PDA

View Full Version : I have to post this

Cali512
02-24-2012, 02:12 PM
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/23/ranking-the-2011-offensive-lines-part-2/

DE 1st round, WR 2nd, 4-3OLB 3rd

Cali512
02-24-2012, 02:13 PM
I understand the Offense we run. But either way, thats one helluva nice stat. Not only that but, run 12th, pass rank 2nd.

stuckincincy
02-24-2012, 02:25 PM
I understand the Offense we run. But either way, thats one helluva nice stat. Not only that but, run 12th, pass rank 2nd.

Pyrrhic victory.

12th season out of the money.

Cali512
02-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Dinky-dink, quick short pass game...how hard is it to block for two seconds?

I was waiting for this. If our passing game really took 2 seconds, then how did our QB get nearly 4000 yards and if our WRs outside of Johnson are so bad, how did they get open in less than 2 seconds?

stuckincincy
02-24-2012, 02:31 PM
I was waiting for this. If our passing game really took 2 seconds, then how did our QB get nearly 4000 yards and if our WRs outside of Johnson are so bad, how did they get open in less than 2 seconds?

The great line play forged the way to a mighty 6 and 10 record.

NFL 2010+ rules - players who in years past wouldn't make a cut, now gain 1,000+ yards receiving.

JCBills
02-24-2012, 02:34 PM
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/23/ranking-the-2011-offensive-lines-part-2/

DE 1st round, WR 2nd, 4-3OLB 3rd

I'd say flip WR and OLB.

Cali512
02-24-2012, 02:38 PM
You are right. The great line play forged the way to a mighty 6 and 10 record. So it was a big plus.

This is NFL 2011 - players who in years past wouldn't make a cut, now gain 1,000+ yards receiving.

The Giants were 31st ranked dumbass. Record doesnt matter, so Jackson and Spiller suck bc we only were 6-10?

Cali512
02-24-2012, 02:41 PM
I'd say flip WR and OLB.

Its not that hard to find a decent OLB on a 4-3 team. It will be pretty tough to find a starting WR in the 3rd. I give you if its the small Parrish type of WR, id say the 3rd and OLB in 2nd. But if we are lookin for the big strong catch when hes not open, id rather find one in the 2nd, and test my luck with a OLB in 3rd

stuckincincy
02-24-2012, 02:46 PM
The Giants were 31st ranked dumbass. Record doesnt matter, so Jackson and Spiller suck bc we only were 6-10?

Calm down, Cali.

Your support of players is noted, appreciated, but at the end of the day, it is the record that matters.

Pax.

ddaryl
02-24-2012, 02:47 PM
If we can upgrade our OT position and have better depth with Bell and Hairston then I am all for it. We can get better on the OL, and I would not be upset if we took an OT in round #1

Much of our late season O woes did come down to lack of depth on the OL, and not having any real legitimate #2 WR threats, as well as our D giving up 30+ points way to often, and forcing our O to take chances just ot stay in games

alohabillsfan
02-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Id say wait till after FA, De wont be a need after the Bills sign De's Mathis and Mario! OK, Nap times over....

stuckincincy
02-24-2012, 02:54 PM
If we can upgrade our OT position and have better depth with Bell and Hairston then I am all for it. We can get better on the OL, and I would not be upset if we took an OT in round #1

Much of our late season O woes did come down to lack of depth on the OL, and not having any real legitimate #2 WR threats, as well as our D giving up 30+ points way to often, and forcing our O to take chances just ot stay in games

Never wrong to roll the dice for a OL, IMO.

I'm with you re a #2. The rules changes dictate passes - we've all seen the rise of TEs and certainly seen the Bills getting burned by TEs - they are not alone - I see the same thing here in CIN.

I'm wondering if nowdays, a team with wr needs might be better served by a sure-handed "traditional" #2, over a speedy "1."

JCBills
02-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Its not that hard to find a decent OLB on a 4-3 team. It will be pretty tough to find a starting WR in the 3rd. I give you if its the small Parrish type of WR, id say the 3rd and OLB in 2nd. But if we are lookin for the big strong catch when hes not open, id rather find one in the 2nd, and test my luck with a OLB in 3rd

It is very hard to find a decent OLB on a 4-3 team.

