PDA

View Full Version : Honest Question if you were an NFL Player

BuffaloBlitz83
02-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Would you sign with Buffalo if they offered you only a million more than best offer or matched an offer from playoff teams or teams that usually make the playoffs. So basically barring Buffalo Overpaying would you want to sign here based on location, past 12 years of losing, and the Management. Be honest

NOT THE DUDE...
02-19-2012, 09:23 PM
probably not if they just matched... but if they offered more money, i would... money talks

BLeonard
02-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Well, honestly, it would depend on what point of my career I was in and how it had went so far...

Am I playing or the Bills now? Or, am I a FA with the Bills bidding for my services?

Is this my first shot at a "big payday," or am I an aging vet?

How many playoff games have I been in/won? Super Bowls?

If I'm at the point where this is going to be my "big payday," I likely take the higest offer and, in the event of even offers, the team that looks more stable to me (meaning, has the best chance to win).

If I'm an aging vet, I'm probably looking more for the chance to win a Championship than I am about money. Because if I were an NFL player, I certainly would have saved enough money to live comfortably on throughout my career.

Lot goes into "my decision," so I'll try to make a TL/DR answer:

If I 'm playing for the Bills, and the money is even (or better) from the Bills and this is my "big payday," I re-sign with them. Main reason being the fact that I would be living in Buffalo if I played for the team. Taking less money on my "big payday" and also having to move my family, etc probably isn't the best move for me.

Any other scenario, I probably leave.

If another team is offering me more cash on my "big payday" why would I not take that? Add that to the fact that, regardless of which team that would be, they don't have a playoff drought as long as the Bills have, so the team I would be going to would have won more recently as well/.

If I'm an aging vet, again, I'm in it for the ring at that point... Given the Bills' track record over the past decade, I doubt I even take their call.

Hope all that makes sense.

-Bill

mrbojanglezs
02-19-2012, 10:15 PM
No. I wouldn't

trapezeus
02-19-2012, 10:29 PM
if i was a player, regardless, i want to know what hte team's commitment to winning is. and frankly, the bills show little to no desire to win. everyone sees that.

letting stevie walk will show that signal again. It's pathetic how this team is run.

they need to get a lot of pieces together and keep the successful ones. there was zero reason to rush a fitz contract at the time. there is never a point that you need to sign someone mid season. you do that at the beginning. and they had a chance with stevie last year. they said no. then they do a deal mid season with fitz and he goes into the tank.

it's just tiriing watching the same crew make the same mistakes. and you know they aren't even going after any of the better names. if you were one good player and saw all the other signees be the long snapper, would you want to go to a team that needs a lot of help and let working pieces walk? I wouldn't.

BertSquirtgum
02-19-2012, 10:45 PM
One million dollars is a ton of money but I would come back with 1.5 million just because they are the Bills and they suck.

sqad5
02-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Money

Cali512
02-20-2012, 01:37 AM
Buffalos my favorite team, so if buffalo wanted me at all id do it

Historian
02-20-2012, 05:46 AM
Some of the players have told me in the past that they love the fact that their money goes a lot further in Buffalo, than in places like California, Texas, or NYC.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-20-2012, 05:55 AM
I would never sign with Buffalo. They are the worst organization in the NFL and appear to not have any hope for the future.

Ickybaluky
02-20-2012, 06:07 AM
Some of the players have told me in the past that they love the fact that their money goes a lot further in Buffalo, than in places like California, Texas, or NYC.

Texas has no state income tax, though. I think the high rate in NY is almost 9%.

better days
02-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Well, Nick Barnett said the Packers looked down on Buffalo as a place to play, but when he visited, he fell in love with Buffalo & the Bills & wanted to sign with the Bills. Merriman said something similar.

Joe Fo Sho
02-20-2012, 08:17 AM
The big question would be whether or not Merriman was trying to recruit me.

YardRat
02-20-2012, 07:13 PM
I like to think I'm pretty loyal, almost to a fault, but...if I think the team is moving in the right direction and I'm looking at my second contract I might stay. If not, or if I'm a vet on a third contract I may take a little less for a shot at a ring.

