PDA

View Full Version : Twitter: Scott Chandler TE re-signed

Meathead
03-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Scott Chandler ‏ @scottchandler84
Reunited and it feels so good!!! Blessed to be back with the Bills! Nowhere else I want to be! Thankyou Lord for this opportunity!

Thankyou to the Bills front office and fans for all your support!! Let's get this thing rolling! #BillsMafia

ralph is cheap

Mski
03-08-2012, 10:08 AM
just saw that :up::up:

stuckincincy
03-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Reunited and it feels so good!!! Blessed to be back with the Bills! Nowhere else I want to be! Thankyou Lord for this opportunity!

Thankyou to the Bills front office and fans for all your support!! Let's get this thing rolling! #BillsMafia

ralph is cheap

Very nice - a tweet by an NFL player in understandable English. Fo shizzle!

Night Train
03-08-2012, 10:12 AM
He's no Ruvell Martin. :biggrin:

Solid guy. Here's to good health and continued success.

ThunderGun
03-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Good. One less hole that needs to be filled.

That being said, I'd love to get a big-time, game-changing TE. But they don't exactly grow on trees. So it's good that we at least have somebody decent that we can count on. If a stud TE falls to us in the draft, it's not like we can't have two good TE's on the roster.

justasportsfan
03-08-2012, 10:16 AM
wait for it....wait for it..... here's OP !!!!

Quick, lock the thread before he chimes in!

justaplaying OP.

ddaryl
03-08-2012, 10:18 AM
wait for it....wait for it..... here's OP !!!!

justaplaying OP.

This is all good, but .......................:biggrin:

Mahdi
03-08-2012, 10:18 AM
I thought Chandler was decent last year but we seem to forget how often he disappeared in games. He only had 38 receptions on a team that struggled to find a #2 WR.

Just sayin...

justasportsfan
03-08-2012, 10:19 AM
I thought Chandler was decent last year but we seem to forget how often he disappeared in games. He only had 38 receptions on a team that struggled to find a #2 WR.

Just sayin...
when your OL gets decimated by injuries, your TE is made to block more.

Just sayin...

Mindbender
03-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Good signing. I agree he's decent but not great. I just think we're so starved for a decent TE that Chandler looks great to us.

Wonder what this does for people who wanted Bennett from Dallas. Does it change things?

ThunderGun
03-08-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm not calling Chandler a liar, but Hack Moran just tweeted yesterday that there have been no seriously negotiations between the Bills and Chandler.

lol

Ed
03-08-2012, 10:24 AM
I've been pretty indifferent on Chandler returning. It can't hurt to have him back, but I'd like to see the terms of the deal. I also want to see us still try to upgrade the position.

PromoTheRobot
03-08-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm not calling Chandler a liar, but Hack Moran just tweeted yesterday that there have been no seriously negotiations between the Bills and Chandler.

lol

Does Pat have any kids left? :lol:

PTR

BillsWin
03-08-2012, 10:29 AM
I am very excited about this signing. Last season he exhibited the potential to be a mismatch in the redzone and adequate blocking skills. He's a good tightend on a team that hasn't had one in a decade.

Great signing by the Bills.

With this and the Johnson extensions it is now becoming apparent that the Bills might be done developing players just to watch them walk.

Forward_Lateral
03-08-2012, 10:31 AM
When both he and Nelson are healthy, they can be a formidable duo like Gronk and Hernandez in New England. They both pose giant match-up problems for opposing Defenses. I for one am happy he's back.

JCBills
03-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Good signing. I agree he's decent but not great. I just think we're so starved for a decent TE that Chandler looks great to us.

Wonder what this does for people who wanted Bennett from Dallas. Does it change things?

I'd still prefer Bennett, but with Chandler locked up I'd like to see them look TE in the 4th or 5th.

djjimkelly
03-08-2012, 10:39 AM
solid deal i hope anyone seen the numbers?

i like the signing hopefully its 3 mil a year or under

mysticsoto
03-08-2012, 10:41 AM

Just sayin...

I'm not going to blame that on him. I thought Fitz played terrible the 2nd half of the season. And given that Chandler's numbers weren't the only ones that went down would seem to confirm that.

I think it's good that he's been a year in Chan's system and should be that much better next year. If we get a Def that can actually do something, the offense will look better by default. We do need a good 2nd WR. Depending on what we do in FA, in the draft, I might go:

1) DE
2) WR
3) LB
4) OL

Night Train
03-08-2012, 10:42 AM

lol

Just like he had SJ walking.

