PDA

View Full Version : Burflict?

Cali512
02-20-2012, 01:26 AM
Wheres he projected? Is there a chance hell drop out the first? And where would he play on our team?

Cali512
02-20-2012, 01:27 AM
I remember watching his video. Hes psycho

Raptor
02-20-2012, 04:57 AM
i don't think there is actually any chance he goes in the first and could be there in the third

DraftBoy
02-20-2012, 07:01 AM
34 OLB for me, I don't think he can play the middle with how out of control he is. Put him in a 34 and let him rush the passer and enjoy the results.

Cali512
02-20-2012, 05:35 PM
I would love him, and after the season he was projected top 15

YardRat
02-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Third round...I actually think with a little bit of work he could be a helluva 2 down MLB.

Cali512
02-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Could he possibly be a 4-3 OLB?

Cali512
02-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Third round...I actually think with a little bit of work he could be a helluva 2 down MLB.

He looks incredible. Blows up plays, big hits, so aggressive. Hes going to be good in the nfl if they just let him play. Tone the intensity down a tad bit, punish him majorly for flags, but damn.

TedMock
02-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Could he possibly be a 4-3 OLB?

Not disciplined enough. Big gamble if they went that route.

TedMock
02-20-2012, 08:50 PM
I think Burfict is the most overrated player in the draft. He is very good at one thing and a liability in several areas. Great talent, but it's just not all together. I actually think he's a second rounder.

Cali512
02-20-2012, 10:00 PM
I think Burfict is the most overrated player in the draft. He is very good at one thing and a liability in several areas. Great talent, but it's just not all together. I actually think he's a second rounder.

Fast, strong, good instincts, attacks, big hitter, strong tackler, and very aggressive. The big bad so far seems to be just diciplin

JCBills
02-21-2012, 12:02 AM
Not a fan of Burfict for where this team is right now.

They need true OLBs to make Wanny's scheme work. Guys like Zach Brown, Nigel Bradham, and Lavonte David should be there in the 2nd to 3rd round to fill some much needed spots.

The team needs a starting SAM and depth at both SAM and WILL spots. I think they have Barnett set to start on the weak side, and we know Shep is in the middle.

Brown might be able to play either spot, but I think he's a better fit on the weak side. He's freakishly athletic and very, very fast for his size. Could be a 3 down LB from day 1.

Bradham looks like what you want on the strong side in Wanny's type of Cover 2. He's solid in coverage and hits as hard as anyone in college football. He's always around the ball, and could improve his stock with a solid combine. He looked good at the Senior Bowl.

Lavonte David is your ideal cover backer. Not much of a fit on the strong side, but could be a playmaker in the NFL at the WILL spot. Another guy who is always around the ball, it will be interesting to see how he weighs in at the combine. He should time well.

DraftBoy
02-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Fast, strong, good instincts, attacks, big hitter, strong tackler, and very aggressive. The big bad so far seems to be just diciplin

Also doesn't play within scheme, has no back side discipline, doesn't understand how to play his running lane, is easily fooled by misidrection, and doesn't get off blocks very well.

Fast and athletic yes, but he's gotta play smarter.

k-oneputt
02-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Burfict will get drafted by Baltimore, will play next to and learn from Ray Lewis, Lewis will retire soon and Burfict will take over and be in the Pro Bowl for the next 5-6 years.

Buddo
02-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Q. Speaking of Vontaze Burfict, do you see any way, given the liabilities that come with him, he gets taken in the first round and in that, assess maybe how badly he hurt himself with his final year at Arizona State?

MIKE MAYOCK: I think some of the attention throughout the media with all the penalties and all those issues, I think they're a little bit too much. I just watched a bunch of his tape the other day, and I said forget the penalties and all is that stuff that surrounds him. What kind of football player is he? And I came away unimpressed. From my perspective, if he gets a chance at a blow-up hit where he can just knock somebody into the next century, he's going to take it and it's going to look really good. That's where he's impressive. When he sees something and comes downhill and blows it up, it's really good. However, the other major percentage of the time is his instincts aren't good. He gets enveloped by big bodies. He runs around end blocks. For a big, strong guy, he's nowhere near as good at the point of attack as I thought he would be. So that's even before you factor in all the other elements. So from my perspective, I don't see first round at all.

