PDA

View Full Version : What is Fred Jackson's contract status?

NC-BILLS44
03-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Did I miss something or is Fred Jackson still waiting for the Bills to do the right thing?

Night Train
03-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Nix said he's a priority and with SJ now signed, I'm guessing he's one of the next guys they'll address. Still is under an outdated low contract for another year.

ublinkwescore
03-07-2012, 10:42 AM
We need to give him at least a three year deal for close to 20 mill and it has to be done this offseason.

ublinkwescore
03-07-2012, 10:44 AM
And give the guy a good signing bonus too. He has been under rated for a while too.

The Jokeman
03-07-2012, 10:45 AM
We need to give him at least a three year deal for close to 20 mill and it has to be done this offseason.
We don't need to do anything, he's not due to be an UFA until 2013.

PromoTheRobot
03-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Nix said he's a priority and with SJ now signed, I'm guessing he's one of the next guys they'll address. Still is under an outdated low contract for another year.

Before we all take up a collection for Fred, keep in mind he's getting $1.83M in 2012. (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/fred-jackson/) Not what he's worth but hardly the vet minimum either. Also remember when Fred signed his "insulting" 4yr $7.5M deal he was Marshawn's back up.

Nix said he's going to get a deal before training camp. So far Buddy has done what he said. No need to worry unless Fred wants stupid money which I doubt he will.

PTR

ublinkwescore
03-07-2012, 10:50 AM
We do need to take care of him so we don't have to tag him next season. Plus if he goes off next season and doesn't get hurt value will go way up.

lightningbolt444
03-07-2012, 10:51 AM
I am still against this. Even more so now that spiller showed at least a little bit something. He is on the wrong side of 30. We have a capable back in spiller. He is signed for two more years anyway.

I just dont see how wrapping up guaranteed money in an old back is the smart move. Has he been great yes he has but lets not cloud our judgment here. Making move because its the "right" thing to do will not build a winner. Now is he due a bit of a raise sure. But nothing long term and not a lot of guaranteed

Night Train
03-07-2012, 10:53 AM
We don't need to do anything, he's not due to be an UFA until 2013. We don't... but that's not good business with a guy who was our MVP before being injured.

Hell, he's been our best player for the last 3 years. And yet, Kelsay gets 17 extensions. :trance:

justasportsfan
03-07-2012, 11:01 AM
I am still against this. Even more so now that spiller showed at least a little bit something. He is on the wrong side of 30. We have a capable back in spiller. He is signed for two more years anyway.

I just dont see how wrapping up guaranteed money in an old back is the smart move. Has he been great yes he has but lets not cloud our judgment here. Making move because its the "right" thing to do will not build a winner. Now is he due a bit of a raise sure. But nothing long term and not a lot of guaranteed
Spiller hasn't proven to being able to carry the entire load for an entire season. All he did was show potential.

JAckson had probowl nos prior to his injury. You don't let probowlers leave. JAckson can do it all. He is also one of the best blocking rb's in the league.

Having Jackson and Spiller is better than Spiller and Choice.

DraftBoy
03-07-2012, 11:06 AM
He's basically getting screwed.

The Jokeman
03-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Spiller hasn't proven to being able to carry the entire load for an entire season. All he did was show potential.

JAckson had probowl nos prior to his injury. You don't let probowlers leave. JAckson can do it all. He is also one of the best blocking rb's in the league.

Having Jackson and Spiller is better than Spiller and Choice.
but what about having Spiller, Choice and Mario Williams? or insert UFA that could sign to the money if don't change Jackson's cap value this season.

PromoTheRobot
03-07-2012, 11:08 AM

You have to explain THAT to me. He signs an almost $8M deal when he's a backup, does well, asks for a redo and the team says yes. Screw me like that.

PTR

DraftBoy
03-07-2012, 11:09 AM
You have to explain THAT to me. He signs an almost $8M deal when he's a backup, does well, asks for a redo and the team says yes. Screw me like that.

PTR

Has he gotten the redo? 1.8 this year for your MVP...as I said before I would fully support his holdout if he so chooses.

The Jokeman
03-07-2012, 11:11 AM
We don't... but that's not good business with a guy who was our MVP before being injured.