If it wasn't Keith Ellison wouldn't have been starting.

This is a deep WR class with big bodies all the way through.

This is also a good OLB class, but the top end talent is freakish. Guys like Zach Brown, Nigel Bradham, and Lavonte David look like playmakers.

stuckincincy
02-24-2012, 03:33 PM
It is very hard to find a decent OLB on a 4-3 team.

If it wasn't Keith Ellison wouldn't have been starting.

This is a deep WR class with big bodies all the way through.

This is also a good OLB class, but the top end talent is freakish. Guys like Zach Brown, Nigel Bradham, and Lavonte David look like playmakers.

I wonder how Ellison is doing these days?

Faults and features, the Bills got their money's worth out of the 6th rounder. IMO, he gave 'em what he had to the best of his ability.

I wish him well.

better days
02-24-2012, 06:14 PM

Well, I would HATE an OT at #10 DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE that is what the Bills need far more than anything.

YardRat
02-24-2012, 06:57 PM
I think this one deserves an award from TigerJ...

Buffalo Bills – OT – Cordy Glenn – Like their divisional foes down south, the Bills are rumored to be going to a 4-3 as well. They could look for a true 4-3 end, pass rusher. Even after drafting a cornerback fairly early last year, a top tier talent at the position isn’t out of the question. But, the Bills have two very skilled backs that performed well in 2011, despite injuries cross the offensive line. Demetrius Bell is also a free agent and Buffalo gave Ryan Fitzpatrick a fat, new contract. So, why not give him a fat, new left tackle. Due to Glenn carrying 350 pounds and playing offensive guard in the past, some seem to think that’s where he’ll play in the NFL. He’s a left tackle and one of the best prospects. Actually, he could remind Bills fans of a very big and athletic tackle they traded to Philly, Jason Peters. Sounds crazy? Remember, Peters was undrafted and played tight end in college. (Vinny Curry or Dre Kirkpatrick or Kendall Wright)

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/nfl/49ers/2012-nfl-mock-draft-v20-picks-1-32

mayotm
02-25-2012, 07:22 AM
Calm down, Cali.

Your support of players is noted, appreciated, but at the end of the day, it is the record that matters.

Pax.Everybody knows what their record was. However, a team's record doesn't necessarily reflect how a specific unit or player performed. The offensive line was significantly better than the past several years. Regardless of the style of passing game. I don't think anybody in this thread is suggesting that a 6 - 10 record is good enough. Rather, several people are pointing out the improved play of the offensive line. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that.

Philagape
02-25-2012, 09:35 AM
I was waiting for this. If our passing game really took 2 seconds, then how did our QB get nearly 4000 yards

By completing a lot of short passes. The Bills were 10th in the league in completions, but 28th in yards per completion.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2011/

and if our WRs outside of Johnson are so bad, how did they get open in less than 2 seconds?

Because they weren't really open and got few yards after the catch.

Philagape
02-25-2012, 09:44 AM
In air yards per attempt, Fitz was 37th in the league!

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2012/01/air-yards-2011.html

The Bills' passing yards (which around the middle of the league) were inflated by YAC by Stevie and the RBs.

Night Train
02-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Levitre was a great pick after Wood. This also shows that one of those Blue Chip LT's that are ranked right around the Bills slot at #10 would be a wise selection in April and I'm well aware of the DE/OLB need ( don't reach ).

Bell likes the IR and Hariston looks like a RT/backup type to me.

The Jokeman
02-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Levitre was a great pick after Wood. This also shows that one of those Blue Chip LT's that are ranked right around the Bills slot at #10 would be a wise selection in April and I'm well aware of the DE/OLB need ( don't reach ).

