PDA

View Full Version : Whitner throws Williams under the bus

YardRat
02-21-2012, 06:19 PM
NFL Total Access on NFLN right now...Basically totally blamed Williams for the championship game loss, said one play cost them the game.

Goobylal
02-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Like they had a chance to beat the Pats.

BertSquirtgum
02-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Donte Whitner is trash.

trapezeus
02-21-2012, 07:04 PM
and had they lost to the saints, he wouldn't cite the 2 times that he got toasted on big plays under 5 minutes to play.

feldspar
02-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Whitner, while he made that HUGE forced fumble, missed a couple of crucial tackles too...on HUGE plays.

Kyle Williams (WR) probably DID cost them the game on a certain level, but you don't go an SAY that if you are a professional. He fumbled the ball and let it touch his leg another time, accounting for TWO turnovers.

That said, here is a quote from Whitner about Williams: “He made a mistake and fumbled the ball, but that’s one play out of many. He’s a young talented player and hopefully he’ll learn from this and he won’t beat himself up about it too bad. It’s tough when you’re that close to your ultimate goal and you fall short.”

I don't see this as blaming him for the loss or throwing him under the bus. Keep it in context, please. He probably was ASKED a specific question, too, not just offering this up on his own, dunno.

Sound-bites...we have no attention span anymore. The intended message isn't the same as the sound-bite.

Give me the exact quote that says Whitner threw Williams under the bus...it's common knowledge that Williams screwed up royally more than once. I see Whitner being as nice about it as he could.

I know it's in vogue to find ways to slam Whitner, but I don't see it...unless there is some quote out there that I'm unaware of.

YardRat
02-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Whitner, while he made that HUGE forced fumble, missed a couple of crucial tackles too...on HUGE plays.

Kyle Williams (WR) probably DID cost them the game on a certain level, but you don't go an SAY that if you are a professional. He fumbled the ball and let it touch his leg another time, accounting for TWO turnovers.

That said, here is a quote from Whitner about Williams: “He made a mistake and fumbled the ball, but that’s one play out of many. He’s a young talented player and hopefully he’ll learn from this and he won’t beat himself up about it too bad. It’s tough when you’re that close to your ultimate goal and you fall short.”

I don't see this as blaming him for the loss or throwing him under the bus. Keep it in context, please. He probably was ASKED a specific question, too, not just offering this up on his own, dunno.

Sound-bites...we have no attention span anymore. The intended message isn't the same as the sound-bite.

Give me the exact quote that says Whitner threw Williams under the bus...it's common knowledge that Williams screwed up royally more than once. I see Whitner being as nice about it as he could.

I know it's in vogue to find ways to slam Whitner, but I don't see it...unless there is some quote out there that I'm unaware of.

If one pops up I'll try and find it...I was watching it on TV. He also said something to the effect of how hard it was and how long it took him (Whitner) to get over the disappointment of the loss and anger over the turnover before he could approach Williams and say anything to him.

Of course he was prompted by a question, but he made it very clear, more than once, that he felt one play lost the game and that one play was on Williams.

YardRat
02-21-2012, 07:42 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8271b2fd/Who-has-it-better-than-Whitner

feldspar
02-21-2012, 07:42 PM
If one pops up I'll try and find it...I was watching it on TV. He also said something to the effect of how hard it was and how long it took him (Whitner) to get over the disappointment of the loss and anger over the turnover before he could approach Williams and say anything to him.

Of course he was prompted by a question, but he made it very clear, more than once, that he felt one play lost the game and that one play was on Williams.

OK, so, if he said that, do you think he's wrong, or just wrong for saying it?

Funny how people complain about players/coaches not being honest...just giving rote, glib responses...yet when they tell the truth, that's bad too. I don't know if YOU do that, but it's common, like people want it both ways.