Hell, he's been our best player for the last 3 years. And yet, Kelsay gets 17 extensions. :trance:
Just because we made a mistake with Kelsey means we should make the same mistake with Jackson. Jackson's coming off a season ending injury if he starts to show he was as good as he was in 2011 than sure I look to lock him up long term. If not let him walk and find another RB. It's not like we haven't had problems finding RBs the last decade.

clumping platelets
03-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Freddie hit an escalator.........his salary is actually $1.955 million

There is no urgency right now, he is under contract for 2013...........every cap dollar you give him now is one less cap dollar you have to in FA. After FA and the draft is over, the Bills and Jackson's people can get his deal taken care of............also, it might be in his best interest to wait because he could use Ray Rice and Matt Forte contracts (once they sign new deals) to gauge his value

Ed
03-07-2012, 11:12 AM
He's not getting screwed. Nix has already said that they're going to give him a new deal. They can extend Fred at any point before training camp. There's no need to get it done right now. Free agency starts next week. That should be their focus. They can work on a new deal that makes Fred happy after the draft.

EricStratton
03-07-2012, 11:13 AM
With the tag Fred belongs to the Bills for two more seasons. At that point he will be 33 years old.

The Bills are in a great position with him.

DraftBoy
03-07-2012, 11:14 AM
He's not getting screwed. Nix has already said that they're going to give him a new deal. They can extend Fred at any point before training camp. There's no need to get it done right now. Free agency starts next week. That should be their focus. They can work on a new deal that makes Fred happy after the draft.

Nix (like many other GM's) can say anything, money walks. Ill believe it when I see the deal done.

clumping platelets
03-07-2012, 11:15 AM
3 yr extension for $20 which would basically be a 4 yr deal worth about $22-23 million seems appropriate. The last year of the deal coulod have a small cap number

Ed
03-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Nix (like many other GM's) can say anything, money walks. Ill believe it when I see the deal done.
So when Nix told Fred to his face that they would take care of him, he was lying?

ublinkwescore
03-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Just because we made a mistake with Kelsey means we should make the same mistake with Jackson. Jackson's coming off a season ending injury if he starts to show he was as good as he was in 2011 than sure I look to lock him up long term. If not let him walk and find another RB. It's not like we haven't had problems finding RBs the last decade.
Wasn't Jackson only placed on the I R because we pretty much had to acknowledge that we weren't going to the playoffs so we did it to protect him?

PromoTheRobot
03-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Has he gotten the redo? 1.8 this year for your MVP...as I said before I would fully support his holdout if he so chooses.

I think you are just being an asshat. Fred already said no holdouts, even before Nix vowed to give him a deal. No one is getting screwed, just in your narrow mind.

PTR

ServoBillieves
03-07-2012, 11:32 AM
He has proven he deserves the money. He has proven every scout, GM, and college wrong. Morally, the man deserves a good, expensive contract, but he is getting a little old... He will not ask for CJ or Foster money, but he deserves around 4 mil a year for say 3 years, or maybe 17 for 3 years and make it front loaded.

Hes a fan favorite, he's shown his worth, so pay him something to retire on and let him retire as a Bill.

The Jokeman
03-07-2012, 11:42 AM
He has proven he deserves the money. He has proven every scout, GM, and college wrong. Morally, the man deserves a good, expensive contract, but he is getting a little old... He will not ask for CJ or Foster money, but he deserves around 4 mil a year for say 3 years, or maybe 17 for 3 years and make it front loaded.

Hes a fan favorite, he's shown his worth, so pay him something to retire on and let him retire as a Bill.
Yeah and Jason Peters deserved the same thing but willing to bet more than half of the people crying that Freddie deserves his argued that Peters didn't. Which is a bunch of BS. As I'd rather have a Pro Bowl caliber LT than a RB. As honestly I can't say Fred Jackson has shown he's vastly superior over guys like Travis Henry, Willis McGahee or Marshawn Lynch. Heck CJ Spiller might prove to be even better than Freddie this year.

Ickybaluky
03-07-2012, 11:46 AM
The Bills should give Jackson his new deal because he has earned it. He was a guy that came up the hard way and worked to get his chance, and has grossly out-played his contract. He is one of the Bills best players.

One of the strengths of last year's Bills team was they were a pretty tight-knit group. If they can increase their overall talent and depth that chemistry will help them win games. Screwing one of the best players on the team, a popular and hard-working player, has an effect in the locker-room. Playing hardball is not always the right move, as it has other effects. Taking care of him sends the right message, both with the current team and to other players around the NFL.

People love to sound like hard-asses, but Jackson has earned a new deal and everyone knows it. That is why Nix has said he will sit down and work something out, because he knows it will pay off in the long run.

jdbillsfan
03-07-2012, 11:56 AM
This seems like a training camp story, not pre-free agency/draft.

DraftBoy
03-07-2012, 12:03 PM
So when Nix told Fred to his face that they would take care of him, he was lying?