Better find a new line of imaginary work.

DraftBoy
03-08-2012, 10:46 AM

Just sayin...

Which he didn't do well.

Just sayin...

Ickybaluky
03-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Don't think much of this guy. I think he is a schlup.

For his size, he isn't a physical blocker at all. He doesn't threaten the seam and is just a short-area guy only. I don't think he is anything more than a back-up TE who is a decent receiver and not much of a blocker. He isn't athletic enough and doesn't run well enough, IMO.

Ed
03-08-2012, 10:47 AM
solid deal i hope anyone seen the numbers?

i like the signing hopefully its 3 mil a year or under
I'd be pretty shocked if he got 3 mil a year. That's what they gave Pears and I'd say he was the better player at a more important position.

I'm going to guess 3 years, 4-6 million total.

justasportsfan
03-08-2012, 10:49 AM

For his size, he isn't a physical blocker at all. He doesn't threaten the seam and is just a short-area guy only. I don't think he is anything more than a back-up TE who is a decent receiver and not much of a blocker. He isn't athletic enough and doesn't run well enough, IMO.

shut up. No need to pee on our parade. thats Op's job. :biggrin:
We haven't had a 6td TE since Reimersma.

I actually don't mind the bills drafting Fleener in the 2nd if we get our DE in FA .

Ed
03-08-2012, 10:52 AM

Well they can't all be as good as Gronkowski. At least he's better than Shawn Nelson, Derek Fine, Derek Schouman, and all the other forgettable TE's we've had recently.

They can still upgrade the position and add a more complete TE. Then just use Chandler situationally.

Mahdi
03-08-2012, 10:57 AM

Just sayin...
Except... Chandler did not block that much more... Gailey continued to play his spread offense and left his OL without any help even when the injuries hit. Chandler was not forced to block much more than he was earlier in the year.

Chandler is not a mismatch anywhere on the field except for the redzone. He disappears way to often for a team that passes as much as the Bills did.

Tatonka
03-08-2012, 10:57 AM
i thought he made some impressive catches last season. he has good hands. is he the best? no. but he can make plays in the red zone and pick up first downs.

Jan Reimers
03-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Good move. I think Chandler might develop into a quality TE. He played well last year before he was injured, and seems to be a smart, coachable player.

If we get a better guy in the draft or FA, Chandler will still be good in two TE sets and as a backup.

psubills62
03-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Fine, depending on the numbers. They still need help at the position. It's nice that he got TD passes, but TD's vary so much each year, especially among receivers and tight ends, that that's not really a great way to judge them.

I'm betting Chandler's agent found very little interest in his client at the combine (kind of like Stevie Johnson did), and was willing to bend on the demands.

I'm thinking 2 million per year would be OK.

Ickybaluky
03-08-2012, 11:02 AM
FYI...

2-year deal per Aaron Wilson.

At least this was a success, since the Bills set a goal to re-sign him and were able to do so. Have to worry about that opportunity cost, though.

Mahdi
03-08-2012, 11:03 AM
When both he and Nelson are healthy, they can be a formidable duo like Gronk and Hernandez in New England. They both pose giant match-up problems for opposing Defenses. I for one am happy he's back.
Gronk and Hernandez.....Chandler and Nelson

:lmao:

better days
03-08-2012, 11:08 AM
I've been pretty indifferent on Chandler returning. It can't hurt to have him back, but I'd like to see the terms of the deal. I also want to see us still try to upgrade the position.

Hey Op, quit hijacking other peoples accounts.

Buddo
03-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Except... Chandler did not block that much more... Gailey continued to play his spread offense and left his OL without any help even when the injuries hit. Chandler was not forced to block much more than he was earlier in the year.

Chandler is not a mismatch anywhere on the field except for the redzone. He disappears way to often for a team that passes as much as the Bills did.

Someone on BBmb produced a stat that said that 25 of chandlers receptions, resulted in 1st downs. Personally, I don't think that qualifies him as 'disappearing'.
Whilst he certainly has limitations, I think he can still improve within our offense, and atm is a useful piece of it.
TBH, I think it's a sound move by the FO, and if we can add another good WR to the mix, we can improve our offense a fair bit.

