PDA

View Full Version : Bills 7 round Post Combine Mock Draft

tampabay25690
03-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Well I was bored today with my wife being home sick so I finally put together my Post Combine draft.
1st pick I am still stumped on what the Bills will do.
It makes sense that the Bills need help at DE, and OLB but there might not be that guy that fits the 4-3 DE mold that some are looking for.

Well here is my attempt.......

1. Riley Reiff OT, Iowa-There is nothing wrong with picking up 1 of the top OT in the draft. LT for years and adds another body to are Offensive Line.

2. Andre Branch DE, Clemson

3. Chandler Jones DE, Syracuse

4. Emmanuel Ancho OLB, Texas

4. Russel Wilson QB, Wisconsin

5. Dequan Menzie CB, Alabama

5. Devier Posey WR, Ohio St

6. Denangelo Peterson TE, LSU

7. Jaye Howard DT, Florida

elltrain22
03-03-2012, 10:52 PM
good picks. I love Wilson in rd 4.

JCBills
03-03-2012, 11:17 PM
1st round OT doesn't line up with how Nix has built teams, but I'm not saying it couldn't happen.

I like Branch, but depending on what DEs are there, wouldn't be my first pick in that spot.

Jones I'm not as high as some around here. Not enough production.

Acho I'm not a huge fan of and I think there will be some decent OLBs available at that pick.

Wilson I think is a wasted pick. I know guys overcome the height disadvantage, but those are few and far between.

Menzie again I'm not as crazy about him as some on here. Same deal with Acho here.

Posey had good practices at the Senior Bowl but a bad game showing. Could be a decent pick at that spot though, he has potential.

Peterson I haven't seen too much of, but from what I have I don't know why people are as high on him as they are.

DT is probably our lowest need so I'm guessing this is your fan pick.

clumping platelets
03-04-2012, 01:36 AM
No RB :negrep:

Mike
03-04-2012, 01:45 AM
1st round OT doesn't line up with how Nix has built teams, but I'm not saying it couldn't happen.

Thats a oxymoron. When has Nix ever built a team? This is his first GM position.

JCBills
03-04-2012, 02:45 AM
Thats a oxymoron. When has Nix ever built a team? This is his first GM position.

He was in charge of a lot of SD's draft choices. The earliest offensive lineman taken was McNeill in the 2nd.

Mike
03-04-2012, 03:30 AM
He was in charge of a lot of SD's draft choices. The earliest offensive lineman taken was McNeill in the 2nd.

Re-read my post. Then read it again, and then one last time to make sure you comprehended the full extent of it. But just in case, I will break it down for you.

1. He was never in charge of SD's draft choices. Scouts don't make the final decisions.
2. Even if what you are saying is true:
'He was in charge of a lot of SD's draft choices' DOES NOT EQUAL 'Nix built teams'

JCBills
03-04-2012, 03:39 AM
Re-read my post. Then read it again, and then one last time to make sure you comprehended the full extent of it. But just in case, I will break it down for you.

1. He was never in charge of SD's draft choices. Scouts don't make the final decisions.
2. Even if what you are saying is true:
'He was in charge of a lot of SD's draft choices' DOES NOT EQUAL 'Nix built teams'

Re-read my post. Then know what you're talking about.

Assistant GM / Director of Player Personnel Buddy Nix apparently did have a lot of say in who got drafted, at least according to the Chargers:

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=40894

I'm sure you know better than the organization though.

Mike
03-04-2012, 03:51 AM
Assistant GM / Director of Player Personnel Buddy Nix apparently did have a lot of say in who got drafted, at least according to the Chargers:

A. You are mistaking one thing for another
1. Of course he had 'a lot of say' in who got drafted. He was Director of Player Personnel
2. Just because he had a lot of say 'in who go drafted' does not mean he 'build' those teams

B. 'Build' is a loaded word. It means different things to different people.
1. If an engineer creates a bridge that instantly falls apart the second the last stone is placed, does that mean he built a bridge? If an artifact does not perform its function, such as the bridge, does this mean its a bridge?
2. Anyone can draft players, sign FA/Coaches etc, does that mean that all GMs build teams or are teams something more that a collection of players?
3. Was anything build if there is nothing of substance and value?

JCBills
03-04-2012, 03:56 AM
A. You are mistaking one thing for another
1. Of course he had 'a lot of say' in who got drafted. He was Director of Player Personnel
2. Just because he had a lot of say 'in who go drafted' does not mean he 'build' those teams

B. 'Build' is a loaded word. It means different things to different people.
1. If an engineer creates a bridge that instantly falls apart the second the last stone is placed, does that mean he built a bridge? If an artifact does not perform its function, such as the bridge, does this mean its a bridge?
2. Anyone can draft players, sign FA/Coaches etc, does that mean that all GMs build teams or are teams something more that a collection of players?
3. Was anything build if there is nothing of substance and value?
Again, nice.

Do we know if he had final say on every pick? No, but it seems like he was calling most of the shots on draft day.

I wouldn't claim that without knowing, so pardon me for not saying "helping to build". I don't think you should be nitpicking on phrasing though, not with the apparent lack of grammatical skill.

But "key role" would seem to lean close to what I'm saying.

"Leading up to the NFL Draft, Chargers.com will chronicle the draft process with Assistant General Manager and Director of Player Personnel Buddy Nix. In seven seasons with the Chargers, Nix has played a key role in all draft decisions, including decisions to choose Quentin Jammer, Philip Rivers, Shawne Merriman, Luis Castillo, Nick Hardwick. Igor Olshansky, Nate Kaeding, Vincent Jackson, Antonio Cromartie, Marcus McNeill, etc., etc., etc.."

alohabillsfan
03-04-2012, 06:50 AM
In this current back and forth debate I have Mike leading so far. JC better step up your game...

