• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Whitner throws Williams under the bus

NFL Total Access on NFLN right now...Basically totally blamed Williams for the championship game loss, said one play cost them the game.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: Whitner throws Williams under the bus

Like they had a chance to beat the Pats.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
      Legendary Zoner
      • May 2009

Donte Whitner is trash.

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

and had they lost to the saints, he wouldn't cite the 2 times that he got toasted on big plays under 5 minutes to play.

Comment

• feldspar
          • Mar 2007

Whitner, while he made that HUGE forced fumble, missed a couple of crucial tackles too...on HUGE plays.

Kyle Williams (WR) probably DID cost them the game on a certain level, but you don't go an SAY that if you are a professional. He fumbled the ball and let it touch his leg another time, accounting for TWO turnovers.

That said, here is a quote from Whitner about Williams: “He made a mistake and fumbled the ball, but that’s one play out of many. He’s a young talented player and hopefully he’ll learn from this and he won’t beat himself up about it too bad. It’s tough when you’re that close to your ultimate goal and you fall short.”

I don't see this as blaming him for the loss or throwing him under the bus. Keep it in context, please. He probably was ASKED a specific question, too, not just offering this up on his own, dunno.

Sound-bites...we have no attention span anymore. The intended message isn't the same as the sound-bite.

Give me the exact quote that says Whitner threw Williams under the bus...it's common knowledge that Williams screwed up royally more than once. I see Whitner being as nice about it as he could.

I know it's in vogue to find ways to slam Whitner, but I don't see it...unless there is some quote out there that I'm unaware of.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by feldspar
            Whitner, while he made that HUGE forced fumble, missed a couple of crucial tackles too...on HUGE plays.

Kyle Williams (WR) probably DID cost them the game on a certain level, but you don't go an SAY that if you are a professional. He fumbled the ball and let it touch his leg another time, accounting for TWO turnovers.

That said, here is a quote from Whitner about Williams: “He made a mistake and fumbled the ball, but that’s one play out of many. He’s a young talented player and hopefully he’ll learn from this and he won’t beat himself up about it too bad. It’s tough when you’re that close to your ultimate goal and you fall short.”

I don't see this as blaming him for the loss or throwing him under the bus. Keep it in context, please. He probably was ASKED a specific question, too, not just offering this up on his own, dunno.

Sound-bites...we have no attention span anymore. The intended message isn't the same as the sound-bite.

Give me the exact quote that says Whitner threw Williams under the bus...it's common knowledge that Williams screwed up royally more than once. I see Whitner being as nice about it as he could.

I know it's in vogue to find ways to slam Whitner, but I don't see it...unless there is some quote out there that I'm unaware of.
            If one pops up I'll try and find it...I was watching it on TV. He also said something to the effect of how hard it was and how long it took him (Whitner) to get over the disappointment of the loss and anger over the turnover before he could approach Williams and say anything to him.

Of course he was prompted by a question, but he made it very clear, more than once, that he felt one play lost the game and that one play was on Williams.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• feldspar
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by YardRat
                If one pops up I'll try and find it...I was watching it on TV. He also said something to the effect of how hard it was and how long it took him (Whitner) to get over the disappointment of the loss and anger over the turnover before he could approach Williams and say anything to him.

Of course he was prompted by a question, but he made it very clear, more than once, that he felt one play lost the game and that one play was on Williams.
                OK, so, if he said that, do you think he's wrong, or just wrong for saying it?

Funny how people complain about players/coaches not being honest...just giving rote, glib responses...yet when they tell the truth, that's bad too. I don't know if YOU do that, but it's common, like people want it both ways.

Here is something I found:

"It was very tough," he said. "When you come into training camp, you set a goal. The goal is to reach the Super Bowl and win that trophy. And you're one, you know, a few plays away from making it to your ultimate goal. It's tough when you come up short and you feel like, you know, it was a routine play. It's a routine play. You catch it, you don't fumble it. But we did, we lose the game and our dream of going to the Super Bowl is gone with one play after all the work we put in all year. So it's tough."

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • May 2009

"One turnover cost us the game." He is 100% blaming Williams for the loss. Says it more than once in different ways. What a *****. I'm glad this douche is no longer on the Bills. He sucks and he is a douche.
                  Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 02-21-2012, 08:11 PM.

Comment

• feldspar
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts
                    "One turnover cost us the game." He is 100% blaming Williams for the loss. Says it more than once in different ways. What a *****. I'm glad this douche is no longer on the Bills. He sucks and he is a douche.
                    All depends on how you look at it, dude.

How many people in the 49ers locker-room feel the same way? How many of the fans? Hell, I thought that too, and so did you probably, if you watched the game. For crying out loud, when you fumble the ball on a kickoff at your own 24-yardline in overtime, it's game over, pretty much. Add to that his muffed punt return, which gave the Giants the go-ahead TD in the 4th quarter, and you gotta be a little pissed at that guy.

Kyle Williams screwed up ROYALLY, and everyone knows it. Epic fail. Put lipstick on a pig, and it's still a pig.

At the end of the Bills-Titans Music City Miracle game, can you honestly say that you didn't think the game was decided on ONE play: the Home-run Throwback? Do you think tons of guys in the Ravens locker-room didn't blame Billy Cundiff for that loss against the Patriots, and, to a much lesser degree, Lee Evans? I know I did, and what Williams did was MUCH worse.

You could say that Whitner is being courageous for speaking his mind, if you really wanted to look at it that way. He's just saying what a lot of other guys are thinking.

It's a game. All the BS people spew about being classy (and therefore dishonest) at times doesn't cover up what we all saw happen...and how we truly feel about those things.
                    Last edited by feldspar; 02-21-2012, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

To think that when he was drafted we were led to believe Donte Whitner had leadership qualities and maturity. Way to build your team, Donte. I'm sure your teammates all respect you a lot more for having thrown a teammate under the bus.
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• feldspar
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by TigerJ
                        To think that when he was drafted we were led to believe Donte Whitner had leadership qualities and maturity. Way to build your team, Donte. I'm sure your teammates all respect you a lot more for having thrown a teammate under the bus.
                        What planet are we living on now? A lot of his teammates feel the same way, I'm sure. They are human beings, right?

Comment

• imbondz
                          Democrats are people too
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by feldspar
                          What planet are we living on now? A lot of his teammates feel the same way, I'm sure. They are human beings, right?
                          you don't throw your teammates under the bus to the media.
                          My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• SaviorEdwards
                            • Feb 2010

A lot of bills fans are still butt hurt over Whitner it would seem. He went to a better team and organization, get over it.
                            "The best things to happen to Michigan Football have come from Ohio." - Chris Spielman

Comment

• feldspar
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by imbondz
                              you don't throw your teammates under the bus to the media.
                              Who invented THAT rule, and where is the line between telling the truth and "throwing teammates under the bus?"

Classy guys lie then, I suppose. Whitner told the truth, and we all know that. Kyle Williams threw himself under the bus...ever hear the story about the Emperor's new clothes, where everyone pretends that he is not naked? What, are we a bunch of fools now? Everyone should deny reality? It doesn't come more clear than this one.

What question was ASKED that prompted Whitner to tell the truth, which he should be condemned for doing? That's what I want to know.

The truth is the truth. When you fumble the ball at your own 24 yardline in overtime and also whiff a different punt to give the other team a TD in the 4th quarter in a low-scoring game, I blame that guy.

Whitner also expressed some support for the guy as a person, but the guy fumbled the game away, and we all know this.

Comment

Working...
                              X