PDA

View Full Version : Possible Bills FA Targets

Mahdi
03-05-2012, 09:59 AM
As long as Nix says he will be aggressive I'll take him at his word. But right away I discount the top two FAs at any position because its doubtful we have any chance to sign them.

So here is a potential list of FAs I see the Bills going hard after on day one while everyone else is distracted by the big ticket guys...

DE Jeremy Mincey (Jags): Solid run defender, big body at 6'3 270 and gets pressure on the QB. Played on an average DL last year and on a team that was not often in the lead. Still managed 8 sacks. Good all-around player. Age might be prohibitive (28).

DE Mark Anderson (Pats): This guy was a beast in Chicago but had a quick decline in performance which led him to New England as a FA after only a decent season in Houston. Playing in the Pats system he rejuvenated his career and posted 10 sacks and put plenty of pressure on opposing QBs. He is the prototype Wandstadt DE though so his age at 29 might be overlooked.

DE Michael Bennett (Bucs): Bennett is young at 26 and is also one of the best run stuffing DEs in FA. He is also a good pass rusher although his numbers didn't reflect it as much as you'd like. For a LDE he would be a good fit in the Bills setup who are struggling to stop RBs.

DE Trevor Scott (Raiders): When he played purely as a DE he was very good for the Raiders as an edge rusher. Then he was moved back to OLB and wasn't quite as effective. Scott can regain his form as a pass rusher in the right situation. Age 28.

DT Paul Soliai (Dolphins): Wandstadt is known for having a big DT as part of his defensive lines. He has always typically had one very large 2 gapper who is dominant in the run game. Buffalo has Darius but I think they will be looking to pair someone next to him that will allow him to focus on getting in the backfield. This will keep KW fresher and doing what he does best.

DT Sammie Lee Hill (Lions): Hill is a huge DT at 6'4 330. Very good against the run and surprisingly also efficient pushing the pocket in the pass rush. Is still very young at 25 so is more of a fit with Nix's FA profile.

DT Pat Sims (Bengals): This guy was really good for the Bengals a couple years ago as a run defender and pass rusher from the inside but didn't have quite the impact last year. He is still only 26 and in the right situation can be a very good player.

SOLB Manny Lawson: Making the switch to a 4-3 team was good for Manny and he was apparently good against the run. He definitely has elite speed which is another characteristic of Wandstadt players at the LB position.

OT Jared Gaither (Chargers): Gaither was extremely solid for the Chargers when they picked him up off waivers from the Chiefs and is still only 26. Very good in both run blocking and pass pro.

OT Anthony Collins (Bengals): Collins should be starting for someone in the NFL. A very underrated OT and is a big man who plays run and pass very well. Still only 26.

OT Barry Richardson (Chiefs): Another OT that is a backup but can easily be a starter for someone. Richardson is a massive OT and has plenty of potential. Age 26.

OT King Dunlap (Eagles): Dunlap played spot duty when the Eagles had injuries at the position last year and actually did a good job. With some work can be a starter at RT or LT but is also good for quality depth.

CB Terrell Thomas (Giants): I see Thomas as a serious target for the Bills. He would give them size at CB which they need and is also a very talented cover guy. He is coming off injury so that should reduce his price tag enough for the Bills to show serious interest.

CB Tracy Porter (Saints): Didn't have a great year last year but has the ability to be a #2 CB. Might even be better in a simpler defensive scheme that blitzes less.

CB William Middleton (Jags): I don't know much about him by reports are that he filled in more than adequately for Rashean Mathis last season and has a very high ceiling. Could be a FA gem for someone.

CB Cortland Finnegan (Titans): I see him as a perfect fit in the Bills new D. Coming from a very similar defense in Tennessee to what Wanny runs, not that it makes much difference. He's a very good tackler and tough which the Bills need more of. Market demand will be high for him, so its doubtful.

WR Laurent Robinson (Cowboys): Robinson exploded last year with the Boys showing great hands and precision route running. He's not huge but not a small guy either at 6'2 194. With all the other receivers on the market he could be a steal.

WR Dwayne Bowe (Chiefs): This one is obvious but he will cost a lot and the Bills will have already paid Stevie. I personally see the #2 WR spot addressed in the draft rather than FA.

WR Adrian Arrington (Saints): Some people will say Colston is clearly a better FA target but he's 29 which may not fit the Bills right now. Arrington has been stuck behind quality receivers in New Orleans but I think he has talent that's waiting to breakout.

TE Martellus Bennett (Cowboys): Bennett has been playing behind one of the best TE in the NFL in Witten. I don't think he is a PBer but he has more to give as a starter and is very athletic. Still only 25.

PromoTheRobot
03-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Trevor Scott played his college ball at the University at Buffalo. Teammate of Naaman.

