PDA

View Full Version : Bills to be more aggressive in free agency

The Spaz
03-05-2012, 06:05 AM
In past offseasons the Bills have waded carefully into the free agent market, letting the flurry of early signings go by the board before actively pursuing second tier talent that fit their philosophy and gave them good value for the money invested. When the bell rings for free agency in just over a week, the Bills will still pursue good value, but will be in the thick of the hunt from get go.

“Yes I would characterize our approach this time around as more aggressive,” Bills GM Buddy Nix told Buffalobills.com. “Our philosophy since we got here was build through the draft and then plug in mid-range guys in free agency. Wait until the first week has passed and the fanfare and overspending happens is probably over in the first three or four days. We’ve waited in the past.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-to-be-more-aggressive-in-free-agency/80078e75-86f0-4e6c-97fb-538d0a8d91ee

Mahdi
03-05-2012, 06:15 AM
Hopefully we go hard for a couple of the big time guys. At least attempt to make this a playoff team. If they just use us as bargaining chips so be it.

Then at least we can't complain.

X-Era
03-05-2012, 06:20 AM
Hopefully we go hard for a couple of the big time guys. At least attempt to make this a playoff team. If they just use us as bargaining chips so be it.

Then at least we can't complain.I think it will be a top free agent or two but not the top.

The V-Jax bidding appears to be lining up... I'd love to land him but I don't think we'll go after the top at any position. I don't see us bidding against teams like the Skins. I think it will be Marques Colston instead.

It won't be Mario Williams but maybe Cliff Avril is a possibility.

I'd like to see Curtis Lofton personally. That one player would significantly improve our defense.

Mahdi
03-05-2012, 06:32 AM
I think it will be a top free agent or two but not the top.

The V-Jax bidding appears to be lining up... I'd love to land him but I don't think we'll go after the top at any position. I don't see us bidding against teams like the Skins. I think it will be Marques Colston instead.

I'd like to see Curtis Lofton personally. That one player would significantly improve our defense.
I don't think we are going anywhere near Cliff Avril unless there are no other options. Avril is good as a pass rusher but gets run over in the run game and Wandstadt does not like DEs who struggle against the run.

A player I see the Bills going after might be Jeremy Mincey. Good against the run and had 8 sacks last year on a team that was behind a lot on the scoreboard. Only reason they may not go after him to hard is his age as he is 28 and Nix said he wants guys who are not looking for their last contracts.

Mahdi
03-05-2012, 06:35 AM
I think it will be a top free agent or two but not the top.

Lofton would improve our defense, but I would rather spend the FA dollars on DEs, CBs and OTs and DTs (I think the Bills just might go after Paul Soliai or Sammie Lee Hill). I would also like to see what Shep can do in the middle of a 4-3.

X-Era
03-05-2012, 06:56 AM
They mention strong side linebacker as a top need. I wonder if Lofton or Shepp could man that area.

Just not sold on Shepp and I want insurance.

I think they will be in hunt early on a few big time players.

Mahdi
03-05-2012, 07:14 AM
They mention strong side linebacker as a top need. I wonder if Lofton or Shepp could man that area.

Just not sold on Shepp and I want insurance.

I think they will be in hunt early on a few big time players.
I think they could target an OLB in the mid area of the draft because 4-3 OLBs are not heavily targeted early. Whereas paying top 4-3 LB in FA would be quite expensive. It just makes business sense to go after LBs in the draft. DL and CB on the other hand especially pass rushers and shut down guys are rare so they might have to find some experience in FA to solidify their units.

tampabay25690
03-05-2012, 07:18 AM
I don't think we are going anywhere near Cliff Avril unless there are no other options. Avril is good as a pass rusher but gets run over in the run game and Wandstadt does not like DEs who struggle against the run.

A player I see the Bills going after might be Jeremy Mincey. Good against the run and had 8 sacks last year on a team that was behind a lot on the scoreboard. Only reason they may not go after him to hard is his age as he is 28 and Nix said he wants guys who are not looking for their last contracts.

