• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloBlitz83
    We play to win the game!
    • Oct 2009

Honest Question if you were an NFL Player

Would you sign with Buffalo if they offered you only a million more than best offer or matched an offer from playoff teams or teams that usually make the playoffs. So basically barring Buffalo Overpaying would you want to sign here based on location, past 12 years of losing, and the Management. Be honest
    Last edited by BuffaloBlitz83; 02-19-2012, 09:18 PM.
  • NOT THE DUDE...
    Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
    • Jan 2010

Re: Honest Question if you were an NFL Player

probably not if they just matched... but if they offered more money, i would... money talks

Comment

• BLeonard
      BoB Sabermetrician
      • Jan 2003

Well, honestly, it would depend on what point of my career I was in and how it had went so far...

Am I playing or the Bills now? Or, am I a FA with the Bills bidding for my services?

Is this my first shot at a "big payday," or am I an aging vet?

How many playoff games have I been in/won? Super Bowls?

If I'm at the point where this is going to be my "big payday," I likely take the higest offer and, in the event of even offers, the team that looks more stable to me (meaning, has the best chance to win).

If I'm an aging vet, I'm probably looking more for the chance to win a Championship than I am about money. Because if I were an NFL player, I certainly would have saved enough money to live comfortably on throughout my career.

Lot goes into "my decision," so I'll try to make a TL/DR answer:

If I 'm playing for the Bills, and the money is even (or better) from the Bills and this is my "big payday," I re-sign with them. Main reason being the fact that I would be living in Buffalo if I played for the team. Taking less money on my "big payday" and also having to move my family, etc probably isn't the best move for me.

Any other scenario, I probably leave.

If another team is offering me more cash on my "big payday" why would I not take that? Add that to the fact that, regardless of which team that would be, they don't have a playoff drought as long as the Bills have, so the team I would be going to would have won more recently as well/.

If I'm an aging vet, again, I'm in it for the ring at that point... Given the Bills' track record over the past decade, I doubt I even take their call.

Hope all that makes sense.

-Bill
      Last edited by BLeonard; 02-19-2012, 09:48 PM.

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
        • Jan 2010

No. I wouldn't

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

if i was a player, regardless, i want to know what hte team's commitment to winning is. and frankly, the bills show little to no desire to win. everyone sees that.

letting stevie walk will show that signal again. It's pathetic how this team is run.

they need to get a lot of pieces together and keep the successful ones. there was zero reason to rush a fitz contract at the time. there is never a point that you need to sign someone mid season. you do that at the beginning. and they had a chance with stevie last year. they said no. then they do a deal mid season with fitz and he goes into the tank.

it's just tiriing watching the same crew make the same mistakes. and you know they aren't even going after any of the better names. if you were one good player and saw all the other signees be the long snapper, would you want to go to a team that needs a lot of help and let working pieces walk? I wouldn't.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
            • May 2009

One million dollars is a ton of money but I would come back with 1.5 million just because they are the Bills and they suck.

Comment

• sqad5
              • Dec 2004

Money
              >

Comment

• Cali512
                • Jan 2012

Buffalos my favorite team, so if buffalo wanted me at all id do it
                Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Historian
                  2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                  • Dec 2002

Some of the players have told me in the past that they love the fact that their money goes a lot further in Buffalo, than in places like California, Texas, or NYC.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                    • May 2003

I would never sign with Buffalo. They are the worst organization in the NFL and appear to not have any hope for the future.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Historian
                      Some of the players have told me in the past that they love the fact that their money goes a lot further in Buffalo, than in places like California, Texas, or NYC.
                      Texas has no state income tax, though. I think the high rate in NY is almost 9%.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Well, Nick Barnett said the Packers looked down on Buffalo as a place to play, but when he visited, he fell in love with Buffalo & the Bills & wanted to sign with the Bills. Merriman said something similar.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                          Making Spirits Bright
                          • Mar 2006

The big question would be whether or not Merriman was trying to recruit me.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

I like to think I'm pretty loyal, almost to a fault, but...if I think the team is moving in the right direction and I'm looking at my second contract I might stay. If not, or if I'm a vet on a third contract I may take a little less for a shot at a ring.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

$1,000,000.00 is a lot of money in my eyes but in the eyes of an NFL player it's not as much. So no I'd play elsewhere if my intent is to win a Super Bowl Championship ring before my career is over. As if I'm wise with my money and invest well than I can easily make up that million elsewhere. Whether investing in real estate or in another venture etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X