Let's break this down.... What happens next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Let's break this down.... What happens next?

Currently, the Sabres sit at 6 points out of a playoff spot, with 59 points to Toronto's 65, and 22 games remaining. It seems unlikely that they could catch the 7th spot, with Ottawa already at 70.

There is a logjam for the 8th spot. Winnipeg, Washington, and TB are all between the Sabres and the Leafs, so the Sabres would have to catch all of them (Winnipeg has played two more than the Sabres, the Caps and TB have each played one fewer). Montreal and NYI are only 1 point behind the Sabres, and Carolina is only two points back.

Translation: There are only 8 points separating 8th place from 15th and 8 teams that still mathematically have a crack at the last spot.

The Sabres have two more games before the deadline, against Boston and NYR- the two top teams in the conference.

Can the Sabres make a run? Should they be buyers or sellers at the deadline, and will this weekend's results drive that decision?

Maybe the decision to be buyers or sellers will be based more on what is being offered. There seems to be big interest in Gaustad. The fans definitely want to get rid of Roy and Stafford- I don't know if the team agrees. If we can get decent return for 2 of these guys, maybe we're sellers.

Then again, if teams are low-balling us and someone who could help immediately becomes available for a reasonable price, maybe we make a run.

The homer "WOOOOHOOO! GO SABRES!" part of me hopes we become buyers and pull off the miracle run to make the playoffs. The more logical part of me thinks that it's over for this year and we should be sellers and set ourselves up for the future.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • 2slowtogofast
    • Sep 2007

Re: Let's break this down.... What happens next?

I don't want to cash the season in and I would love to go to the playoffs even if its a first round exit. That being said it would be worse to pass on offers for Gausted and others and get nothing and not make the post season.

Comment

• Mski
      • Mar 2006

I think for the future of the franchise they become sellers this year... even if they do get hot, and go on that miracle run, i cant see them getting out of the first round, and a run like that will make the front office think they have something witht he group of players they already have in place, and give them an excuse for not making any major moves in the off season
      RIP Tommy D!
      12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mski
        I think for the future of the franchise they become sellers this year... even if they do get hot, and go on that miracle run, i cant see them getting out of the first round, and a run like that will make the front office think they have something witht he group of players they already have in place, and give them an excuse for not making any major moves in the off season
        yeah that's another thing that concerns me- if we go on a run, it will discourage the FO from making big moves this off season, and I know we'll never get out of the 1st round of the playoffs as long as we have to rely on guys like Stafford and Roy.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

sabres will lose to boston and it will be decided that they should sell.

gaustad needs to go. he's a free agent, get something for him. and he seems to like it here, so resign him in the summer.

durign the pitt game, the announcers mentioned that gaustad had a meeting with darcy before the game. perhaps that was what it was. "we like you, we aren't making the playoffs, we'll put a contract on the table for you now. tell us what you think. we trade you, get a player, and then come summer, the contract is yours."

that would be a smart move.

i trust roy will be moved for a struggling player from another team.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus

gaustad needs to go. he's a free agent, get something for him. and he seems to like it here, so resign him in the summer.

durign the pitt game, the announcers mentioned that gaustad had a meeting with darcy before the game. perhaps that was what it was. "we like you, we aren't making the playoffs, we'll put a contract on the table for you now. tell us what you think. we trade you, get a player, and then come summer, the contract is yours."

It's a possibility.

The only part of your theory that troubles me: would a coach/GM actually say to a player "we aren't going to make the playoffs" when they are only 6 points out? Realistically I don't think they're going to make it, but from a morale standpoint, the team has to keep thinking and acting like they can make it until they are mathematically eliminated.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• tampabay25690
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by trapezeus

I did hear today Sabres and Gaustad are working on a deal now.
              He is the true leader on this team FYI...
              GO Gators!!!!!!
              GO GATORS!!

Comment

• SkateZilla
                • Dec 2002

heard similar rumors... guastad extension is being worked on.
                Skate Zilla
                -----------------------
                Skate Zilla HD Studios:
                SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

lmao. They called Gaustad into the room right before the game on national TV and got the national announcers and all the hockey blogs speculating about where/how he'll be moved, and it may have been all about re-signing him all along. It'll be hilarious if that's what happens.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• tampabay25690
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
                    lmao. They called Gaustad into the room right before the game on national TV and got the national announcers and all the hockey blogs speculating about where/how he'll be moved, and it may have been all about re-signing him all along. It'll be hilarious if that's what happens.
                    Yea I hear you.
                    I know the phones are busy but who knows if they will pull the trigger.
                    ROY starting to play better has helped him and his line....

