• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

The more I think about it...

The more I realize that Stevie Johnson leaving Buffalo is the best thing for both sides.

This franchise already ruined their last two star receivers (Lee Evans and Eric Moulds) with an absurd QB carousel, a lack of other receiving threats and/or an inept running game. Right now, we have the running game figured out but our QB is mediocre and we don't have another big receiving threat.

We've seen what Stevie can do in this situation. The team can't continue to do the same thing and expect different results. And we know that there is no way this team will pay another receiving threat if they have to commit $7.5 million+ a year to Stevie.

Stevie could thrive on a team with a better QB/WR situation (assuming he gets over the dropsies and the maturity issues). The team could take the money they would have spent on him and spend it on a true #1 WR. There are a bunch available this year (Colston, Vincent Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Dwayne Bowe).

Assuming the Bills find a true #1 elsewhere, losing Stevie isn't the end of the world and may come with the opportunity to be better off at WR.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • JCBills
    • Jan 2010

Re: The more I think about it...

I think it's unfair at this point to say he isn't a true #1. He has never had anything above a mediocre QB. Colston, Jackson, Wayne, and Bowe have, even though Cassel would be pushing it, he has had a few good seasons in 2008 and 2010.

I'd like to see what Stevie can do with a threat opposite him, and eventually a new QB.

Comment

• ThunderGun
      • Dec 2011

I posted this in the other thread, but I wouldn't get anywhere near Colston or Wayne.

Colston has had way too many knee surgeries, and Wayne has never done anything without one of the best QB's of all time throwing to him, and Marvin Harrison on the other side. And even then, I never really felt like he was a #1 WR. He reminds me of Lee Evans, who I also never thought was a #1.

Bowe....idk...he's a freak. Super-talented. But he's never really been consistent until recently, and KC is gonna tag him anyway, so it probably won't matter.

The only real option, IMO, is Vincent Jackson. The only way I'd be ok with letting stevie walk would be if we got Jackson (or Blackmon, but that obviously isn't gonna happen). I highly doubt we get Jackson....but maybe Buddy Nix has a good relationship with him from his San Diego days. I doubt it, but you never know.
      Last edited by ThunderGun; 02-22-2012, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by JCBills
        I think it's unfair at this point to say he isn't a true #1. He has never had anything above a mediocre QB. Colston, Jackson, Wayne, and Bowe have, even though Cassel would be pushing it, he has had a few good seasons in 2008 and 2010.

I'd like to see what Stevie can do with a threat opposite him, and eventually a new QB.
        the problem is that if he stays in Buffalo, there's a good chance he'll spend most or all of his career with a mediocre QB. We've already extended Fitz and this team hasn't been able to find a QB since Jim Kelly in the mid- 1980's.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ThunderGun
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by OpIv37
          the problem is that if he stays in Buffalo, there's a good chance he'll spend most or all of his career with a mediocre QB. We've already extended Fitz and this team hasn't been able to find a QB since Jim Kelly in the mid- 1980's.
          That worries me as well, but that will be true with any WR we have. At least we know that Stevie can be solid with mediocre QB play. You're right though...I'd hate to "Moulds" him.

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

Amazing, isn't it? They're not alone - WAS comes to mind.

Can one imagine what would happen if a successful corporation owned a team - say McDonald's - in place of one of the egotistical Gang of 32?

You'd have to retire the Lombardi Trophy - they'd never lose.
            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Oaf
              Do you read what you write?
              • Jun 2007

Who's our number #2 if we don't resign Johnson and spring for another guy?

All this discussion and negotiation just to realize Donald Jones and/or Hospital Marcus is still starting.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

The Bills may have wasted Moulds talent, but they did not ruin him.

Comment

• Cali512
                  • Jan 2012

You do realize that Stevie and Fitz love eachother and have a great chemistry. Imo if Stevie stays it will be bc of Fitz. Your lookin at it from your pov, not his
                  Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                    Will not tolerate vandalism.
                    • Apr 2006

Sure. I can see your point.

Stevie would get a better team.

Buffalo fans would finally get so disgusted with the management of the team that they'd finally stop buying tickets and let the team move to L.A., where they'd get a bigger fan base, more money to work with, and the ability to win.

A Cadmean victory if you will.

Comment

• JCBills
                      • Jan 2010

Fitz's contract was structured so they can get out without much money thrown out.

Even if they draft someone to develop behind him, I don't think they would hesitate to make the switch if it became apparent that the up and comer had a higher ceiling.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Cali512
                        You do realize that Stevie and Fitz love eachother and have a great chemistry. Imo if Stevie stays it will be bc of Fitz. Your lookin at it from your pov, not his
                        Don't care about chemistry.

I care about results. Stevie and Fitz haven't been good enough to get us wins, chemistry or not.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Oaf
                          Who's our number #2 if we don't resign Johnson and spring for another guy?

All this discussion and negotiation just to realize Donald Jones and/or Hospital Marcus is still starting.
                          If we re-sign Johnson, we aren't springing for another guy.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by JCBills
                            Fitz's contract was structured so they can get out without much money thrown out.

Even if they draft someone to develop behind him, I don't think they would hesitate to make the switch if it became apparent that the up and comer had a higher ceiling.
                            I don't doubt that.

I doubt that they can actually find a QB.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Well, Miami has gone through more QBs than Buffalo has since Marino retired.

The Jets haven't had aQB since Namath & NO Esiason was never good.

The Rams haven't had a QB since they let Warner get away while he still had some football left in him & no Bradford will never be any better than Fitz.

The 49ers haven't had a QB since Young although Smith may be as good as Fitz.

The Seahawks haven't had a QB since Zorn.

There are MANY teams looking for a QB, Buffalo is not alone in that regard.

Comment

Working...
                              X