02-22-2012, 04:19 PM
@buffalobills #Bills & CB Terrence McGee 2day agreed on a restructured contract

Wittman21
02-22-2012, 04:21 PM
terms of deal not yet disclosed

ServoBillieves
02-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Verified by v-text.

Good move... I think? I dunno, if it's restructured that's a plus.

Wittman21
02-22-2012, 04:30 PM
yea I don't really know what to think about this....does it free up money this year for FA (or penny pinching), or is it more incentive based (games played, etc)?

Wittman21
02-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Joe Buscaglia @JoeB_WGR-
According to a source, new deal gives the Bills security if 24 isn't healthy, but allows him to make the original money if healthy & playing

Buddo
02-22-2012, 04:36 PM
yea I don't really know what to think about this....does it free up money this year for FA (or penny pinching), or is it more incentive based (games played, etc)?

Doesn't necessarily free money up, from what I've seen elsewhere, but it is incentive based. i.e. if he plays the majority of the season, he gets paid as before, but if he doesn't, the Bills are off the hook so to speak.

I like this move tbh. I'd still trust a healthy McGee far more than any other current CB on the roster, although a couple have lots of room for future improvement.
Helps with depth too.

tampabay25690
02-22-2012, 04:36 PM
When healthy he is by far are best CB...
So good move if he is good to go...
This will just help develop AJ Williams and Rogers, and also help Leodis....
Still draft another CB.

jimbledsoe
02-22-2012, 04:37 PM
If healthy, Mcgee is a good CB and can be solid depth depending on our defensive scheme. I believe this is a good move.

Ed
02-22-2012, 04:54 PM
It will be interesting to see the numbers, but I think the more significant fact is that McGee is probably no longer a candidate for being released. I wonder if the Bills gave him the option of restructuring or getting released.

scartown
02-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Terrence McGee received a $300,000 signing bonus and his base salary is now $1.35 million for 2012, per a league source. From Aaron Wilson twitter

The bills save about 2 million in base salary for this season

CleveSteve
02-22-2012, 05:03 PM
How many games did he play last year? One thing a clause like this does is move money into the "Not Likely to be Earned" or "Likely to be Earned." NLTBE escalators are not counted against the current year's cap while LTBE escalators are counted against the current cap. Both are based on previous years' performance.

If the LTBE escalator is not reach, the team is credited that amount on next year's cap, since they lost that aount towards this year's cap. If the NLTBE escalator is reached, then that escalator amount counts on next year's cap as dead money (since it was paid to him this year but not counted against this year's cap.)

For example, let's say his contract went from $3.6mil or whatever it was to $1.6mil in salary and $2.0 mil bonus if he plays 12 games. if he played 10 games last year , this $2.0 mil is considered NLTBE and is not counted against this year's cap (saving $2.0 mil on this year's cap while keeping him on the roster.) If he meets the escalator, he makes the $2.0 mil and that amount is dead money on next year's cap.

These numbers I'm using are from the above post. I don't know how many games he played in or what is now in his contract for playing time.

Ed
02-22-2012, 05:09 PM
How many games did he play last year? One thing a clause like this does is move money into the "Not Likely to be Earned" or "Likely to be Earned." NLTBE escalators are not counted against the current year's cap while LTBE escalators are counted against the current cap. Both are based on previous years' performance.

If the LTBE escalator is not reach, the team is credited that amount on next year's cap, since they lost that aount towards this year's cap. If the NLTBE escalator is reached, then that escalator amount counts on next year's cap as dead money (since it was paid to him this year but not counted against this year's cap.)

For example, let's say his contract went from $3.6mil or whatever it was to $1.6mil in salary and $2.0 mil bonus if he plays 12 games. if he played 10 games last year , this $2.0 mil is considered NLTBE and is not counted against this year's cap (saving $2.0 mil on this year's cap while keeping him on the roster.) If he meets the escalator, he makes the $2.0 mil and that amount is dead money on next year's cap.

These numbers I'm using are from the above post. I don't know how many games he played in or what is now in his contract for playing time.
So the team doesn't have any say in what they consider LTBE and NLTBE, it's just based on previous stats?