Mahdi
03-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Someone on BBmb produced a stat that said that 25 of chandlers receptions, resulted in 1st downs. Personally, I don't think that qualifies him as 'disappearing'.
Whilst he certainly has limitations, I think he can still improve within our offense, and atm is a useful piece of it.
TBH, I think it's a sound move by the FO, and if we can add another good WR to the mix, we can improve our offense a fair bit.
I don't deny that keeping him was a good move but we hopefully realize that on most teams in the NFL TEs like him are the #2 TE.

better days
03-08-2012, 11:17 AM

As others have said, he is the best TE the Bills have had in a while. A good red zone target & a guy that can get the 1st down.

OpIv37
03-08-2012, 11:25 AM

ralph is cheap

Ralph is still cheap. Signing an average TE doesn't change that.

BLeonard
03-08-2012, 11:29 AM
FWIW, I just got a text from the Bills stating that Chandler has indeed re-signed. Nothing regarding length or amount though.

-Bill

zone
03-08-2012, 11:30 AM
People can say he is average and doesn't have this or that but the most important thing for a receiving TE to have is chemistry with the QB and he clearly has that with Fitz.

Dr. Lecter
03-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Ralph is still cheap. Signing an average TE doesn't change that.

His cheapness has been shot down time and time again.

What they are paying Johnson, Fitz, Williams and Kelsay show that.

kingJofNYC
03-08-2012, 11:31 AM

Feel the same way, need the depth so it's good to have him locked in. Hopefully it's a reasonable deal. Not our money. Doubt it's for a some obscene amount, Steve's deal is fair value if you ask me.

FYI...

2-year deal per Aaron Wilson.

At least this was a success, since the Bills set a goal to re-sign him and were able to do so. Have to worry about that opportunity cost, though.

Not much opportunity cost on a two year deal, still have to see the numbers. They clearly don't see him as a long term solution.

Ickybaluky
03-08-2012, 11:33 AM
As others have said, he is the best TE the Bills have had in a while. A good red zone target & a guy that can get the 1st down.

He is a big guy who runs OK when he gets going, but is not athletic. Has good hands and size, but can't threaten beyond the short area. Not agile or quick. Isn't physical enough, either blocking or when a defender jams him. Doesn't play mean or physical.

Bills take advantage of his size and hands by lining him up in the slot is spread sets and having him run curl routes to find holes in zone defenses. But really, other than that, what does he do well?

Basically, he is a Ben Utecht clone. I just don't think much of the guy. He is a role-player at best, and I don't see him as a starting TE anywhere. Just my opinion, but that is what I see.

BLeonard
03-08-2012, 11:40 AM

The argument could be made that, had Wilson not been cheap when hiring front office personnel and coaching staffs, they wouldn't be in the position where they have to pay bigger contracts to 7th round picks.

While I like the fact that the Bills have resigned some of their own, that doesn't change the fact that Wilson has been tight with the purse strings when it comes to hiring quality front office talent and coaching staffs.

I'd also like to point out that Wilson is gonna be asking the county, city and state for around $100 million in the not too distant future for upgrades to his stadium... Is it a coincidence that the last time the Bills were looking to renew the lease, they went out and made what were considered "big" moves, by signing Doug Flutie and trading for Rob Johnson...?

-Bill

ServoBillieves
03-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Pat Morons name is still around here? I thought the village elders and farmers took torches and pitchforks to his place months ago... That being said, glad we have Chandler back. He's not Dallas Clark or Witten, but he gets the job done

Meathead
03-08-2012, 11:48 AM
cmon chandler is a te GOD compared to what weve had around here during the streak from hell

truth is, chan created chandler, brought him to life from nothingness, so hopefully they didnt pay much for frankenchandler

but still the guy had to make the catches when they came to him and made more plays than the last twelve tes combined so he deserves some of the cred and the modest payday he got, whatever it was

TigerJ
03-08-2012, 11:48 AM
I think we all know Scott Chandler is not a great tight end, but he made the team better for being here last season, and I think his contribution will be a positive overall going forward. I don't think it means Buffalo will decide not to look for someone better.

OpIv37
03-08-2012, 11:51 AM

They still went into last season $20 mill below the cap.

They still consistently have amongst the lowest paid coaches in the league.

And Johnson and Fitz's contracts are cheap compared to other players at their positions.

His cheapness has been confirmed time and time again.

TigerJ
03-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Which he didn't do well.

Just sayin...

