02-27-2012, 02:44 PM
they just lost a TON of size

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Love the deal for Hodgson.

SkateZilla
02-27-2012, 02:58 PM
hodgson has like 16 goals 32 pts,
fits in under Vanek, Poms, Roy, and way above everyone else.

Crisis
02-27-2012, 02:58 PM
and hodgson is a LEGIT center prospect. love it.

mightysimi
02-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Here's the gist on Hodgson from a Vancouver fan:
Drafted 10th. The report coming out of Junior was the same skill set as Stamkos but without the lightning speed. Outscored John Tavares in the World Juniors the year before Tavares went first overall. Good 2 way player but wasn't going anywhere in Van. Wasn't going to beat out Henrik or Kesler. Wasn't really what you want in a 3rd line center although he does score more than the average. Real good prospect and don't like to see him go. Anyone care to give me the breakdown on Kassian?

Michael82
02-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Drafted 10th. The report coming out of Junior was the same skill set as Stamkos but without the lightning speed. Outscored John Tavares in the World Juniors the year before Tavares went first overall. Good 2 way player but wasn't going anywhere in Van. Wasn't going to beat out Henrik or Kesler. Wasn't really what you want in a 3rd line center although he does score more than the average. Real good prospect and don't like to see him go. Anyone care to give me the breakdown on Kassian?

Sounds like he will make it possible to get rid of Derek Roy in the offseason. We finally got a new center. :up:

However, our team just got even softer by losing both Goose and Kassian.

Crisis
02-27-2012, 03:14 PM

Kassian is a beast physically. He's a very good prospect, and will bring some good grit. For a young player, he uses his size well. He's hard to take off the puck and is good along the boards. He's not a complete goon either, he has skill (although not as skilled as Hodgson). The biggest problem he has is his mental makeup, at every level he's played at he's become complacent with where he's at. When he got sent back down to Rochester after being called up earlier in the year, he was lazy down there. I think once he's a regular on the big club he'll deal with the complacency issues again, but thats on your coaching staff.

If he maxes out his potential, I think he's a slightly less tough Lucic but with slightly more skill.

Gragnani is terrible. You should hope he never sees the ice.

trapezeus
02-27-2012, 03:20 PM
However, our team just got even softer by losing both Goose and Kassian.

but we just got a legit center prospect and picked up an additional first rounder. so if we tank this season as may be the case, we could have a top 5 draft pick.

this means we could have sorted out our center deficiencies in around 6 months. which based on how i was feeling last night seemed like it would never come around.

i think the sabres did well pending the actual results.

Michael82
02-27-2012, 03:22 PM
but we just got a legit center prospect and picked up an additional first rounder. so if we tank this season as may be the case, we could have a top 5 draft pick.

this means we could have sorted out our center deficiencies in around 6 months. which based on how i was feeling last night seemed like it would never come around.

i think the sabres did well pending the actual results.

Yeah, you got a point. We could have a top 5 draft pick. Plus we will have a late 1st rounder and 2 2nd rounders. Darcy could definitely do some wheeling and dealing with those! :drool:

trapezeus
02-27-2012, 03:27 PM
yep, and that's why i'm not terribly worried that we sent too much size out the door. we have the picks and a couple pieces worth moving to get the size back. plus foligno, tropp and adam could be something if ruff doesn't ruin them.

next year already seems like it could be better. and starting this day today, i kind of just assumed the team would remain a middling, struggling entity.

now, let's just see the results.

utmhead
02-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Yeah, you got a point. We could have a top 5 draft pick. Plus we will have a late 1st rounder and 2 2nd rounders. Darcy could definitely do some wheeling and dealing with those! :drool:

How could you have a top 5 pick, if you are in the playoffs ?? Am i missing something ??

Michael82
02-27-2012, 03:31 PM
How could you have a top 5 pick, if you are in the playoffs ?? Am i missing something ??

The Sabres arent in the playoffs and wont make the playoffs unless something miraculous happens. They also have a chance to slide even farther down because the veterans may be upset Goose was traded. They arent mentally tough enough to handle it.

jamze132
02-27-2012, 03:40 PM
I like the trades. Getting a 1st rounder for Goose is a steal.

Getting rid of Grags means beers are in order.

Philagape
02-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Make no mistake, as far as this spring, they were sellers. You can't swap veteran toughness/faceoffs for young skill and expect to be a contender.

Hodgson just became the franchise. He's the chosen savior for both the Sabres and Darcy's job. We'll see.

