X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Bills to be more aggressive in free agency

In past offseasons the Bills have waded carefully into the free agent market, letting the flurry of early signings go by the board before actively pursuing second tier talent that fit their philosophy and gave them good value for the money invested. When the bell rings for free agency in just over a week, the Bills will still pursue good value, but will be in the thick of the hunt from get go.

“Yes I would characterize our approach this time around as more aggressive,” Bills GM Buddy Nix told Buffalobills.com. “Our philosophy since we got here was build through the draft and then plug in mid-range guys in free agency. Wait until the first week has passed and the fanfare and overspending happens is probably over in the first three or four days. We’ve waited in the past.

• Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Re: Bills to be more aggressive in free agency

Hopefully we go hard for a couple of the big time guys. At least attempt to make this a playoff team. If they just use us as bargaining chips so be it.

Then at least we can't complain.

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi
      Hopefully we go hard for a couple of the big time guys. At least attempt to make this a playoff team. If they just use us as bargaining chips so be it.

Then at least we can't complain.
      I think it will be a top free agent or two but not the top.

The V-Jax bidding appears to be lining up... I'd love to land him but I don't think we'll go after the top at any position. I don't see us bidding against teams like the Skins. I think it will be Marques Colston instead.

It won't be Mario Williams but maybe Cliff Avril is a possibility.

I'd like to see Curtis Lofton personally. That one player would significantly improve our defense.

Comment

• Mahdi
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by X-Era

The V-Jax bidding appears to be lining up... I'd love to land him but I don't think we'll go after the top at any position. I don't see us bidding against teams like the Skins. I think it will be Marques Colston instead.

I'd like to see Curtis Lofton personally. That one player would significantly improve our defense.
        I don't think we are going anywhere near Cliff Avril unless there are no other options. Avril is good as a pass rusher but gets run over in the run game and Wandstadt does not like DEs who struggle against the run.

A player I see the Bills going after might be Jeremy Mincey. Good against the run and had 8 sacks last year on a team that was behind a lot on the scoreboard. Only reason they may not go after him to hard is his age as he is 28 and Nix said he wants guys who are not looking for their last contracts.

Comment

• Mahdi
          • Mar 2004

Lofton would improve our defense, but I would rather spend the FA dollars on DEs, CBs and OTs and DTs (I think the Bills just might go after Paul Soliai or Sammie Lee Hill). I would also like to see what Shep can do in the middle of a 4-3.

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

They mention strong side linebacker as a top need. I wonder if Lofton or Shepp could man that area.

Just not sold on Shepp and I want insurance.

I think they will be in hunt early on a few big time players.

Comment

• Mahdi
              • Mar 2004

They mention strong side linebacker as a top need. I wonder if Lofton or Shepp could man that area.

Just not sold on Shepp and I want insurance.

I think they will be in hunt early on a few big time players.
              I think they could target an OLB in the mid area of the draft because 4-3 OLBs are not heavily targeted early. Whereas paying top 4-3 LB in FA would be quite expensive. It just makes business sense to go after LBs in the draft. DL and CB on the other hand especially pass rushers and shut down guys are rare so they might have to find some experience in FA to solidify their units.

Comment

• tampabay25690
                • Feb 2004

I don't think we are going anywhere near Cliff Avril unless there are no other options. Avril is good as a pass rusher but gets run over in the run game and Wandstadt does not like DEs who struggle against the run.

A player I see the Bills going after might be Jeremy Mincey. Good against the run and had 8 sacks last year on a team that was behind a lot on the scoreboard. Only reason they may not go after him to hard is his age as he is 28 and Nix said he wants guys who are not looking for their last contracts.
                Mincey is a solid player wouldn't mind.
                GO Gators!!!!!!
                GO GATORS!!

Comment

• tampabay25690
                  • Feb 2004

Lofton would improve our defense, but I would rather spend the FA dollars on DEs, CBs and OTs and DTs (I think the Bills just might go after Paul Soliai or Sammie Lee Hill). I would also like to see what Shep can do in the middle of a 4-3.
                  Shepp will be fine in a 4-3 and its perfect for him because he has Kyle Williams and Dareus taking up alot of room.
                  Best thing is he is only going to get better, the guy was a rookie last year calling plays...
                  GO Gators!!!!!!
                  GO GATORS!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

I think we'll be signing a larger quantity of FA, maybe not as much quality as some here insist on.

If Stevie ends up being our biggest FA move, are people going to be disappointed with that?
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by tampabay25690
                      Shepp will be fine in a 4-3 and its perfect for him because he has Kyle Williams and Dareus taking up alot of room.
                      Best thing is he is only going to get better, the guy was a rookie last year calling plays...
                      Williams and Dareus will help anyone. But Shepp's recognition and speed to the ball remains a concern for me. If anything he now will have even more area he's responsible for. I want it to work out but I have real concerns about him. I just want insurance.
                      Last edited by X-Era; 03-05-2012, 07:24 AM.

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                        I think we'll be signing a larger quantity of FA, maybe not as much quality as some here insist on.

If Stevie ends up being our biggest FA move, are people going to be disappointed with that?
                        Not necessarily. I'd be good with solid but not great players at a few spots. The IR situation was a major reason for us falling apart. Depth has been a major concern for me for many years.

It would then really depend on how strong our draft would be.

But it's the Bills themselves that are singing a different tune this year and getting some of us excited. I think we will see some guys that are a step above what we normally would sign. Again, I don't think it will be V-Jax or Mario Williams though.

Comment

• tampabay25690
                          • Feb 2004

I think so.
                          GO Gators!!!!!!
                          GO GATORS!!

Comment

• tampabay25690
                            • Feb 2004

Williams and Dareus will help anyone. But Shepp's recognition and speed to the ball remains a concern for me. If anything he now will have even more area he's responsible for. I want it to work out but I have real concerns about him. I just want insurance.
                            I agree but the guy was just a rookie last year he got better through the year.
                            But I do think we need another guy at ILB, I think barnett will play ILB on 3rd downs but OLB on 1st and 2nd....Shepp is a good 1st and 2nd down guy but not a great 3rd down LB...
                            GO Gators!!!!!!
                            GO GATORS!!

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Absolutely. Don't make me bust out the quote about doing the same thing and expecting different results.

This team needs to get better. Status quo doesn't get it done.

So, I hope this talk about being aggressive in FA is true, but talk is cheap, and so is Ralph. I'll believe it when I see it.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X