PDA

View Full Version : Who do you take?

YardRat
02-26-2012, 06:10 PM
The following players go off the board in the first 9 picks...

QB Andrew Luck
QB RGIII
WR Justin Blackmon
WR Kendall Wright
OT Matt Kalil
OT Riley Reiff
CB Morris Claiborne
DE Quinton Coples
OLB/DE Melvin Ingram

...Who do you take at #10, no trading down.

Canadian'eh!
02-26-2012, 06:20 PM
It's not a who but a what..... Ativan

YardRat
02-26-2012, 06:22 PM
I had to do the Google for that :ill:

SquishDaFish
02-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Upshaw

Mindbender
02-26-2012, 06:23 PM
This is actually my least favorite scenario. In this case I'd go with Dre Kirkpatrick, CB.

Other guys I considered:

David DeCastro, OG
Jonathan Martin, OT

X-Era
02-26-2012, 06:24 PM
I think is a 3 horse race... Upshaw, Kirkpatrick, or Martin. Id still like Upshaw.

ServoBillieves
02-26-2012, 06:25 PM
I truly have to agree with Kirkpatrick on the pick. In this pass happy league and with the Patriots twice a year, we need shutdown.

DraftBoy
02-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Kirkpatrick or Floyd.

Crisis
02-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Kirkpatrick or Floyd.

This, and in that order for me.

Canadian'eh!
02-26-2012, 06:38 PM
The Bills would take Richardson. Can Never have enough 1st round RBs

The Jokeman
02-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Floyd or Martin.

k-oneputt
02-26-2012, 06:44 PM
You guys want to take a wr at #10 ?????

You all must like losing.
Our best wr is a 7th rd. pick

Raptor
02-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Floyd

i think its between Floyd, Perry, and Martin

The Jokeman
02-26-2012, 06:48 PM

If I could I would have traded down but that wasn't an option. I'm hesitant taking Floyd as most WRs take a good three years to develop but based on what was left on the board and what I see as holes on the current roster I listed Floyd and Martin based on perceived value at pick 10 and what might be available in later rounds. While Kirkpatrick might grade as a better prospect I can't see taking a 1st Round CB that would serve as a nickelback or maybe even a dime CB in 2012.

Crisis
02-26-2012, 06:55 PM

and the rest of our 7th round/undrafted WRs are scrubs.

Raptor
02-26-2012, 06:55 PM

Yea, he'll be the BPA on the board and I don't give a crap about need in the first

By wanting to take impact players?

So? Our best OL for awhile was a UDFA. So I take it we should just not draft OL anymore?

k-oneputt
02-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Games won at qb and the trenches.

so we will use our premium pick on a wr... or a rb...or a small school db....there is a reason why this team hasn't ben to the play-offs in over a decade.

They fiqured out last year with Dareus. SEC.

Raptor
02-26-2012, 07:09 PM

so we will use our premium pick on a wr... or a rb...or a small school db....there is a reason why this team hasn't ben to the play-offs in over a decade.

So we should a lesser player? Great plan to get back to the playoffs. Reaching for need in the first raises the bust factor and keeps you mediocre

Dareus is one of those perfect storms in which BPA met Need

k-oneputt
02-26-2012, 07:13 PM
you can always find wr's.

Take the lineman.

Crisis
02-26-2012, 07:16 PM

Maybe you missed the part where Nicks (a first rounder at WR) went off for them in the SB.

We have a hole at WR and taking BPA at that position isn't a bad thing. I agree, BPA at Safety or RB would be stupid... but first round WR isn't a problem.

Banking on finding a legit WR from the scrap pile is too risky, we could end up with Stevie Johnson or Donald Jones... and for every Stevie you find, there's 10 Jones.

Bangarang
02-26-2012, 07:18 PM

So it's better to reach for a DE or hybrid that doesn't fit our system just because it's a need? You can still find guys that can get to the QB after the 1st round.

k-oneputt
02-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Nicks didn't win the SB, the qb and the d-line did.
Just like they did the last time they played in the SB.

Crisis
02-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Nicks didn't win the SB, the qb and the d-line did.
Just like they did the last time they played in the SB.

Nicks had over a third of his QB's yards. I'm sure he had nothing to do with it.

k-oneputt
02-26-2012, 07:21 PM
So it's better to reach for a DE or hybrid that doesn't fit our system just because it's a need? You can still find guys that can get to the QB after the 1st round.

I would be fine taking an ot at #10 if a pass rusher isn't there.

Raptor
02-26-2012, 07:22 PM
you can always find wr's.

Take the lineman.

You can always find lineman

Take impact players

k-oneputt
02-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Nicks had over a third of his QB's yards. I'm sure he had nothing to do with it.

Yeah your right, Nicks is more important then Manning.