Crisis
02-27-2012, 03:43 PM
never having to see grags in blue and gold again = party time

Michael82
02-27-2012, 03:46 PM
fits in under Vanek, Poms, Roy, and way above everyone else.

He also fits in the Sabres due to his injury history. I was reading up on him from his Wiki site and apparently he's already suffered from these injuries....

Injured his back (muscle strain?) in 2009 (took him a year to fully recover)
Nerve damage in leg in 2009
Broken toe on his right foot in 2010
Broken orbital bone in Dec 2010

Michael82
02-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Cody Hodgson got his first assist on a goal by Christian Ehrhoff. He also also played with both Tyler Myers and Tyler Ennis on Team Canada. So at least there's some familiarity from him. :up:

Philagape
02-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Talent Analysis

Hodgson is a solid all around talent. He does not possess blinding speed, or flashy moves, but he tends to get the job done. He has developed into a fine two-way player. Hodgson is an extremely smart player who uses all of his skills in both ends of the ice. Excellent skater, very strong on the puck, can quarterback the powerplay. Hodson has very good hands and excellent on ice-vision.
Future

He has first-line talent but has been injured, and could be problematic to sign.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect/Cody_Hodgson

Crisis
02-27-2012, 03:50 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jhgCaHsidSY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Philagape
02-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Cody Hodgson got his first assist on a goal by Christian Ehrhoff. He also also played with both Tyler Myers and Tyler Ennis on Team Canada. So at least there's some familiarity from him. :up:

In the 2008-09 world juniors he had 16 points in 6 games :jawdrop:

Michael82
02-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Talent Analysis

Hodgson is a solid all around talent. He does not possess blinding speed, or flashy moves, but he tends to get the job done. He has developed into a fine two-way player. Hodgson is an extremely smart player who uses all of his skills in both ends of the ice. Excellent skater, very strong on the puck, can quarterback the powerplay. Hodson has very good hands and excellent on ice-vision.
Future

He has first-line talent but has been injured, and could be problematic to sign. http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect/Cody_Hodgson

That sounds like EXACTLY what the Sabres need. Excellent skater? Very good hands? Excellent on ice vision? Can QB the powerplay??? :drool:

Michael82
02-27-2012, 03:56 PM
In the 2008-09 world juniors he had 16 points in 6 games :jawdrop:

So the team that has desperately needs goal scorers, finally got one!? Sweet!

I will still miss Kassian, and I'm curious to see how much tougher he's going to be when Lindy isn't holding him down. But it looks like we got exactly what we needed, in Hodgson.... :bf1:

SkateZilla
02-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville

Philagape
02-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Canucks fans:

I don't care if Kassian is superman. Coho is our future.

If Vancouver traded CoHo, they are idiots.

If CoHo was traded I will freak out. Must be kidding me.

If they get rid of coho I'm walking out of this class

Don't move Coho..he's one of our most consistent players.

Philagape
02-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Marc-Andre Gragnani in my opinion is the gem in this CoHo/Kassian trade. Puck moving pp d-man who is a +10 on a crappy BUF team. good depth

:roflmao:

Michael82
02-27-2012, 04:47 PM

:laughing:

SkateZilla
02-27-2012, 05:02 PM

Marc-Andre Gragnani in my opinion is the gem in this CoHo/Kassian trade. Puck moving pp d-man who is a +10 on a crappy BUF team. good depth

Fitzpatrick's Beard must be posting on Vancouver's Forums again.....

mightysimi
02-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Curious why you guys dislike Gragnani? Getting rid of one of the 3 guys on your team who is a plus player doesn't seem like the slug you guys make him out to be.

SkateZilla
02-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Putting the Pussy on the Pedestal

Crisis
02-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Curious why you guys dislike Gragnani? Getting rid of one of the 3 guys on your team who is a plus player doesn't seem like the slug you guys make him out to be.

He's terrible.

His +/- is extremely misleading, he's been awful this year. He was OK in the playoffs vs Philly last year, but has regressed a LOT since then.

His defensive instincts are terrible. He turns the puck over a lot, he doesn't play smart in his own zone.

He's an OK offensive player (he's looked better at forward than defense this year IMO), but then again he doesn't have a very good shot, and he looks afraid to shoot. He's a decent passer but again, he makes boneheaded passes to the other teams just as much as he makes good passes.

His +/- is no way indicative of his play this year, just a result of dumb luck and lucky shift changes.

