PDA

View Full Version : Pass protectors at top of board

YardRat
02-26-2012, 07:09 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Pass-protectors-at-top-of-board/81beef90-cfd2-4d82-a064-f25acbcf3ca5

The Buffalo Bills currently have a left tackle situation that is a bit unresolved. <nobr>Demetrius Bellhttp://www.buffalobills.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/demetrius-bell/6ed4b1bf-1e11-41cb-a771-df5e08173b22/)</nobr> has not re-signed and <nobr>Chris Hairstonhttp://www.buffalobills.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/chris-hairston/192733a0-4670-4e2e-854b-5a8557a5e37d/)</nobr> isn’t long on experience. Buffalo is making efforts to re-sign Bell, and they believe Hairston will continue to improve, but with the crop of offensive tackles at the top of the draft board this year the Bills have multiple avenues in which to address the line’s most critical position.

“We’re going to draft a tackle if we can, if there’s one there is what I mean,” he (Nix) said. “If there’s one there that we think can play we’re going to draft a tackle. You can never have too many tackles. You can move a guy. It’s easier to move a guy from tackle to guard than guard to tackle obviously. So we draft tackles. We’re in pretty good shape at guard and center.”

tampabay25690
02-26-2012, 07:20 AM
The ideal situation is to sign Bell.
I think this guy still has the talent to be very good, last year he was good until injury bug hit him again.
SIgn him and still draft a OT so we have some depth on this team.
We saw last year are starters across the board were better then years before but the depth is what we need to build now.....
Depth and talent wins in this league.

I still have no idea where the Bills will go at #10 but I wouldnt be surprised at all if we trade out and get more picks then trade other picks to get back in the 1st...

ddaryl
02-26-2012, 07:21 AM
LT at #10 might represent the best value

I like the fact that the trenches are fully on the Bills radar

tampabay25690
02-26-2012, 07:29 AM
LT at #10 might represent the best value

I like the fact that the trenches are fully on the Bills radar

If we grab a LT at #10 I don't think any of us would be mad...
Smart pick and adds depth...
Do you think we should sign Bell??

YardRat
02-26-2012, 07:30 AM

All of the Madden-lickers would jump off a cliff.

ddaryl
02-26-2012, 07:34 AM

Yeah we should sign Bell, but hopefully to a contract that makes him just as keepable as a utility man depth guy if we can grab a solid starting LT at #10

tampabay25690
02-26-2012, 07:38 AM
Yeah we should sign Bell, but hopefully to a contract that makes him just as keepable as a utility man depth guy if we can grab a solid starting LT at #10

Yes I agree but I think Starting money.
I think he is a viable LT on the Bills.
I dont think he will break the bank and I think its reasonable.

tampabay25690
02-26-2012, 07:47 AM
All of the Madden-lickers would jump off a cliff.

I think some are actually seeing the light.
There might not be that 4-3 DE mold that the Bills are looking for....
Would I be surprised if we drafted Upshaw or Ingram, ABSOLUTLEY not.....
But do I see the Bills going in another direction absolutely YES.

Wouldnt surprise me 1 sec if the Bills add 1-2 DE guys in Free agency.
If they focus on that then we know finally they know the weakness of this team.

I think the DE prospects that are 2nd round and later are close to the #2 and #3 guys.....

1 name I keep hearing alot of with the Bills at DE is kid out of Illini.....
Whitney Mercilus some will get scared because he was a 1 year wonder and out of the Big Ten. We know another guy that was a 1 year wonder out of the Big Ten.

6'4 265 has great speed outside off the edge and a perfect fit for a 4-3 DE.
Lead the nation with 16 sacks in 2011, he actually reminds me of the guy he beat all the records for at Illinois SIMEON RICE.

They are comparing Mercilus to Jason Pierre Paul.......

YardRat
02-26-2012, 07:51 AM
I think some are actually seeing the light.
There might not be that 4-3 DE mold that the Bills are looking for....
Would I be surprised if we drafted Upshaw or Ingram, ABSOLUTLEY not.....
But do I see the Bills going in another direction absolutely YES.

Wouldnt surprise me 1 sec if the Bills add 1-2 DE guys in Free agency.
If they focus on that then we know finally they know the weakness of this team.

I think the DE prospects that are 2nd round and later are close to the #2 and #3 guys.....

1 name I keep hearing alot of with the Bills at DE is kid out of Illini.....
Whitney Mercilus some will get scared because he was a 1 year wonder and out of the Big Ten. We know another guy that was a 1 year wonder out of the Big Ten.

6'4 265 has great speed outside off the edge and a perfect fit for a 4-3 DE.
Lead the nation with 16 sacks in 2011, he actually reminds me of the guy he beat all the records for at Illinois SIMEON RICE.

They are comparing Mercilus to Jason Pierre Paul.......