CleveSteve
02-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Right, strictly based on previous stats... except for the caveat that all special teams clauses are LTBE. I don't know how it applies to rookie contacts. HAve to assume they'd be NLTBE.

more cowbell
02-22-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm guessing this is mostly to free up immediate cap room to use the Franchise tag on Johnson.

If McGee is still not 100 percent in camp, I can't see how he makes the roster...

more cowbell
02-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Updating a previous item, Bills CB Terrence McGee's (patella tendon surgery) "restructured" contract is actually a brand new two-year deal.

As opposed to a restructuring, McGee lowered each of his final two base salaries and received a $300,000 signing bonus. His 2012 salary is now $1.35 million, and McGee can make $1.75 million in salary in 2013. Per Scout.com's Aaron Wilson, McGee will earn just over $4 million if he makes the Bills' roster in both seasons. Now being paid like a nickel back, McGee's 2012 salary cap number was lowered from $6.3 million this year to $3.78 million.

Source: Rotoworld

YardRat
02-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Good deal, anything that can free up some dollars just prior to FA can't be bad.

Mr. Pink
02-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Should have just cut his ass. He's an injury prone, diminished skill, hasbeen.

BertSquirtgum
02-22-2012, 07:12 PM
why do the Bills still want this bum on the team? he hasn't seen the field for a full season in four years. what a colossal waste of money.

The Jokeman
02-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Terrence McGee received a $300,000 signing bonus and his base salary is now $1.35 million for 2012, per a league source. From Aaron Wilson twitter

The bills save about 2 million in base salary for this season
Stevie wanted $7.5 million with a long term deal and the franchise figure for WRs is $9.5 million for 1 year, hmmmm I wonder.

TigerJ
02-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Sounds like a bit of insurance for the Bills. McGee probably was given a choice, accept the restructuring or get cut.

BertSquirtgum
02-22-2012, 09:00 PM
They should have just cut him. Put a fork in him, he's done.

mikemac2001
02-23-2012, 12:38 AM
this is a normal deal

mcgee is a bill he knows he hasn't produced the past few years took a pay cut but will be payed if he plays like he can

this isnt a bad deal...if he gets hurt bills are covered...cant find solid corners for that much

ddaryl
02-23-2012, 07:22 AM
McGee at a lower rate would make a good depth move. Now we have a couple million to go out and get a FA CB.

Cali512
02-23-2012, 11:47 AM
I think McGee knows that this is the only team that he still will be able to get playing time. Any other team is looking for younger CBs (especially with alot available) no one wants an old 5-9 CB whos always injured......cept buffalo :)

ddaryl
02-23-2012, 12:04 PM
what would we have had in dead cap money if we just cut him compared to the restructure ???

that would be curious to know.

Meathead
02-23-2012, 12:54 PM
i doublt mcgee even makes the team. its obvious they told him either restructure and get a chance at a roster spot in the fall or we cut you before you earn another penny on that old contract. the only way he stays on the team is if they dont find something better, which frankly is unlikely. yeah he can probably be a decent cb3/4 - for the three games he actually plays. they are far more likely to give his roster spot to a mid round pick or middle tier free agent just to avoid the considerable re-injury risk

Cali512
02-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Ok i dont think McGee would willingly change his contract if the staff gave him any idea that he would be cut. You dont restructure a deal then cut the guy, and no player will sign a contract knowing that. Nix and Gailey probably told him he will be on the team and promised him. Also McGee players 6-8 games a year and does very well. But McKelvin and Florence in the game suck, and are mismatches. You cant have mismatches, so we need to replace them. McGee at least can hold his own, so hes not setting our team back being out there when he can

mybills
02-24-2012, 08:34 AM
@buffalobills #Bills & CB Terrence McGee 2day agreed on a restructured contract
:clap:

better days
02-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Ok i dont think McGee would willingly change his contract if the staff gave him any idea that he would be cut. You dont restructure a deal then cut the guy, and no player will sign a contract knowing that. Nix and Gailey probably told him he will be on the team and promised him. Also McGee players 6-8 games a year and does very well. But McKelvin and Florence in the game suck, and are mismatches. You cant have mismatches, so we need to replace them. McGee at least can hold his own, so hes not setting our team back being out there when he can

He was probably told..........restructure or you will be cut. I doubt he gets cut but if he does not stay healthy, he won't be paid.