PDA

View Full Version : Osi Umenyiora is unhappy and wants to be traded.

Stewie
02-20-2012, 09:48 AM
I'd give up this years 3rd and next years 4th for a guy who consistently produces like Osi.

He has 1 year and 4 million left on his deal, he wants to get paid.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/20/osi-umenyiora-wont-be-surprised-if-the-giants-trade-him/

ThunderGun
02-20-2012, 09:55 AM
I think it will take quite a bit more than that to land him.

And I don't think he wants to be traded. In the PFT article, he says he'd "love to stay".

“We’re just going to have to wait and see,” Umenyiora said. “I can see it going either way. I can see where they would keep me, I can see where they would trade me, because it makes sense both ways. So hopefully things will work out in my interest. I know the team is going to do what’s best for them. They’ve always made the right decisions for that organization. Whether that’s keeping me or trading me, I’d love to stay, but at the end of the day I understand it’s a business and hopefully things will work out.”

Pinkerton Security
02-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Osi is the kindof player who has tremendous talent but plays when he wants to play...he turned up his game in the playoffs and near the end of the year but didnt really play well in most of the regular season....imagine how much ambition he'd have when we dont do well again...no thanks.

Johnny Bugmenot
02-20-2012, 09:56 AM
That consistent production would disappear the moment he sets foot on the CheapTurf at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Mahdi
02-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Umenyiora is exactly what the defense needs and what Wanny is looking for. I see the Patriots being BIG players for Umenyiora seeing as how Anderson is FA and Carter had a serious injury in addition to his age.

Belichick loves players who have performed well against him too. Will be hard to compete with the Pats especially since they probably have a bunch of picks and are more desirable.

Stewie
02-20-2012, 10:01 AM
I think it will take quite a bit more than that to land him.

And I don't think he wants to be traded. In the PFT article, he says he'd "love to stay".

“We’re just going to have to wait and see,” Umenyiora said. “I can see it going either way. I can see where they would keep me, I can see where they would trade me, because it makes sense both ways. So hopefully things will work out in my interest. I know the team is going to do what’s best for them. They’ve always made the right decisions for that organization. Whether that’s keeping me or trading me, I’d love to stay, but at the end of the day I understand it’s a business and hopefully things will work out.”

I'm reading between the lines, taking into account his situation. But you're right, officially he states he wants to stay.

Albany,n.y.
02-20-2012, 10:02 AM
I'd give up this years 3rd and next years 4th for a guy who consistently produces like Osi.

He has 1 year and 4 million left on his deal, he wants to get paid.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/20/osi-umenyiora-wont-be-surprised-if-the-giants-trade-him/
The Giants aren't taking a 3rd and 4th for him. The last sentence of the article sums it up-the Giants want him around next year-They're the defending champs & the future is now. Teams like the Bills (ie years away from being a legitimate Super Bowl contender) get a 3rd & a 4th for a star player. Teams that are defending a Super Bowl championship don't make that move because the player, even for 1 more year, is worth more to them than a 3rd this year & a 4th next year-both players who would contribute nothing and virtually nothing to the title defense. When you're the defending champs, the future is now. When you're a last place team, the future is the only hope you have & you finished in last place with the guy you're trading on the last year of his contract, so you have a lot less to lose getting rid of him this year.

Stewie
02-20-2012, 10:06 AM
The Giants aren't taking a 3rd and 4th for him. The last sentence of the article sums it up-the Giants want him around next year-They're the defending champs & the future is now. Teams like the Bills (ie years away from being a legitimate Super Bowl contender) get a 3rd & a 4th for a star player. Teams that are defending a Super Bowl championship don't make that move because the player, even for 1 more year, is worth more to them than a 3rd this year & a 4th next year-both players who would contribute nothing and virtually nothing to the title defense. When you're the defending champs, the future is now. When you're a last place team, the future is the only hope you have & you finished in last place with the guy you're trading on the last year of his contract, so you have a lot less to lose getting rid of him this year.

I think this is a reasonable analysis, but there are a few unique elements in this situation. The Giants are bursting on the D Line. He might be a "star" but he's not the best player on his team at his position. And I wouldn't be shocked to get what they can for Osi, because his attitude hasn't always been the greatest. I could see them spending another high pick on a DL this year, especially if they get extra picks.

