PDA

View Full Version : mike Wallace

Bert102176
02-22-2012, 07:09 AM
So the Steelers are cap strapped and can't franchise or probably even sign him, I would go after him

Lexwhat
02-22-2012, 07:18 AM
He's a restricted Free Agent. Under the new CBA Rules, we would be required to give up a 1st Round pick for him if he signs with us.

better days
02-22-2012, 07:25 AM
He's a restricted Free Agent. Under the new CBA Rules, we would be required to give up a 1st Round pick for him if he signs with us.

I could see a team like the Pats* sign him. Their pick is so low it is almost like a 2nd rnd pick.

Ickybaluky
02-22-2012, 07:43 AM
He is a legitimate deep threat and #1 WR, but surrending the #10 overall pick for him, along with the big contract, seems a little steep for a team like Buffalo.

better days
02-22-2012, 07:51 AM
He is a legitimate deep threat and #1 WR, but surrending the #10 overall pick for him, along with the big contract, seems a little steep for a team like Buffalo.

I agree.

Meathead
02-22-2012, 08:05 AM
id rather have morley safer

better days
02-22-2012, 08:07 AM
id rather have morley safer

Morley doesn't have Mikes speed.

stuckincincy
02-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Franchise tags are on sale this year.

Under the new CBA, franchise tags are down anywhere from 11 to 37 percent.

Position-2011-2012:

QB-$16.1M-$14.4M
RB-9.6-7.7
WR-11.4-9.4
TE-7.3-5.4
OL-10.1-9.4

DE-13-1-.6
DT-12.5-8.5
CB-13.5-10.6
S-8.8-6.2
K-3.2-2.6

better days
02-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Franchise tags are on sale this year.

Under the new CBA, franchise tags are down anywhere from 11 to 37 percent.

Position-2011-2012:

QB-$16.1M-$14.4M
RB-9.6-7.7
WR-11.4-9.4
TE-7.3-5.4
OL-10.1-9.4

DE-13-1-.6
DT-12.5-8.5
CB-13.5-10.6
S-8.8-6.2
K-3.2-2.6

The Steelers have more cap problems than any other team. If they want to keep Wallace, they will have to sign him to a more cap friendly number than the tag.

stuckincincy
02-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Blurb from the Cincinnati Enquirer, 2/22/12:

..."Another big change in the CBA concerns restricted free agents. If a team wants to sign an RFA to an offer sheet, the highest tender now is just a first-round pick instead of a first and third. With the Bengals having an estimated $60 million in space, which would be the second-most in the league, some have speculated that they could try to sign Steelers receiver Mike Wallace to a huge offer sheet which Pittsburgh would be unable to match. If that would happen, the Bengals would give up their second first-round pick, which is the 21st overall, to the Steelers."...

Since CIN has two 1st picks (#17 via OAK, and their own, #21), it seems that the pick awarded is the team's own, not one acquired. FWIW.

Ickybaluky
02-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Since CIN has two 1st picks (#17 via OAK, and their own, #21), it seems that the pick awarded is the team's own, not one acquired. FWIW.

If you sign a restricted FA, the pick you give up has to be your own or higher in that round. You can't trade down and then sign him.

Bert102176
02-22-2012, 09:05 AM
I would give the 10th pick for him, or if he is there after the draft then it would be next years first I believe, but he is the Legit number 1 and deep threat we need not saying the Bills would cause the coaches and front office are all idiots and cheap bastards

stuckincincy
02-22-2012, 09:14 AM
If you sign a restricted FA, the pick you give up has to be your own or higher in that round. You can't trade down and then sign him.

I'm not clear about what you are saying. CIN didn't trade down - they received OAK's 1st rnd pick by trading Carson Palmer on Oct. 18, 2011.

Are you saying that the new CBA demands that if CIN offered a tender to PGH for Wallace, it would have to be the higher of CIN's two spots? The Cin Enquirer sports folks don't think that is the case.

Enlighten me.

