• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Pass protectors at top of board

The Buffalo Bills currently have a left tackle situation that is a bit unresolved. Demetrius Bell has not re-signed and Chris Hairston isn’t long on experience. Buffalo is making efforts to re-sign Bell, and they believe Hairston will continue to improve, but with the crop of offensive tackles at the top of the draft board this year the Bills have multiple avenues in which to address the line’s most critical position.

“We’re going to draft a tackle if we can, if there’s one there is what I mean,” he (Nix) said. “If there’s one there that we think can play we’re going to draft a tackle. You can never have too many tackles. You can move a guy. It’s easier to move a guy from tackle to guard than guard to tackle obviously. So we draft tackles. We’re in pretty good shape at guard and center.”
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • tampabay25690
    • Feb 2004

Re: Pass protectors at top of board

The ideal situation is to sign Bell.
    I think this guy still has the talent to be very good, last year he was good until injury bug hit him again.
    SIgn him and still draft a OT so we have some depth on this team.
    We saw last year are starters across the board were better then years before but the depth is what we need to build now.....
    Depth and talent wins in this league.

I still have no idea where the Bills will go at #10 but I wouldnt be surprised at all if we trade out and get more picks then trade other picks to get back in the 1st...
    GO Gators!!!!!!
    GO GATORS!!

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

LT at #10 might represent the best value

I like the fact that the trenches are fully on the Bills radar

Comment

• tampabay25690
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ddaryl
        LT at #10 might represent the best value

I like the fact that the trenches are fully on the Bills radar
        If we grab a LT at #10 I don't think any of us would be mad...
        Smart pick and adds depth...
        Do you think we should sign Bell??
        GO Gators!!!!!!
        GO GATORS!!

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by tampabay25690
          All of the Madden-lickers would jump off a cliff.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• ddaryl
            • Jan 2005

Yeah we should sign Bell, but hopefully to a contract that makes him just as keepable as a utility man depth guy if we can grab a solid starting LT at #10

Comment

• tampabay25690
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ddaryl
              Yeah we should sign Bell, but hopefully to a contract that makes him just as keepable as a utility man depth guy if we can grab a solid starting LT at #10
              Yes I agree but I think Starting money.
              I think he is a viable LT on the Bills.
              I dont think he will break the bank and I think its reasonable.
              GO Gators!!!!!!
              GO GATORS!!

Comment

• tampabay25690
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by YardRat
                All of the Madden-lickers would jump off a cliff.
                I think some are actually seeing the light.
                There might not be that 4-3 DE mold that the Bills are looking for....
                Would I be surprised if we drafted Upshaw or Ingram, ABSOLUTLEY not.....
                But do I see the Bills going in another direction absolutely YES.

Wouldnt surprise me 1 sec if the Bills add 1-2 DE guys in Free agency.
                If they focus on that then we know finally they know the weakness of this team.

I think the DE prospects that are 2nd round and later are close to the #2 and #3 guys.....

1 name I keep hearing alot of with the Bills at DE is kid out of Illini.....
                Whitney Mercilus some will get scared because he was a 1 year wonder and out of the Big Ten. We know another guy that was a 1 year wonder out of the Big Ten.

6'4 265 has great speed outside off the edge and a perfect fit for a 4-3 DE.
                Lead the nation with 16 sacks in 2011, he actually reminds me of the guy he beat all the records for at Illinois SIMEON RICE.

They are comparing Mercilus to Jason Pierre Paul.......
                GO Gators!!!!!!
                GO GATORS!!

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

I think some are actually seeing the light.
                  There might not be that 4-3 DE mold that the Bills are looking for....
                  Would I be surprised if we drafted Upshaw or Ingram, ABSOLUTLEY not.....
                  But do I see the Bills going in another direction absolutely YES.

Wouldnt surprise me 1 sec if the Bills add 1-2 DE guys in Free agency.
                  If they focus on that then we know finally they know the weakness of this team.

I think the DE prospects that are 2nd round and later are close to the #2 and #3 guys.....

1 name I keep hearing alot of with the Bills at DE is kid out of Illini.....
                  Whitney Mercilus some will get scared because he was a 1 year wonder and out of the Big Ten. We know another guy that was a 1 year wonder out of the Big Ten.

6'4 265 has great speed outside off the edge and a perfect fit for a 4-3 DE.
                  Lead the nation with 16 sacks in 2011, he actually reminds me of the guy he beat all the records for at Illinois SIMEON RICE.

They are comparing Mercilus to Jason Pierre Paul.......
                  Illinois’ Mercilus says Bills showing “a lot of interest” in him

Speaking in front of assembled reporters Saturday at the Combine, Illinois defensive end Whitney Mercilus revealed that the Buffalo Bills have "showed interest ... a lot of interest" in last year's NCAA sacks leader, according to Joe Buscaglia of WGR 550.