Yeah, it's kind of funny. I've read a few mocks that have Buffalo picking a TE, which is entirely reasonable, but the rationale given in some are that Chandler is a blocking tight end. That tells you they are just looking at his size and have not spent time looking at film.

Dr. Lecter
03-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Coaches? Sure.

Fitz deal is not cheap. Average? Yep.

Johnson's deal is cheap? Really? 7.25 million per is cheap?

Come on.

And they are usually in the middle of the league when it comes to spending on players.

Now, do they sign the wrong guys? Sure. Do they overspend on guys (i.e Kelsay)? No doubt.

Cheap? For the lack of true talent on the team and piss poor drafts their payroll is probably about where it should be.

JCBills
03-08-2012, 12:05 PM
They still went into last season $20 mill below the cap.

They still consistently have amongst the lowest paid coaches in the league.

And Johnson and Fitz's contracts are cheap compared to other players at their positions.

His cheapness has been confirmed time and time again.

Well if they payed Johnson more, wouldn't this just shift over to them paying too much due to maturity and drops that you like to harp on?

If anything you should consider Johnson and Fitz fair.

OpIv37
03-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Well if they payed Johnson more, wouldn't this just shift over to them paying too much due to maturity and drops that you like to harp on?

If anything you should consider Johnson and Fitz fair.

The point is that Fitz and Johnson certainly are not examples of Ralph not being cheap. They're average contracts.

Philagape
03-08-2012, 12:10 PM
"He's better than some of the other crap we've had" is Symptom #1 of Addiction to Mediocrity. Comparing Bills to other Bills makes no relevant point whatsoever.

JCBills
03-08-2012, 12:13 PM
The point is that Fitz and Johnson certainly are not examples of Ralph not being cheap. They're average contracts.

He payed them at fair value. That doesn't make him cheap either.

Mahdi
03-08-2012, 12:18 PM
There really should be no argument on the Ralph being cheap issue.

When is the last time we went all out for a top FA like the rest of the teams in the league do?

Derrick Dockery. And before that was Spikes. We rarely pay top dollar for players who are in the top 5 at their position.

justasportsfan
03-08-2012, 12:30 PM

I'm not saying he's anything great. But when you consider him having those nos. with a NEW team/coach/qb/system, his nos. are not too shabby. Can't wait to see what he can do in his 2nd year.

wmoz11
03-08-2012, 12:40 PM

When is the last time we went all out for a top FA like the rest of the teams in the league do?

Derrick Dockery. And before that was Spikes. We rarely pay top dollar for players who are in the top 5 at their position.

Oh, look - more of the moronic logic that "whoever offers the most money gets the player." You don't know who we've gone "all-out" for. You just know the guys we've signed to big-money deals.

It takes two to make a deal and if the player doesn't want to come here then what can you do?

Mahdi
03-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Oh, look - more of the moronic logic that "whoever offers the most money gets the player." You don't know who we've gone "all-out" for. You just know the guys we've signed to big-money deals.

It takes two to make a deal and if the player doesn't want to come here then what can you do?
So its moronic to believe that as a general rule most FAs go to where they are paid the most??

Sorry but that is the reality and Buffalo rarely gets it done when it comes to FAs that can actually be game changers for us.

Even if we have to overpay for a couple years to get the best FAs to come here. Winning games would eventually convince FAs to come here without having to overpay and instead pay market value.

ddaryl
03-08-2012, 12:48 PM

Ralph is not cheap IMO, he, really sucked at hiring FO personnel. Got lucky with Polian, and then screwed that up. I am ok with Nix at this point, but the jury is still out

We've spent money plenty of times on players. We've spent money on our own players plenty of times, But the history of crappy FO personnel just meant when we did spend the money we got crappy value. Donahue cut Pat Williams and let Winfield walk, but TD made those decisions for whatever reasons. All of these bad FO decisins made it harder to sign quality players cause we are a perennial losing franchise, and the organization became gun shy do to over paying for players who did not produce at value.

We didn't spend to cap last year, but IMO that is all Nix decision as he is not rushing to rebuild this team with quick fixes, he is bringing together a core to build around with the right players. When the core is in place and we are 1 or 2 pro-bowlers away form a real Championship run I don't foresee any issue with the Bills spending large on a top 5 player.

OpIv37
03-08-2012, 12:52 PM
He payed them at fair value. That doesn't make him cheap either.

he's cheap for other reasons.

