PDA

View Full Version : Blackouts are bad business for the NFL

YardRat
02-26-2012, 09:07 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/city/columns/donn-esmonde/article741893.ece

The timing could not be better. We soon will likely be asked to spend upwards of $100 million to upgrade the operations facility of business owner Ralph Wilson. Local and state taxpayers—whether they care about the Buffalo Bills or not—will have to ante up for stadium improvements to keep the team in town.
In return, I think, we should get the chance every football Sunday to see what we’re paying for. That only happens if the NFL ends the counter-productive and taxpayer- offensive TV blackout rule.

Since we subsidize the business, I think we should by rights have access to the product.

The Federal Communications Commission is revisiting the 1973 rule preventing NFL home games not sold out 72 hours in advance from being locally televised. Thousands of irate fans spoke up during a recent comment period. The ball is now in the FCC’s hands. Although the FCC cannot force the NFL to comply, an anti-blackout edict might embarrass the league into changing its ways.

Rep. Brian Higgins is playing offense. “Bills fans made an economic investment in the team by supporting stadium improvements in the 1990s, and will be asked to again,” Higgins told me. “This is a great opportunity for the NFL to give back to the fans.”

Night Train
02-26-2012, 09:10 AM
It's inevitable this will be fought out in the courts but at least an effort is being made.

Extremebillsfan247
02-28-2012, 08:08 AM
The NFL is too big to fail right now. The only way I can see them lifting the blackout rule is if Goodell feels the NFL no longer needs it. I think at most, there may be changes as to when a blackout is implemented, but it's probably always going to be a part of the game as long as the revenue playing field remains unleveled, meaning small market vs large market. JMO

trapezeus
02-28-2012, 02:31 PM
once they lift the blackout, the nfl will just take their product off network television and run the channels at a hefty sum per subscriber.

It's a no win situation. they will find a way to screw us all the time. this is what happens to products in demand.

stuckincincy
02-28-2012, 03:15 PM
once they lift the blackout, the nfl will just take their product off network television and run the channels at a hefty sum per subscriber.

It's a no win situation. they will find a way to screw us all the time. this is what happens to products in demand.

Years ago, the NFL decided to broadcast home games for exposure, for tv money. Which hurt the gate, but they liked the $ that came piling up.

Now, they tell us they worry about gate, despite billion-dollar tv contract $ from now to the horizon.

They created their own monster out of their greed. Let them live with it.

Here's a tip to the NFL to increase the attendance - mandate that parking cost no more that 8 bucks, that weenies cost no more that two bucks, beer cost no more that 3 bucks, etc.

Folks have to park, eats are part of going to a sporting event. The NFL and their owners rape their fans for these.

JohnnyGold
02-28-2012, 04:11 PM
The NFL is too big to fail right now. The only way I can see them lifting the blackout rule is if Goodell feels the NFL no longer needs it. I think at most, there may be changes as to when a blackout is implemented, but it's probably always going to be a part of the game as long as the revenue playing field remains unleveled, meaning small market vs large market. JMO

right now being emphasized.

it will probably only be the case for 10-15 more years.