Stafford is the guy probably on the move from what Im hearing but know one wants his contract...

Don't be surprised if you see no big moves at all.....
                    The GOOSE is the heart and sole of the Sabres lockeroom FYI..........
                    If he is moved look for alot of PISSED OFF PLAYERS.......
                    GO Gators!!!!!!
                    GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Meathead
                      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mski
                      i cant see them getting out of the first round
                      i gotta admit i find it so aggravating that fans say stuff like this. by now we should all know that hockey history has clearly showed us its close to irrelevant what position you get into the playoffs as long as you get in. its true that the top regular season teams have a higher playoff winning percentage, but its a ton smaller than you would expect and bottom seeded teams routinely make long runs and win cups. the top seeded teams usually do not advance, more often than not. it really doesnt matter who the sabres would face they would stand at least as good a shot as any other season

especially this season it wouldnt surprise me at all if the sabres make a strong run if they make it in. on paper at least they have arguably their strongest overall lineup since the french connection teams. they have suffered through a plague of injuries, their goalie fighting off a foggy brain for half the season, and an incredible scoring slump by everyone not named vanek or pomm. they have widespread playoff experience, and their deepest farm team depth in a decade. if they get in an are relatively healthy they could really do some damage, more than the average eighth seeded team

the sabres are essentially in their playoffs now cuz if they dont go on at least a 2-1 pace the rest of the way they wont get in anyway. if they drop both of the next two games in regulation its pretty much over, if they win one they tread water and if they win them both they should be in decent shape. but they absolutely have to get and stay hot now and its going to be super difficult for sabres management to make the buy or sell decision regardless unless they lose both of the next two
                      Last edited by Meathead; 02-22-2012, 04:54 PM.
                      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• SkateZilla
                        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by tampabay25690
                        Yea I hear you.
                        I know the phones are busy but who knows if they will pull the trigger.
                        ROY starting to play better has helped him and his line....

Stafford is the guy probably on the move from what Im hearing but know one wants his contract...

Don't be surprised if you see no big moves at all.....
                        The GOOSE is the heart and sole of the Sabres lockeroom FYI..........
                        If he is moved look for alot of PISSED OFF PLAYERS.......
                        When players are told they may be traded, they typically play better...

>> Miro Satan.
                        Skate Zilla
                        -----------------------
                        Skate Zilla HD Studios:
                        SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

I thought I heard this afternoon that Gausted re-signed?

IMO Roy gets moved, Stafford probably stays.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                            Skoobasaurus-Rex
                            • Oct 2011

Trade Regier, put Ruff out to pasture.

Comment

• Mski
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Meathead
                              i gotta admit i find it so aggravating that fans say stuff like this. by now we should all know that hockey history has clearly showed us its close to irrelevant what position you get into the playoffs as long as you get in. its true that the top regular season teams have a higher playoff winning percentage, but its a ton smaller than you would expect and bottom seeded teams routinely make long runs and win cups. the top seeded teams usually do not advance, more often than not. it really doesnt matter who the sabres would face they would stand at least as good a shot as any other season

especially this season it wouldnt surprise me at all if the sabres make a strong run if they make it in. on paper at least they have arguably their strongest overall lineup since the french connection teams. they have suffered through a plague of injuries, their goalie fighting off a foggy brain for half the season, and an incredible scoring slump by everyone not named vanek or pomm. they have widespread playoff experience, and their deepest farm team depth in a decade. if they get in an are relatively healthy they could really do some damage, more than the average eighth seeded team

the sabres are essentially in their playoffs now cuz if they dont go on at least a 2-1 pace the rest of the way they wont get in anyway. if they drop both of the next two games in regulation its pretty much over, if they win one they tread water and if they win them both they should be in decent shape. but they absolutely have to get and stay hot now and its going to be super difficult for sabres management to make the buy or sell decision regardless unless they lose both of the next two
                              i have no doubt that the team can put on a run, and make the playoffs. the reason i dont think they can get out of the 1st round isnt because of talent on paper, because they have alot of that. Its because this team lacks the heart, or willpower, or gritt (call it whatever you want) general toughness it takes to win the battles along the boards, go in deep in the corners, fight in front of the net. all the little things that a team needs to do to win in the playoffs, all the things the team hasnt done ever this year
                              RIP Tommy D!
                              12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

Working...
                              X