This signing is another "fair value" signing. Meathead's contention was that the Chandler signing proves Ralph isn't cheap. Lecter added that the Fitz and Stevie signings prove that Ralph isn't cheap.

They're both wrong. You're right in that these contracts don't make him cheap, but signing fair contracts does nothing to refute the fact that Ralph is cheap.

Dr. Lecter
03-08-2012, 12:56 PM

This signing is another "fair value" signing. Meathead's contention was that the Chandler signing proves Ralph isn't cheap. Lecter added that the Fitz and Stevie signings prove that Ralph isn't cheap.

They're both wrong. You're right in that these contracts don't make him cheap, but signing fair contracts does nothing to refute the fact that Ralph is cheap.

And Kyle Williams? Or Kelsay?

Mski
Back to the original topic.... Chandler, as most hve pointed out, is a Red Zone threat.... if that all he's good for, thats still pretty good, and the most important part of the field to be productive

OpIv37
Ralph is not cheap IMO, he, really sucked at hiring FO personnel. Got lucky with Polian, and then screwed that up. I am ok with Nix at this point, but the jury is still out

We've spent money plenty of times on players. We've spent money on our own players plenty of times, But the history of crappy FO personnel just meant when we did spend the money we got crappy value. Donahue cut Pat Williams and let Winfield walk, but TD made those decisions for whatever reasons. All of these bad FO decisins made it harder to sign quality players cause we are a perennial losing franchise, and the organization became gun shy do to over paying for players who did not produce at value.

We didn't spend to cap last year, but IMO that is all Nix decision as he is not rushing to rebuild this team with quick fixes, he is bringing together a core to build around with the right players. When the core is in place and we are 1 or 2 pro-bowlers away form a real Championship run I don't foresee any issue with the Bills spending large on a top 5 player.

One of the reasons why Ralph sucks at hiring FO personnel is precisely because he IS cheap. If he was willing to pay for top talent, he would have had better people in the FO.

justasportsfan
03-08-2012, 01:00 PM
One of the reasons why Ralph sucks at hiring FO personnel is precisely because he IS cheap. If he was willing to pay for top talent, he would have had better people in the FO.

I don't think Donahoe and Donahoe's hires were cheap.

ddaryl
03-08-2012, 01:01 PM

So using OP logic, if we sign players to over valued contracts.. **cough cough** Dockery **cough cough** this would prove Ralph isn't cheap.

Ralph isn't cheap he just sucks bad at bringing in the correct FO personnel. For every 1 decent hire he had 1/2 dozen crappy ones.

We've made plenty of memorable moves for players, but when the franchise is losing, mostly due to piss poor FO moves, then no high priced FA wants to play here. Even Peters who was offered almost the exact same deal Philly gave him was holding out to be overpaid to stay, and if you over pay players to stay then players expect to be overpaid to play here., so it wouldn't be smart to set such a precedent IMO.

JCBills
03-08-2012, 01:02 PM

Whaley and Nix's background would suggest they should be one hell of a FO duo.

San Diego and Pittsburgh. Teams that win often.

Changes are hard to see early on, but I'm hoping this 3rd season is when they're undeniably noticable.

ddaryl
03-08-2012, 01:03 PM

in regards to FO personnel I can agree, but players I do not.

wmoz11
03-08-2012, 01:05 PM
So its moronic to believe that as a general rule most FAs go to where they are paid the most??

Sorry but that is the reality and Buffalo rarely gets it done when it comes to FAs that can actually be game changers for us.

Even if we have to overpay for a couple years to get the best FAs to come here. Winning games would eventually convince FAs to come here without having to overpay and instead pay market value.

Moronic in general? No. Moronic when it comes to Buffalo specifically? Yes. No elite player wants to come here. The main point is that you have no idea how much we offered and to whom. We could have gone after elite players and offered more than what they were offered from the team that he chose.

Winning games would convince players to get here. If we can't win without the big time free agents, and we need the big time free agents to win, then we need to develop and draft VERY well and hopefully win games that way.

Just look at how many coaches turned us down the last time - despite the fact that we were going to offer big money. Now, imagine how players view us. Players who are generally less pragmatic than middle-aged coaches.

ThunderGun
03-08-2012, 01:09 PM

This.