No but until there is a new deal he's not telling the truth either. I learned long ago to take what people say with almost no faith. Actions are what I need not some talk.

DraftBoy
03-07-2012, 12:04 PM
I think you are just being an asshat. Fred already said no holdouts, even before Nix vowed to give him a deal. No one is getting screwed, just in your narrow mind.

PTR

Yea clearly paying the MVP of our team a paltry 1.95 and fans being ok with that leaves nobody screwed.

Please Fred deserves the raise and he deserves far more respect from this fan base.

SpillerThrills
03-07-2012, 12:36 PM
but what about having Spiller, Choice and Mario Williams? or insert UFA that could sign to the money if don't change Jackson's cap value this season.

correct me if I'm wrong, but signing Jackson to an extension won't change his cap hit for this season anyways... so adding Mario Williams (doubtful) or another FA would be the only addition to the cap. Freddy's cap hit would stay the same for this year, I could be wrong though.

clumping platelets
03-07-2012, 12:42 PM
correct me if I'm wrong, but signing Jackson to an extension won't change his cap hit for this season anyways... so adding Mario Williams (doubtful) or another FA would be the only addition to the cap. Freddy's cap hit would stay the same for this year, I could be wrong though.

Wrong..............signing bonus is amortized starting in the year paid...that's just one example

Extremebillsfan247
03-07-2012, 12:47 PM
My guess is that something will get done with Jackson by the end of pre-season. The Bills are in no hurry because there is still time to work something out. I don't expect to see anything about him pop up during the free agent period. After that, the Bills will be all hands on deck for draft preparations. Then, rookie contracts will probably take priority before they get around to Jackson. Pre-season seems to be the most logical time frame in which something happens for him. JMO

ThunderGun
03-07-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm all for giving him a MODEST contract, with maybe a decent chunk of change up front....but he's already 31. He'll be 32 when his contract is up (33 if we tag him the following year). I don't see any need to run out and give truckloads of money to a 30+ year old RB. Especially one who started *****ing about his contract less than 2 years after he signed it (sorry, but it's true).

I'd prefer making him play out the season, and then tag him the following year. He'd make a lot of money, and then we can be done with him when he hits 33. I know everybody loves Fred (myself included), but let's be real here. We don't want to be giving a 32 year old RB a 4 or 5 year contract extension. If we do, it will be extremely back-loaded, and we'll cut him with 2 or 3 years left on the deal anyways.

Flame away...

Jeff1220
03-07-2012, 01:20 PM
One factor in giving Fred Jackson an extension that everyone seems to be overlooking is how it reflects on the organization. The Bills have been notorious in their decade of futility of being cheap and lowballing their own players before they finally walk away in FA or trade.
Giving Fred Jackson the extension he has earned will not only satisfy Fred and keep a top RB, leader, and high-character guy on the team for a few more years, it will go a long way to showing other players that the Bills will take care of the guys that produce for them. That sort of PR could go a long way in players looking at the organization in a positive light, and making it once again a desirable place to end up in the draft or FA.

stuckincincy
03-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Anybody know anything about his injury recovery?

Ickybaluky
03-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Anybody know anything about his injury recovery?

He had a fractured fibula, which isn't an injury that has long-term concerns.

Chan Gailey at the combine said that Jackson had been medically cleared already. He is ready to go once the off-season program starts.

stuckincincy
03-07-2012, 02:17 PM
He had a fractured fibula, which isn't an injury that has long-term concerns.

Chan Gailey at the combine said that Jackson had been medically cleared already. He is ready to go once the off-season program starts.

Thank you.

Fred's under contract, but AFAIK other clubs can make an offer to the Bills to buy that contract, then negotiate with Fred.

PromoTheRobot
03-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Thank you.

Fred's under contract, but AFAIK other clubs can make an offer to the Bills to buy that contract, then negotiate with Fred.

When has one team ever bought out a player contract from another team? A trade maybe, but a buyout? Why is this even a possibility?

PTR

Oaf
03-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Before we all take up a collection for Fred, keep in mind he's getting $1.83M in 2012. (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/fred-jackson/) Not what he's worth but hardly the vet minimum either. Also remember when Fred signed his "insulting" 4yr $7.5M deal he was Marshawn's back up.

Nix said he's going to get a deal before training camp. So far Buddy has done what he said. No need to worry unless Fred wants stupid money which I doubt he will.

PTR
Was it before training camp or season?

PromoTheRobot
03-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Yea clearly paying the MVP of our team a paltry 1.95 and fans being ok with that leaves nobody screwed.

Please Fred deserves the raise and he deserves far more respect from this fan base.