PTR

X-Era
03-05-2012, 10:18 AM
A few you didn't list.

Curtis Lofton and Levi Brown appear to both be hitting the market. I'd also look at guys like Colston and Eddie Royal. Also, re-signing Lee Evans late in FA could be possible.

Mahdi
03-05-2012, 10:21 AM
A few you didn't list.

Curtis Lofton and Levi Brown appear to both be hitting the market. I'd also look at guys like Colston and Eddie Royal. Also, re-signing Lee Evans late in FA could be possible.
Lofton is going to be one of those top guys at his position everyone will be going after. I didn't list inside LBs cause I don't think their in the market for one.

Levi Brown is a good one. Could start on either side and good depth.

Colston I left out because of age and injuries.

stuckincincy
03-05-2012, 10:29 AM

So here is a potential list of FAs I see the Bills going hard after on day one while everyone else is distracted by the big ticket guys...

DT Pat Sims (Bengals): This guy was really good for the Bengals a couple years ago as a run defender and pass rusher from the inside but didn't have quite the impact last year. He is still only 26 and in the right situation can be a very good player.

SOLB Manny Lawson: Making the switch to a 4-3 team was good for Manny and he was apparently good against the run. He definitely has elite speed which is another characteristic of Wandstadt players at the LB position.

OT Anthony Collins (Bengals): Collins should be starting for someone in the NFL. A very underrated OT and is a big man who plays run and pass very well. Still only 26.

Re:

Sims deserves a serious look-see. Good player,pushed the pocket hard,was part of the rotation, but busted his arm. Remains to be seen if he's recovered. I think CIN re-signs J. Fanene and Frostee Rucker.

CIN is flush with cap $. My guess is that both Lawson and Collins get re-signed. Former#1 Keith Rivers' status is in limbo. He broke a wrist somehow, before the 2011 season - Hines Ward broke his jaw with a cheap shot in '10, but he really didn't justify his high pick before that.

If he's cut,I'd be circumspect about signing him.

Mindbender
03-05-2012, 10:36 AM
A few you didn't list.

Really? Possible I guess but I'd say the chance is so low it's not worth mentioning. What are your thoughts about him re-signing?

Ickybaluky
03-05-2012, 10:36 AM
I can't believe you put King Dunlap on the list. The guy sucks donkey balls. He is huge, but he can't move well enough to play OT. The Eagles ended up trying him at OG, but he is too tall for that. I'm not sure what you see in him. The only reason he even got any playing time in Philly was because Winston Justice was terrible.

X-Era
03-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Really? Possible I guess but I'd say the chance is so low it's not worth mentioning. What are your thoughts about him re-signing?Some very minimal contract. Still has great hands and good speed. If he came in knowing he's simply in the mix as a #3 WR, I wouldn't mind it.

I'm also looking at Easley being a huge unknown, Parrish probably not coming back and the rest outside of Jones and Nelson being questionable as well.

And it really isn't like Jones has proven much either.

The Spaz
03-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Would like Bowe but that's too much money at WR. Would love to get Laurent Robinson as a compliment WR to Stevie though!

Ickybaluky
03-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Would like Bowe but that's too much money at WR.

Bowe is likely to be franchised if he isn't re-signed today. Also, Terrell Thomas has said he is close to a deal with the Giants.

Mahdi
03-05-2012, 10:47 AM
I can't believe you put King Dunlap on the list. The guy sucks donkey balls. He is huge, but he can't move well enough to play OT. The Eagles ended up trying him at OG, but he is too tall for that. I'm not sure what you see in him. The only reason he even got any playing time in Philly was because Winston Justice was terrible.
Dunlap may not be great but he is young and has room to improve. Nix likes big OTs and especially guys that can play along the line.

Pinkerton Security
03-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Trevor Scott is my homeboy! From the town next to mine, played against him all through middle school and HS.

ParanoidAndroid
03-05-2012, 01:47 PM
I don't see the DE the Bills need in FA other than Williams. Lawson maks sense if he ends up hitting free agency. However, I see Buffalo looking at a veteran CB and an OLB. Maybe Terrell Thomas and Erin Henderson or Lawson.

Oaf
03-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Just say no to Mincey IMO.

stuckincincy
03-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Just say no to Mincey IMO.

Why?

JCBills
03-05-2012, 02:46 PM
I'd really like to see them go after Bennett. Let Chandler walk if they can get Bennett and add another TE between the 3rd and 6th.

The Jokeman
03-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Nice short list,

I'll look over them when at home but two names didn't see that toss in

WR Robert Meachem (Saints) Has size that Gailey hints likes but also has some wheels that could be #2 opposite Stevie.

WR Legedu Naanee (Panthers) Former draft pick by Nix in San Deigo. Has size be a #2 but not as fast as Meachem but did start 11 games in Carolina last year.