Ickybaluky
02-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Are you saying that the new CBA demands that if CIN offered a tender to PGH for Wallace, it would have to be the higher of CIN's two spots? The Cin Enquirer sports folks don't think that is the case.

No. Compensation for RFA has always been picks at the same level or higher than the team's original draft position in that round. Cincinnati is slotted with the #21 pick, so the pick they give up with be that one.

If a team like Buffalo at #10 wanted to sign Wallace, they would need to have the #10 pick or higher to offer in compensation. They couldn't trade down and offer a lower first, it isn't allowed. That was all I was trying to say.

stuckincincy
02-22-2012, 10:04 AM
No. Compensation for RFA has always been picks at the same level or higher than the team's original draft position in that round. Cincinnati is slotted with the #21 pick, so the pick they give up with be that one.

If a team like Buffalo at #10 wanted to sign Wallace, they would need to have the #10 pick or higher to offer in compensation. They couldn't trade down and offer a lower first, it isn't allowed. That was all I was trying to say.

Which is what the Cin Enquirer reporter said.

So were does this "or higher" come from? You're starting to fight a rear guard action here..

Bert102176
02-22-2012, 10:53 AM
is there any way he can become a regular FA don't they have to tender him in order for the restricted to stay?

better days
02-22-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm not clear about what you are saying. CIN didn't trade down - they received OAK's 1st rnd pick by trading Carson Palmer on Oct. 18, 2011.

Enlighten me.

He is saying a team like Buffalo at #10 can't trade down.

YardRat
02-22-2012, 11:10 AM
They'll re-work some contracts and keep him.

better days
02-22-2012, 11:15 AM
They'll re-work some contracts and keep him.

They are already busy reworking contracts, but they will still need to sign Wallace to a cap friendly contract which I'm sure they would want to do anyway. I also think Wallace would be happy to stay in Pittsburg. Very good team with the chance to go to the Super Bowl every year.

stuckincincy
02-22-2012, 11:27 AM
He is saying a team like Buffalo at #10 can't trade down.
I get that - my query is about this "higher" thing when a team has two #1's - well before the draft. He implies that if for example, CIN put a tender for Wallace, they would have to offer up their #17 got via a trade well before the draft - only that would do.

He then amends that it is only the club's original draft spot is the one to be offered up.

Hence my confusion about his statements.

ddaryl
02-22-2012, 11:33 AM

ah but if the Steelers have no shot at making a deal they might take a 2nd round pick and consider themselves lucky to have gotten something

but I do agree, the #10 overall is not going to happen

OR if the Bills are not enamored with their choice of picks at the #10 spot a swap scenario or trade back and trade a pick to the Steelers could be possible

naturally these are just me musing out loud and I don't really expect any such thing

YardRat
02-22-2012, 11:49 AM
I get that - my query is about this "higher" thing when a team has two #1's - well before the draft. He implies that if for example, CIN put a tender for Wallace, they would have to offer up their #17 got via a trade well before the draft - only that would do.

He then amends that it is only the club's original draft spot is the one to be offered up.

Hence my confusion about his statements.

It has to be a pick equivalent to original draft position, or higher. It can't be lower than original draft position.

Ickybaluky
02-22-2012, 12:37 PM
It has to be a pick equivalent to original draft position, or higher. It can't be lower than original draft position.

Exactly. The same is true for all tenders.

For instance, if a restricted players was given a 2nd-round tender, any team that signs him would need their original 2nd or one higher to sign him. If they didn't have a 2nd and signed a restricted player, they would have to surrender their next highest pick, a 1st.

When signing restricted free agents that require draft pick compensation, that compensation has to be the team's original pick in that round or one of greater value (higher in the order).

Ickybaluky
02-22-2012, 12:41 PM
ah but if the Steelers have no shot at making a deal they might take a 2nd round pick and consider themselves lucky to have gotten something

Hard to imagine the Steelers won't give him the high tender, considering it is only $3M for one year. Given his talent, that is a bargain, and if they don't get the first I imagine they will be happy with him playing for them next year.

Night Train
02-23-2012, 11:26 AM
He was awesome on 60 Minutes.