Speaking in front of assembled reporters Saturday at the Combine, Illinois defensive end Whitney Mercilus revealed that the Buffalo Bills have “showed interest … a lot of interest” in last year’s NCAA sacks leader, according to Joe Buscaglia of WGR 550.

Mercilus also named the Chargers and Bears as teams with which he’s been in touch.

In addition to tying Simeon Rice’s school record for sacks in 2011, the fourth-year junior Mercilus led Division I college football with nine forced fumbles. He paced the Big Ten in tackles for a loss (22.5) and earned the Ted Hendricks Award as the nation’s top defensive end.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                    • Feb 2005

Although I'm in favor of re-signing Bell, I have to keep in mind that he had micro fracture surgery on at least 1 knee.

I'm not an expert... But from what I've read, micro fracture surgery is a pretty iffy thing. He basically had no cartilage left. To my understanding, they cut and scraped the ends of the knee bones in an effort to cultivate some back.

The Bills may know something here as to his short term availability as well as his expected length of career. If the Bills know, the rest of the league knows too. His price tag will probably be in the $3-4M range at best.
                    Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 02-26-2012, 08:11 AM.

Comment

• tampabay25690
                      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by YardRat
                      Illinois’ Mercilus says Bills showing “a lot of interest” in him

Speaking in front of assembled reporters Saturday at the Combine, Illinois defensive end Whitney Mercilus revealed that the Buffalo Bills have "showed interest ... a lot of interest" in last year's NCAA sacks leader, according to Joe Buscaglia of WGR 550.

Speaking in front of assembled reporters Saturday at the Combine, Illinois defensive end Whitney Mercilus revealed that the Buffalo Bills have “showed interest … a lot of interest” in last year’s NCAA sacks leader, according to Joe Buscaglia of WGR 550.

Mercilus also named the Chargers and Bears as teams with which he’s been in touch.

In addition to tying Simeon Rice’s school record for sacks in 2011, the fourth-year junior Mercilus led Division I college football with nine forced fumbles. He paced the Big Ten in tackles for a loss (22.5) and earned the Ted Hendricks Award as the nation’s top defensive end.
                      Do some research on this guy and Im starting to luv everything about him.
                      He reminds me of jason Pierre Paul so much its not even funny.
                      I actually saw Pierre Paul play at USF and workout at the same Gym I did.....
                      So I know first hand what he was capable of.

This could be a risk the Bills take and be a huge reward.

Remember last year when SF took Aldon Smith????
                      I guess that worked out ok for them...
                      GO Gators!!!!!!
                      GO GATORS!!

Comment

• tampabay25690
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                        Although I'm in favor of re-signing Bell, I have to keep in mind that he had micro fracture surgery on at least 1 knee.

I'm not an expert... But from what I've red, micro fracture surgery is a pretty iffy thing. He basically had no cartilage left. To my understanding, they cut and scraped the ends of the knee bones in an effort to cultivate some back.

The Bills may know something here as to his short term availability as well as his expected length of career. If the Bills know, the rest of the league knows too. His price tag will probably be in the $3-4M range at best.
                        I was thinking the same $$$ you are..
                        GO Gators!!!!!!
                        GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

If we drafted say Martin from Stanford or Adams from Ohio St. at #10 to start at LT, I'd be happy as a drunk at an open bar. That would signify that the Bills are finally getting it when adding quality talent without reaching at certain positions of need.

If that's where the value is, you don't reach at DE or OLB...which I'm well aware is a big need. I'm sure that won't be ignored in FA or on draft weekend.

Bell cannot stay healthy and may not be in the Bills plans at all. Hariston isn't that athletic and looks like a RT or swing backup. There is nothing wrong with solidifying an OL which played like crap for years and then showed real promise last year. This would finish off a OL that could stay together for a few years. We like.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• ddaryl
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm

I'm not an expert... But from what I've read, micro fracture surgery is a pretty iffy thing. He basically had no cartilage left. To my understanding, they cut and scraped the ends of the knee bones in an effort to cultivate some back.

If this is true, then he really has no business playing football. He is already guaranteed to be in need of a knee replacement, and the arthritic pain that is going to set in will be huge.

A knee without cartilage just can not sustain the grueling punishment of a pro football player

Comment

• Ed
                              Dude
                              • Sep 2002

I'm not opposed to re-signing Bell. I've always been a fan of the guy, but at the end of the day it really just comes down to cost. And with his injury concerns and what not, it just seems difficult to gauge what his value is right now to us or another team.

Comment

Working...
                              X