WR Early Doucet (Cardinals) Stayed healthy last year and had a strong season for the Cardinals. Good size.

WR Jerome Simpson (Bengals) Might come cheap due to drug chargers but showed good things last year.

The Spaz
03-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Meachem and maybe Doucet but Naanee offers nothing but being a big target.

psubills62
03-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Someone I'd like to go after is Red Bryant if he doesn't sign with Seattle first.

YardRat
03-05-2012, 04:22 PM
After hearing Nix today I'd be surprised if we went after any WR in FA. Once again sounded like they're OK with who they have right now.

THRILLHO
03-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Lofton is going to be one of those top guys at his position everyone will be going after. I didn't list inside LBs cause I don't think their in the market for one.

Levi Brown is a good one. Could start on either side and good depth.

Colston I left out because of age and injuries.

I know we wont sign Colston because he is going to cost a ton, but I really don't think age is a deterrent, he is 29, still lots of good years to go.

X-Era
03-05-2012, 04:42 PM
I know we wont sign Colston because he is going to cost a ton, but I really don't think age is a deterrent, he is 29, still lots of good years to go.And he's a possession guy so it's a bit different.

The Jokeman
03-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Meachem and maybe Doucet but Naanee offers nothing but being a big target.
Naanee caught 44 balls from a rookie QB last year in Newton. That would put him third on the Bills behind Stevie and David Nelson. He's a fifth year NFL receiver with NFL experience. He did average over 16 yards per catch in 2010 which might be a statistical outlier but he's still better than most of the WRs the Bills have which is what I'm looking to do. Is it at the tops of my list? No but still an option I wouldn't dismiss. One name I didn't bring up but also interesting is Pierre Gaurcon but I can't see the Colts letting him walk.

The Jokeman
03-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Another name, I can't take credit for, is DE Jonathan Fanene of the Bengals. Yet there's speculation the Bengals might pursue him. Yet he has 4-3 DE size and shown can get to the QB having amassed over 6.0 sacks two of the last three seasons.

I found his name in this http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/03/05/tolbert-among-ufas-who-could-prove-solid-values

TigerJ
03-05-2012, 06:44 PM
I don't really see the Bills going hard after DTs with so many other holes. They have their starters in Dareus and Williams, and Williams is still on the right side of 30. Torell Troup and Kellen Heard both have plenty of size and are reasonably athletic, assuming Troup is going to be fully recovered from back surgery as expected and the Bills havent given up on him.

Mahdi
03-06-2012, 06:20 AM
I don't really see the Bills going hard after DTs with so many other holes. They have their starters in Dareus and Williams, and Williams is still on the right side of 30. Torell Troup and Kellen Heard both have plenty of size and are reasonably athletic, assuming Troup is going to be fully recovered from back surgery as expected and the Bills havent given up on him.
I get that we have Dareus and Williams but the Wandstadt defense starts from inside out and he has always has a big run stuffing DT on his defenses. I see KW and Dareus as guys who like to get in the backfield as much as possible. I think he will want to compliment them with a big man. Heard and Troup were part of the teams that allowed 200 yards/game on the ground.

JCBills
03-06-2012, 11:52 AM
I get that we have Dareus and Williams but the Wandstadt defense starts from inside out and he has always has a big run stuffing DT on his defenses. I see KW and Dareus as guys who like to get in the backfield as much as possible. I think he will want to compliment them with a big man. Heard and Troup were part of the teams that allowed 200 yards/game on the ground.

By PFF's grading, Heard did pretty good last season when playing.

The teams allowing 200 per game had no OLBs and a rookie learning MLB. Williams was on those teams too, I don't think that takes away from how good he is.

YardRat
03-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Unfortunately many fans mistakenly interpret "aggressive" to mean "big money and big name".

JCBills
03-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately many fans mistakenly interpret "aggressive" to mean "big money and big name".

Well I don't see why they would announce it if it didn't.

Nobody has to be aggressive to get bad or mediocre players. It takes being active and aggressive in talks to get big money, big name guys.

psubills62
03-07-2012, 03:00 PM
BTW, Marcus Trufant was released.

He's a tad old (31), had some injuries, and I think his play has fallen off (maybe due to the injuries), but the guy had a ton of talent a couple years ago. I'd think it's worth showing some interest.

Ickybaluky
03-07-2012, 03:23 PM
BTW, Marcus Trufant was released.

He's a tad old (31), had some injuries, and I think his play has fallen off (maybe due to the injuries), but the guy had a ton of talent a couple years ago. I'd think it's worth showing some interest.

He has had back injuries, which is a concern as those can be chronic.

Seattle didn't miss a beat when he was out with Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman and he had a high salary, thus he is gone. If he is still healthy, he will attract interest from teams. He is entering the home stretch of his career, but he is a good player when healthy.