Mincey is a solid player wouldn't mind.

tampabay25690
03-05-2012, 07:19 AM
Lofton would improve our defense, but I would rather spend the FA dollars on DEs, CBs and OTs and DTs (I think the Bills just might go after Paul Soliai or Sammie Lee Hill). I would also like to see what Shep can do in the middle of a 4-3.

Shepp will be fine in a 4-3 and its perfect for him because he has Kyle Williams and Dareus taking up alot of room.
Best thing is he is only going to get better, the guy was a rookie last year calling plays...

DraftBoy
03-05-2012, 07:20 AM
I think we'll be signing a larger quantity of FA, maybe not as much quality as some here insist on.

If Stevie ends up being our biggest FA move, are people going to be disappointed with that?

X-Era
03-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Shepp will be fine in a 4-3 and its perfect for him because he has Kyle Williams and Dareus taking up alot of room.
Best thing is he is only going to get better, the guy was a rookie last year calling plays...Williams and Dareus will help anyone. But Shepp's recognition and speed to the ball remains a concern for me. If anything he now will have even more area he's responsible for. I want it to work out but I have real concerns about him. I just want insurance.

X-Era
03-05-2012, 07:24 AM
I think we'll be signing a larger quantity of FA, maybe not as much quality as some here insist on.

If Stevie ends up being our biggest FA move, are people going to be disappointed with that?Not necessarily. I'd be good with solid but not great players at a few spots. The IR situation was a major reason for us falling apart. Depth has been a major concern for me for many years.

It would then really depend on how strong our draft would be.

But it's the Bills themselves that are singing a different tune this year and getting some of us excited. I think we will see some guys that are a step above what we normally would sign. Again, I don't think it will be V-Jax or Mario Williams though.

tampabay25690
03-05-2012, 07:30 AM

If Stevie ends up being our biggest FA move, are people going to be disappointed with that?

I think so.

tampabay25690
03-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Williams and Dareus will help anyone. But Shepp's recognition and speed to the ball remains a concern for me. If anything he now will have even more area he's responsible for. I want it to work out but I have real concerns about him. I just want insurance.

I agree but the guy was just a rookie last year he got better through the year.
But I do think we need another guy at ILB, I think barnett will play ILB on 3rd downs but OLB on 1st and 2nd....Shepp is a good 1st and 2nd down guy but not a great 3rd down LB...

OpIv37
03-05-2012, 07:34 AM

Absolutely. Don't make me bust out the quote about doing the same thing and expecting different results.

This team needs to get better. Status quo doesn't get it done.

So, I hope this talk about being aggressive in FA is true, but talk is cheap, and so is Ralph. I'll believe it when I see it.

Skooby
03-05-2012, 07:55 AM
I'm from the show me state so until they do something, I can't buy it. Keep selling tickets is their motto right now, so much of this is fluff.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-05-2012, 07:57 AM
hopefully wimbley gets cut... he could start right now for us and allow us to take curry in rd 2...

better days
03-05-2012, 07:58 AM
Not necessarily. I'd be good with solid but not great players at a few spots. The IR situation was a major reason for us falling apart. Depth has been a major concern for me for many years.

It would then really depend on how strong our draft would be.

But it's the Bills themselves that are singing a different tune this year and getting some of us excited. I think we will see some guys that are a step above what we normally would sign. Again, I don't think it will be V-Jax or Mario Williams though.

Well, if the Bills REALLY want to get people excited, Mario Williams is the guy they should go hard after.

tampabay25690
03-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Well, if the Bills REALLY want to get people excited, Mario Williams is the guy they should go hard after.

If the Bills want to sell tickets and alot of them Mario Williams would be a great 1st start...

stuckincincy
03-05-2012, 08:11 AM

I like Mincey, too.

Low miles on his body...

http://www.nfl.com/player/jeremymincey/2495912/profile

stuckincincy
03-05-2012, 08:46 AM
I'm from the show me state so until they do something, I can't buy it. Keep selling tickets is their motto right now, so much of this is fluff.

