• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Buffalo scout tidbits

Alright, this is going to be a long post, so I'll shorten it as best as I can. There's a scout on another board who put down some notes from the combine (he was there in place of someone else).

I asked him about the Bills, if he had any info there and he gave me A LOT of stuff. Not a lot of it is new, but some confirmation of various things. And I should note that he talked to the Buffalo Bills' scouts, who don't always have that much influence, so TIFWIW. There's more info about this poster in my post here: Burfict notes.

I'll go ahead and reiterate - this is stuff he got from Buffalo scouts, and like we know, they don't have final say or anything. It's also a lot that has already been discussed. Just trying to provide as much info as possible.

Here we go:
    -- First of all, they like the chance Buffalo has to contend next year. Miami transitioning, Jets on the downhill slide, Pats having a poor defense, etc. There is a window they think the Bills can take advantage of if they stay healthy and have a good offseason. He said it's always a bad idea that if you have issues on one side of the ball (Miami's offense) to go ahead and change the other side of the ball.

-- They can't go for RGIII - too much cost (yes, I know this has been said before, just part of the info).

-- They're keeping an eye on many positions (rush LB's, WR, TE, developmental QB, DE, CB), but the main priority is getting pressure on the QB.

-- Don't think Bell will be re-signed. If he isn't, look for OT in first 3 rounds.

-- Looking at Coples, Upshaw in first. Bills were actually glad Upshaw had a bad combine, because if he blew up then he wouldn't be there at 10. This guy doesn't think Coples will be there at 10.

-- (This is the opinion of the scout I talked to, not Buffalo scouts) - there will be no LT or CB worth the pick at 10, including Kirkpatrick. He mentioned character problems for Kirkpatrick and Janoris Jenkins. He also said Kirkpatrick did well in interviews though.

-- The scouts spoke highly of Mercilus. Not so highly of our own David Nelson (say we need receivers badly).

-- Keep an eye on Michael Floyd. Scouts didn't specifically say anything, but he got the impression that was because they were being guarded about him - they smiled and kept quiet when Floyd came up. He said to watch for the Floyd talk to increase. Might also be because they want a team to trade up for him and thus move down in the process.

-- (This is the opinion of the scout I talked to, not Buffalo scouts) - he has concerns about Upshaw playing DE. He thinks the best thing for Buffalo to do is take Floyd or trade down. From his conversation, he believes the scouts would agree, but since they have no final say, he cautioned that's not necessarily what they will do.

-- He listed some names of guys Buffalo scouts have their eye on in the second round: Gilmore (DB), Dennard (DB), Allen (TE), Charles (TE), Hill (WR), Sanu (WR), Jeffery (WR). He couldn't remember the LT names they gave him, but he thought Sanders was the only one who might be there and worth the pick. For DE's, he said the names they gave him (like Mercilus) either won't be there in the second or aren't worth the pick. Doesn't think Buffalo will go DE in the second, as the value just isn't there.

As I've been saying, take it for what it's worth. Just chatter among scouts, it seems.

One other story he told was pretty funny. I'll just quote it:
    Crap! Forgot my favorite story! This happened a few years ago. OK- So one day I see Todd McShay there. He wasn’t even there for the whole combine; I bet he doesn’t tell the viewers of espn that. Anyway, so I see Todd with a bunch of scouts and one GM! They are talking and Todd has his notebook out and he’s writing down everything they say. He’s nodding his head repeatedly and writing real quickly. I step closer to hear what they are saying. And they are saying things like, “oh yeah, we love PLAYER X, we think he might go first round, early-second easy.” Or “PLAYER Y, everything thinks he’ll go first round but he won’t. He’ll go fourth round for… enter reason.” So I’m listening and this doesn’t at all give with what I have down or believe. I’m like what the hell are thee talking about? So after Todd leaves I approach the GM, who I know from other occasions. I go, “Sir, what the heck? Do you know something I don’t?” The GM and the scouts were cracking up and he said, “No, we were just F ing with him!” And they started betting on whether Todd would use this “insider information” on TV. Hilarious. They’d never do that to Mel or Mike, but Todd…. Yep. : )
    Last edited by psubills62; 02-29-2012, 03:47 PM.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • Cali512
    • Jan 2012

Re: Buffalo scout tidbits

Omg thats pretty funny. And wow, i thought we were strongly pursuing a OT for some reason, guess not. Also seems like Upshaw, Coples, Floyd, and Mercilus might be the pick
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

Your disclaimer about what the Bills might do is what matters, these guys won't get wind if they decide to move up in the draft or not.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
        • Sep 2009

They're not taking Mercilus with 10th pick.

Comment

• JCBills
          • Jan 2010

They publicly talked about wanting to re-sign Bell.

They have also publicly made knocks on him staying healthy, so I won't be shocked if they take an OT in the first 4 rounds.

Comment

• Buffalo Thriller
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by kingJofNYC
            We are talking about the Bills here.
            Originally posted by OpIv37
            You guys, the solution is so simple. Find the crazy kids who are shooting up the schools and have them shoot people getting off planes from West Africa.

No more school shootings, no more Ebola.

Obama would have thought of this already if he wasn't a pinko commie Nazi queer-loving wetback-loving Kenyan Indonesian Muslim.

Comment

• psubills62
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by kingJofNYC
              I didn't say they would. The guy I talked to agreed it would be a reach if they did. But he did say they liked him.

Originally posted by JCBills
              They publicly talked about wanting to re-sign Bell.

They have also publicly made knocks on him staying healthy, so I won't be shocked if they take an OT in the first 4 rounds.
              The scouts simply thought that in the end Buffalo won't re-sign Bell. They didn't rule it out. I'd personally like to see Bell re-signed.
              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Cali512
                Omg thats pretty funny. And wow, i thought we were strongly pursuing a OT for some reason, guess not. Also seems like Upshaw, Coples, Floyd, and Mercilus might be the pick
                I was a little confused when he said there wouldn't be an LT worth the pick at 10. I haven't followed the draft as closely this year, but I thought there would be some guys there. The stocks of Reiff and Martin do seem to have dropped though.
                - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Raptor
                  • Jan 2009

I really think Floyd is the pick if he's there

Comment

• Fixxxer
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by psubills62
                    I was a little confused when he said there wouldn't be an LT worth the pick at 10. I haven't followed the draft as closely this year, but I thought there would be some guys there. The stocks of Reiff and Martin do seem to have dropped though.
                    Maybe in the eyes of scouts Reiff is another Bulaga type player. A guy destined to play great at RT but that would struggle at times at LT.

Comment

• psubills62
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Fixxxer
                      Maybe in the eyes of scouts Reiff is another Bulaga type player. A guy destined to play great at RT but that would struggle at times at LT.
                      I actually saw elsewhere that people were beginning to put Reiff at OG based on the combine (measurements, drills, etc.). Not sure how true that is, but would explain a drop for Reiff.
                      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Coach Sal
                        • Aug 2006

Good stuff. Thanks.
                        Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
                        And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by psubills62
                          -- Keep an eye on Michael Floyd.
                          my sources tell me Fitz has been praying the rosary on an hourly basis

thanks psubills62.
                          Last edited by justasportsfan; 03-01-2012, 09:58 AM.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

I have read that the Bills scouts were told by Whaley to keep their eyes & ears open & their mouths shut at the combine so I find it hard to believe that one of them has been blabbing.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                              my sources tell me Fitz has been praying the rosary on an hourly basis

thanks psubills62.
                              My sources say he has been kissing the Quran.
                              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

Working...
                              X