So what you are saying is Buddy Nix is supposed to have ESP so he can give raises to players BEFORE they become MVPs? Fred had a pro bowl-like season in 2011. Fred gets a new deal before the 2012 season. How is that screwing anyone? No one is saying Fred doesn't deserve a raise, including Buddy Nix, who you are calling a liar to suit your purposes.

You would have a point if Fred was a 2-time pro bowler and the Bills refused to give him a new deal. But you don't have a point. You are manufacturing controversy with nonsense.

You do realize that this upcoming season is the 2012 season right? Just making sure.

PTR

PromoTheRobot
03-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Was it before training camp or season?

I'm not following you. That link shows what Fred is due in 2012, along with his salary in each year of his deal, which has gone up every season. As far as I know players are only paid in season. Nix has said Fred gets a new deal before training camp so that number will no longer apply.

PTR

DraftBoy
03-07-2012, 03:21 PM
So what you are saying is Buddy Nix is supposed to have ESP so he can give raises to players BEFORE they become MVPs? Fred had a pro bowl-like season in 2011. Fred gets a new deal before the 2012 season. How is that screwing anyone? No one is saying Fred doesn't deserve a raise, including Buddy Nix, who you are calling a liar to suit your purposes.

You would have a point if Fred was a 2-time pro bowler and the Bills refused to give him a new deal. But you don't have a point. You are manufacturing controversy with nonsense.

You do realize that this upcoming season is the 2012 season right? Just making sure.

PTR

I dont care about PB nominations, that's one of the most frivolous and pointless things to base a contract on.

I haven't once called Buddy Nix a liar, I said money walks. If you can't see the clear difference between those two then I don't know what else to tell you.

Im not manufacturing any controversy, Ive been very consistent in my stance here. I said Peters should of gotten paid way back when and I nearly always side with the players when it comes to contractual disputes.

Players have only a smalll finite amount of time in which to make their money, I support them maximizing that time as much as humanely possible. Especially with RB's who have even shorter shelf lifes, especially one like Jackson who far out perform their deals have been asking for a re-do for about a year now and then when honoring his contract and doing the "right thing" gets hurt and ends his season and potentially harms his value.

The man has been more than a team player, pay him the money he deserves and until he gets it he's getting screwed.

PromoTheRobot
03-07-2012, 05:38 PM
I dont care about PB nominations, that's one of the most frivolous and pointless things to base a contract on.

I haven't once called Buddy Nix a liar, I said money walks. If you can't see the clear difference between those two then I don't know what else to tell you.

Im not manufacturing any controversy, Ive been very consistent in my stance here. I said Peters should of gotten paid way back when and I nearly always side with the players when it comes to contractual disputes.

Players have only a smalll finite amount of time in which to make their money, I support them maximizing that time as much as humanely possible. Especially with RB's who have even shorter shelf lifes, especially one like Jackson who far out perform their deals have been asking for a re-do for about a year now and then when honoring his contract and doing the "right thing" gets hurt and ends his season and potentially harms his value.

The man has been more than a team player, pay him the money he deserves and until he gets it he's getting screwed.

And you totally ignored my question: When is a GM supposed to pay a player his fair contract? Right after an MVP season? Well isn't that now? You are the only person referring to this as a contractual dispute. There is no dispute. Nix said a deal will be made before camp and Jackson is okay with that. This is nothing like the Peters issue so don't even bring it up. Anything that happened before Nix is not germain.

Jackson is NOT getting screwed waiting for his deal because he won't get his first paycheck until week 1 of the NFL season, so he is not missing out on any money right now. Nix could have given him a deal in December and he would not see a nickel until the season starts.

PTR

mrbojanglezs
03-07-2012, 05:49 PM
I really don't see why everyone is so obsessed with Fred Jackson's deal

kingJofNYC
03-07-2012, 06:35 PM
I really don't see why everyone is so obsessed with Fred Jackson's deal

Good player, great person, and deserves an increase.

That said, Jackson's going to get screwed anyway you look at it, and I think it pisses fans off. Look at the deal Lynch got. Jackson's better in every facet, but he'll never get close to that kind of money, probably won't be playing at 35 either.

What if will always precede the name Fred Jackson.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Why redo it? Rbs are dead at 33. Let him play it out and if plays well then franchise him. Simple

DraftBoy
03-07-2012, 08:53 PM
And you totally ignored my question: When is a GM supposed to pay a player his fair contract? Right after an MVP season? Well isn't that now? You are the only person referring to this as a contractual dispute. There is no dispute. Nix said a deal will be made before camp and Jackson is okay with that. This is nothing like the Peters issue so don't even bring it up. Anything that happened before Nix is not germain.