How dare you let history be your guide... :pirate2:

ddaryl
03-05-2012, 10:16 AM

Yes.. We need to make another impact move on top of a few 2nd tier improvements and depth moves

Night Train
03-05-2012, 10:20 AM
I like Mincey, too.

Me 3.

He's a good player. Save on the annual Kelsay extension and throw him the $$.

Mski
03-05-2012, 10:34 AM
If the Bills want to sell tickets and alot of them Mario Williams would be a great 1st start...resign stevie today, sign Williams next week.... that would make for a very sucessful off season, and really increase season tickets sales

Mindbender
03-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Cliff Avril was tagged btw.

X-Era
03-05-2012, 10:44 AM
resign stevie today, sign Williams next week.... that would make for a very sucessful off season, and really increase season tickets salesWith Williams we could be looking at a 12 mill per contract. I can't see us paying that.

If it was 10 mill per I'd say we have a chance to be willing to pay it.

Ed
03-05-2012, 10:47 AM
There's no reason for the Bills not to at least test the waters with Mario Williams. He's the best player available and fills our biggest need. I'm not going to hold my breath, but they might as well try. We have enough extra draft picks that we should be able to add some decent depth. So I say try and go big in free agency.

My guess is the Bills end up getting a starting SLB and another WR in free agency. Maybe a decent CB too that can at least compete for a starting spot and add some depth. Plus a couple additional depth players.

X-Era
03-05-2012, 10:49 AM
There's no reason for the Bills not to at least test the waters with Mario Williams. He's the best player available and fills our biggest need. I'm not going to hold my breath, but they might as well try. We have enough extra draft picks that we should be able to add some decent depth. So I say try and go big in free agency.

My guess is the Bills end up getting a starting SLB and another WR in free agency. Maybe a decent CB too that can at least compete for a starting spot and add some depth. Plus a couple additional depth players.I would test the waters on him.

I just think it may take the largest contract the Bills have ever doled out. And on a guy we didn't draft and that's coming off an injured year.

Just so un-Nix like it's ridiculous. But who knows, maybe.

Ed
03-05-2012, 11:00 AM
I would test the waters on him.

I just think it may take the largest contract the Bills have ever doled out. And on a guy we didn't draft and that's coming off an injured year.

Just so un-Nix like it's ridiculous. But who knows, maybe.
I agree, but they still have quite a bit of money to spend and if they plan to spend to the cap like they said, they're going to have to spend it on someone.

I know Dockery was a bust, but wasn't his $47 million deal the largest in team history?

It does seem unlikely that they'll throw big money at Williams, but this is also a pretty crtical year for Nix and Gailey, and if there's a player that's worth taking that risk on it's probably Mario Williams. I mean great pass rushers in their prime rarely hit free agency. They're probably not going to have another opportunity to make this kind of an impact move. And if they only rely on some rookies to improve our pass rush, they're really taking a gamble too.

madness
03-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Now Mario Williams has a little under 4 hrs. before he can start worrying about FA.

Ickybaluky
03-05-2012, 11:17 AM
I know Dockery was a bust, but wasn't his $47 million deal the largest in team history?

Dockery only played 2 years, so he collected $18.5M of that contract.

It isn't the total value of the contract, it is the guarantee.

Demarcus Ware got a $20M signing bonus and $40M in guarantees on a 6-year deal in 2009. Haloti Ngata got a $25M signing bonus and $37.5M in guarantees on a 6-year deal last year. Williams is likely going to get more than that.

Granted, he is worth it, it isn't a bad decision to pay a great player a lot of money. However, the up-front money is what a lot of teams will hesitate on. Guarantees have to be funded up front, so any team that signs Williams has to be prepared to cut him a check for $20-some million up front and place another $20-some million aside to fund the guarantee.

X-Era
03-05-2012, 11:19 AM
I agree, but they still have quite a bit of money to spend and if they plan to spend to the cap like they said, they're going to have to spend it on someone.