When I said before that I was reading betwen the lines, I believe that Osi wants to get paid as much as possible. He clearly says he thinks it will work out for him (read: financially) if he gets traded, so he's cool with whatever happens.

I don't think the Giants will want to give him a premier DE contract, then what is going to happen when it's JPP's turn? And will JPP want to be paid less than his less talented counterpart?

tampabay25690
02-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Osi is the kindof player who has tremendous talent but plays when he wants to play...he turned up his game in the playoffs and near the end of the year but didnt really play well in most of the regular season....imagine how much ambition he'd have when we dont do well again...no thanks.

Thats better then what we get out of are DE guys....
Change of team always motivates players too....

Oaf
02-20-2012, 10:29 AM
How does a guy complain after winning a super bowl and making $4mill a year?

Pinkerton Security
02-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Thats better then what we get out of are DE guys....
Change of team always motivates players too....

maybe...im not saying he wont make us better short term, i just think hes a bit of a headcase and may become a problem if we dont win, which we havent exactly done a lot of in the last, oh idk 15 years.

Ed
02-20-2012, 11:14 AM
No thanks to Osi. I don't want to see the Bills spend big money and give up draft picks for a guy that already has two superbowl rings and is just looking to cash in on a big payday.

Albany,n.y.
02-20-2012, 01:30 PM
I think this is a reasonable analysis, but there are a few unique elements in this situation. The Giants are bursting on the D Line. He might be a "star" but he's not the best player on his team at his position. And I wouldn't be shocked to get what they can for Osi, because his attitude hasn't always been the greatest. I could see them spending another high pick on a DL this year, especially if they get extra picks.

When I said before that I was reading betwen the lines, I believe that Osi wants to get paid as much as possible. He clearly says he thinks it will work out for him (read: financially) if he gets traded, so he's cool with whatever happens.

I don't think the Giants will want to give him a premier DE contract, then what is going to happen when it's JPP's turn? And will JPP want to be paid less than his less talented counterpart?
I don't think the Giants will pay him either. I just think it will take a pretty high choice or a player the Giants want for them to weaken themselves for next season. The best example I can come up with was when Michael Turner was on the last year of his contract with SD. The Chargers were demanding a 1st rounder & when they didn't get it, kept him 1 year & lost him for nothing to Atlanta. It was all because they didn't want to weaken their depth because they thought of themselves as SB contenders. On the other side was the Bills & McGahee, who they traded for two 3rds and a 7th.

DraftBoy
02-20-2012, 01:43 PM
I would expect the Falcons to look very hard at this potential deal. Not sure I want Buffalo in on it.

clumping platelets
02-20-2012, 10:58 PM
I'd at least give the Giants a call.

Maybe have someone like Barnett gauge his interest

You can't just "throw your hands in the air" and not even try

Night Train
02-21-2012, 04:39 AM

We wouldn't want to disrespect Kelsay. It's been a whole year since his 7th extension. [/sarcasm]

Jan Reimers
02-21-2012, 05:11 AM
For me, this thread conjures up the thought, "When pigs fly over a frozen Hell."

trapezeus
02-21-2012, 10:33 AM
i'd be willing to trade roy and stafford for osi.

DraftBoy
02-21-2012, 11:20 AM

You going to pay the cost to trade for him? I highly doubt the Giants release him.

HopefulBillsFan
02-21-2012, 12:45 PM
assuming we give him a new contract lets assume 4 years 35 mil.. i would value the acquisition at a 4th round pick

Pinkerton Security
02-21-2012, 12:56 PM
You going to pay the cost to trade for him? I highly doubt the Giants release him.

its possible...they need to cut some serious fat, i think they are like 11 mill over the cap as of right now. if they cant work out a trade, its very possible he gets cut...sadly, that might be the only way we get someone like him. I am still not a huge fan, but hes talented enough that I cant dismiss it.

better days
02-21-2012, 12:57 PM

I saw on NFL Network that Buffalo was mentioned as a possible trading partner for him. He has one year left on his contract, the same as Fred Jackson. I would be happy with a trade of Fred for Osi & the Giants could use an RB like Fred.