Illinois’ Mercilus says Bills showing “a lot of interest” in him

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/25/illinois-mercilus-says-bills-showing-a-lot-of-interest-in-him/

Speaking in front of assembled reporters Saturday at the Combine, Illinois defensive end Whitney Mercilus (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7432/whitney-mercilus) revealed that the Buffalo Bills have “showed interest … a lot of interest (http://wgr550.com/Illinois-DE-Says-Bills-Have-Shown-Interest/9034669?pid=220538)” in last year’s NCAA sacks leader, according to Joe Buscaglia of WGR 550.

Mercilus also named the Chargers and Bears as teams with which he’s been in touch.

In addition to tying Simeon Rice’s school record for sacks in 2011, the fourth-year junior Mercilus led Division I college football with nine forced fumbles. He paced the Big Ten in tackles for a loss (22.5) and earned the Ted Hendricks Award as the nation’s top defensive end.

tampabay25690
02-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Illinois’ Mercilus says Bills showing “a lot of interest” in him

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/25/illinois-mercilus-says-bills-showing-a-lot-of-interest-in-him/

Speaking in front of assembled reporters Saturday at the Combine, Illinois defensive end Whitney Mercilus (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7432/whitney-mercilus) revealed that the Buffalo Bills have “showed interest … a lot of interest (http://wgr550.com/Illinois-DE-Says-Bills-Have-Shown-Interest/9034669?pid=220538)” in last year’s NCAA sacks leader, according to Joe Buscaglia of WGR 550.

Mercilus also named the Chargers and Bears as teams with which he’s been in touch.

In addition to tying Simeon Rice’s school record for sacks in 2011, the fourth-year junior Mercilus led Division I college football with nine forced fumbles. He paced the Big Ten in tackles for a loss (22.5) and earned the Ted Hendricks Award as the nation’s top defensive end.

Do some research on this guy and Im starting to luv everything about him.
He reminds me of jason Pierre Paul so much its not even funny.
I actually saw Pierre Paul play at USF and workout at the same Gym I did.....
So I know first hand what he was capable of.

This could be a risk the Bills take and be a huge reward.

Remember last year when SF took Aldon Smith????
I guess that worked out ok for them...

Yasgur's Farm
02-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Although I'm in favor of re-signing Bell, I have to keep in mind that he had micro fracture surgery on at least 1 knee.

I'm not an expert... But from what I've read, micro fracture surgery is a pretty iffy thing. He basically had no cartilage left. To my understanding, they cut and scraped the ends of the knee bones in an effort to cultivate some back.

The Bills may know something here as to his short term availability as well as his expected length of career. If the Bills know, the rest of the league knows too. His price tag will probably be in the $3-4M range at best.

tampabay25690
02-26-2012, 07:59 AM
Although I'm in favor of re-signing Bell, I have to keep in mind that he had micro fracture surgery on at least 1 knee.

I'm not an expert... But from what I've red, micro fracture surgery is a pretty iffy thing. He basically had no cartilage left. To my understanding, they cut and scraped the ends of the knee bones in an effort to cultivate some back.

The Bills may know something here as to his short term availability as well as his expected length of career. If the Bills know, the rest of the league knows too. His price tag will probably be in the $3-4M range at best.

I was thinking the same $$$ you are..

Night Train
02-26-2012, 09:08 AM
If we drafted say Martin from Stanford or Adams from Ohio St. at #10 to start at LT, I'd be happy as a drunk at an open bar. That would signify that the Bills are finally getting it when adding quality talent without reaching at certain positions of need.

If that's where the value is, you don't reach at DE or OLB...which I'm well aware is a big need. I'm sure that won't be ignored in FA or on draft weekend.

Bell cannot stay healthy and may not be in the Bills plans at all. Hariston isn't that athletic and looks like a RT or swing backup. There is nothing wrong with solidifying an OL which played like crap for years and then showed real promise last year. This would finish off a OL that could stay together for a few years. We like. :up:

ddaryl
02-26-2012, 09:15 AM
I'm not an expert... But from what I've read, micro fracture surgery is a pretty iffy thing. He basically had no cartilage left. To my understanding, they cut and scraped the ends of the knee bones in an effort to cultivate some back.

If this is true, then he really has no business playing football. He is already guaranteed to be in need of a knee replacement, and the arthritic pain that is going to set in will be huge.

A knee without cartilage just can not sustain the grueling punishment of a pro football player

Ed
02-26-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm not opposed to re-signing Bell. I've always been a fan of the guy, but at the end of the day it really just comes down to cost. And with his injury concerns and what not, it just seems difficult to gauge what his value is right now to us or another team.

CoolBreeze
02-27-2012, 05:59 AM
Based on what I've read, and interviews I've seen Nix do, I think, the pick very well looks like Mike Adams or Jonathan Martin. He is quoted, as to how much he likes them, but more important is how the DE in the top tier, have knocks on them. Coples work ethic, Upshaw and Ingram's height scare him, and I think Mercilus having 1 yr of production, is not what he looks for. Nix spoke how the DE class is very good into the 3rd and 4th rd. With D.Bell's injury history and free agent status, its looking to me like LT, makes the most sense.

jamze132
02-27-2012, 07:28 AM
I would rather try to get the best available LT via FA and grab a playmaker on the defensive side of the ball at #10.