The Jokeman
02-20-2012, 07:27 PM
$1,000,000.00 is a lot of money in my eyes but in the eyes of an NFL player it's not as much. So no I'd play elsewhere if my intent is to win a Super Bowl Championship ring before my career is over. As if I'm wise with my money and invest well than I can easily make up that million elsewhere. Whether investing in real estate or in another venture etc.

Crisis
02-20-2012, 07:42 PM
I live in Texas now and my money goes a LOT further here than it did in WNY.

PromoTheRobot
02-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Your question assumes all NFL players are the same. Some look for the best nightlife. Some want the best place to raise a family. Buffalo loses the guys looking for hot tub parties at rapper cribs. The guys looking for a good place for their kids might consider the Bills.

PTR

Extremebillsfan247
02-21-2012, 12:02 AM
Would you sign with Buffalo if they offered you only a million more than best offer or matched an offer from playoff teams or teams that usually make the playoffs. So basically barring Buffalo Overpaying would you want to sign here based on location, past 12 years of losing, and the Management. Be honest I couldn't answer that honestly because I am a Bills fan. I would be biased and say yes regardless of how bad the situation here could be. I'm not an NFL player, so I couldn't even pretend to know what being a free agent is even like. JMO

TMu11
02-21-2012, 06:05 AM
It would depend on what position I played as well.

If i were a WR for example, I'd take a cheaper gig with NO, or GB where I could possibly load up on bonuses in my contract, than try to turn around a team proven to losing for an extra mil.

Not to mention, endorsement deals, etc. will be much more abundant on a winning team.

Sorry Buffalo, I'll pass

DraftBoy
02-21-2012, 07:11 AM
Million isn't that much money for starters, and if I have a chance to play with a young and up and coming team like Atlanta, Detroit, or even Cincinatti for the same or even slightly less, why would I not go there?

ddaryl
02-21-2012, 07:15 AM
I would because I bleed Buffalo Blue.

Hell I would do it at the same money, but my heart is definitely attached to the city of buffalo and her sports teams.

if I had no affiliation with the city then I would probably go with the playoff team.

However this is the reason why we will be building through the draft for awhile. Until we become a playoff caliber team no top FA's are gonna give us much of a shot.

DesertFox24
02-21-2012, 07:25 AM
If I was a free agent and this is my first free agency I would look a couple of things.

1. Money
2. Team depth chart
3. Front office stability and coach stability

After those three criteria I would then set up meetings visits with teams that my criteria and then ask them pointed questions.

In the case of buffalo I would ask about spending money, what is their plan, do they keep their good players, are they going after some big names.

I would then have to make a decision on their word and decide on who to sign with.

I know the texas teams and florida teams try to play up that no state income tax crap but that is not that big of deal to me.

Personally I would not play florida because it is to damn hot, and I lived their for 9 years and currently live in South Carolina. I dislike the humidity and heat so much I am taking a job in Nevada but that is just me.

In other words if I thought the bills were on the right track then I would sign

Albany,n.y.
02-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Would you sign with Buffalo if they offered you only a million more than best offer or matched an offer from playoff teams or teams that usually make the playoffs. So basically barring Buffalo Overpaying would you want to sign here based on location, past 12 years of losing, and the Management. Be honest
If I was an average player who thought I could maximize my talent in Buffalo I would sign with the Bills. In other words, if the Bills give me the best chance of starting, where other teams would view me strictly as a reserve, I'd sign with Buffalo.

If I was an established starter or a Pro-Bowler, unless I was a QB who thought I could turn the team around-No way.

The only other reason to sign with the Bills would be if I was from WNY & wanted to go home. That brings us to Stevie Johnson: He's from San Francisco. If he has a chance to sign with the 49ers, he's as good as gone.

Mr. Pink
02-22-2012, 06:56 PM
I'd take less money to play somewhere else that had a legitimate chance at winning and had an owner who was committed to actually winning.