Cali512
02-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Id do a 3rd and 4th. Stroud got here on a 3rd and 5th. Then id still use the 1st round on a DE. Osi, Dareus, Williams, Upshaw/Jones/Ingram :P

DraftBoy
02-21-2012, 02:22 PM
I saw on NFL Network that Buffalo was mentioned as a possible trading partner for him. He has one year left on his contract, the same as Fred Jackson. I would be happy with a trade of Fred for Osi & the Giants could use an RB like Fred.

For what? They already have three RB's.

better days
02-21-2012, 04:44 PM

I will bet you the Giants add a RB this off season.

Ickybaluky
02-21-2012, 08:52 PM

Brandon Jacobs is currently a free agent.

DraftBoy
02-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Brandon Jacobs is currently a free agent.

And has stated he wishes to return.

Whether they take him or not is a different question.

DraftBoy
02-21-2012, 09:03 PM
I will bet you the Giants add a RB this off season.

What does that prove? They'll likely add two or three more for camp.

Stewie
02-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Everyone and their mother knows Fred Jackson is a better running back than Brandon Jacobs. On any down and distance, I'll take Fred every single time.

Bert102176
02-22-2012, 07:01 AM
Osi is an idiot, with that great line of theirs he plays half the time, still gets starter money, and still ends up getting hurt and missing games, no thanks

DraftBoy
02-22-2012, 07:12 AM
its possible...they need to cut some serious fat, i think they are like 11 mill over the cap as of right now. if they cant work out a trade, its very possible he gets cut...sadly, that might be the only way we get someone like him. I am still not a huge fan, but hes talented enough that I cant dismiss it.

Agreed, but I don't want to trade any picks for a guy who has 2-3 good season left, maybe 4 serviceable ones.

better days
02-22-2012, 07:23 AM
What does that prove? They'll likely add two or three more for camp.

I'm not talking about camp bodies. I'm saying when the season starts, the Giants will have a new RB on their roster & playing. I think a Fred for Osi trade would be very feasible..........not that it would happen, but it is the type of trade that would benefit both teams.

DraftBoy
02-22-2012, 07:30 AM
I'm not talking about camp bodies. I'm saying when the season starts, the Giants will have a new RB on their roster & playing. I think a Fred for Osi trade would be very feasible..........not that it would happen, but it is the type of trade that would benefit both teams.

For us yes, but how does that help the Giants who have a very good RB in Bradshaw, can resign Jacobs who wants to return, and don't need a 31 year old RB who wants a new big deal?

It doesn't make sense for the Giants, what need do they have from Jackson when they know he wants a new deal and he's only got a few years left?

better days
02-22-2012, 07:38 AM
For us yes, but how does that help the Giants who have a very good RB in Bradshaw, can resign Jacobs who wants to return, and don't need a 31 year old RB who wants a new big deal?

It doesn't make sense for the Giants, what need do they have from Jackson when they know he wants a new deal and he's only got a few years left?

Fred is a BETTER RB than ANY they have on their roster & like Fred, Osi only has a few years left & wants a new contract as well. Like I said, that trade would benefit both teams.

Ickybaluky
02-22-2012, 07:53 AM

Jackson is a very good back, though. He is a all-purpose guy in the mold of a Matt Forte and would be a great fit in that Giants offense. I could see the Giants being intrigued.

Also, Bradshaw has battled foot problems for 2 years now and it has limited his practice time and caused him to miss games. He only ran for 3.9 YPC last year.

That said, the one caveat is there is a premium on pass-rushers. It is such a hard thing to find that teams don't like to deal them, if they do there is usually a premium paid (same said for LT, who are the guys that need to block them). RB, on the other hand, tend to hold less value because they are more likely to be injured and easier to replace. If the Giants end up trading Osi, they are going to want more value than he is probably worth because he is a hard commodity to find.

mysticsoto
02-22-2012, 08:13 AM
Fred is a BETTER RB than ANY they have on their roster & like Fred, Osi only has a few years left & wants a new contract as well. Like I said, that trade would benefit both teams.

Fred is probably a better RB than what the Giants have, but what the Giants have has been very serviceable - so that trade would not benefit the Giants as much as you are making it sound. This is a little too one-sided, with the Bills benefiting more.

better days
02-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Fred is probably a better RB than what the Giants have, but what the Giants have has been very serviceable - so that trade would not benefit the Giants as much as you are making it sound. This is a little too one-sided, with the Bills benefiting more.