The above is from a conference call with Mike Mayock.
TBH, seems like the OP has fallen for the part that looks good, and ignored the bits that don't.
I've seen the comment about running around end blocks before btw, although it might have been in reference to Mayock then as well.
Note also, that while there's most definitely a place for aggression in the NFL, it has to be controlled aggression, otherwise you just end up hurting your team with it, either through penalties, or through missing assignments.

Buffalogic
02-21-2012, 12:41 PM
He's disgustingly overrated and I would hate if the bills drafted him. I live in asu country and everyone slobbers him on the regular but he's just not that good...Far better options out there for the bills

TedMock
02-21-2012, 12:46 PM

Discipline is a big problem. I also disagree that he has good instincts. I do not think he's very instinctive at all at this point.

Cali512
02-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Discipline is a big problem. I also disagree that he has good instincts. I do not think he's very instinctive at all at this point.

Watching his good/bad. Its sorda like Barnett. Either hell read it well and make a monster hit and blow up a play, or he will read it totally wrong and look stupid

JCBills
02-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Watching his good/bad. Its sorda like Barnett. Either hell read it well and make a monster hit and blow up a play, or he will read it totally wrong and look stupid

....not really though. Barnett is usually sound in his reads.

Burfict does not.

Raptor
02-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Fast, strong, good instincts, attacks, big hitter, strong tackler, very aggressive, And gives up A LOT of big plays because he's not where he is supposed to be. The big bad so far seems to be just diciplin

fixed

Cali512
02-22-2012, 03:35 PM
But seriously guys? His issue is he doesnt do his assignments. Not bc hes small, weak, a bad tackler, un aggressive. If he can focus on his assignments, hell be a beast. If its as easy as being like, Burflict stay here, and when the ball is snapped go there, id take it.

JCBills
02-22-2012, 05:13 PM
But seriously guys? His issue is he doesnt do his assignments. Not bc hes small, weak, a bad tackler, un aggressive. If he can focus on his assignments, hell be a beast. If its as easy as being like, Burflict stay here, and when the ball is snapped go there, id take it.

Yes, seriously.

If you don't do what you're supposed to, what use is that?

It isn't that easy, if it was, why wouldn't he have been playing that way the whole time?

This is why guys that aren't necessarily the best athletes can still excel at MLB/ILB spots. If they have great instincts and can get to where they need to be, they're going to make plays.

A guy could time in the 4.7 range and still be considered a sideline to sideline defender if he takes good angles and makes good reads.

Big hits aren't everything. I'd much rather take a guy who gets where he is supposed to be, when he is supposed to be, and makes regular tackles over guy who is out of position constantly and lays the wood. That's an easy choice.

You want a guy who can do both?

Nigel Bradham. Fast, good size, solid coverage, solid reads, big hitter.

http://warchant.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v13/p615264569-3.jpg

CLEAN big hitter too. He got ejected for a clean hit. Doesn't get fooled a lot like Burfict does, and has good recovery speed when he does.

TigerJ
02-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Discipline is important for every position on the defense, but the middle linebacker typically makes the defensive call on the field, so more than any otherplayer, his head has to be in the game. The Bills picked Kelvin Sheppard as the first inside/middle linebacker chosen in the draft despit the fact that there was at least one available who was a considerably better athlete. Sheppard won out because of intelligence and instinct. Buffalo would never draft Burfict to play middle linebacker. Where could Burfict play if Buffalo drafted him? They won't, but if they did, he might play strong side linebacker, but more likely he'd end up as a situational pass rusher in obvious passing downs where his lack of discipline would not be as much of a liability.

Cali512
02-24-2012, 12:52 AM
Discipline is important for every position on the defense, but the middle linebacker typically makes the defensive call on the field, so more than any otherplayer, his head has to be in the game. The Bills picked Kelvin Sheppard as the first inside/middle linebacker chosen in the draft despit the fact that there was at least one available who was a considerably better athlete. Sheppard won out because of intelligence and instinct. Buffalo would never draft Burfict to play middle linebacker. Where could Burfict play if Buffalo drafted him? They won't, but if they did, he might play strong side linebacker, but more likely he'd end up as a situational pass rusher in obvious passing downs where his lack of discipline would not be as much of a liability.

I think this all can come with teaching and things. Its like he has the it factor, but nothing else. Its like having a great voice but not being able to stay on tempo for ****

JCBills
02-24-2012, 08:42 AM
I think this all can come with teaching and things. Its like he has the it factor, but nothing else. Its like having a great voice but not being able to stay on tempo for ****

I think thats backwards.

He has the physical tools, but lacks "it".

"It" equals having it all together mentally.