Night Train
02-27-2012, 07:35 AM
I would rather try to get the best available LT via FA and grab a playmaker on the defensive side of the ball at #10.

Name names.

Who is this phantom quality LT available in FA and why on earth would anyone let him go if he's good ???

Hypotheticals without any plan.

A couple LT's are rated ahead of the DE/OLB's people have mentioned and it's just sticking to your board and not reaching. I want DE/OLB as much as anyone but a LT is a crying need.

better days
02-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Name names.

Who is this phantom quality LT available in FA and why on earth would anyone let him go if he's good ???

A couple LT's are rated ahead of the DE/OLB's people have mentioned and it's just sticking to your board and not reaching. I want DE/OLB as much as anyone but a LT is a crying need.

If the Bills resign Bell, which I expect them to do, why is LT a crying need? The Bills do need to add to the OL, but there are far greater needs if Bell is resigned.

better days
02-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Name names.

If the Bills resign Bell, which I expect them to do, why is LT a crying need? The Bills do need to add to the OL, but there are far greater needs if Bell is resigned.

The Jokeman
02-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Name names.

The best LT in UFA is Jared Gaither and the question is whether San Deigo would re-sign him or not as he was a replacement for Marcus McNeill who has some injury questions himself. That said Bell ranks right below him at #2. I'd like to re-sign Bell but as referenced in other threads I think some other team might spend more money then we would for him. As a result we'll end up with a LT with pick 10, which isn't a bad thing.

The Jokeman
02-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Yet as Gailey pointed out reaching for a player because he fills a need is not the best way to evaluate a guy. As once again a draft is getting the best collection of players.

That’s the biggest problem you have is trying to elevate someone because of need. I think anytime you try to do that you put yourself in a position to be in trouble down the line. It may not be an issue right there but down the line it creates a problem for yourself because you passed up a player that you may have had graded - not at the position of need - but that’s a really good football player that’ll help your team down the line.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Transcript-Head-Coach-Chan-Gailey/36c38473-3bb6-463f-a316-28ec1f6cd11d

Bangarang
02-27-2012, 11:38 AM

Bell can't stay healthy. I'd prefer not to have Levitre at LT ever again. I would love to have a LT that can stay healthy and actually play a full season.

ddaryl
02-27-2012, 11:46 AM

Bells is not durable enough, and not elite/dominant enough. he is solid and would be glad to keep him, but we can improve.

IMO he is best resigned as a utily depth guy.

better days
02-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Yet as Gailey pointed out reaching for a player because he fills a need is not the best way to evaluate a guy. As once again a draft is getting the best collection of players.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Transcript-Head-Coach-Chan-Gailey/36c38473-3bb6-463f-a316-28ec1f6cd11d

I agree, & I think he is saying Upshaw is the better pick at #10 than a one year wonder pass rusher.

jamze132
02-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Name names.

Well I'll be sleeping at 12:01 when the FA period opens but I'm willing to bet a LT will be available who can provide more for us than what we got last year.

The Jokeman
02-27-2012, 04:48 PM
I agree, & I think he is saying Upshaw is the better pick at #10 than a one year wonder pass rusher.
I'm not sure how Upshaw fits in with a 4-3 defense. I realize some people feel he could play DE but am not sure. Instead you go with a guy like Floyd or Reily or Martin in the 1st and in the 2nd get a guy like Andre Branch.

YardRat
02-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Based on what I've read, and interviews I've seen Nix do, I think, the pick very well looks like Mike Adams or Jonathan Martin. He is quoted, as to how much he likes them, but more important is how the DE in the top tier, have knocks on them. Coples work ethic, Upshaw and Ingram's height scare him, and I think Mercilus having 1 yr of production, is not what he looks for. Nix spoke how the DE class is very good into the 3rd and 4th rd. With D.Bell's injury history and free agent status, its looking to me like LT, makes the most sense.

Misdirection.

dannyek71
02-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Bell is average at best and is always hurt. He is a poor man's Jonas Jennings. Let's draft Rieff from Iowa. Our OL will be Rieff Levitre Wood Ubrik Pears -- for once, we will have an OL that is not made up of scrubs. All good, young guys.

djjimkelly
02-27-2012, 09:27 PM
ive been thinking about this the last couple days

if the bills do go LT ill be happy

but i have one caveat to this

he HAS to be the LT for the next 10-12 years no let him leave after his rookie deal we draft a LT he HAS to be the man

Ed
02-28-2012, 10:16 AM
ive been thinking about this the last couple days

if the bills do go LT ill be happy

but i have one caveat to this

he HAS to be the LT for the next 10-12 years no let him leave after his rookie deal we draft a LT he HAS to be the man
That's pretty much the expectation and desire with any top 10 pick.