It does seem unlikely that they'll throw big money at Williams, but this is also a pretty crtical year for Nix and Gailey, and if there's a player that's worth taking that risk on it's probably Mario Williams. I mean great pass rushers in their prime rarely hit free agency. They're probably not going to have another opportunity to make this kind of an impact move. And if they only rely on some rookies to improve our pass rush, they're really taking a gamble too.I'd love for us to go after him.

But were talking about a huge investment. I think the market value will be what determines how far we wade into those waters. I just can't see us making a serious bid if it's 12 mill per.

OpIv37
03-05-2012, 11:19 AM

My guess is the Bills end up getting a starting SLB and another WR in free agency. Maybe a decent CB too that can at least compete for a starting spot and add some depth. Plus a couple additional depth players.

I would love to know how a) NFL FO's in general and b) the Bills' FO in particulr act in situations like this.

Clearly, DE is our biggest need and clearly, Mario Williams is the best one available this year. I would hope that our FO at least contacts the agent of the best FA's available in positions of need EVERY off-season, even if they generally know that we stand very little chance of signing them.

A phone call can't hurt, and sometimes they may find that they are not as far off as they think they are.

I would be angry if I found out that the FO isn't at least pursuing it.

Mski
03-05-2012, 11:24 AM

It does seem unlikely that they'll throw big money at Williams, but this is also a pretty crtical year for Nix and Gailey, and if there's a player that's worth taking that risk on it's probably Mario Williams. I mean great pass rushers in their prime rarely hit free agency. They're probably not going to have another opportunity to make this kind of an impact move. And if they only rely on some rookies to improve our pass rush, they're really taking a gamble too. there is no risk in Williams... a former #1 overall who has shown that he is dominate in both a 4-3 (our new base scheme) and 3-4 (what he played in last year

X-Era
03-05-2012, 11:28 AM
I would love to know how a) NFL FO's in general and b) the Bills' FO in particulr act in situations like this.

Clearly, DE is our biggest need and clearly, Mario Williams is the best one available this year. I would hope that our FO at least contacts the agent of the best FA's available in positions of need EVERY off-season, even if they generally know that we stand very little chance of signing them.

A phone call can't hurt, and sometimes they may find that they are not as far off as they think they are.

I would be angry if I found out that the FO isn't at least pursuing it.Why would you place a call to an agent for a player that will have a bidding war for his services? We know that the Bills will be outbid by teams that don't care about the cost.

On the flip side it is just a phone call. Sure, we could afford to invest the time it takes to place a phone call.

Mr. Miyagi
03-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Mario Williams to the Bills would be what Reggie White was to Green Bay. Before Reggie, players were banished to Green Bay. Reggie made it cool for all future FAs to sign there. We are in the same boat.

X-Era
03-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Mario Williams to the Bills would be what Reggie White was to Green Bay. Before Reggie, players were banished to Green Bay. Reggie made it cool for all future FAs to sign there. We are in the same boat.Oh trust me. I would be very happy about that move. Really think we'd make a huge investment like that?

EDS
03-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Hard to be less aggressive then the Bills have been in free agency the past few years . . .

stuckincincy
03-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Hard to be less aggressive then the Bills have been in free agency the past few years . . .

True.

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled lousy free agents yearning to breathe free and play the Vegas tables with this $$$ manna you gave me..."

better days
03-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Dockery only played 2 years, so he collected $18.5M of that contract.

It isn't the total value of the contract, it is the guarantee.

Demarcus Ware got a $20M signing bonus and $40M in guarantees on a 6-year deal in 2009. Haloti Ngata got a $25M signing bonus and $37.5M in guarantees on a 6-year deal last year. Williams is likely going to get more than that.

Granted, he is worth it, it isn't a bad decision to pay a great player a lot of money. However, the up-front money is what a lot of teams will hesitate on. Guarantees have to be funded up front, so any team that signs Williams has to be prepared to cut him a check for $20-some million up front and place another $20-some million aside to fund the guarantee.

