PDA

View Full Version : So GMs sit in on team meetings?

ghz in pittsburgh
03-07-2012, 10:25 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article750879.ece?twobillsdrive

"I consistently sat in on team meetings, defensive meetings and special teams meetings," Donahoe said by phone from his Pittsburgh-area home.

Maybe that's just Donahoe who had an iron grip during his time in Buffalo. I'm pretty sure Cowher would've kicked him out if he ever tried to do that in Pittsburgh.

I do, however, see Dick Jauron let Marv sit in there, even let him talk.

The Jokeman
03-07-2012, 10:31 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article750879.ece?twobillsdrive

"I consistently sat in on team meetings, defensive meetings and special teams meetings," Donahoe said by phone from his Pittsburgh-area home.

Maybe that's just Donahoe who had an iron grip during his time in Buffalo. I'm pretty sure Cowher would've kicked him out if he ever tried to do that in Pittsburgh.

I do, however, see Dick Jauron let Marv sit in there, even let him talk.
Donahoe wasn't just the GM, he was the team president. Yet I think it's a good thing management to sit in meetings as it at least give him an idea of the type of scheme we're running and maybe get a better understanding of the type of player we need. Case in point the Bills are in need of an Aaron Schobel type DE now not a Ryan Denney.

ublinkwescore
03-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Is donahoe in a front office in the NFL? If so, Williamsburg can screw him.

ublinkwescore
03-07-2012, 10:36 AM
* williamsgate

Jan Reimers
03-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Donahoe was a control freak, a megalomaniac and just about the worst GM in team history. I'm sure he sat in on meetings and other team functions so he could let everyone know just how smart and powerful he was.

We are still paying the price for his arrogance and utter stupidity.

Night Train
03-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Donahoe was a control freak, a megalomaniac and just about the worst GM in team history. I'm sure he sat in on meetings and other team functions so he could let everyone know just how smart and powerful he was.

We are still paying the price for his arrogance and utter stupidity.

and then Ralph morphs into a complete paranoid about ever trusting anyone again to run his team, not named Littman or Brandon.

OpIv37
03-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Donahoe wasn't just the GM, he was the team president. Yet I think it's a good thing management to sit in meetings as it at least give him an idea of the type of scheme we're running and maybe get a better understanding of the type of player we need. Case in point the Bills are in need of an Aaron Schobel type DE now not a Ryan Denney.

I still don't agree with it.

At my company, I'm glad our high-level execs don't sit in on routine meetings. Every once in a while, something happens that is at a high enough level to necessitate their involvement, but generally they don't need or want to know what happens on a day-to-day basis. They trust us to handle our own business on that level.

I would think having Donahoe in the meetings would do nothing but make players and coaches look over their shoulders and second-guess themselves.

DraftBoy
03-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Dimitroff sits in on some of the team meetings down here in Atlanta, it only makes sense so you can identify what the needs are from the coaching staff and what kind of players to target to fit what you're running.

HAMMER
03-07-2012, 11:13 AM
A GM that never sits in on meetings can't have the true pulse of his team and coaching staff.

justasportsfan
03-07-2012, 11:21 AM

At my company, I'm glad our high-level execs don't sit in on routine meetings. Every once in a while, something happens that is at a high enough level to necessitate their involvement, but generally they don't need or want to know what happens on a day-to-day basis. They trust us to handle our own business on that level.

I would think having Donahoe in the meetings would do nothing but make players and coaches look over their shoulders and second-guess themselves.

HAving your GM and Coach on the same page is not a bad thing.

Your company and the bills are not the same thing.

The Jokeman
03-07-2012, 11:26 AM
and then Ralph morphs into a complete paranoid about ever trusting anyone again to run his team, not named Littman or Brandon.
Ralph isn't concerned with trusting someone run his team he has concerns of people running his business that happens to be a NFL team. I'll say it again Wilson's been a great business owner in the way he runs things but sadly he just hasn't had many football guys running things since Polian and Butler/Smith left. You could argue Donahoe did when added Spikes and Bledsoe but wonder if he was on the same page as our coaching staff when added guys like Posey and Adams.

OpIv37
03-07-2012, 11:34 AM
HAving your GM and Coach on the same page is not a bad thing.

Your company and the bills are not the same thing.

most GM's and coaches can get on the same page without the GM following the coach around like a puppy dog.

HAMMER
03-07-2012, 12:21 PM
most GM's and coaches can get on the same page without the GM following the coach around like a puppy dog.

Sitting in on a few team meetings is not following a puppy dog.

OpIv37
03-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Sitting in on a few team meetings is not following a puppy dog.

I disagree. Team meetings are not a place for GM's. They are a place for coaches and players to go over their system and game plans. And it's more than a few- Donahoe specifically said he consistently sat in on these meetings.

If he did it once or twice just to see what was going on and get a feel for what the team might need, that's one thing. But to do it consistently is just meddling. Trust your coaches and players to get the job done without sticking your nose in and supervising.

stuckincincy
03-07-2012, 01:33 PM

I hear what you're saying Opi - but the NFL is show biz.

Nobody at your place of work tweets inanities to the nation at large, they don't have a posse, don't consider a Cadillac Escalade a rite of passage. If the company's down (or up), and they did a good job somewhere, they don't jump up and congratulate themselves with gestures and whoops. Most at your work have a passable command of the English language. They don't drip with bling, wear earrings, or are festooned head to toe with tats.

Don't worry about an NFL players' (or coaches') inner angst. Their egos are bullet-proof.