PDA

View Full Version : Nix shoots down report Bills definitely won't tag Johnson; says it's an option

Coach Sal
02-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Speaking in a 1-on-1 with WGR's Joe Buscaglia. Exact quote was:

"You know everything's an option. I read in the paper or somebody sent it to me the other day that we definitely were not going to tag him. I don't know who they talked to, I'd like to talk to them maybe see what we're gonna do with some of those other guys. So I dont know who the source was but they don't know, I can promise you that. Again, that's an option we've got until Mar 5 to decide."

You can hear the whole interview Joe posted here:

http://wgr550.com/pages/12022322.php?pid=220081

DraftBoy
02-24-2012, 09:59 AM
The Whaley quote from his chat, doesn't fit with Joe's interview.

justasportsfan
02-24-2012, 10:07 AM
So I dont know who the source was

Pat Moran? :idunno:

better days
02-24-2012, 10:10 AM
I posted before that "league sources" don't know spit about what the Bills front office will do.

k-oneputt
02-24-2012, 10:17 AM
The Bills front office doesn't know what it's going to do.

Ed
02-24-2012, 10:25 AM
The Whaley quote from his chat, doesn't fit with Joe's interview.
It sounded to me like Whaley said something similar in his chat. That their preference is to sign Stevie to a long term deal and that's their focus right now, but the tag is still an option.

k-oneputt
02-24-2012, 10:34 AM
It sounded to me like Whaley said something similar in his chat. That their preference is to sign Stevie to a long term deal and that's their focus right now, but the tag is still an option.

This is exactly what should happen. Try to get the long-term deal done and if not he get's the tag for the year.
If they just let him walk they are just telling everyone, fans and the players, that they are really not trying to win. They have the money to spend so get it done.

And if he does get tagged I really don't care if Stevie doesn't like it. That's the way it goes and works.

Oaf
02-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Didn't Stevie's agent say that?

Forward_Lateral
02-24-2012, 10:52 AM
They'd be freaking morons to say they weren't going to tag Stevie, as that would give him a major advantage in negotiations.

DraftBoy
02-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Let's keep in mind multiple places have reported the Bills won't tag Stevie including PFT and Rodney McKissic of the Buffalo News.

That's not say Buddy is right or that the reports are right. Just pointing out some main stream reports have said the same thing.

DraftBoy
02-24-2012, 10:55 AM

To me the way he phrased made it seem like "well its an option of course, but we're not really looking at it"

Forward_Lateral
02-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Let's keep in mind multiple places have reported the Bills won't tag Stevie including PFT and Rodney McKissic of the Buffalo News.

That's not say Buddy is right or that the reports are right. Just pointing out some main stream reports have said the same thing.

He may fully intend not to use it, but he's being smart by denying those rumours, IMO.

DraftBoy
02-24-2012, 11:00 AM
He may fully intend not to use it, but he's being smart by denying those rumours, IMO.

Absolutely agreed. Just seeing people jumping to the conclusion that those reports are now wrong which is not the case.

Coach Sal
02-24-2012, 11:00 AM

I think PFT simply referenced Rod's report, not reported it themselves?!

For what it's worth, they did the same for Joe's interview today.

Meathead
02-24-2012, 11:29 AM
They'd be freaking morons to say they weren't going to tag Stevie, as that would give him a major advantage in negotiations.
which is why that recent reporting was always obviously bogus. buddy already said that if their demand was 7.5 it would be done already, and the tag has been reported to be 9.3. so why in the world would you not risk spending 2 mil more for only a one year commitment when you know that the tag puts a ton of pressure on the player? only a very small percentage of players ever actually play under the tag cuz they know one serious injury and they could lose twenty-thirty-forty million dollars or more. a long term deal with guarantees is what any player wants and getting tagged sucks which is why players usually get mad when they get tagged. the bills just surrendering that leverage was always ridiculous

ddaryl
02-24-2012, 11:39 AM
The Bills front office doesn't know what it's going to do.

I would of agreed pre-Nix, but I still think Nix/Whaley and Gailey definitely have a clue.

I know we imploded last year, but our depth haunted us and we all know we still need a few key acquisitions. Rebuliding a decade of ineptness with a full roster purge and the fact that Buffalo is not super attractive to top FA"s means it will take longer.

alohabillsfan
02-24-2012, 11:40 AM
There may be multiple "sources" but most just regurgitate the same *****.

ddaryl
02-24-2012, 11:41 AM

the old saying "if I read it on the intranets it must be true" applies here.

I have a hard time fully believing anythign that comes out through these blog or sub-sports sites.

For all we know is Steve's agent grease a few people to post this to stir up a fan protest to put pressure on management to get Stevie a better deal...

better days
02-24-2012, 12:08 PM

Yeah, Mike Florio often gives his OPINION & he is on the radio EVERYWHERE now. On WEDG up in Buffalo & on WDAE down here in Tampa but when they report the news on profootballtalk.com it is just a reference 99.9% of the time.

DraftBoy
02-24-2012, 12:18 PM

Good correction on the PFT part, I did see they linked Joe's interview.

DraftBoy
02-24-2012, 12:19 PM
the old saying "if I read it on the intranets it must be true" applies here.

I have a hard time fully believing anythign that comes out through these blog or sub-sports sites.

For all we know is Steve's agent grease a few people to post this to stir up a fan protest to put pressure on management to get Stevie a better deal...

I believe Rodney's article was in the print edition.

ddaryl
02-24-2012, 12:27 PM
I believe Rodney's article was in the print edition.

Didn't know that but I stick by my intended point.. Much of this stuff is purposely passed on spin or lies by agents players,and teams trying to gain the upper hand via the media

YardRat
02-24-2012, 01:10 PM

Multiple sources = multiple dumbasses.

Nobody knows anything that either the team or the agent want them to know, or something that somebody simply made up.

k-oneputt
02-24-2012, 01:27 PM
I would of agreed pre-Nix, but I still think Nix/Whaley and Gailey definitely have a clue.

I know we imploded last year, but our depth haunted us and we all know we still need a few key acquisitions. Rebuliding a decade of ineptness with a full roster purge and the fact that Buffalo is not super attractive to top FA"s means it will take longer.

I liked Nix's last draft.
That 2010 draft taking a rb at #9 and his small school wonders sucked, but I do give him some leeway since that idiot Modrak and his band of loser scouts were still here.

mrbojanglezs
02-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Nix nixed it