Jackson is NOT getting screwed waiting for his deal because he won't get his first paycheck until week 1 of the NFL season, so he is not missing out on any money right now. Nix could have given him a deal in December and he would not see a nickel until the season starts.

PTR

Honestly didn't ignore it, never saw it. When a player out preforms his contract he has the right to ask for a new one. And please don't commit the fallacy of what you or I do for work and how we don't get new deals/raises.

Also this idea that he is just now deserving a new deal is a bit ridiculous, let's not forget he was a 1,000 yard back in the first year or his new deal and has been over 900 every year after. This new deal could of easily be done last off season, which is also when Fred mentioned getting a new deal.

You can define it however you want, what we know is that we have a player who doesn't like his contract situation and wants to get his pay day. We know the Bills have made public comments that they would like to redo it but we don't know when or at what terms.

Im not really sure what the last part of the post has to do with anything. This isn't about the literal day of payment isn't really a point of this discussion.

SpillerThrills
03-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Wrong..............signing bonus is amortized starting in the year paid...that's just one example

I wasn't talking about signing bonus though clump, I was talking about extending Freddy and the hit it would have (if any) on this years cap since he is still under contract.

PromoTheRobot
03-08-2012, 01:02 AM
Honestly didn't ignore it, never saw it. When a player out preforms his contract he has the right to ask for a new one. And please don't commit the fallacy of what you or I do for work and how we don't get new deals/raises.

Also this idea that he is just now deserving a new deal is a bit ridiculous, let's not forget he was a 1,000 yard back in the first year or his new deal and has been over 900 every year after. This new deal could of easily be done last off season, which is also when Fred mentioned getting a new deal.

You can define it however you want, what we know is that we have a player who doesn't like his contract situation and wants to get his pay day. We know the Bills have made public comments that they would like to redo it but we don't know when or at what terms.

Im not really sure what the last part of the post has to do with anything. This isn't about the literal day of payment isn't really a point of this discussion.

I don't disagree one bit Fred needs a new deal. I just don't get why you are getting bent out of shape over something that is 99% likely to happen. Fred is getting a deal. Step off the ledge.

PTR

DraftBoy
03-08-2012, 07:25 AM
I don't disagree one bit Fred needs a new deal. I just don't get why you are getting bent out of shape over something that is 99% likely to happen. Fred is getting a deal. Step off the ledge.

PTR

Until he gets one we have every right to ask for it until it happens. I refuse to believe just some coach speak. There hasnt been any reported numbers exchanged, there havent been any formal negotiation sessions yet. Until that starts I maintain my stance fully.

When he signs (going with your assumption) Ill be very happy.

better days
03-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Until he gets one we have every right to ask for it until it happens. I refuse to believe just some coach speak. There hasnt been any reported numbers exchanged, there havent been any formal negotiation sessions yet. Until that starts I maintain my stance fully.

Fred can wait until after free agency & the draft. Then the Bills will have a better idea about the money they can spend on him & how to structure the contract.

PromoTheRobot
03-08-2012, 10:34 AM

You do know Nix is the GM, right. I don't believe Chan has given any "coach speak" on the matter.

Just admit you have a burr up your keester for the Bills and you have no idea how to respond to the positive news coming from them. Chandler just signed today. So Buddy Nix is doing what he said: keep our talent in Buffalo.

If you were really such an expert on football you'd know that it would be silly to negotiate with a player you have locked up while you have real free agents to sign and free agency period coming up. That would be assbackwards. Once we are past free agency then Nix will sit down with Fred. By then he'll know how much cap he has to work with.

If Fred is not extended by training camp, I will come here and praise you as a visionary. But as of now there is no reason to panic.

PTR

RedEyE
03-09-2012, 06:13 AM
Plain and simple, you need two backs. The running competition between Fred and CJ is an ignitor for the position.

The way I see it you have two differnt style runners that can compliment each other well if utilized to each of their abilities. Even though Fred was well on his way to a career record season before his injury, he is long in the tooth on the downward slide of his career. 2-3 year deal max and rotate them respectively.

Stewie
03-09-2012, 09:53 AM

PTR

Come on, really? You can't do what Fred Jackson can do. if couldd, you would. And you'd be pissed about not being paid for performance relative to your peers, too.

Jackson basically had 1000 yards rushing and 500 receiving after what, 9 or 10 games before getting hurt. He was the best overall back in the league.

If you think he shouldn't complain, then you shouldn't support the NFL and it's current salary structure. Otherwise, you have no basis for that argument.