Bills not in the running for RGIII (link)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Extremebillsfan247
    • Sep 2008

Bills not in the running for RGIII (link)

Buddy Nix was on WGR550 this morning and told WGR550 that the Bills are not going after RGIII. He did not rule out trading out of 10 to gain picks, but just doesn't like the idea of trading away draft picks for a prospect. He also talked about Stevie Johnson, free agency, and the combine.

On Stevie Johnson: The franchise tag has not been ruled out. The Bills will wait until the deadline to decide whether or not to use that option. Nix is hoping a deal gets done before then.

On Free Agency: The Bills plan on being aggressive in free agency, going in early looking for impact players at the right price according to Nix.

On the Combine: He liked some players. One name mentioned was Melvin Ingram. He did talk more about what the combine is used for by teams, and talked about the common misconception of risers and fallers based on 40 times, bench presses, and drills, etc.
    Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 03-01-2012, 09:07 AM.
  • ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: Bills not in the running for RGIII (link)

good now the RG3 threads can stop and everybody can enjoy some sobriety regarding this reality

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ddaryl
      good now the RG3 threads can stop and everybody can enjoy some sobriety regarding this reality
      It was fun for a little while anyway. lol

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Yawn.

First, only the most giddy homer thought we really had a chance at him.

Second, this is GM-speak. Even if Nix was attempting to trade up for RGIII, there is no way he would tell a reporter. You can't believe a word a GM says publicly this time of year. And that's not a knock on Nix-it's just the way the business works. It is not in a GM's interest to divulge their draft/FA strategy publicly because then other teams who want the same picks/players will know how to respond.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37
          Yawn.

First, only the most giddy homer thought we really had a chance at him.

Second, this is GM-speak. Even if Nix was attempting to trade up for RGIII, there is no way he would tell a reporter. You can't believe a word a GM says publicly this time of year. And that's not a knock on Nix-it's just the way the business works. It is not in a GM's interest to divulge their draft/FA strategy publicly because then other teams who want the same picks/players will know how to respond.
          Hey, it's a long offseason. Even if we already know how this thing is going to play out, it never hurts to have a little fun with it. I say whatever helps the time pass while we wait for legit news to break.

As far as Nix and GM speak goes, Nothing he really said in that interview is different from what he has said in the past. He is very consistent in his message about not wanting to give up draft picks, how the Bills handle free agency etc. Trading up never was a part of the Nix philosophy. Everyone here knows that. So your right at the outset of your post, this should come as a surprise to no one except those who haven't paid much attention to how this organization runs under Nix and Gailey, or simply refuse to acknowledge it. JMO
          Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 03-01-2012, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• JCBills
            • Jan 2010

If the #1 pick wasn't a lock, this would just be GM speak.

The #2 pick is basically the #1 pick this year, so openly talking about trading for it wouldn't be too big of a deal. The Rams have made it known they want to deal it. Best offer will get it, there isn't any game to be played here.

Love the idea of moving back, good to see he's open to the idea again this year.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by JCBills
              Love the idea of moving back, good to see he's open to the idea again this year.
              "again this year"? When has Nix made a draft day trade? He has stayed home and used his picks the last 2 years, don't know why one would think he will be turning into Trader Buddy this year.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Ickybaluky
                "again this year"? When has Nix made a draft day trade? He has stayed home and used his picks the last 2 years, don't know why one would think he will be turning into Trader Buddy this year.
                He's always open to trading to gain picks. He has a difficult time finding the right partner. There is a lot that goes into that decision. Nix isn't a wheeler and dealer type. He wont make a deal unless it's uber-benificial to the franchise. How far the team is going to end up dropping back in the draft, who could still be available at the pick that fits what the Bills want in a prospect, who is available at 10 that may still be there vs the prospect they could just take at 10, what the Bills stand to gain in return, all these things are considered among others. JMO

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
                  Hey, it's a long offseason. Even if we already know how this thing is going to play out, it never hurts to have a little fun with it. I say whatever helps the time pass while we wait for legit news to break.

As far as Nix and GM speak goes, Nothing he really said in that interview is different from what he has said in the past. He is very consistent in his message about not wanting to give up draft picks, how the Bills handle free agency etc. Trading up never was a part of the Nix philosophy. Everyone here knows that. So your right at the outset of your post, this should come as a surprise to no one except those who haven't paid much attention to how this organization runs under Nix and Gailey, or simply refuse to acknowledge it. JMO
                  I hope this isn't true.

I'm not saying that trading up for RGIII is the right move, but I think each draft and the prospects/opportunities for moving up need to be considered on their own merits.

I really hope Nix doesn't automatically rule out trading up every year based on some "philosophy."
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                    • Mar 2004

When's the last time a Bills' GM said they were going to be "aggressive" in Free Agency? I can't recall.

Comment

• JCBills
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Ickybaluky
                      Did I said he has?

I said he was open to the idea again, like he's stated he's open to it before.

Simmer down, now.

"Forget about the galgamecks?! Glablaghblaghadblah!!!"
                      Last edited by JCBills; 03-01-2012, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                        When's the last time a Bills' GM said they were going to be "aggressive" in Free Agency? I can't recall.
                        But even then he qualified the statement -"impact players AT THE RIGHT PRICE."

the built-in excuses are already starting.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                          • Mar 2004

Yes, but usually the standard quote isn't "we are going to be aggressive". It's usually we'll evaluate, blah blah blah blah.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                            Yes, but usually the standard quote isn't "we are going to be aggressive". It's usually we'll evaluate, blah blah blah blah.
                            Talk is cheap.

I agree that there is a difference in what they're saying this year, but I won't believe it until they actually do something. If they lose out because some other team goes ape-**** and throws $100 million at a guy like the Haynesworth deal, then I won't be pissed if they lose out. But if other teams are signing guys at 2012 salary levels and the Bills are sitting on their hands again, I'm gonna be pissed- especially since we have all that "rollover" cap space and can give some guys huge signing bonuses then lock them up for a few years.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• THRILLHO
                              This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
                              • Feb 2009

Yes, I was getting excited till I read "at the right price" and it was then I realized this was going to be like every other off season.
                              True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

Working...
                              X