PDA

View Full Version : Draftniks...this is for you.

HAMMER
02-27-2012, 07:36 PM
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/25/draftniks-ever-the-experts-and-always-on-the-clock/?scp=1&sq=draftnik&st=cse

Fixxxer
02-28-2012, 07:25 AM
My absolute favorite draftnik wannabe phrase is: "I have this guy 10th on my board"

Unless you're a professional scout or you run a web site showing that you have draft board you don't have a draft board.

alohabillsfan
02-28-2012, 09:22 AM
That whole article was hilarious and spot on. Another is "he cant flip his hips" or "he plays to tall" Wannabe's. And really, watching the combine? I would rather watch Rocky 3,4 and 5. LOL

OpIv37
02-28-2012, 10:22 AM
I especially liked this part:

Finally, they can downgrade a top defensive lineman because he plays the wrong “technique.” Sure, he is 300 pounds of sculptured titanium, bench-presses old Chevy engine blocks for fun and recorded 60 career sacks at a major program, but he may not transition smoothly from three-technique to five-technique, an insurmountable adjustment that amounts to lining up about 42 lateral inches from where he did at college.

And not only do draftniks use that kind of logic, but NFL analysts (professional and amateur) use it for existing players as well. At times, it's appropriate, but sometimes it comes off as ridiculous when people say a star player who has dominated the game for his whole life can't transition from a 3-4 to a 4-3 or vice versa.

Night Train
02-28-2012, 10:39 AM
I get the Sunday Times and read that. Loved it.

DraftBoy
02-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Fun read and very accurate.

hydro
02-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Wow....

Don't think I have ever read something that was more spot on than that article.

Extremebillsfan247
02-28-2012, 12:53 PM
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/25/draftniks-ever-the-experts-and-always-on-the-clock/?scp=1&sq=draftnik&st=cse Quote; As a final ritual, true draftniks forget everything they ever said, wrote or thought about a prospect as soon as the N.F.L. season begins; reflection and accountability of opinion cause only uncomfortable cognitive dissonance. <- Otherwise known as the 1,000 yard stare. lol My favorite part. Funny stuff. Thanks for sharing.

ServoBillieves
02-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Luckily, there is Scoutspeak, a language designed to baffle laymen with submolecular analysis of every high-cut, sudden prospect who can high-point, bucket step and take proper angles but gets upright, runs with poor lean, and fails to syncopate his duodenum while percolating the jabberwocky.

Almost cried laughing. Seriously, almost cried.