X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yasgur's Farm
    • Feb 2005

2011 Cap Has Been Rolled Over

Doesn't look like cap will get in the way of us being a player in FA... Let's wait and see if any other obstacles start falling by the wayside.
  • nolimit
    Member of the Official Drew Bledsoe Truce!
    • Aug 2003

Bills have rolled over their cap from last year

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Re: 2011 Cap Has Been Rolled Over

Nice.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ddaryl
        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
        • Jan 2005

now go spend money like a drunken sailor in a whore house

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

They will have to be careful because the CBA doesn't allow them to do this every year, so their cap number will go down in the out years for any contracts they sign now.

Still, this is a good thing. That amount of cap space will give them the option to sign some guys on front-loaded contracts, which is how they usually do business anyway.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by OpIv37
            They will have to be careful because the CBA doesn't allow them to do this every year, so their cap number will go down in the out years for any contracts they sign now.

Still, this is a good thing. That amount of cap space will give them the option to sign some guys on front-loaded contracts, which is how they usually do business anyway.

This is not what I've read..........can you provide a link?

The new CBA eliminated the bogus LTBE's and now allows teams to transfer unused cap space simply by filing paperwork. I have not read that this provision expires

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
              This is not what I've read..........can you provide a link?

The new CBA eliminated the bogus LTBE's and now allows teams to transfer unused cap space simply by filing paperwork. I have not read that this provision expires
              eh, somebody posted it on here somewhere and I'm too lazy to dig it up.

But, anyway, it's somewhat irrelevant as to whether it expires, because if they spend to the cap this year, then they won't have leftover cap to roll over next year, even if they are technically permitted to.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• methos4ever
                • Apr 2004

They can borrow off of future caps with limits OP, but they can continue to roll over ad infinitum I believe.

Also, by 2013/2014, the new tv money will kick in and the cap will explode to 140 ish per last estimates, so they should be fine.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                  • Jul 2003

Originally posted by methos4ever
                  Also, by 2013/2014, the new tv money will kick in and the cap will explode to 140 ish per last estimates, so they should be fine.
                  Plus, but that time the minimum spending limit kicks in as well.

With the new TV contracts, revenue will grow quite a bit and the cap will be going up. Cap issues shouldn't be a big problem for most teams.

In the end, it isn't how much is spent by how well it is spent.

Comment

• Ed
                    Dude
                    • Sep 2002

This is great news! I have to admit I was feeling a little skeptical about the Bills actually doing this. I thought they might try to pull some stunt where they don't roll over the extra money so that they could say they spent to the cap. Now if we do spend to the cap like they said they would, we should be significant players in free agency. There's really no excuse to not re-sign Stevie now. They could re-sign him and still go after another good WR and a top pass rusher. I know they probably can't pull that off, but they should at least try.

If they released Dwan Edwards and Florence they could save 8 million, which could absorb the cap hit for Stevie's new deal and still have $30+ million when free agency starts.

Make it happen Nix!

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by methos4ever
                      They can borrow off of future caps with limits OP, but they can continue to roll over ad infinitum I believe.

they can continue to roll over IF there is something to roll over. If they actually spend to the cap for once, there won't be anything to roll over.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Ed
                        Dude
                        • Sep 2002

You have to also keep in mind that the cap should increase each year going forward and that expiring contracts will come off the books. Like you said though, the added space this year will allow them to front load contracts more, decreasing the cap hit on those contracts in future years. So they still need to structure smart contracts, but they can definitely be aggressive this year in free agency if they want.

Comment

• Meathead
                          Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                          • Jul 2002

ralph is cheap
                          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• stuckincincy
                            Buffalo Bills Fan
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                            http://mobile.buffalorumblings.com/2...lls-salary-cap

Doesn't look like cap will get in the way of us being a player in FA... Let's wait and see if any other obstacles start falling by the wayside.
                            Looks like inflation to me.

So the pool of available money rises (think about gov't pumping medicine and education full of printed money and how costs skyrocketed).

My guess is that players/agents will demand more $.
                            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• BLeonard
                              BoB Sabermetrician
                              • Jan 2003

Good to read... But, rolling the cap money over doesn't mean that they will use it...

I'm pleased that they did roll it over, but that's only step one. Step two is spending it on players that make the team better.

-Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X