Ralph has shown (at times) that he is willing to pay for players (Dockery, Kelsay, Triplet, Lee's monster extension). The problem is....they're the wrong players....because our front office has been incompetent for a while now, and they don't know any better. Because Ralph hasn't spent the money to get a front-office who knows what the hell they are doing....as evidenced by the fact that we haven't hit on a first round pick since 2001 (well Lynch was good, but then we just went and replaced him with ANOTHER 1st round pick, and ran him out of town).

Michael82
03-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Awesome news! Chandler was our best TE since Riemersma!

ddaryl
03-08-2012, 01:12 PM
This.

Ralph has shown (at times) that he is willing to pay for players (Dockery, Kelsay, Triplet, Lee's monster extension). The problem is....they're the wrong players....because our front office has been incompetent for a while now, and they don't know any better. Because Ralph hasn't spent the money to get a front-office who knows what the hell they are doing....as evidenced by the fact that we haven't hit on a first round pick since 2001 (well Lynch was good, but then we just went and replaced him with ANOTHER 1st round pick, and ran him out of town).

I agree on the FO, and our drafts had been horrible

but I still am not disappointed with our last 2 drafts. We're definitely drafting better

Lynch deserved to be run out of town, and Jackson is a better RB IMO, Spiller is coming around, and Dareus was a definite HIT

stuckincincy
03-08-2012, 01:14 PM
In the 52 year history of the Bills franchise - we have pretty much have Ernie Warlick and Pete Metzelaars to hang our hats on. Unless I'm missing somebody.

I think we own the record for ignoring the position.

BLeonard
03-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Just look at how many coaches turned us down the last time - despite the fact that we were going to offer big money. Now, imagine how players view us. Players who are generally less pragmatic than middle-aged coaches.

OK, here's my issue:

We all know that Ralph said that he was willing to pay "big money" for a coach... But, there is a HUGE difference between saying something and actually doing it.

Obviously, we don't know (and will likely never know) what was actually offered to guys like Cowher, Shanahan, etc, but we do know that Ralph refused to talk to guys like Marty Schottenheimer (Ralph's excuse was, he "wasn't comfortable" with him) and didn't talk to guys like Brian Billick (Billick was said to be assembling a staff as he anticipated getting a call from the Bills).

Now, combine that with coordinators turing interviews down and you have to ask: "Why weren't these guys even interested in interviewing?" My guess is, while we might not know the "behind the scenes" stuff at OBD, the people that work in the NFL for a living do know and there was obviously something that continues to keep the high-end coaches, coordinators and players out of Buffalo. If it's not money, it's something else, but my guess is, in the end, it has to do with Wilson and how the Front Office runs the team.

-Bill

BLeonard
03-08-2012, 01:20 PM
In the 52 year history of the Bills franchise - we have pretty much have Ernie Warlick and Pete Metzelaars to hang our hats on. Unless I'm missing somebody.

Jay Riemersma...? Keith McKeller wasn't bad, either.

-Bill

better days
03-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Well, I heard Chandler on Sirius radio this afternoon. Said he is blessed to be in Buffalo, the only place he wanted to be. Loves his coaches, teammates & the fans. Said it clicked for him in Buffalo because of Chan & getting an opportunity. Asked about the Bills resigning Stevie, he said "I'm not surprised, Stevie wanted to be in Buffalo."

Skooby
03-08-2012, 01:21 PM

We surely must own the record for ignoring the position.

Ralph pissed off the best GM we ever had after we had the most successfully period we ever had. I'd say that coaching / Front office is the most ignored position at 1BD, Re-treads / throw-aways is what we got. I'd plan on several more years of futility, until the ground gets the old man.

stuckincincy
03-08-2012, 01:22 PM

-Bill

Good memory! Real NFL legends, the both of them.

better days
03-08-2012, 01:22 PM

-Bill

In other words it has been a LONG TIME since the Bills have had a TE as good as Chandler & I think Chandler will prove to be a better TE than both Riemersma & McKeller by the time he is finished.

stuckincincy
03-08-2012, 01:26 PM
In other words it has been a LONG TIME since the Bills have had a TE as good as Chandler & I think Chandler will prove to be a better TE than both Riemersma & McKeller by the time he is finished.

May the Lord have mercy on us.

mikemac2001
03-08-2012, 01:28 PM
so whats the problem with this signing

keeping the core of our O

add another WR and get spiller/jackson in the mix i think we can score

we still need a pash rusher to have any shot tho

stuckincincy
03-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Nothing wrong with it - he's a decent chap, a gamer, has seemingly decent hands. not much of a blocker. Good backfill to round out a squad and to fill a ST spot.

