldn't be as high as it could have, but it's not going to be any less than it is right now so you still have to go through the whole process again.

feldspar
02-20-2012, 12:43 PM
I have never seen a quote where anyone has mentioned what Stevie wants. I've seen the $7..5 number thrown around, but nobody has even showed a source of who was asking for what

For all we know the Bills are offering $7.5 and Stevie wants $10

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/29/report-stevie-johnson-wants-7-5-million-per-year/

kingJofNYC
02-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Only thing I learned since my last post is how grossly overpaid Vince Wilfork is. Played like a chump in the SB.

Again, that 7.5m is a pipe dream. From just a pure value standpoint anything over 8.75 is too much for Stevie. I'm not saying they shouldn't sign him, but I'm not sure he's a 9m+ receiver.

Goobylal
02-20-2012, 01:27 PM
If the Pats let Welker walk because they didn't want to pay him, there's no way they're giving SJ what he wants.

As for their cap room, they have 20 FA's, and 17 are UFA's. If they spend a lot on retaining Welker, that's fewer decent players they'll be able to add/retain. And unlike the Bills, they have high standards to maintain, given the prices they charge for tickets.

YardRat
02-20-2012, 02:47 PM
From feldspar's link...

Agent C.J. Laboy commented on the situation with Sal Capaccio of WGR. “We were approached to do a deal prior to the season starting,” Laboy said. “When it became clear that the two sides were too far apart,

Obviously this isn't a case of the two parties exchanging numbers just recently.

methos4ever
02-20-2012, 02:58 PM
From feldspar's link...

Agent C.J. Laboy commented on the situation with Sal Capaccio of WGR. “We were approached to do a deal prior to the season starting,” Laboy said. “When it became clear that the two sides were too far apart,

Obviously this isn't a case of the two parties exchanging numbers just recently.
That link is from 12/29 yard.

PTI
02-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Heck, I'd dump Fitz right now and give that money Johnson. Fitz is an awful QB, and there are 4 QBs that could do just as well as him this year in the draft. Heck, I would take a chance on Claussen still instead of knowing you have no chance to ever win with Fitzpatrick.

YardRat
02-20-2012, 03:49 PM
That link is from 12/29 yard.

“We were approached to do a deal prior to the season starting,” Laboy said. “When it became clear that the two sides were too far apart,

I know the link is from late December, but by the agent's own admission numbers were tossed around before the season.

homeslice5484
02-20-2012, 03:51 PM
It's funny how people act like they know what he is asking for and was asking for. These are "sources say" things, but no one really knew.

Dude isn't greedy, this one is on the Bills. Get it done.

TedMock
02-20-2012, 05:03 PM
It's funny how people act like they know what he is asking for and was asking for. These are "sources say" things, but no one really knew.

To be fair, I've seen these sources tell profootballtalk.com, WGR, and Rotoworld. It's not like fly-by-night wannabe's are reporting this. Also, $7.5 is about the going rate. The franchise mark would be somewhere around $9.4 if I'm remembering correctly. It's not that Johnson is greedy, but he's not going to give a "hometown discount" either. He may work something friendly out at $6-7 per year, but guaranteed is going to be the key. The Bills have to decide whether he's worth the going rate. Also, if New England, or another superbowl ready team offers the same, he would be insane not to consider it.. I do think that at the end of the day he will stay in Buffalo if they offer the going rate. It all depends on if they feel he's worth it.

YardRat
02-20-2012, 05:33 PM

You don't know that either.

Ickybaluky
02-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Aaron Wilson basically reporting the same thing (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1160306&nid=5860621&fhn=1):

The Buffalo Bills are no closer to signing veteran free agent wide receiver Stevie Johnson at this time, according to league sources with knowledge of the situation.

Sources confirm a significant difference of opinion on how Johnson should be compensated as the two sides have exchanged contract proposals.

However, negotiations are expected to continue this week at the NFL scouting combine.

The Bills aren't inclined to use the franchise tag at this time to prevent Johnson from heading to free agency, per a source.

Contrary to speculation, Johnson isn't seeking to be paid $9 million annually.

YardRat
02-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Sources confirm a significant difference of opinion on how Johnson should be compensated

That's an interesting choice of words. 'How' not 'how much'.

The Jokeman
02-20-2012, 07:15 PM
If the Pats let Welker walk because they didn't want to pay him, there's no way they're giving SJ what he wants.

As for their cap room, they have 20 FA's, and 17 are UFA's. If they spend a lot on retaining Welker, that's fewer decent players they'll be able to add/retain. And unlike the Bills, they have high standards to maintain, given the prices they charge for tickets.
Welker's a team guy and he's Brady's favorite target. They'll cut Chad Johnson and give the money he was set to earn to Welker. They'll let Deion Branch walk as an UFA and replace him with Brandon Lloyd who's done exception well with Josh McDaniels' offenses in Denver and St Lous respectively. Making the Bills need for a starting capable CB even more of a need.

I told my friend, if the Bills let Stevie walk I'm seriously thinking about thinking about my fandom of this team. As it makes no logical sense to let a guy entering his prime that coming off back to back 1000 yard seasons walk. Yes Vincent Jackson might be a better player but he's also four years older and doesn't have a proven chemistry with Fitz that Stevie does and there's no guaranteeing we can sign him and even we do we still have questions at WR2.

DraftBoy
02-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Sources confirm a significant difference of opinion on how Johnson should be compensated

That's an interesting choice of words. 'How' not 'how much'.

Wonder if the Calvin Johnson incident has the agent thinking one thing and the team another. Him hitting on all of his incentives sure did put the Lions cap situation through the ringer.

BertSquirtgum
02-20-2012, 09:24 PM

I have the Jason Peters feeling all over again. Although I thought Peters was a lazy turd that didn't put forth 100% when on the field and I like Steve. I hope the Bills are not seriously stupid enough to let him walk. If they do, it will just cement the fact that Buddy Nix is a lying sack and has no plan in retaining good players who came up in their system.