SquishDaFish
03-04-2012, 06:54 AM
In this current back and forth debate I have Mike leading so far. JC better step up your game...

I disagree. Ill say JC leading :lmao:

stuckincincy
03-04-2012, 06:59 AM
:shout:

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-04-2012, 07:44 AM
Wilson in the 4th is a waste unless he will be competing against the midget trainer for that spot on the roster

tampabay25690
03-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Wilson in the 4th is a waste unless he will be competing against the midget trainer for that spot on the roster

A waste why?
He played at Wisconsin with the biggest O LINES in college ball.
He didnt have a problem with that..
Height is nothing IMO especially with the offense we run that has a lot of bootlegs.
If the guy can play let him play.

Buffalo Thriller
03-04-2012, 09:49 AM
OT wouldnt bother me, but I still think we need to go D in the 1st.

YardRat
03-04-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm going to give the Reader's Digest condensed version of JC's post for those not interested in reading the long, unedited original....

"Wow, that draft sucks moose balls."

Cali512
03-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Cam Johnson is soooo much better than Branch. I LOVE Jones tho, put Johnson instead of Branch and i love it

ServoBillieves
03-04-2012, 11:12 AM
You're all freakin' wrong.

Trent Richardson #1

TigerJ
03-04-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm not a fan of drafting any QB who is not taller than me. I also believe any DT drafted by the Bills is a wasted pick at this point. I have a few other minor bones to pick with that draft. There are some good picks there too. Branch and Jones are solid picks IMO

The Jokeman
03-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Well I was bored today with my wife being home sick so I finally put together my Post Combine draft.
1st pick I am still stumped on what the Bills will do.
It makes sense that the Bills need help at DE, and OLB but there might not be that guy that fits the 4-3 DE mold that some are looking for.

Well here is my attempt.......

1. Riley Reiff OT, Iowa-There is nothing wrong with picking up 1 of the top OT in the draft. LT for years and adds another body to are Offensive Line.

2. Andre Branch DE, Clemson

3. Chandler Jones DE, Syracuse

4. Emmanuel Ancho OLB, Texas

4. Russel Wilson QB, Wisconsin

5. Dequan Menzie CB, Alabama

5. Devier Posey WR, Ohio St

6. Denangelo Peterson TE, LSU

7. Jaye Howard DT, Florida

I don't understand the love Chandler Jones is getting and if we were to grab Branch in Round 2 don't think we need Jones in Round 3. That said I really liked your 1st and 2nd Round selections. I'm not a big fan of Acho as a SLB. As several have stated Wilson's heigh puts him at a big disadvantage. If taking a QB in Round 4, Ryan Lindley is the guy I'm eyeing. Menzie is a good CB prospect but not sure why waiting on WR so long. As Posey has some nice things but rather take another WR earlier in the draft but wouldn't mind adding Posey to the mix. Peterson's a guy but not sure will be anything but an NFL backup at best which isn't a bad thing but the Bills do have question marks at the position so rather go sooner than later for this position. Howard was great value at that pick and it can't hurt to have another guy to play in the middle. I'll give you a C+ as again love the start. The middle had some hits and misses and you ended strong.

PTI
03-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Need a QB with size if we take one. This is year 3 of Chan, just remember, under .500 for two more years and Chan will be gone so this talk of the offense we run will be all gone and two years invested into a guy too small will have been wasted.

JCBills
03-04-2012, 01:19 PM

Leads me to question a whole lot.

;D

JCBills
03-04-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm going to give the Reader's Digest condensed version of JC's post for those not interested in reading the long, unedited original....

"Wow, that draft sucks moose balls."

Lol.

It just wasn't my favorite.

Its in the right direction for the most part, but some of those players have a good amount of reason to go later than where some project them.

tampabay25690
03-04-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm not a fan of drafting any QB who is not taller than me. I also believe any DT drafted by the Bills is a wasted pick at this point. I have a few other minor bones to pick with that draft. There are some good picks there too. Branch and Jones are solid picks IMO

Well everyone wants a perfect draft.

The Jokeman
03-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Well everyone wants a perfect draft.
I'd take another 1985 draft.....
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80222c9b/Top-Ten-Draft-Classes-1985-Buffalo-Bills
....and be so much better had we kept Chris Burkett and Dale Hellestrae.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-04-2012, 11:46 PM
I'd take another 1985 draft.....
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80222c9b/Top-Ten-Draft-Classes-1985-Buffalo-Bills
....and be so much better had we kept Chris Burkett and Dale Hellestrae.

wasnt derrick burroughs from that draft too?

clumping platelets
03-05-2012, 01:01 AM
Yes, he was picked just before some guy named Jerry Rice

Night Train
03-05-2012, 04:54 AM
If a LT like Reiff or Martin are the selection, I'm fine with that. LT IS a need.

I'm sure we'll see DE's and OLB's in FA or the draft.

Wilson may be 5-10 1/2 but he rolls out and creates his own open passing lanes with his speed. Good luck sacking him. He would never be sitting in the pocket.

Has incredible zip on his passes and can throw it 20 yards deeper than Fitz can. I'm not endorsing him but in the middle/late rounds, he's hardly a wasted pick. He proved behind a massive OL that he can move a team up and down the field. Scares the heck out of opposing D's.

Montana was an even 6 feet and being a little more than an inch shorter doesn't make him hopeless... especially when we had a guy playing QB for us that was 5-6 with lifts in his shoes and no arm ( Flutie ). Yet many loved the guy.