JCBills
03-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Great way to look at it.

Locking up Stevie and Chandler allows the team to go that much more defense-heavy in early rounds.

I know people like to get huffy over BPA, but balancing need and BPA is what most actually do depending on round. Later rounds are usually the BPA picks or "guys we didn't think would be there"

BPA is also relative to the team looking at the prospects.

If they balance BPA and need early on, I think we'll see the focus on defense early. I do still think they might slip a QB, WR, or OT into the first 4 rounds.

camelcowboy
03-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Awesome news! Chandler was our best TE since Riemersma!way to sell Bobby Collins short.

stuckincincy
03-08-2012, 01:52 PM
way to sell Bobby Collins short.

Such promise that 4th rounder had...

http://www.nfl.com/player/bobbycollins/2500144/profile

mayotm
03-08-2012, 01:52 PM

For the record, does anybody know Metzelaars' career high for TD's in a season? I'll save you the research, it was six. The same number Chandler had last season playing in 14 games. Metzelaars only had three seasons with more than the 38 catches Chandler had last year. I'm not suggesting Chandler is as good as Metzelaars. I'm not suggesting Chandler is more than average. However, last year was the first year he's had a chance to play and he was relatively productive. Especially for an offense that doesn't feature the TE. This is a decent signing that prevents TE from being another area of immediate need.

ThunderGun
03-08-2012, 02:06 PM
I agree on the FO, and our drafts had been horrible

but I still am not disappointed with our last 2 drafts. We're definitely drafting better

Lynch deserved to be run out of town, and Jackson is a better RB IMO, Spiller is coming around, and Dareus was a definite HIT
I loved our last draft, but 2010 was terrible. We spent our 1st round pick on a change-of-pace rb, who was 3rd on our depth chart (2nd after we shipped Lynch out), then took Troup over Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham, and then Carrington...neither of whom can even get onto the field. Then an injury-prone, one year wonder WR from UCONN, and a scub OT who happens to be chinese. With the exception of Spiller, our entire 2010 draft class will be out of the NFL in 3 years.

And to say Lynch deserved to be run out of town is just silly. When your team has as many holes as ours does, you can't afford to spin your wheels by spending 1st round picks on players who don't fill a position of need. How exactly did Spiller make our team any better? Can he rush the passer? Can he protect the QB? I agree that he looked promising at the end of last year, but good teams don't waste 1st round picks on RB's....especially when RB is, BY FAR, the position that they are currently deepest at, and they have holes at just about every other position.

justasportsfan
03-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Obviously, we don't know (and will likely never know) what was actually offered to guys like Cowher, Shanahan, etc, but we do know that Ralph refused to talk to guys like Marty Schottenheimer (Ralph's excuse was, he "wasn't comfortable" with him) and didn't talk to guys like Brian Billick (Billick was said to be assembling a staff as he anticipated getting a call from the Bills).

Now, combine that with coordinators turing interviews down and you have to ask: "Why weren't these guys even interested in interviewing?" My guess is, while we might not know the "behind the scenes" stuff at OBD, the people that work in the NFL for a living do know and there was obviously something that continues to keep the high-end coaches, coordinators and players out of Buffalo. If it's not money, it's something else, but my guess is, in the end, it has to do with Wilson and how the Front Office runs the team.

-Bill

The fact that we tried to get Cowher means Ralph was willing to pay but Cowher wasn't interested then and isn't interested NOW. We also tried to get Shanahan and I'm glad we didn't get him. Those are two big named coaches that we could give Ralphy the benefit of the doubt that he was willing.

OpIv37
03-08-2012, 03:28 PM
So using OP logic, if we sign players to over valued contracts.. **cough cough** Dockery **cough cough** this would prove Ralph isn't cheap.

Ralph isn't cheap he just sucks bad at bringing in the correct FO personnel. For every 1 decent hire he had 1/2 dozen crappy ones.

We've made plenty of memorable moves for players, but when the franchise is losing, mostly due to piss poor FO moves, then no high priced FA wants to play here. Even Peters who was offered almost the exact same deal Philly gave him was holding out to be overpaid to stay, and if you over pay players to stay then players expect to be overpaid to play here., so it wouldn't be smart to set such a precedent IMO.

And who has Ralph spent money on SINCE Dockery? He was cheap, he decided not to be cheap one time, he got burned, he went right back to being cheap.