Learn the game.:trance:

Raptor
02-26-2012, 07:23 PM

So his post went right over your head

k-oneputt
02-26-2012, 07:24 PM
You can always find lineman

Take impact players

That's what the bills front office has thought for 12 years.

I forgot, how many play-off wins over those years ?

Crisis
02-26-2012, 07:26 PM

Because that's what I was saying.

Learn reading comprehension.

k-oneputt
02-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Because that's what I was saying.

Learn reading comprehension.

Then we agree. So why waste #10 on a wr ?

Bangarang
02-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Then we agree. So why waste #10 on a wr ?
Probably because our recievers outside of Stevie are mostly garbage. And people were tired of watching 3 yard slant routes.

k-oneputt
02-26-2012, 07:38 PM
You can find them in the mid rounds.

Mahdi
02-26-2012, 09:18 PM
The argument that you can take a WR late or you can always find linemen is invalid. The reality is that you can find good players at any position in any round.

What you should focus on in the first round is who is the best player I can get for my team right now at my pick. That's it. Position should not matter unless you have a PBer at that spot and even then, especially at WR and CB you can always use another on the other side. Same with OT.

That being said, with the options available I would take Floyd, Martin or Kirkpatrick.

paladin warrior
02-26-2012, 09:59 PM
OT -Riley Reif
DE-Quinton Coples or WR Floyd
OLB Melvin Ingram

Philagape
02-26-2012, 09:59 PM
The Bills have tried every draft strategy you can think of and failed. BPA, need, linemen, skill players, big schools, small schools, you name it.
Therefore failure is not an argument for or against any particular approach.

TacklingDummy
02-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Richardson

Night Train
02-27-2012, 03:13 AM
Jonathan Martin, OT

clumping platelets
02-27-2012, 03:50 AM
Depends on FA

I say BPA but that may be Richardson which is clearly not a need........I then must say OT, DL, CB, OLB.....in the end, I'd go

CB Kirkpatrick

jamze132
02-27-2012, 07:32 AM
In this scenario, I'm taking Upshaw.

Mski
03-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Kirkpatrick or Floyd.agreed, but i think Floyd is ahead of Kirkpatrick in the Bills eyes

stuckincincy
03-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Depends on FA

I say BPA but that may be Richardson which is clearly not a need........I then must say OT, DL, CB, OLB.....in the end, I'd go

CB Kirkpatrick

I hope your avatar lady bites your tongue off. :biggrin:

JCBills
03-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Try to deal it or Kirkpatrick.

(I know, no trading blah blah, but it could happen.)

SABURZFAN
03-01-2012, 05:07 PM
The following players go off the board in the first 9 picks...

QB Andrew Luck
QB RGIII
WR Justin Blackmon
WR Kendall Wright
OT Matt Kalil
OT Riley Reiff
CB Morris Claiborne
DE Quinton Coples
OLB/DE Melvin Ingram

...Who do you take at #10, no trading down.

Dontari Poe- DT- Memphis

JCBills
03-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Dontari Poe- DT- Memphis

Fell in love with a combine showing?

SABURZFAN
03-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Fell in love with a combine showing?

just trying to get the Poe Show going......

JCBills
03-01-2012, 05:24 PM
just trying to get the Poe Show going......

Lol I can't say I follow.

The team already has a top notch DT tandem in Williams and Dareus.

Sure, it would be a mean rotation, but that isn't even close to cracking the top 5 needs. DT and S are probably the strongest positions on the team.

Buffalo Thriller
03-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Im starting to jump on the Nick Perry bandwagon.

better days
03-01-2012, 06:07 PM
I would be very happy to take Upshaw.

Oaf
03-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Wright's going FOUR?

The Jokeman
03-01-2012, 07:48 PM
I would be very happy to take Upshaw.
Why the love for Upshaw? Most scouting reports make mention on how poor a fit he is for a 4-3 defense, he had a poor showing at the combine. Gailey was recently reported as saying "[Dropping into coverage] would not be the priority," said Gailey. "The priority would be pass rush and set the edge in the run game. Dropping would be a once in a blue moon type deal. That wouldn’t be a lot.""

Which is a sign that we're really looking hard at a 4-3 DE type which is simply not Upshaw at all. As OLBs in a 4-3 typically aren't ask to rush the passer. Also with Nix commenting that he feels there's good depth in the draft after rounds 1 it tells me we could be looking for a guy later than sooner. The guy who's caught my eye of late is Andre Branch as he's predicts well as 4-3 DE, has the size that Nix has talked about liking and comes from a program (Clemson) that the Bills current regime has taken from before. Granted targetting certain guys in a round after the first is never easy but he just seems to fit everything the Bills are looking for. I could see trading down and look to take him in the 20s part of the draft as his stock is rising a little bit since the combine so might not be there in Round 2 anymore.

