PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Night Football!

Philagape
02-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Talk about a bully pulpit. The National Football League announced Tuesday that it will open the 2012 season on a Wednesday night instead of a Thursday to avoid conflicting with President Obama's speech at the Democratic National Convention.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-nfl-season-opener-obama-convention-20120228,0,6566240.story

CleveSteve
02-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Sweet. One day earlier.

JCBills
02-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Hopefully by then people wake up and stop listening to him recycle the same broken campaign promises by then so it won't matter.

k-oneputt
02-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Hopefully by then people wake up and stop listening to him recycle the same broken campaign promises by then so it won't matter.

Don't count on it.

Goobylal
02-28-2012, 06:02 PM
I'd rather they kept is Thursday, so I don't have to bother listening to that shyster.

Ed
02-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Obama will already have the election in the bag by that point. It wouldn't make a difference.

Philagape
02-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Sweet. One day earlier.

Not really because it's a leap year

Forward_Lateral
02-29-2012, 11:24 AM
They should've moved his speech. Everyone knows that the opening game of NFL football is way more important.

JCBills
02-29-2012, 11:29 AM
They should've moved his speech. Everyone knows that the opening game of NFL football is way more important.

They could just say "look up his last speech" and it would be 99% the same thing.

EricStratton
02-29-2012, 11:33 AM
A better option would be to start the season on Sunday like they did for 3000 years.

This opening night thing for two teams is for the birds.

Forward_Lateral
02-29-2012, 11:46 AM
A better option would be to start the season on Sunday like they did for 3000 years.

Agreed. It's stupid. If it was the superbowl rematch every year, that would be another story.

ddaryl
02-29-2012, 11:51 AM
deleted since this is not supposed to go political, even though people are pretty ignorant to reality

Dr. Lecter
02-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Before somebody complains, whines, *****es, moans or otherwises objects - let's keep this thread dedicated to the football part and keep the politics in the other forum.

Dr. Lecter
02-29-2012, 11:56 AM

I don't mind it. Since I am often at the opener or maybe even out for it, this allows me to see the first game of the year. And extra football is not a bad thing.

Not to mention it is a business. And this makes perfect business sense.

Thurmal
02-29-2012, 11:56 AM
This sucks. Thursday is a good party night b/c you only have to get through Friday till the weekend. It's harder to justify Wednesday drinking.

stuckincincy
02-29-2012, 11:59 AM
It wouldn't;' be an issue if one party didn't obstruct, filibuster, and threaten to defund key legislature and ideas.

FACT is congress makes legislature, the president can only lay out a plan, and veto something he doesn't like

The Reps in the house have forwarded several budgets. Sen. majority leader Reid hasn't allowed a single budget to be voted on by the Senate for more than 1,000 day, so blocking the legislature.

Why is that?

Enjoy jibjab's take:

http://sendables.jibjab.com/originals/hes_barack_obama

Or your press allies:

http://sendables.jibjab.com/originals/what_we_call_the_news

And dust off the history books (those that survive) and read about the Weimer Republic...the things to come.

Or send an emil to whitethouse.gov about suspicious web sites like this one, as Obama et al requested.

Remember when he said "we will reward our friends and punish our enemies". Domestic, that is. I've never in my lifetime heard a President utter such menacing words.

How come the media isn't screaming about Obama's "oil buddies" every day, like when Bush was in the White House?

I recall those Dem commercials of old folks in wheelchairs being dumped over a cliff by Republicans. Now the Dems call SS tax a "payroll" tax (it's a savings plan, with all its' problems), and don't give a darn about old folks. They are now tossed under the bus.

You are in for a big surprise in coming years when this massive debt comes due.

Dr. Lecter
02-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Because he did not listen to the site admin who just asked that politics stay out of this thread?

Nobody ever listens to me.

DraftBoy
02-29-2012, 12:02 PM
This sucks. Thursday is a good party night b/c you only have to get through Friday till the weekend. It's harder to justify Wednesday drinking.

What is this justify term and what relation does it have to drinking?

DraftBoy
02-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Because he did not listen to the site admin who just asked that politics stay out of this thread?

Nobody ever listens to me.

As you say that a political ad runs below the thread...

DraftBoy
02-29-2012, 12:04 PM
As for moving it, they should, he's the President of the United States. You move the game, its that simple.

Politically agree with him or not, its out of respect for the office. The NFL made the right call on this one.

Plus we all know Obama loves his football, he probably called Roger for a favor so he wouldn't miss it either.

alohabillsfan
02-29-2012, 12:27 PM
They should have kept it on Thursday. Again, people have the right to choose what to watch. Watch football or the professional liar its your choice.

k-oneputt
02-29-2012, 01:16 PM
They should have kept it on Thursday. Again, people have the right to choose what to watch. Watch football or the professional liar its your choice.

That's his problem, everyone will watch the game instead of his bs speech.

Mski
03-02-2012, 03:10 PM
As for moving it, they should, he's the President of the United States. You move the game, its that simple.

Politically agree with him or not, its out of respect for the office. The NFL made the right call on this one.

Plus we all know Obama loves his football, he probably called Roger for a favor so he wouldn't miss it either.BINGO! Like the person or not, that is not what matters, Respect the elected Position.

moving the game is the right move, plain and simple... although i think friday would have been better than wednesday

Philagape
03-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Thing is, he's not speaking as the president, he's speaking as the nominee of his party. This is an openly political, partisan event. What if it had been the GOP convention?

alohabillsfan
03-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Thing is, he's not speaking as the president, he's speaking as the nominee of his party. This is an openly political, partisan event. What if it had been the GOP convention?

Thank you, at least some are educated....

Johnny Bugmenot
03-02-2012, 08:04 PM

Plus we all know Obama loves his football, he probably called Roger for a favor so he wouldn't miss it either.
Obama's not making the speech as President. This isn't the state of the union.

This speech is being made as a political candidate-- even more detestably, given the state of our union these days, an incumbent one.

While I understand the desire to not look biased after they already moved the game ahead an hour to allow McCain to do the same four years back... there is only one reason I can see this game being moved to a Wednesday, and that's money. The NFL took a big ratings hit by moving that game up an hour and out of prime time, so I think they're hoping that by moving it to another day (they can't do Friday because of antitrust laws) and keeping it in the prime time slot they can hold on to more viewers that way.

It could also be a test run for possible Wednesday night games in the future. But again, that would mean selling the broadcast rights-- and more money.