Add in the fact that he's the softest player I've ever seen... I'm so glad he's gone.

I will miss BZK a lot.

Crisis
02-27-2012, 05:23 PM
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1049519

this thread pretty much sums up how sabres fans feel about him.

add into the fact that we have a bunch of D prospects coming up soon, nobody will miss him.

Philagape
02-27-2012, 05:24 PM

He's the poster boy for everything that +/- doesn't tell you.
One of the many differences between sports on paper and in reality.

Crisis
02-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Right when Grags started being a healthy scratch is when our defensive unit picked its game up again, too. He was Any Elmore bad.

SABURZFAN
02-27-2012, 06:08 PM
one of the guys i didn't want to see traded and they trade him. :hang:

mightysimi
02-27-2012, 06:15 PM
He's the poster boy for everything that +/- doesn't tell you.
One of the many differences between sports on paper and in reality.
I agree that stats don't always tell but he's the only one. He's so terrible but doesn't get scored on. On a team that gets scored on a lot, that says something I think. Going into this year, how many games in the NHL did he have? 9-10. I'm not saying he is Bobby Orr but you guys sounded like he was the worst player ever. You guys are lynching a player who has less than a full year of experience. He might be bad but I think there are a few more problems on the Sabres than a rookie.

PTI
02-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Right when Grags started being a healthy scratch is when our defensive unit picked its game up again, too. He was Any Elmore bad.
Sabres are still coughing the puck in IMO, Miller is just playing at a way better level, The Grags thing to me is not why the defensive unit picked it's game up. I never thought he was as bad as some out here say, and his +10 is way better than anyone else on the team, crazy for how bad the Sabres were.

doug45
02-27-2012, 10:50 PM

16 goals is a big deal these says ?? I guess I have been around too long, I can look back and see 40-50 goal Sabers. And now 16 is a lot ?

Crisis
02-27-2012, 10:54 PM
16 goals is a big deal these says ?? I guess I have been around too long, I can look back and see 40-50 goal Sabers. And now 16 is a lot ?

He's 22 years old with 12 minutes of ice time per game.

Cali512
02-27-2012, 10:57 PM

I dont think its the fact that he had so many goals, its the fact that he has extreme potential and defines what he needs. Looking at the video he seems to control the puck extremely well and carefully, and his aim is point blank!

doug45
02-27-2012, 10:57 PM
He's 22 years old with 12 minutes of ice time per game.

We were too soft already and these trades just made us much softer. These young guys are going to get pounded with no one around to help!!

doug45
02-27-2012, 11:00 PM
I dont think its the fact that he had so many goals, its the fact that he has extreme potential and defines what he needs. Looking at the video he seems to control the puck extremely well and carefully, and his aim is point blank!

Sounds like the Bills, (Potential or rebuilding), they are just excuses for management not doing the job. But to cover for that they just ship people out and claim a great move.

Crisis
02-27-2012, 11:03 PM
We were too soft already and these trades just made us much softer. These young guys are going to get pounded with no one around to help!!

they weren't making the playoffs this year, and even if they did they weren't making a serious run.

it's a flawed team still but this is a great start.

Cali512
02-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Sounds like the Bills, (Potential or rebuilding), they are just excuses for management not doing the job. But to cover for that they just ship people out and claim a great move.

We score less than 2 goals a game, which sounds more needy, the big strong hitter, or the young talented goal scorer?

Skooby
02-27-2012, 11:45 PM
never having to see grags in blue and gold again = party time

Bingo!! Thank you baby Jesus & all the sheep in the stable.

Skooby
02-27-2012, 11:52 PM
CoHo is a gamer, hopefully his injuries don't turn him into Connelly part 2 for us.

ddaryl
02-28-2012, 08:28 AM
we'll get some grit back this offseason. This team wasn't' going anywhere this year even if they made the playoffs., and our need for a center was too great..

Pegula is willing to spend money, but this team needs some big changes to ever be a championship caliber team and that started this week

doug45
02-28-2012, 11:11 PM
we'll get some grit back this offseason.

I keep seeing people say that these big guys are a dime a dozen...then why don't we have any now?

chernobylwraiths
02-29-2012, 06:01 AM
I agree that stats don't always tell but he's the only one. He's so terrible but doesn't get scored on. On a team that gets scored on a lot, that says something I think. Going into this year, how many games in the NHL did he have? 9-10. I'm not saying he is Bobby Orr but you guys sounded like he was the worst player ever. You guys are lynching a player who has less than a full year of experience. He might be bad but I think there are a few more problems on the Sabres than a rookie.