Well, Dockery collected about $18M more than he was worth in those two years.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-05-2012, 01:03 PM
I'd suggest everyone go back to listen Nix's interview on wgr. I think I sense that they are going to try Mario. Nix said the usual top FA guys cost more money than they worth at the beginning, but then added that for guys proven, who can step in and help you right away, you may have to over pay. I can't help thinking Mario is that kind of a guy.

Like I said in another thread, Buffalo, as a city and team, not a more attractive spot for many people. So like Clabo last year, Nix and company can have all the good intentions and it still won't work.

Ed
03-05-2012, 01:19 PM
there is no risk in Williams... a former #1 overall who has shown that he is dominate in both a 4-3 (our new base scheme) and 3-4 (what he played in last year
Well there's always a risk when you're talking about making someone the highest paid player ever at their position. No question that Mario Williams is an awesome player, but anytime you commit such a significant amount of your cap to one player you're taking a risk because if they get hurt you're losing out big time on your investment.

I think it's the kind of move the Bills have to consider making though at this point. We haven't made the playoffs in 12 years. Fans are getting frustrated and losing interest. Ralph probably doesn't have much time left. They just don't have much to lose at this point to not try and be a major player. Show the league that we're serious about trying to be contenders. Yeah, we'd have to overpay, but like someone else said, it could have a Reggie White like impact.

A couple things the Bills could have going for them too is that Mario probably prefers playing in a 4-3 since he's had the most success in that formation. He'd also get to play with two great DT's to draw attention away. And defensive players seem to generally like playing for Wanstedt and his scheme.

Philagape
03-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Of all the options, draft and FA, the only one that has a good chance to truly change the direction of this franchise, and is possible, is Mario. It looks like an elite, proven player at their greatest need will be available. He is worth betting the farm.
Do I think it will happen? Not really. But they have to try, and I mean really try.

X-Era
03-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Of all the options, draft and FA, the only one that has a good chance to truly change the direction of this franchise, and is possible, is Mario. It looks like an elite, proven player at their greatest need will be available. He is worth betting the farm.
Do I think it will happen? Not really. But they have to try, and I mean really try.I just cant agree that they have to try. They don't. If they can add a 8 sack guy vs. a 12 sack per year guy that's still a quality player added. But the bigger point is that if they feel they have no shot at him due to a bidding war or Buffalo not being desirable, why put up the money or spend the time chasing him? Go after a much more realistic target that you could actually get.

If they have no intention of paying top dollar, you won't get him so don't even try.

Philagape
03-05-2012, 04:23 PM
I just cant agree that they have to try. They don't. If they can add a 8 sack guy vs. a 12 sack per year guy that's still a quality player added. But the bigger point is that if they feel they have no shot at him due to a bidding war or Buffalo not being desirable, why put up the money or spend the time chasing him? Go after a much more realistic target that you could actually get.

This is what the Sabres did last year. Got them Ville Leino.
The Bills signed a "quality player" last year in Barnett. Signing one or two of them a year doesn't make the team a contender. I'm tired of 20 years of mediocrity. They won't take the next step until they get a sack (no pun intended), think big and take chances.

If they have no intention of paying top dollar, you won't get him so don't even try.

That's what I mean by really trying. No cheap trying.

X-Era
03-05-2012, 04:25 PM
This is what the Sabres did last year. Got them Ville Leino.
The Bills signed a "quality player" last year in Barnett. Signing one or two of them a year doesn't make the team a contender. I'm tired of 20 years of mediocrity. They won't take the next step until they get a sack (no pun intended), think big and take chances.

That's what I mean by really trying. No cheap trying.

If they are willing to pay top dollar (the offer is truly competitive) I'm all for it. But if they are just going to play us like they were serious to look like they tried. No. It's BS and I'm tired of it. If that's the case just be honest and come out and tell us they went hard after second tier guys and skipped the big ticket guys.

THRILLHO
03-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Lets not forget the qualifier Nix put out there last week:

"...at the right price."

I am expecting to hear a lot of; "Well, we were interested but the price wasn't right for us."