Bell likes the IR and Hariston looks like a RT/backup type to me.
If we re-sign Bell I think the need for LT drops significantly. As yes he's an question mark to stay healthy but that's why we have Hairston to be a swing OT off the bench. We coudl also sign a veteran backup. One name that might be worth considering is Trai Essex who's played T and Center for the Steelers. Not a great player by any means but at least give us some depth. Yet I'd still look to take an OT somewhere in the draft. Possibly in the 4th or 5th since we have two picks in each round.

better days
02-25-2012, 12:07 PM
If we re-sign Bell I think the need for LT drops significantly. As yes he's an question mark to stay healthy but that's why we have Hairston to be a swing OT off the bench. We coudl also sign a veteran backup. One name that might be worth considering is Trai Essex who's played T and Center for the Steelers. Not a great player by any means but at least give us some depth. Yet I'd still look to take an OT somewhere in the draft. Possibly in the 4th or 5th since we have two picks in each round.

Just as I think Stevie will get done, I think Bell will get done as well. I would be fine drafting OL in the 4th or 5th, but NOT in the 1st.

Cali512
02-25-2012, 01:05 PM
What we need is a OT whos a vet, who doesnt have to be great, just can stay healthy and do his job.

Extremebillsfan247
02-25-2012, 01:10 PM
I was waiting for this. If our passing game really took 2 seconds, then how did our QB get nearly 4000 yards and if our WRs outside of Johnson are so bad, how did they get open in less than 2 seconds?By Fitz being 6th in the league in pass attempts with 569? Just a random guess. This was after all a pass first offense, or at least that's the identity Gailey had been looking for it to be.

Extremebillsfan247
02-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Just as I think Stevie will get done, I think Bell will get done as well. I would be fine drafting OL in the 4th or 5th, but NOT in the 1st.So, if Matt Kalil was there at 10 which he wont be, you would pass on him because he's an Olineman? He is arguably the 2nd best prospect in this draft behind Andrew Luck. Just making a point. It doesn't matter what position he plays, in the top 10 of the draft, you have to try and get the best talent available. JMO

better days
02-25-2012, 10:15 PM
So, if Matt Kalil was there at 10 which he wont be, you would pass on him because he's an Olineman? He is arguably the 2nd best prospect in this draft behind Andrew Luck. Just making a point. It doesn't matter what position he plays, in the top 10 of the draft, you have to try and get the best talent available. JMO

I disagree about position not making a difference. NO RB should be drafted in the top 10. The Bucs made that mistake with Caddy Williams, even if Spiller pans out, look at the players the Bills could have drafted instead of him.

Mike Williams at #4. Who is to say Kalil won't bust like Williams did?

Extremebillsfan247
02-26-2012, 06:52 AM
I disagree about position not making a difference. NO RB should be drafted in the top 10. The Bucs made that mistake with Caddy Williams, even if Spiller pans out, look at the players the Bills could have drafted instead of him.

Mike Williams at #4. Who is to say Kalil won't bust like Williams did?

You could ask that question about any prospect in this years draft. Until it becomes a hindsight issue, no one really knows how a prospect is going to pan out. It's all guess work up to the point where that prospect has the opportunity to prove his worth. Of course, I'm not a big fan of drafting RB, and Oline early either. But every once in awhile there's going to be one there that you would almost be silly to pass on. It's rare but it happens.

Closing that door of possibility because the position that prospect plays has a history of failing when picked high in the draft means eventually passing on a talent that can ultimately help your team. That's why I question the motive behind not wanting to pick a prospect at 10 because he happens to play RB, WR, OL, etc. I hope that makes sense.

better days
02-26-2012, 02:47 PM
You could ask that question about any prospect in this years draft. Until it becomes a hindsight issue, no one really knows how a prospect is going to pan out. It's all guess work up to the point where that prospect has the opportunity to prove his worth. Of course, I'm not a big fan of drafting RB, and Oline early either. But every once in awhile there's going to be one there that you would almost be silly to pass on. It's rare but it happens.

Closing that door of possibility because the position that prospect plays has a history of failing when picked high in the draft means eventually passing on a talent that can ultimately help your team. That's why I question the motive behind not wanting to pick a prospect at 10 because he happens to play RB, WR, OL, etc. I hope that makes sense.

I get what you are saying, but once in a while people draw to an inside straight. PURE LUCK. I would rather not waste my money 99% of the time by throwing it into the pot with a hand like that.

I just think GOOD OL & RBs can be had later in the draft. I would rather pick DL, OLB, CB before an OL or RB myself.