PDA

View Full Version : Is Dwayne Bowe Plan B for Bills?

Ed
02-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Nothing really new here, just speculation, but it makes sense that Bowe would be near the top of the list of potential free agents they would pursue. I'm wondering if they feel confident enough that they can get Bowe that they're not willing to really budge from their proposal to Stevie. The Chiefs franchising or re-signing Bowe still seems like a realistic possibility though.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/38876/is-dwayne-bowe-plan-b-for-bills

SeatownBillsFan21
02-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Not going to happen the Chiefs all but said he will be with the team one way or another. One can dream tho.

ThunderGun
02-22-2012, 01:58 PM
He better not be, because KC is gonna tag him.

Ed
02-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Well that's my main concern. If Bowe isn't a realistic option then we need to get things locked up with Stevie.

Nix said we need to add another go to WR to pair with Stevie, or get 2 good WR's if we lose Stevie. If we can't come to terms with Stevie, who are these other WR's we're going to pick up?

OpIv37
02-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Well that's my main concern. If Bowe isn't a realistic option then we need to get things locked up with Stevie.

Nix said we need to add another go to WR to pair with Stevie, or get 2 good WR's if we lose Stevie. If we can't come to terms with Stevie, who are these other WR's we're going to pick up?

Colston, Reggie Wayne and Vincent Jackson will also be available.

Of course, that still probably means finding a WR in the draft because there is no way we pay more than 1 of those 5 guys (Stevie, Bowe, and the 3 I mentioned).

ThunderGun
02-22-2012, 02:41 PM

Of course, that still probably means finding a WR in the draft because there is no way we pay more than 1 of those 5 guys (Stevie, Bowe, and the 3 I mentioned).

I wouldn't get anywhere near Colston or Wayne.

Colston has had way too many knee surgeries, and Wayne has never done anything without one of the best QB's of all time throwing to him, and Marvin Harrison on the other side.

Ed
02-22-2012, 02:47 PM

Colston and Wayne have both had the benefit of playing with HOF qb's. You don't think Stevie Johnson could put up huge numbers playing with Brees or a healthy Peyton Manning? I like Stevie better then both those guys and it would be a lot easier to re-sign him then compete for someone elses services at a higher rate.

stuckincincy
02-22-2012, 02:49 PM
I wouldn't get anywhere near Colston or Wayne.

Colston has had way too many knee surgeries, and Wayne has never done anything without one of the best QB's of all time throwing to him, and Marvin Harrison on the other side.

Kinda like McCargo playing alongside Mario Williams at NC State? That didn't stop the Bills from trading up into the 1st to draft 'ole John.

:deadhorse

Ed
02-22-2012, 02:53 PM
The other thing is, Stevie actually loves Buffalo, wants to be a Bill, and has a great relationship/chemistry with Fitz.

Do we really want to roll the dice and hope we can land Vincent Jackson? What if he doesn't want to come here? What if he wants too much money?

It just doesn't seem worth it to low ball Stevie. If he leaves and we can't get Bowe or Jackson, we're hosed.

OpIv37
02-22-2012, 02:58 PM
The other thing is, Stevie actually loves Buffalo, wants to be a Bill, and has a great relationship/chemistry with Fitz.

Colston and Wayne have both had the benefit of playing with HOF qb's. You don't think Stevie Johnson could put up huge numbers playing with Brees or a healthy Peyton Manning? I like Stevie better then both those guys and it would be a lot easier to re-sign him then compete for someone elses services at a higher rate.

People keep saying stuff like this around the board (and even some actual news articles and NFL blogs), but if it were true, why hasn't this gotten done yet? They've had plenty of time since the season ended for the Bills.

It just doesn't seem worth it to low ball Stevie. If he leaves and we can't get Bowe or Jackson, we're hosed.

I agree with this 100%. I'm not thrilled about the current situation even if we keep Stevie. If we go into next season with Donald Jones as our #1 WR, we are definitely hosed.

Ed
02-22-2012, 03:12 PM
People keep saying stuff like this around the board (and even some actual news articles and NFL blogs), but if it were true, why hasn't this gotten done yet? They've had plenty of time since the season ended for the Bills.

I agree with this 100%. I'm not thrilled about the current situation even if we keep Stevie. If we go into next season with Donald Jones as our #1 WR, we are definitely hosed.
I say it would be easier for the Bills to re-sign Stevie for the simple fact that right now they have exclusive negotiating rights. Stevie is comfortable here and has stated he wants to return. I don't think the deals gotten done because the Bills are trying to get him for a discount before he hits the market. I think if the Bills just gave him a fair market offer the deal would be done. And who knows, maybe they will during their meetings at the combine. I'm not going to pretend I know what's going on with the negotiations, but I don't see how competing for a top tier WR on the open market would be any easier then trying to re-sign your own player before free agency starts.

better days
02-22-2012, 03:15 PM

They have just started serious negotiating. I think they will get a deal done, they have plenty of time to do so.

Cali512
02-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Bowe would be perfect. But wont happen till next year

stuckincincy
02-22-2012, 03:44 PM

Early days, I suppose. Bowe, Wallace, others are potentially on the market yet. Every club is busy formulating their draft boards and tending to their own player contract situations. Add in changes in the rookie signing pool $.

My guess is that clubs are just being prudent. FWIW, Johnson's name has showed up in the Cincy press a few times. The enigmatic (and human highlight reel) Jerome Simpson is probably gone, Andre Caldwell has flashed, failed, flashed, failed and so on.

Not much of a timetable on Jordan Shipley's return from major knee surgery.

They need someone to reliably team with AJ Green. CIN has the cap chops to sign just about any FA position - if the owner cares to. But they have a bunch of OL/DL players in FA, so they have to toss $ that way. And they need DB/S in the worst way.

So look for CIN to be a player in the FA WR market. Ralph and Mikie are kindred spirits.

tampabay25690
02-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Actually I would luv to see the Bills lock up Steview and bring in a solid #2.
The guy I really like is Early Doucet.
Had a very good year last year and the guy is only getting better.

The Jokeman
02-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Actually I would luv to see the Bills lock up Steview and bring in a solid #2.
The guy I really like is Early Doucet.
Had a very good year last year and the guy is only getting better.
For the first time 4 seasons Doucet played a full year with Arizona last year. He put up solid #2 numbers. Though not sure he has the "size" factor Nix eluded to looking for this offseason. I'd definitely keep him on a short list of possible #2s though. I've also mentioned Legedu Naanee's name.