• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

NFL in Toronto a "Dead Issue"

Interesting article: http://www.thestar.com/sports/articl...rs-centre?bn=1

Mainly focuses on the Rogers Centre putting in grass for the Blue Jays, byt mentions the Bills/Toronto Series

The Jays, owned by Rogers, have no interest in seeing the Argonauts hammered, but their priority is their own fans and 81 games, as opposed to a 10- or 12-game tenant paying relatively small rent.

What would a grass Rogers Centre mean to the NFL in Toronto?

Nothing, because it’s a dead issue.

Rogers wildly overpaid for five years of Bills games (with the last in 2012) and isn’t interested in renewing at the original price. The NFL still has no interest in Toronto getting a team of its own and hasn’t for decades.
    -Bill
  • Crisis
    • Aug 2004

Re: NFL in Toronto a "Dead Issue"

The only person who made out on this was Ralph.

He got a ton of money out of it, Bills fans all hate it, Toronto fans don't really care, the players hate it, the NFL doesn't care, and the fact that Rogers isn't renewing at the original price makes it a failure for them, too.
    Originally posted by LOSman WINS
    Vanek is Austrian not European
    Originally posted by Prov401
    Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
    Originally posted by better days
    I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• Meathead
      Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
      • Jul 2002

i dont hate it. i realize it contributes to the slim chance we have to keep the team in wny. i support it and if it takes more games there to keep the team here im for it
      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
        • May 2009

Maybe we can have somebody make a thread describing how they feel the Bills are moving to Toronto. I've been saying it since the deal was first signed, it ain't happening. If they move, it sure as hell won't be to Toronto. I feel they aren't going to be moving anywhere. This team is very well entrenched in this community and the western half of the state.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
          • May 2009

There is even a surprising amount of Bills fans in the North Country aka in the Adirondacks.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts
            Maybe we can have somebody make a thread describing how they feel the Bills are moving to Toronto. I've been saying it since the deal was first signed, it ain't happening. If they move, it sure as hell won't be to Toronto. I feel they aren't going to be moving anywhere. This team is very well entrenched in this community and the western half of the state.
            this means absolutely nothing.

Ralph isn't going to be around much longer. When he's dead, there will be a new owner, and the future of the team will depend on where the new owner and the NFL think they can make the most money. It may or may not be Buffalo.

And that's the only thing that matters. Good intentions from Jim Kelly and stump speeches from Andrew Cuomo and Chuck Schumer and being "entrenched in the community" don't mean dick when the NFL's bottom line is at stake.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Also, I think Toronto fans would be much more supportive if they had their own NFL team rather than a one-game "rent-a-team."

Would that translate to enough support to make it worth the NFL's while to put a team there? I don't know, but I know it would be more than what they got for the Bills in Toronto series.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• dannyek71
                Drink Responsibly
                • Dec 2004

Hurkey, I want you to post more just so I can look at your avatar.
                [

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                  Will not tolerate vandalism.
                  • Apr 2006

This is an opinion article, and you know the saying about opinions and, er, backsides... everyone's got one, and they usually stink. He knows nothing more about this issue than anyone else, and his curmudgeonly demeanor makes me think he's the type that will find anything to complain about. It makes good copy, or so newspaper honchos think.

Besides, we all know LA's first in line. If LA gets a team other than the Bills first... then Toronto will come into play.

Comment

• CleveSteve
                    • Apr 2011

Ralph isn't going to be around much longer. When he's dead, there will be a new owner, and the future of the team will depend on where the new owner and the NFL think they can make the most money. It may or may not be Buffalo.
                    I understand the desire to steel yourself for that possibility, as I know what it's like to have your team pulled away (believe me, it sucks) but I wouldn't say this is necessarily the case. The new owner of the Jags has said he wants to keep the team in Jacksonville, which is the worst market selection in the history of the NFL.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      Ralph isn't going to be around much longer. When he's dead, there will be a new owner, and the future of the team will depend on where the new owner and the NFL think they can make the most money. It may or may not be Buffalo. .
                      That's your opinion. I don't believe it.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts
                        That's your opinion. I don't believe it.
                        lmao. Whatever helps you sleep at night.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Ed
                          • Sep 2002

If LA secures a team or two in the next couple years and Toronto is in fact a dead issue, then there's really no where else for the Bills to move that would be worth it.

So as long as Ralph is alive long enough to see LA get a team and the NFL doesn't think Toronto is a good market then the Bills should be in good shape.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by CleveSteve
                            I understand the desire to steel yourself for that possibility, as I know what it's like to have your team pulled away (believe me, it sucks) but I wouldn't say this is necessarily the case. The new owner of the Jags has said he wants to keep the team in Jacksonville, which is the worst market selection in the history of the NFL.
                            He SAYS he wants to keep the team in Jax, but his ACTIONS speak otherwise. He hires Mularkey to be HC when Mike's offense could not put up a single point against the Giants in his last game there with Ryan at QB.

Does ANYONE think Mularkey will have success in Jax with Gabbert as his QB? I expect Atlanta's Offense with Mularkey gone to be much better next year.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                              • May 2009

Mularkey likes to run and he has the best running back in the NFL down in Jacksonville. I think there is a good possibility he could get enough out of Gabbert to make that offense succeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X