JCBills
03-08-2012, 03:31 PM
And who has Ralph spent money on SINCE Dockery? He was cheap, he decided not to be cheap one time, he got burned, he went right back to being cheap.

We don't know who they offered.

A FA could have had an equal offer from a winning team and opted for that instead.

djjimkelly
03-08-2012, 03:33 PM

Jay Riemersma was a very solid TE

Fitzpatrick'sbeard
03-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Awesome Chandler jersey here I come! one more question should I get it in home or away? maybe I'll flip a coin :laughing:

Mski
03-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Awesome Chandler jersey here I come! one more question should I get it in home or away? maybe I'll flip a coin :laughing:dont be mad, just because someone beat you to the story before you could cut and paste it

warsawbassman
03-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Basicly this thread has degenerated into "Ralph is cheap because he lets good players walk" or "Ralph is cheap because he is signing the players we already have" depending on which side of your ass your talking out of, which is what a good many people here excell at...talking out of there ass.

Meathead
03-08-2012, 05:38 PM
told ya

BLeonard
03-08-2012, 06:10 PM
The fact that we tried to get Cowher means Ralph was willing to pay but Cowher wasn't interested then and isn't interested NOW. We also tried to get Shanahan and I'm glad we didn't get him. Those are two big named coaches that we could give Ralphy the benefit of the doubt that he was willing.

Not in a smart-ass way... But how do you know that Ralph was willing to pay, simply because they had a conversation with Cowher and/or Shanahan?

So, you mean to tell me that they were willing to pay guys like Cowher and Shanahan whatever they would want, yet since they turned the Bills down, #3 on the list was Chan Gailey, a guy that was out of football before the Bills came calling?

IMO, There has to be some names that fall between Bill Cowher and Chan Gailey, when you're talking about NFL Head Coaches.

Why was Ralph "uncomfortable" with Marty Schottenheimer... would Shotty have wanted more money, more control (or perhaps both) than Ralph was willing to give?

Why did Brian Billick (who has one more Super Bowl ring than Ralph) not even get a phone call?

Why did coordinators flat out refuse an interview for a potential promotion?

The point is, even in the cases where Ralph might not have been "cheap" necessarily, I'd be willing to bet that the perception of Wilson is that he is cheap, especially when it comes to Front office and Coaching.

Hell, look at part of the transcript from Stevie's press conference:

On how important it is to find Johnson a complimentary wide receiver to play with:

We’re going to go, and people say we’re cheap and we won’t do that, but we’re going to go after guys that can help us. It may not be receivers. I think we’ve got good guys to go with him. I think Stevie would tell you the same thing. We’ve got talent. Everybody talks about speed on the other side away from him, deep speed. We’ve got guys out there that can run. It’s a matter of keeping him healthy and keeping him on the field. That doesn’t mean we won’t sign another receiver and it doesn’t mean we won’t draft one but I do think we’ve got a good group.

So, the preception is certainly out there... And, I highly doubt it's just the fans that have that perception.

-Bill

justasportsfan
03-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Not in a smart-ass way... But how do you know that Ralph was willing to pay, simply because they had a conversation with Cowher and/or Shanahan?

-Bill

I don't know but based on what is implied in this thread, Ralph only goes for cheap coaches. Well there were talks between Ralph -Cowher -Shanahan. Where theres smoke there's fire. Again, I am not saying he was going to pay him the $$$ but it's either here nor there just like whether he's truly cheap is neither here nor there.

Donahoe didn't come cheap and niether did the FA's he brought in or the trades he made then (Drew). It is not however Ralphies fault that Donahoe hired "yes ma'ams" for coaches. That all Donahoes ego.

As for Dick, that was MArv's decision too.

better days
03-09-2012, 08:51 AM

So, you mean to tell me that they were willing to pay guys like Cowher and Shanahan whatever they would want, yet since they turned the Bills down, #3 on the list was Chan Gailey, a guy that was out of football before the Bills came calling?

-Bill

Cowher recommended that the Bills sign Chan Gailey. I am happy the Bills listened to Bill & followed his recommendation. Who would you have had them sign instead?

Dr. Lecter
03-09-2012, 08:55 AM
ot in a smart-ass way... But how do you know that Ralph was willing to pay, simply because they had a conversation with Cowher and/or Shanahan?

Money was not the issue with Cowher. The money offerred was enough.