PDA

View Full Version : Stevie elaborates on Fitz's rib injury

Philagape
03-05-2012, 10:11 PM
“I know personally, in the huddle, the worst it got — to my knowledge — is he barely could say a full play under one breath,” Johnson told the Sun.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/05/fitzpatrick-johnson-elaborate-on-quarterbacks-rib-injury/

Also an interesting point at the end about how the whole bounty thing makes it easier to understand why teams hide injuries

BertSquirtgum
03-05-2012, 11:02 PM
They must really believe in pig pen to keep a very hurt stinkspatrick in the game. Why isn't pig pen already cut? The point of having a back up, is to have enough trust in him to win a few games in case your starter is hurt.

Forward_Lateral
03-06-2012, 09:23 AM
They must really believe in pig pen to keep a very hurt stinkspatrick in the game. Why isn't pig pen already cut? The point of having a back up, is to have enough trust in him to win a few games in case your starter is hurt.

Maybe because Gailey thinks Fitz is a franchise QB and believes he is the best option, unless he has no throwing arm?

How many NFL coaches would sit their starting QB if he told them he could play? Not many. There aren't many backups in the NFL that could come in and win a few games, either. In fact, I don't think I can think of more than a couple.

PromoTheRobot
03-06-2012, 09:39 AM
It is curious that Thigpen couldn't get into a game once even with Fitz so banged up.

PTR

ddaryl
03-06-2012, 11:14 AM
If Fitz was playing through the pain then I have an increased respect for the guy.

His passes did tend to sail on him a bunch in the 2nd half of the season. Cracked ribs in hindsight kind of explains a lot.

We'll see how he rebounds this year, but as for Thigpen, I hope we have a better option in 2012 for a back up

BertSquirtgum
03-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Maybe because Gailey thinks Fitz is a franchise QB and believes he is the best option, unless he has no throwing arm?

How many NFL coaches would sit their starting QB if he told them he could play? Not many. There aren't many backups in the NFL that could come in and win a few games, either. In fact, I don't think I can think of more than a couple.
so you keep a guy that can't breath in the game? that's ****ing brilliant. gailey should be slapped in the face for allowing stinkspatrick to keep playing the way he was playing, even more so if what the players say is true.

Forward_Lateral
03-06-2012, 12:05 PM
so you keep a guy that can't breath in the game? that's ****ing brilliant. gailey should be slapped in the face for allowing stinkspatrick to keep playing the way he was playing, even more so if what the players say is true.

You know what's brilliant? Your posts. And by brilliant, I mean the exact opposite of it. In fact, if there was a word that combined moronic, stupid, ignorant and asinine all in one, it would be used to describe your posts and their value to this site. Removed for TOS violation -KB

Philagape
03-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Making junior-high puns out of players' names really makes me want to read more from that poster. So intellectually stimulating.

DraftBoy
03-06-2012, 12:18 PM
I do have to say if Fitzy was as hurt as some of the reports claim he was somebody has to start to question both our coaching staff for playing him, and our medical staff for not stepping in and saying something.

BertSquirtgum
03-06-2012, 12:20 PM
You know what's brilliant? Your posts. And by brilliant, I mean the exact opposite of it. In fact, if there was a word that combined moronic, stupid, ignorant and asinine all in one, it would be used to describe your posts and their value to this site. You are like the crap between the zone's toes that is always there and when you pick at it, it makes your foot break out in a stingy, smelly rash.
people get mad when they know they're wrong. you are the classic example.

Bill Cody
03-06-2012, 12:42 PM
You are like the crap between the zone's toes that is always there and when you pick at it, it makes your foot break out in a stingy, smelly rash.

ok that's officially disgusting

Bill Cody
03-06-2012, 12:44 PM
people get mad when they know they're wrong. you are the classic example.

Not really. People get mad because they're mad.

Bill Cody
03-06-2012, 12:47 PM
I do have to say if Fitzy was as hurt as some of the reports claim he was somebody has to start to question both our coaching staff for playing him, and our medical staff for not stepping in and saying something.

I admire Fitzpatrick's guts to want to play but you're right. Sometimes you need an adult to step in and make the right decision for the team. Having said that I have zero confidence pig pen would have been any better, he's dismal.

BertSquirtgum
03-06-2012, 01:33 PM
I get mad when people most dumb ass things like this.....

"Maybe because Gailey thinks Fitz is a franchise QB and believes he is the best option, unless he has no throwing arm?"

YEPP. Fitzputrid has a great throwing arm to begin with. I can especially imagine how much better his throwing accuracy and strength improved as the soreness/pain level of cracked ribs began to rise. :lmao:

kscdogbillsfan1221
03-06-2012, 01:33 PM
No, I get mad when I have to read the crap that spews from your pea-sized brain down to your grubby fingers, and finally onto your jizz-stained keyboard.

as amusing as that comment was.... isn't there an ignore button for that very reason? i personally have never used it, but i've heard some of you more experienced zoners out there mention it before

mayotm
03-06-2012, 01:44 PM
I get mad when people most dumb ass things like this.....

"Maybe because Gailey thinks Fitz is a franchise QB and believes he is the best option, unless he has no throwing arm?"

YEPP. Fitzputrid has a great throwing arm to begin with. I can especially imagine how much better his throwing accuracy and strength improved as the soreness/pain level of cracked ribs began to rise. :lmao:Try expressing an opinion without the name calling, "clever" nicknames, etc and people may take your posts a little more seriously. The way you choose to communicate on this board demonstrates a lack of intelligence. It's a shame you don't see that.