Akhippo
03-01-2012, 11:24 PM
I think there are alot of tall fast WRs in this draft that could be had in the second.
CB would be OK, as would OT. But there doesnt seem to be a cant miss there. Alot of talent though.

I would seriously take a look at Poe.
I think that would give them serious versatility along the line. Build the lines and the defense up the middle. MLB, SS, FS.

CleveSteve
03-02-2012, 08:30 AM
The guy who's caught my eye of late is Andre Branch as he's predicts well as 4-3 DE, has the size that Nix has talked about liking and comes from a program (Clemson) that the Bills current regime has taken from before. Granted targetting certain guys in a round after the first is never easy but he just seems to fit everything the Bills are looking for. I could see trading down and look to take him in the 20s part of the draft as his stock is rising a little bit since the combine so might not be there in Round 2 anymore.

Hey Jokeman,

I would be surprised if Branch has really moved his stock up that high. I saw him play against Florida State and he was completely owned all day by Andrew Datko one-on-one. No double teams, no chip from TE or RB. He got pressure against Zebrie Sanders once or twice when he moved to the left side of the line, but for the most part he was blocked over there, too. He ended up getting a garbage time sack, but he was not very impressive. That's not to say he doesn't have the attributes to play the position, but I would still wait for him in the second if the Bills wanted to target him. Especially if they need to draft an OT... there won't be a starting-quality LT available by the time #41 rolls around. That's MO anyways.

I'd say Mercilus and Perry will go in the 20-ish range as 4-3 ends. Branch is in a tier below them IMO.

better days
03-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Why the love for Upshaw? Most scouting reports make mention on how poor a fit he is for a 4-3 defense, he had a poor showing at the combine. Gailey was recently reported as saying "[Dropping into coverage] would not be the priority," said Gailey. "The priority would be pass rush and set the edge in the run game. Dropping would be a once in a blue moon type deal. That wouldn’t be a lot.""

Which is a sign that we're really looking hard at a 4-3 DE type which is simply not Upshaw at all. As OLBs in a 4-3 typically aren't ask to rush the passer. Also with Nix commenting that he feels there's good depth in the draft after rounds 1 it tells me we could be looking for a guy later than sooner. The guy who's caught my eye of late is Andre Branch as he's predicts well as 4-3 DE, has the size that Nix has talked about liking and comes from a program (Clemson) that the Bills current regime has taken from before. Granted targetting certain guys in a round after the first is never easy but he just seems to fit everything the Bills are looking for. I could see trading down and look to take him in the 20s part of the draft as his stock is rising a little bit since the combine so might not be there in Round 2 anymore.

Well, John Clayton was talking about Upshaw as a possible pick for the Seahawks. He thinks Upshaw can play in the 4-3. I saw him play at Alabama & I think he can play DE for the Bills & not only get to the QB, but also help with stopping the run which the Bills could use.

dannyek71
03-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Rieff

ThunderGun
03-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Floyd or trade down.

I can't believe I wrote that. This is the first time in like 10 years that I haven't screamed for them to draft an OT in the 1st. lol.

YardRat
03-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Wright's going FOUR?

No, they aren't in any particular order except for grouped by side of the ball and position. Having the QB's listed first must have confused you.

The Jokeman
03-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Hey Jokeman,

I would be surprised if Branch has really moved his stock up that high. I saw him play against Florida State and he was completely owned all day by Andrew Datko one-on-one. No double teams, no chip from TE or RB. He got pressure against Zebrie Sanders once or twice when he moved to the left side of the line, but for the most part he was blocked over there, too. He ended up getting a garbage time sack, but he was not very impressive. That's not to say he doesn't have the attributes to play the position, but I would still wait for him in the second if the Bills wanted to target him. Especially if they need to draft an OT... there won't be a starting-quality LT available by the time #41 rolls around. That's MO anyways.

I'd say Mercilus and Perry will go in the 20-ish range as 4-3 ends. Branch is in a tier below them IMO.
I agree Branch is in a tier below Mercilus and Perry but could see a team like New England taking him at pick 31. I agree with you that if a guy like Reiff or Martin is there at pick 10 it's a good idea to take either one over a guy like Ingrim or Upshaw or trading back for Branch. Yet if there's not a LT prospect there than I say trade down or if we intend to stick at pick 10 than take a guy like Michael Floyd.

better days
03-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Maybe you missed the part where Nicks (a first rounder at WR) went off for them in the SB.

We have a hole at WR and taking BPA at that position isn't a bad thing. I agree, BPA at Safety or RB would be stupid... but first round WR isn't a problem.

Banking on finding a legit WR from the scrap pile is too risky, we could end up with Stevie Johnson or Donald Jones... and for every Stevie you find, there's 10 Jones.

A first rnd WR isn't a problem, but it won't make the team as good as a defensive player in the 1st would either.