Here is something I found:

"It was very tough," he said. "When you come into training camp, you set a goal. The goal is to reach the Super Bowl and win that trophy. And you're one, you know, a few plays away from making it to your ultimate goal. It's tough when you come up short and you feel like, you know, it was a routine play. It's a routine play. You catch it, you don't fumble it. But we did, we lose the game and our dream of going to the Super Bowl is gone with one play after all the work we put in all year. So it's tough."

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/02/whitner-backs-alex-smith-says-it-was-tough-to-forgive-kyle-williams.html

BertSquirtgum
02-21-2012, 08:09 PM
"One turnover cost us the game." He is 100% blaming Williams for the loss. Says it more than once in different ways. What a *****. I'm glad this douche is no longer on the Bills. He sucks and he is a douche.

feldspar
02-21-2012, 10:03 PM
"One turnover cost us the game." He is 100% blaming Williams for the loss. Says it more than once in different ways. What a *****. I'm glad this douche is no longer on the Bills. He sucks and he is a douche.

All depends on how you look at it, dude.

How many people in the 49ers locker-room feel the same way? How many of the fans? Hell, I thought that too, and so did you probably, if you watched the game. For crying out loud, when you fumble the ball on a kickoff at your own 24-yardline in overtime, it's game over, pretty much. Add to that his muffed punt return, which gave the Giants the go-ahead TD in the 4th quarter, and you gotta be a little pissed at that guy.

Kyle Williams screwed up ROYALLY, and everyone knows it. Epic fail. Put lipstick on a pig, and it's still a pig.

At the end of the Bills-Titans Music City Miracle game, can you honestly say that you didn't think the game was decided on ONE play: the Home-run Throwback? Do you think tons of guys in the Ravens locker-room didn't blame Billy Cundiff for that loss against the Patriots, and, to a much lesser degree, Lee Evans? I know I did, and what Williams did was MUCH worse.

You could say that Whitner is being courageous for speaking his mind, if you really wanted to look at it that way. He's just saying what a lot of other guys are thinking.

It's a game. All the BS people spew about being classy (and therefore dishonest) at times doesn't cover up what we all saw happen...and how we truly feel about those things.

TigerJ
02-21-2012, 10:21 PM
To think that when he was drafted we were led to believe Donte Whitner had leadership qualities and maturity. Way to build your team, Donte. I'm sure your teammates all respect you a lot more for having thrown a teammate under the bus.

feldspar
02-21-2012, 10:29 PM
To think that when he was drafted we were led to believe Donte Whitner had leadership qualities and maturity. Way to build your team, Donte. I'm sure your teammates all respect you a lot more for having thrown a teammate under the bus.

What planet are we living on now? A lot of his teammates feel the same way, I'm sure. They are human beings, right?

imbondz
02-21-2012, 10:39 PM
What planet are we living on now? A lot of his teammates feel the same way, I'm sure. They are human beings, right?

you don't throw your teammates under the bus to the media.

SaviorEdwards
02-21-2012, 10:57 PM
A lot of bills fans are still butt hurt over Whitner it would seem. He went to a better team and organization, get over it.

feldspar
02-21-2012, 11:16 PM
you don't throw your teammates under the bus to the media.

Who invented THAT rule, and where is the line between telling the truth and "throwing teammates under the bus?"

Classy guys lie then, I suppose. Whitner told the truth, and we all know that. Kyle Williams threw himself under the bus...ever hear the story about the Emperor's new clothes, where everyone pretends that he is not naked? What, are we a bunch of fools now? Everyone should deny reality? It doesn't come more clear than this one.

What question was ASKED that prompted Whitner to tell the truth, which he should be condemned for doing? That's what I want to know.

The truth is the truth. When you fumble the ball at your own 24 yardline in overtime and also whiff a different punt to give the other team a TD in the 4th quarter in a low-scoring game, I blame that guy.

Whitner also expressed some support for the guy as a person, but the guy fumbled the game away, and we all know this.

YardRat
02-22-2012, 05:50 AM
Williams knows 'the truth' himself, he and the rest of his team mates don't need it publicized. That kind of discussion is for fans on message boards, not team mates outside of the locker room.

elltrain22
02-22-2012, 05:53 AM
Seriously, is Whitner a man at all?? Or is he really a 13-year old girl stuck in a mans body??

