X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Bills and Johnson can both make a statement for Buffalo

If you grew up in Western New York, you almost definitely have family or friends who left the area and now live in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Or Tampa, Florida.

Or Phoenix, Arizona.

Or ….. (fill in your choice of big city with warmer weather). Heck, a lot of you reading this may be one of those who moved away. You may be reading it from said non-Buffalo place. (Probably Charlotte. Isn’t half their population former Western New Yorkers?!)

No doubt one-way tickets out of Buffalo have certainly outnumbered those coming into this city for the better part of the last half-century.

The reasons are plentiful. Some may be because of family. Some go off to college then fall in love or find a job in their new town and stay there. But in many cases, it’s economic and/or job-related. And, really, as much as we love this place, we have to admit those reasons have had the truth and validity to justify them over the years, as painful as that is to admit sometimes. I left, too. I was gone for sixteen years until the dream, passion, and opportunity to do this finally brought me back.

I also had some friends recruiting me every few years. Reminding me how great the area is and why I needed to come back home to be a part of it again. But, of course, they never had to “sell me” on Buffalo. I’ve always been in love with it and known I wanted to find my way back here since the day I left.

Buddy Nix doesn’t have the same luxury. He has to sell this place, harder than most GMs have to sell their city. He admitted as much in his January 9th end-of-season press conference.......
    more...

Last edited by Coach Sal; 03-02-2012, 10:22 PM.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • tampabay25690
    • Feb 2004

Re: Bills and Johnson can both make a statement for Buffalo

Nicely said SAL.
    GO Gators!!!!!!
    GO GATORS!!

Comment

• jpdex12
      • Jan 2005

I live in Syracuse...not much different from my second favorite place Buffalo. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I know its tough living here sometimes from an economical standpoint but if us hearty dedicated people don't stay here and fight for greener pastures who will? Good things will come our way with continual hard work and stubborness. just like our beloved Bills!
      Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

Buddy has a tougher job selling Buffalo because his boss tried to stiff Wade Phillips on $$ owed to him 12 years ago and NFL people have long memories.

Combine that with poor GM/Coaching hires and many poor draft picks and the NFL's longest dry spell (playoffs) is easily explained.

The NFL fraternity has long memories and Ralph is still persona non grata with A LOT of people.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• ServoBillieves
          The Voice of Reason
          • Jul 2007

Born in Watertown, moved to Liverpool, moved to York PA, grew up in Pittsburgh, now live in Charlotte.

Spot on Sal, us WNY'ers tend to migrate south, but to be honest? I'd rather live in WNY... Miss it.
          Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• alohabillsfan
            • Sep 2003

Good morning from Jacksonville Fl. Ofcourse I left Rochester at the age of 17 via the US Navy. I just retire last month with almost 30 years. I plan to move back after I finish making my killing in real estate down here.

Comment

• tampabay25690
              • Feb 2004

I luv buffalo but like Sal said the economy drew me down south to Tampa...I still support my buffalo teams no matter what. I will still own my season tic for the bills just to show my support to keep the team in WNY...If you could pay me what my my wife and I make I will move tomorrow...
              GO Gators!!!!!!
              GO GATORS!!

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

Ironically, I know of one guy that can't leave Buffalo because he makes too much as an airline mechanic.

Comment

• Coach Sal
                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown
                  Ironically, I know of one guy that can't leave Buffalo because he makes too much as an airline mechanic.
                  Now that's a great story to hear and good testament to our area!
                  Click to listen:

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Comment

• Coach Sal
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
                    Good morning from Jacksonville Fl. Ofcourse I left Rochester at the age of 17 via the US Navy. I just retire last month with almost 30 years. I plan to move back after I finish making my killing in real estate down here.
                    Thank You.....

and THANK YOU!!
                    Click to listen:

Comment

• warsawbassman
                      • Oct 2006

I left WNY for warmer places and more money once.......I came back. I don't care if I make less, or have to deal with cold an snow. This is my home and I love it. If you think our winters are bad, spend May-Sept in Tampa.

Comment

• DrGraves
                        • Mar 2008

great story sal

Comment

• tampabay25690
                          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by warsawbassman
                          I left WNY for warmer places and more money once.......I came back. I don't care if I make less, or have to deal with cold an snow. This is my home and I love it. If you think our winters are bad, spend May-Sept in Tampa.
                          Summer isn't fun in florida but I'm use to it now
                          GO Gators!!!!!!
                          GO GATORS!!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

I will never leave Buffalo. I love it. Great people, great food, affordable living. My wife and I make good money.

Comment

• ds1724
                              • Dec 2011

Gotta make MORE money in NY state than other places to stay even...first is the income tax. 0% here in FL, then the high sales tax..8.75% up there, adds up, especially when buying a car..property tax, etc etc. I'll always love Buffalo...I moved back there from FL 4 years ago, made it three years then came back to FL because I couldn't get a job up there. The thing that bugs me the most is the people there....they stand in their OWN way. The NIMBYs who fight any sign of progress and development...the old school mentality. IT HASN'T WORKED OVER THE LAST 60 YEARS SO MAYBE YOU SHOULD OPEN YOUR MINDS. Ok I vented thanks :)

Comment

Working...
                              X