Well, the Giants RBs are serviceable in the same respect Kelsey is serviceable.

mysticsoto
02-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Well, the Giants RBs are serviceable in the same respect Kelsey is serviceable.

NO! That is not even close!!! The Giants RBs produce. There have been games where they have been outstanding. And Coughlin seems to like the committee approach having different RBs tailored for different defenses he comes up against.

It all comes down to FJ not upgrading them as much as losing Osi would downgrade them (even with an already superb Dline and depth).

I think you are looking at this through Bills tinted glasses. If I'm on the Giants FO, and I see this trade offer, I say, "Hell no!" - and I'm a big fan of FJ!!!

better days
02-22-2012, 08:50 AM
NO! That is not even close!!! The Giants RBs produce. There have been games where they have been outstanding. And Coughlin seems to like the committee approach having different RBs tailored for different defenses he comes up against.

It all comes down to FJ not upgrading them as much as losing Osi would downgrade them (even with an already superb Dline and depth).

I think you are looking at this through Bills tinted glasses. If I'm on the Giants FO, and I see this trade offer, I say, "Hell no!" - and I'm a big fan of FJ!!!

Well, 3.9 yds per carry sound like Kelsey numbers at the RB position. If Jacobs wants to come back he will have to take a huge pay cut.

mysticsoto
02-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Injuries hurt the Giants RBs this year. But let's not also forget that they signed Bradshaw to a 4 yr $18 million dollar contract early last year. He's intended to be their main back with everyone else being complementary.

DraftBoy
02-22-2012, 10:17 AM

Who cares? They don't have a true need at RB, just like we didn't when we took CJ.

You don't trade Osi to a team with a severe need at 43 DE for a RB you don't really need.

This is not Madden, the Giants will look to fill a starting role not a position with Jackson will split carries with Bradshaw or Bradshaw and a 3rd back.

DraftBoy
02-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Jackson is a very good back, though. He is a all-purpose guy in the mold of a Matt Forte and would be a great fit in that Giants offense. I could see the Giants being intrigued.

Also, Bradshaw has battled foot problems for 2 years now and it has limited his practice time and caused him to miss games. He only ran for 3.9 YPC last year.

That said, the one caveat is there is a premium on pass-rushers. It is such a hard thing to find that teams don't like to deal them, if they do there is usually a premium paid (same said for LT, who are the guys that need to block them). RB, on the other hand, tend to hold less value because they are more likely to be injured and easier to replace. If the Giants end up trading Osi, they are going to want more value than he is probably worth because he is a hard commodity to find.

That plus you know Buffalo has to find a 43 DE, you don't necessairly need Fred as a RB with Bradshaw, potentially Jacobs, and an over saturated RB market already.

better days
02-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Who cares? They don't have a true need at RB, just like we didn't when we took CJ.

You don't trade Osi to a team with a severe need at 43 DE for a RB you don't really need.

This is not Madden, the Giants will look to fill a starting role not a position with Jackson will split carries with Bradshaw or Bradshaw and a 3rd back.

I said that trade would not happen, but I still think it would benefit both teams if it did. You are MISTAKEN if you don't think the Giants have a true need at RB.

Stewie
02-22-2012, 10:54 AM

if they were all equally talented, it wouldn't make sense the way you've described it.

However, FJ and Bradshaw >>>>> Bradshaw and Jacobs. It's not even close. FJ is an elite runner. With a good defense and a competent QB, FJ could easily eclipse 2000 rushing/receiving yards next season, especially as an every down back. I couldn't see Bradshaw or Jacobs (LOL) doing the same.

Stewie
02-22-2012, 10:57 AM

He only likes the committe approach because he hasn't had a 3 down running back since Tiki. When Barber was around, he stayed on the field and put up good numbers.

Mr. Pink
02-22-2012, 06:59 PM
There was talk he wanted out last year too.

He ain't going nowhere.

cgbm
02-22-2012, 08:24 PM
OSI just said at the knicks game that he wants to stay in the giants org.

he isnt moving. although....

they have 4 top tier de's and i dont see them keeping them all.

we need to pounce