He has not played well this year. Fans will always bag on a player that is leaving who is not real popular. In interviews, to me, he didn't take much responsibility for his poor play. He is a decent offensive defensman but is NOT very good defensively. I believe he was originally a winger several years ago when he was first brought up.

I am curious if plus/minus is added for short handed goals because I think I remember him giving up a few doosies this year.

chernobylwraiths
02-29-2012, 06:03 AM
I keep seeing people say that these big guys are a dime a dozen...then why don't we have any now?

Big goon guys and grinders are a dime a dozen. We don't have any because DR doesn't seem to want to sign them and they don't fit into LR's "system".

doug45
02-29-2012, 06:16 AM
Big goon guys and grinders are a dime a dozen. We don't have any because DR doesn't seem to want to sign them and they don't fit into LR's "system".

It doesn't look like that system is working too well. Ask Ryan Miller if he would like some help in that department?

chernobylwraiths
02-29-2012, 06:37 AM
It doesn't look like that system is working too well. Ask Ryan Miller if he would like some help in that department?

You aren't going to get an argument from me.

JD
02-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Please refrain from personal attacks

How about leaving the hockey analysis to hockey fans?

SabreEleven
02-29-2012, 03:08 PM

Thank you.

doug45
02-29-2012, 03:25 PM

I forgot how this site works...If you don't agree with some of these people you are not a fan.... I think it's time for some adults to get involed with this site. Insults , foul language, How far it was fallen over the years.

doug45
02-29-2012, 03:27 PM
You aren't going to get an argument from me.

Watch out if you agree with me they will say you are not a fan !!

chernobylwraiths
02-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Watch out if you agree with me they will say you are not a fan !!

eh, I consider the source

doug45
02-29-2012, 03:32 PM
eh, I consider the source

You are wise !!!!

SabreEleven
02-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Please refrain from childish behaviour such as this.

I forgot how this site works...If you don't agree with some of these people you are not a fan.... I think it's time for some adults to get involed with this site. Insults , foul language, How far it was fallen over the years.

Go here www.disney.com....they are more your speed.

doug45
02-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Go here www.disney.com ....they are more your speed.

Thank you for proving my point!!

SabreEleven
02-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Thank you for proving my point!!

Who insulted you and called you names and hurt your feelings and made you cry?

mightysimi
03-01-2012, 05:25 PM
He has not played well this year. Fans will always bag on a player that is leaving who is not real popular. In interviews, to me, he didn't take much responsibility for his poor play. He is a decent offensive defensman but is NOT very good defensively. I believe he was originally a winger several years ago when he was first brought up.

I am curious if plus/minus is added for short handed goals because I think I remember him giving up a few doosies this year.

He's a young player. I guess my point being was that he sounded brutal from the way you guys talked but as a young D man, or inexperienced, usually take some time to learn to read the play. Not all D are Doughty who can come in a play at 18.

chernobylwraiths
03-01-2012, 07:46 PM
He's a young player. I guess my point being was that he sounded brutal from the way you guys talked but as a young D man, or inexperienced, usually take some time to learn to read the play. Not all D are Doughty who can come in a play at 18.
He is 25 (almost). Plus I was right in that he played wing at first. And he HAS played brutal at times this year.

chernobylwraiths
03-01-2012, 07:46 PM
What's with all the hate on this Doug guy?

DMBcrew36
03-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Kassian looks to be playing inspired tonight. We'll see how long that lasts before he goes soft again. I will say, though, playing on a stacked team like the Canucks with stars like the Sedins, and for a major Canadian hockey city, definitely would push a young player like Kassian to play harder.

northernbillfan
03-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Just because posts an opinion that isn't true to your way of thinking doesn't make them any less of a fan.

Attack the post and not the poster.

Zone staff

mightysimi
03-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Kassian looks to be playing inspired tonight. We'll see how long that lasts before he goes soft again. I will say, though, playing on a stacked team like the Canucks with stars like the Sedins, and for a major Canadian hockey city, definitely would push a young player like Kassian to play harder.

He did fit in well. He definitely looked like he belonged in their free wheeling style. Twice I saw him take the cycle in the Offensive corner. Not something you usually see. However, he didn't get caught and was on the ice when the Canucks held the Blues in their own end for like 1:30. Only time will tell I guess.