Meathead
02-22-2012, 06:04 AM
hes a good not great player but he just keeps getting hung by his own tongue

jamze132
02-22-2012, 06:15 AM

I don't get it. Whitner should be used to losing, he did it enough in Buffalo. What, did he think that by leaving Buffalo he would become and instant winner?

better days
02-22-2012, 07:34 AM
A lot of bills fans are still butt hurt over Whitner it would seem. He went to a better team and organization, get over it.

There are FEW if any Bills fans that feel hurt Whitner left Buffalo. MOST Bills fans wanted him gone. George Wilson is a better safety than Donte Whitner.

stuckincincy
02-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Rule #1: Never talk to the press.

Rule #2: Re-read rule #1.

justasportsfan
02-22-2012, 10:28 AM
lol. Say what Donte? Don't express it on media?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d8271b551/Quinn-not-into-Tebowing

Oaf
02-22-2012, 11:06 AM
He's a passionate, emotionate player. Nothing wrong with that. I see nothing wrong with the quote. When a routine play causes you to miss the super bowl, you are frustrated by said routine play.

ddaryl
02-22-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm so glad this guy is gone. He is obviously a locker room cancer

better days
02-22-2012, 11:46 AM

I'm glad he is gone because I think Wilson is a better safety.

Cali512
02-22-2012, 03:10 PM
I love people defending him, its stupid. You dont do that, idc if every person including williams believed 100% that the loss was all bc of him. You dont say it!

OpIv37
02-22-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm glad he is gone because I think Wilson is a better safety.

You're both right. And I could add at least another 10 reasons why I'm glad he's off the team, but time to move on.

It's good to see the Whitner Anti-Defamation League alive and well in this thread, though. Saint Donte cannot sin!

Cali512
02-22-2012, 03:45 PM
What i dont get is how he keeps getting interviews. Youd think Alex Smith, Gore, Crabtree, Davis, Iupatu, Smith, Willis, or even TKO wouldve been a better person to interview. Even with buffalo, Poz, Stroud, Owens, Lynch, Evans wouldve been better but they always chose Whitner. I believe Whitner calls the shows and asks if they want him on, bc it seems like he loves it

OpIv37
02-22-2012, 03:48 PM
What i dont get is how he keeps getting interviews. Youd think Alex Smith, Gore, Crabtree, Davis, Iupatu, Smith, Willis, or even TKO wouldve been a better person to interview. Even with buffalo, Poz, Stroud, Owens, Lynch, Evans wouldve been better but they always chose Whitner. I believe Whitner calls the shows and asks if they want him on, bc it seems like he loves it

Agreed. My guess is that Whitner does all the interviews because he loves the spotlight and never says "no."

Those other guys are probably more selective about which interviews they do. Whitner just wants a camera or a mic in his face as much as possible.

YardRat
02-22-2012, 06:23 PM
He is pretty well spoken for a.....

....strong safety.

Extremebillsfan247
02-23-2012, 10:30 AM
He's not our problem anymore. That's just how I see it when it comes to Whitner.

SABURZFAN
02-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Whitner better watch it. Williams is in better shape than patmoran.

TigerJ
02-23-2012, 11:02 PM
There are FEW if any Bills fans that feel hurt Whitner left Buffalo. MOST Bills fans wanted him gone. George Wilson is a better safety than Donte Whitner.

I agree. I didn't think the Bills would have any problem at safety when Whitner left.

On the subject of players blaming teammates for a loss, I think this is a relatively new phenomenon, encouraged by the easy direct access to the public that Twitter gives players. When Scott Norwood kicked the field goal attempt to win the Super Bowl, and it went wide right, most Bills fans blamed Norwood, but you never heard a player try to hang it on the guy. Maybe there would have been had Twitter existed then. I don't know. I think the existence of players like Whitner is partly due to Twitter, and partly due to the decline in team consciousness which is part of our cultural reality.