BertSquirtgum
03-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Try expressing an opinion without the name calling, "clever" nicknames, etc and people may take your posts a little more seriously. The way you choose to communicate on this board demonstrates a lack of intelligence. It's a shame you don't see that.
I don't care if anyone thinks I lack intelligence. It's an online board that allows me to express my opinion. I don't need everyone's approval. Until Fitzstink proves me otherwise, his last name will always be something with the meaning of the word bad added into it.

DraftBoy
03-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Can we actually discuss the topic at hand and put the imaginary internet penis away?

Jesus no wonder people have said this board has gone down hill.

Forward_Lateral
03-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Can we actually discuss the topic at hand and put the imaginary internet penis away?

Jesus no wonder people have said this board has gone down hill.

Sure.

Fact: Gailey values a QB with cracked ribs over his option at backup. Is it a surprise, no, and it shouldn't be. The same people that are pissing and moaning that Gailey didn't put Thigpen in, 80% of those people would be calling Fitz a pussy for not playing through pain.

I, for one, saw how Thigpen played in preseason. No thanks. He shouldn't even be on an NFL roster, I agree with anyone who says that. The Bills definitely need an upgrade at backup QB, but I don't know if it's a major priority.

DraftBoy
03-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Sure.

Fact: Gailey values a QB with cracked ribs over his option at backup. Is it a surprise, no, and it shouldn't be. The same people that are pissing and moaning that Gailey didn't put Thigpen in, 80% of those people would be calling Fitz a pussy for not playing through pain.

I, for one, saw how Thigpen played in preseason. No thanks. He shouldn't even be on an NFL roster, I agree with anyone who says that. The Bills definitely need an upgrade at backup QB, but I don't know if it's a major priority.

So the question then becomes you are ok with our coach putting a QB out there who was almost in no condition to play and risking serious internal injury (Chris Simms) because you don't like the backup?

Im sorry I can't let Gailey or the training staff off the hook if these stories are accurate.

Forward_Lateral
03-06-2012, 02:14 PM
So the question then becomes you are ok with our coach putting a QB out there who was almost in no condition to play and risking serious internal injury (Chris Simms) because you don't like the backup?

Im sorry I can't let Gailey or the training staff off the hook if these stories are accurate.

I'm ok with it, if the team doctors cleared him to play, which is mandatory, isn't it?

Remember, a bruised rib can be just as painful, as a cracked one. I don't know how much risk is involved playing with one, because I'm not a doctor, but I do recall QBs like Farve playing with cracked ribs and nobody thought twice about it.

ParanoidAndroid
03-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Thigpen was not able to reproduce his relative success in KC so the coaching staff knew Fitz, even in his state, was still the better option.

ParanoidAndroid
03-06-2012, 02:27 PM
as amusing as that comment was.... isn't there an ignore button for that very reason? i personally have never used it, but i've heard some of you more experienced zoners out there mention it before

Yep. And if people would stop quoting the flamers, I wouldn't see them either.

Forward_Lateral
03-06-2012, 02:53 PM
BTW, comparing a guy with a ruptured spleen to a guy with bruised ribs is stupid. You should know better, Draftboy. C'mon.

BertSquirtgum
03-06-2012, 02:58 PM
In case your memory has failed you, Chris Simms ruptured his spleen because he was playing with cracked ribs.

Forward_Lateral
03-06-2012, 03:35 PM
In case your memory has failed you, Chris Simms ruptured his spleen because he was playing with cracked ribs.

Really? Because I'm pretty sure he didn't have cracked ribs going into that game.

BertSquirtgum
03-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Check your research.

Forward_Lateral
03-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Did he have cracked ribs before the game, or did he suffer them during the game, and played the rest of the game, and subsequently found out about the ruptured spleen after the game?

DraftBoy
03-06-2012, 05:13 PM
BTW, comparing a guy with a ruptured spleen to a guy with bruised ribs is stupid. You should know better, Draftboy. C'mon.

Not bruised ribs, cracked ribs. If those ribs break they have the ability to become compound fractures or to potentially pierce inner organs. Football is a violent game.

DraftBoy
03-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Did he have cracked ribs before the game, or did he suffer them during the game, and played the rest of the game, and subsequently found out about the ruptured spleen after the game?

Not sure if that was ever released publicly. I thought there was a lawsuit I believe after Chris nearly lost his life.

If the Bucs put him out there despite knowing he had cracked ribs prior to the game there could be some serious legal liability.

In any case they did find that his spleen was likely ruptured due to a broken rib.

DraftBoy
03-06-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm ok with it, if the team doctors cleared him to play, which is mandatory, isn't it?

Remember, a bruised rib can be just as painful, as a cracked one. I don't know how much risk is involved playing with one, because I'm not a doctor, but I do recall QBs like Farve playing with cracked ribs and nobody thought twice about it.

Like I said if the stories are true I will hold either this coaching staff or the training staff responsible. I've been consistent on that.

Mike
03-06-2012, 06:03 PM

It makes very little sence that the bills would continue to play him risking further injury over a bunch of meaningless games. That's like stepping over the dollars so you can save some pennies.

Forward_Lateral
03-06-2012, 07:08 PM
I'm not doubting he was hurt, but I am doubting how serious the injury was. He was obviously medically cleared to play, or he wouldn't have been out there. I believe that is law in the NFL now, isn't it?

Mski
03-06-2012, 07:13 PM
I'm not doubting he was hurt, but I am doubting how serious the injury was. He was obviously medically cleared to play, or he wouldn't have been out there. I believe that is law in the NFL now, isn't it?
the problem with the "law" is that there is no neutral opinions on injury... the doctors that clear or dont clear a player to play are on the payroll of the team. that leaves alot of grey area for determining ones ability to play... if the doctors are on the fence about if someone should play, and they player says "i'm good to go" and that player is the "franchise player" they'll listen to the player.